CHAPT 6

FORCES OF LOVE

'Is this class ever going to end?' Tiffany whispered to Taeyeon. Their Geography teacher was droning on and on about the new chapter they were learning that day.

It was the last lesson of the day. The air in the classroom was humid and warm. All the lights in the classroom were switched off to allow the projector to shine brightly onto the screen. Everyone in class was half dead. On the outside, they were as silent as mice. But on the inside, they were all screaming to be released from that hell hole of a classroom. They were all about to reach their boiling points. None of them could take it any longer. Taeyeon had been counting down to the end of the class by tallying the number of minutes that had passed in her textbook.

Just as she was about to bang her head on her desk out of sheer helplessness, their saviour, the school bell, rang.

'GOD BLESS THE BELL,' Hyoyeon screamed at the top of her lungs. Cheers from her newly-energized classmates followed. She couldn't care less if their teacher was standing right there in front of them. Enough was enough.

Taeyeon quickly packed her things as soon as the bell rang. It wasn't actually packing; more like shoving her books haphazardly into her backpack, the way she did everyday after class. She just wanted to leave the school grounds asap. She zipped her bag and bade Tiffany goodbye. She rushed out of class, her eyes focused on the stairs at the end of the hallway that would lead her to freedom. That was all she could see, having blocked out everything in her surroundings.

'Yah Kim Taeyeon!'

She heard someone call her name. She instantly turned her head to trace the source of the sound. And then it hit her.

She was supposed to stay back in school to prepare for the fair that day.

'Let's go! Don't wanna keep the kids waiting!' Baekhyun said, crushing her hopes of going home immediately.

'Noooooo!' Her knees felt weak. She kneeled down on the floor of the corridor and whimpered.

Baekhyun only tolerated her meltdown for 10 seconds before calling her a drama queen and yanking her by the sleeve, all the way to class 1A. They were quite a sight to all the year 4 students who had started to pour out of the classrooms.

'Baekhyun-ah.. why don't we start tomorrow. It's already late. Don't you secretly want to go home? Hmm? Hmm?' Taeyeon wasn't giving up. She went all up in Baekhyun's face and kept pestering him.

Baekhyun put his hand right in front of her face and pushed it backwards until the distance between their faces increased.

'In case you forgot, you were the one who insisted on this.'

'I was wrong. I made a mistake. Please let me take it back,' Taeyeon repeatedly begged like a sinner asking for forgiveness, just as they were about to arrive at class 1A.

Baekhyun said nothing and instead, pushed her through the front door with his hands on her shoulders.

'No turning back now,' he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1A)

'Omo! They're here!' one of the girls shrieked.

All the students prepared themselves. They rested their heads on their palms, supporting their elbows on their desks. They wanted to be in a comfortable position to witness any drama that could potentially unfold between Baekhyun and Taeyeon.

'Okay, class, have you decided what theme you will be doing?'

'Ne,' they answered synchronically.
'We're doing photosynthesis and we're calling it 'The secret life of plants'', continued one of the students.

Taeyeon giggled upon hearing their idea. Even Baekhyun couldn't help but burst into a chuckle. If there was one thing those two nerds had in common, it was their love for lame science jokes and slogans.

'That's good,' Taeyeon said.

'Okay so how will you be presenting your booth? Games, experiments?' Baekhyun asked. He picked up a marker and wrote their title in big letters on the whiteboard.

'We can prepare regular and destarched plants then allow visitors to add iodine themselves to see the colour changes? What do you think, guys?' suggested the class rep.

'Yeah we can do that,' another chimed in.

'Okay since you guys seem to be coming up with ideas without our help, we'll leave you to discuss some more, okay?' Taeyeon said. They still had more classes to visit that evening.

'Class rep, please send me the full list of your activities by tonight for approval. If it passes, you can start preparations tomorrow,' Baekhyun informed.

And with that, they left for the next class. Taeyeon exhaled in relief. They had managed to make it through without getting in each other's way.

(2B)

'Okay, so your theme is sound and you'll be having games, and prizes, right?'

'Yupp,' quipped one of the girls.

Taeyeon was clarifying the details of Class 2B's booth before she and Baekhyun were done for the day. This was their fourth class visit that day and they were exhausted.

She was positioned beneath the edge of rolled up screen, as she wrote on the whiteboard in big, neat handwriting.

Baekhyun, on the other hand, was leaning against the teacher's table. He faced Taeyeon's right side, watching what she wrote on the board. Having done most of the talking in the previous class, he decided to take a break and let Taeyeon do the work this time round.

'Class rep? Please keep all receipts of the stuff you're gonna buy for the prizes. Pass them to me and the school will reimburse-'

'SUNBAE WATCH OUT!' the students shouted as they watched the screen above Taeyeon unroll and fall, in horror.

Baekhyun's eyes widened in shock as he too, as he saw the screen about to fall.

When Taeyeon finally realized what was about to hit her, she found that she was stuck to the ground. She was blinded with panic and her muscles simply wouldn't work. Her fingers froze, letting go of the marker in her hands.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion in the eyes of all 30 people present in the classroom.

Realizing there was nothing she could do, she closed her eyes and waited for the impact to hit her. But it didn't. All she felt was a pair of arms wrapped around her. Suddenly, she found herself swiveling away from the falling screen.

And then she heard the loud crash of the whole heavy screen onto the ground, and her heart skipped a beat. Her body was pressed tightly against another, her face buried in the chest of the other.
Realizing the position she was in, she immediately looked up and saw his face.

'BAEKHYUN SUNBAE, YOU SAVED HER!' the scream of a female student was heard. The entire class started clapping. Some students were clutching their chests, relieved that Taeyeon wasn't hurt.

The two remained that way for a few seconds, both of them too stunned to move away from each other. They stared into each other's eyes, words unable to leave their lips.

Upon hearing the noise from the rejoicing class, they were brought back to reality. Baekhyun immediately released his grip on Taeyeon. She stepped backwards, trying to distance herself from him. She lost her bearings, and was trying to balance herself as she did so. Her heart was beating furiously.

The gravity of the situation hit her. She could have seriously injured her head. Baekhyun had saved her from the screen falling onto her...

Baekhyun had saved her.