CHAPT 1

FORCES OF LOVE

(4A)

Class 4A, located furthest down the hall burst with life right after chemistry class ended. Just two seconds earlier, the classroom was literally dead - half of the class either daydreaming or asleep, while the other half had their heads resting on their hands. Their eyes were a little too widely open. Scratch that. More like a little too widely pried open. Mr. Oh kept talking about iron extraction. The students kept thinking about what they were having for lunch that day. Kim Taeyeon, pale skin, brown hair, brown eyes (of course you couldn't tell what colour they were since they were shut closed), was woken from her light slumber, when her teacher called her to his desk.

'Miss Taeyeon, come to the front now.'

She jumped from her seat, clearly startled. She fixed her uniform as she got up and walked to the front. Her classmates chuckled proudly, as if to say, 'Aaahh. Yeokshi our resident sleepyhead.'

'Taeyeon, please meet me outside the teacher's room after your last class ends,' Mr. Oh was busily packing his laptop and books.

'Ne, seonsaengnim. What is it about?' Taeyeon put on her most unnatural and awkward smile.

'Tell you then.'

And with that, he zipped his bag and rushed out of Class 4A to go to his next class. Taeyeon was left standing in front of the teacher's desk, where she was summoned, clueless.

'Aishhh. I wanted to rest before the next class but he called me to the front to speak to me. Then he says two sentences and walks out of class just like that. So irritating!' Taeyeon started ranting at her best friend and tablemate, Tiffany, the second she got back to her desk.

'Woah, slow down sister. One, you already slept during class. That's enough rest. Two, our desk is like a metre away from the teacher's table cmon taeng,' Tiffany rolled her eyes. How lazy can her bff be.

'Yeah, yeah,' Taeyeon made a face and stuck her tongue out at Tiffany. The latter just laughed at her childish friend as she took her math books out for the next lesson.

(4B)

'Baekhyun! Please see me after this!' Mr. Oh called out from the teacher's desk.

'Ne!' Baekhyun briefly replied without even looking up from his textbook. His eyes were glued to the diagram of the blast furnace. He was trying to memorize all the chemical equations he had learnt that day during the lesson.

Mr. Oh wasn't even bothered by the fact that Baekhyun didn't even look up to respond to him. He didn't think it was disrespectful at all.

'What an earnest and hardworking kid. If only the other students were like him. Especially that gizibe Kim Taeyeon. With her brains, she'd only need to work half as hard as Baekhyun to beat the school's top student record. What a waste,' Mr. Oh thought to himself as he watched the students of Class 4B pack their bags and get ready to go home.

Class 4B was just next to Class 4A along the hall. Yet they were worlds apart. 4B was more interested in studying to ace the national exams whereas 4A had the greatest bond and wanted to enjoy their adolescence.

No one in 4B slept during lessons. They were also very responsive. In fact, they were too responsive. They jumped up and down from their seats to answer questions like their lives depended on it. They fought to win quizzes like it was the freaking hunger games. All the teachers loved them. They were dubbed as the school's angels.

'Guys! Don't forget to study for tomorrow's test!' The class president shouted as he was about to leave the classroom.

'As if these saints would ever forget to study,' snickered Mr. Oh, as he rolled his eyes.

Yes, he was still in the classroom. He was waiting for Baekhyun to pack so they could leave together. He was extremely fond of Baekhyun, in case you didn't notice.

'Baekhyun-ah, kkachi kaja!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Mr. Oh!' Taeyeon called out as she saw Mr. Oh and Baekhyun exit the lift. She was seated on the couch opposite the office. She had been waiting for at least 5 mins.

She hated waiting.

'Uh what's he doing here,' she thought to herself when she saw Baekhyun. She never really liked him, or anyone from 4B for that matter.

Baekhyun blatantly ignored her as he listened to what Mr. Oh had to say.

'Okay so the two of you must be wondering why I gathered you here. There will be a science fair held next week in school. You two will be in charge of the whole thing.'

'WHAT?!' Baekhyun and Taeyeon shouted simultaneously.

'Each class will have a booth, so there'll be 8 booths. You will organize and supervise the event. Students and teachers from other schools in our district will also be invited so make sure that the school's rep is maintained. Any questions?' Mr. Oh was talking so fast he was basically rapping.

