CHAPT 13 - FINALE

FORCES OF LOVE

CHAPT 13

 
Finally, d-day. 
 
All the students of Soonshin High were adding the last-minute touches to their booths. They were bumping into each other as they ran around the gym, trying to pull it together. The science fair would officially begin in half an hour, yet it felt like just 10 minutes. 
 
'Time flies when you're having fun, huh,' Baekhyun remarked sarcastically as he expertly dodged Taeyeon that was sprinting in his direction, or more specifically, the booth he was standing in front of. Taeyeon snickered, although she didn't stop moving. 
 
She and Baekhyun were checking on all the booths for the last time before they would resume their positions at the gym's entrance to welcome the guests. 
 
They were excited to finally get it over and done with, but a part of both of them felt sad that once the fair was over, they would no longer have a reason to meet up. 
 
'Taeyeon! Quickly get to the entrance, someone spotted the guests from Daehan High entering the school gates,' Chanyeol called out to her from afar. 
 
'Ohmygod! Baekhyun! Come on lets go!' She hollered, before running off yet again. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
'Annyeonghasaeyo,'
'My name is Kim Taeyeon,' 
'And I am Byun Baekhyun,'
'Welcome to Soonshin High's science fair!' the two of them continuously greeted guests in perfect harmony.
 
The latest school to visit was Seungri Academy, an all-boys school, which was located just a few blocks away from their own school. 
 
Baekhyun eyed Taeyeon to see if she had any interest in the boys that were famous for being perfect 10s among all the schools in the district. He tried looking for signs in her gestures and even if her eyes were extra bright or not. Taeyeon was being her normal, cheery, self. However, in the midst of scanning her expressions, he hadn't realized the ravenous look on one of the boys' faces. He was tall, dark, unbelievably good looking, and muscular. He stared at Taeyeon like she was fresh meat, and he wanted to eat her up, much to Taeyeon's oblivion. 
 
Taeyeon and Baekhyun were giving them a tour around the fair, and Baekhyun had finally caught onto the situation after coincidentally turning his head in the boy's direction. 
 
Baekhyun's eyes widened in terror as he watched Taecyeon (or at least that's what he heard someone call the boy) inch closer towards Taeyeon until they were side-by-side, arms rubbing against each other as they sauntered through the gym. 
 
'Do something!' Baekhyun's inner voice screamed. 'What can I do without looking suspicious??' his brain hissed back. The conflict inside Baekhyun was hushed when his eyes captured the exact moment when Taecyeon 'accidentally' touched Taeyeon's hand. 
 
Without another word from his conscience, he found himself squeezing through the non-existent gap between Taecyeon and Taeyeon. 
 
'Okay, everyone! This is the end of the tour for today. You are free to explore all the booths now. Enjoy!' He announced loudly to the boys, before hastily grabbing Taeyeon's hand and whisking her away. 
 
'Yah! We weren't done! What did you do that for?' she snatched her hand back from him, an agitated look evident on her face. 'They were very attentive and I would've liked to show them around a little more!'
 
'We have other guests to attend to, not just them!' he snapped back. He had just rescued her from the likes of a Seungri playboy, yet she was treating him ungratefully?! 'In case you forgot, we also have to supervise the whole event too!'
 
Taeyeon fell silent. She didn't feel like arguing anymore, it would waste too much of her energy. She avoided Baekhyun's eyes and pretended like he wasn't even there anymore, before storming off in a different direction. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Her good mood had turned sour within
seconds because of Baekhyun. In retrospect, Baekhyun did make sense, she had to admit it. But she couldn't help but be furious at him because he had rudely interrupted her and killed her mojo. 
 
She went back to her own class' booth, where she met her friends. Sensing a dark cloud above Taeyeon's head, Tiffany and Hyoyeon gave her a squeeze while Chanyeol swung his arm around her shoulder. Their happy, goofy selves made Taeyeon lighten up a little. They even fed her chocolate and sat her down on a chair to give her a quick massage. 
 
'Aigoo, our child is tired from standing around all day,' Hyoyeon said in an old lady voice as she massaged Taeyeon's exposed calves. The foursome burst into laughter, officially restoring Taeyeon's original mood. 
 