'No questions? Okay see you guys,' he answered himself just as Baekhyun was about to open his mouth. Then he walked into the teacher's room, leaving Baekhyun and Taeyeon in their state of shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Omo! Omo ottokae?!' Taeyeon paced back and forth in the canteen. She was pulling her hair out of frustration. 15 minutes ago, Mr. Oh had dropped a bomb on her. She has been yelling 'ottokae' since.

'Will you pipe down? I'm trying to think,' Baekhyun hissed at her from the table where they had dumped their bags on.

'You know what. I'll just call Mr. Oh and tell him how we feel about this,' Baekhyun suggested. He took his phone out of his pocket and furiously searched for Mr. Oh's phone number in his contacts.

Taeyeon, who wanted in on the conversation, rushed over to the round table. She was more than ready to give Mr. Oh a piece of her mind.

'Yah put it on loudspeaker!' she pestered Baekhyun until he complied.

'Hello Mr. Oh? It's Baekhyun here-'

'And Taeyeon!'

'You can't do this to us. We are seniors. Do you know how busy we are?? We don't have time to organize the whole thing! Can't you assign this task to the juniors?'

'Mr. Oh we already end late and now you're expecting us to stay in school and work on this too?? I have to attend tuition classes after school. I can't cancel those for this,' Taeyeon chimed in.

'No. You are in charge. No buts. You two are the top students. I'm sure not studying at home for a few days won't make your intelligence deteriorate. So stop being dramatic and just do it.'

Taeyeon groaned. Then she screamed. 'I HATE THIS SCHOOL UGH!!!!!'

'I'm feeling generous today so I'll give extra credit points to the both of you if you can pull this off.'

'You better!' Baekhyun threatened.

'Okay don't call me anymore. Bye kids.' And with that, Mr. Oh hung up on them.

Baekhyun banged the table with his fists. Taeyeon, who had put her head on the table to try to calm herself down, was startled. She glared at Baekhyun for disrupting her peace but he simply ignored her and took out his leather notebook. The word 'Baekhyun' was embossed into the cover of the notebook in big, bold letters.

'Self-absorbed much,' Taeyeon thought to herself when she saw the notebook.

Baekhyun started writing quickly. He never had a specific handwriting. It always varied according to mood and other factors. It was as if he had his own font. At that moment, his letters were big, cursive, and briskly written. And that only meant one thing- Byun Baekhyun meant business.

'Listen up, Taeyeon. Tomorrow, I will make an announcement during assembly about the science fair. I will get all the classes to decide on their theme by the end of the day. After school, we will meet all the class reps for them to inform us about their class' decision. We also have to make sure that there aren't any theme clashes between the classes. Then we have to go to each class review their ideas and plans. We will help them prepare if they need us and we'll also have to keep checking on their progress. Everything should be ready the day before the fair.'

Taeyeon tried her best to digest everything Baekhyun had just said.

'I think it'd be more efficient if we split up when we supervise the classes. Like I can take all the As and you can take the Bs.'

'No that won't do,' Baekhyun said as he busily wrote in his notebook. Taeyeon was surprised that he actually heard what she just said.

'Well why not? We don't have much time to prepare so we have to manage it properly. Each class doesn't need two supervisors,' Taeyeon wasn't satisfied by Baekhyun's 4 word statement.

'Uh it does need two, especially when one of them is Kim Taeyeon.'

'What's that supposed to mean?!' Taeyeon was outraged. Baekhyun was not only plain rude; He was also offensive!

'It means that I don't trust you enough to handle a class on your own because we all know how unreliable you are.' Baekhyun looked up from his book to stare right into Taeyeon's eyes,

'Unreliable?! I am responsible and I can easily come up with the themes and games for each and every booth. Helping out a bunch of kids is nothing,' Taeyeon was on defense mode. Baekhyun had woken the beast inside her.

'Stop acting like you're so smart, Kim Taeyeon. You're just a lazy girl who got lucky.'

'Get out of my face, Byun Baekhyun. Everyone knows that you're only able to get to where I am by working your little off. I do it without even trying. This fair is mine. I can handle it so get lost. Go and study or something.'

'Please. I bet you don't even know what date today is. Yet you think you can pull this whole thing off without my help.'

Taeyeon's face turned a bright shade of red. No one in school had ever dared to talk to her like that. She wanted to slap the smirk off his face so badly. He crossed the line and she wasn't having any of it.

' you, stupid bastard,' she hissed right into his right ear before she took her bag and stormed out of the school gates. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins as she clenched her fists and kicked every object that was in her way. Stones and leaves went flying in every direction.

Baekhyun and his idiotic notebook could rot in hell for all she cared.