'Guys, I was giving the seungri boys a tour earlier. And Baekhyun interrupted me and pulled me away from them,' she suddenly blurted out. 
 
'Huh?' Hyoyeon was puzzled. Just a  few seconds earlier they were chuckling over something completely unrelated. 
 
'Then I got upset and stormed off,' she continued, ignoring her friends' confused faces. 'Aaaand that's how I ended up here.' 
 
Finally comprehending the situation, Tiffany's previous expression changed into a knowing one. 'He's probably jealous.' 
 
'Huh?' Now Taeyeon was the confused one. 'Why would he be jealous??' she was adamant to find out. 
 
'Think about it,' Chanyeol elaborated. 'The handsome prince-like Seungri Academy boys getting chummy with Kim Taeyeon. Who wouldn't be jealous,' he added, as if it was a no-brainer.
 
'Yeah, that does make sense,' Hyoyeon vouched. 
 
'I still don't believe that,' Taeyeon said stubbornly.
 
'Suit yourself,' Tiffany quipped. 'But you still should apologize to him. Technically you're not supposed to abandon your organizer duties, yknow.'
 
'UGHHH WHY IS MY LIFE SO HARD,' Taeyeon groaned in frustration. She buried her face in her face for a few silent moments before slowly getting up from her seat, weakly waving her hand at the three, then heading back to see Baekhyun. 
 
The first place the thought of to go was the entrance. But by the time she got there, he was no where to be found. 
 
'That's strange,' Taeyeon muttered under her breath. 'Where else would he be?'
 
She asked around for him but no one knew where he was either. Taeyeon was starting to get worried. Was he so upset with her that he, too, left? Her lazy reluctant movement turned jumpy, fidgety and quick as she ran out of the gym to search for him. 
 
She didn't have to look that far, because just as she was about to race down a flight of stairs to get to the ground floor, she spotted the back of a guy at the top of the stairs. 
 
Quietly and warily, she tiptoed around the guy to see his side profile. Guess who. 
 
'Baekhyun! Where have you been? I was looking everywhere for you!' 
 
'I should be asking you the same thing,' he replied nonchalantly as he continued to play a game on his phone, without even bothering to look up at the red-faced Taeyeon.
 
Her reflex action was to vent out her anger, but when she slowly regained her rationale, she remembered why she wanted to see him in the first place. 
 
'Look, I know I shouldn't have walked out on you in the midst of duties.'
 
Interested to hear the rest, he paused his game and put his phone down. 
 
'I'm sorry and I hope you'll forgive me,' she continued, prompting him to look up at her. 
 
How could he not forgive her when she had that adorable, pitiful, regretful look on her face. As irritated by her rash actions as he was, he still couldn't find the heart to continue giving her the cold shoulder. 
 
Subconsciously, the words 'It's okay, let's go back inside' came out of his mouth before he could even realize what he was doing. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The science fair had just ended. Everyone was taking down the decorations, and packing all their props from the booths. 
 
Two proud and satisfied students stood side by side at the entrance, having just sent off the last group of visitors. It was the kind of pride parents felt when their kids graduated from college. 
 
All the arguing, late nights, near-death accidents and hard work had finally paid off. 
 
Small smiles crept onto their faces, as they watched the fair finally, officially come to an end. 
 
'We did it, huh,' Baekhyun said in amazement. 
 
'Yeah, I guess we did,' Taeyeon retorted with a little smirk, as she turned to her side to face him. 
 
She raised her arm, with her palm open, for a high-five. Baekhyun, too, turned to face her, and smacked his slender hand against hers.
 
What happened next took Taeyeon by surprise. Baekhyun, whose heart was completely controlling him, didn't retract his palm from hers. Instead, he laced his fingers through hers and clasped his fingers onto the back of her palm. 
 
Without letting go, he took a step towards her, and leaned in, tilted his head, closed his eyes and went in for the kiss. 
 
Her eyes nearly popped out of its sockets. There, her crush was, their bodies technically joined together. 
 
Digesting the situation, she slowly closed her eyes and kissed him back. 
  
                          ~~
 
'Aaaahhh, young love,' Mr. Oh said knowingly as he watched his two students who he had known to be arch-enemies, very classily kiss each other with their hands intertwined in the middle of the entrance of the school gym.