Of Yoona and Jongin

The Time I Fell In Love

Yoona’s POV

 

Kai is the most popular guy in school.  He is a tall, athletic, handsome, tanned and humble boy from university.  I met him a year ago.  I was about to turn seventeen and I was preparing to enter university. I went to the library to buy the material I was going to need, one of the books was on the last shelf, I struggled a lot trying to catch it when suddenly someone stepped behind my back and took the book for me.

 

“Is this one?”  A tall man asked handing the book to me.  I took it and read the title.

 

“Yes, thank you”  I said.  To be honest the first time I met Kai I only noticed he was tall, so I wouldn’t say my story with Kai is a love at first sight kind of story.

 

Kais’ POV

 

“This is normal.  The cliff is not even that high. He is going to be fine” I kept repeating myself one day me and my friends forced a guy to jump from a cliff in order to join our fraternity. That particular cliff scares the out of me so I need to see if someone can survive it, does that makes me a selfish person?  I don’t know.  Maybe.  Since I can remember I have always been the popular guy.  I have always had the same friends, some of them I don’t even like. Since I can remember everyone wants to be like me… except me.  The only thing I enjoy I have to hide and it is not even a big secret.  I Kim Jongin like to read, but none of my friends know it. That’s why when I am not in school, trying to hide how good of student I am, or practicing sports, or going to parties, I come to the library, grab a book and read it.  That’s the way I met her. Usually nothing interrupts me when I am concentrated, and believe me, that day I was super focused. I just made a little stop to sneeze. When I raised my head I found her.  She wasn’t looking at me. She was standing on the other hall, almost as concentrated as me looking for books.  I kept looking at her for what I believe transformed into fifteen minutes.  When I saw her whining over a book she couldn’t reach, watching the pouts and angry faces for not been able to catch that book a smile drew on my face, so I decided to go there and help her.

 

“Is this one?”  I asked, not looking at the book but looking at her.

 

“Yes, thank you”  the beautiful girl said looking at the book. 

 

“Macroeconomics? Really?”  I asked again looking the title of the book.  I made my move to start a conversation.

 

“Until you? Really?” She asked looking at the titlle of my book and making fun of me. I didn’t see that coming.  I hid my book ashamed.  “No, sorry.  I totally respect your taste, it’s just I read Rosamund and I decided to stop reading that particular saga”

 

“So you like to read?”

 

“I love reading”  I scratched my head nervous, my heart was racing and I hadn’t even kiss her.

 

 

Yoona’s POV

 

One week after I turned seventeen I started university. My hopes to be in the same classes as my six years crush disappeared when we found the only class we could take together was Economics, something Seunghyun was not willing to learn.

 

“Hi, is this sit taken?”  a boy asked pointing at the empty sit next to me.  The economics class was about to start.

 

“No”  I answered.  When the class started I kept biting my lip and looking at the girls sitting behind me. They were whispering to the point I wasn’t concentrated anymore, and if I hate something in this world is to lose my focus.

 

“Miss Im?”  The teacher asked.

 

“What?”  I answered as the whole class laughed at me.  The boy sitting next to me raised his hand.  His face looked familiar.

 

 “Yes Jongin” The teacher let him answer.

 

“The opportunity cost is the value of the best alternative forgone, in a situation in which a choice needs to be made between several mutually exclusice alternatives given limited resources”  I was really annoyed when the boy next to me smiled feeling like he had saved me, because I know for sure what is an opportunity cost.

 

“Miss Im, I know you took a colocation exam and the department said you should be in this class but if you don’t know the content I suggest you to change to a less advanced classroom”  Since my reputation was on line I decided to spent the rest of the class answering the questions the teacher throw.  The boy next to me started to answer too and the class became a war between him and me.  We were constantly fighting to be the first to raise the hand to have the chance to participate.  When the bell rang my teacher smiled at me, a sign that I understood as “you are sufficient intelligent to be in this class”.  I was preparing myself for lunch when a bunch of girls came to the table and talked to the boy sitting next to me.  I looked at him curious I was sure I had seen him before, but I had to hurry to meet Seunghyun so I left the place flying.

 

Kai’s POV

 

After our two hours conversation about books, she just...left.  I thought she would at least give me her number, but she didn’t.  I went to the library the next day at the same hour, but she didn’t appeared.  I went for the rest of the week, but nothing.  Just when I thought I was over her, she appeared in my Economics class.  I was so dumb; of course she would take Economics.  I met her holding an economics book. I sat next to her, but she didn’t even noticed. I was angry, so angry. I was Kim Jongin, the king of school, my face is not a face someone bumps into everyday in a library right? Like I said I am a dumb and I am happy Yoona found me.  I really believe Yoona found me and I will be forever grateful to God to sent her to me.  The next day Iin Economics Yoona had changed her seat. I followed her.

“Can I seat here?”  I asked.

 

“Yeah, sure”  Yoona answered reading her book. Suddenly annoyed she turned around. “Listen, I really don’t know what is your problem but you interrupt my studying. I am a scholarship student and I had to change my seat till the back of the class because yesterday you couldn’t shut up, so please, leave me alone, go seat somewhere else but don’t interrupt me!” I most admit I found her little tantrum funny.

 

“Relax, we are not trying to be next to you, but next to Kai, the guy sitting next to you” Yoona looked at me, took her backpack and changed her seat.  From that moment I was part of her black list.  She never sat next to me again in the class, but I found another way to stay next to her, my friends help me, although not in the best way.

 

 

Yoona’s POV

 

“Hi! My name is Kim Jongin, I met you a month ago by chance in the library, you might not remember me but I do remember you.  We are taking Economics together. I wanted to seat next to you because you are the only person in the class I know, I am sorry if my fans teased you the first class I asked them not to do that again” that was the way Jongin officially introduced.  I felt like the whole school was looking at us.

 

“I thought you were Kai”  I said when I finished swallowing my sandwich.

 

“Kai is my nickname”

 

“I see.  Oh, I remember now, the boy who helped me with the book right?” I asked. 

 

“Yeap”

 

“Sorry.  I’m not good with faces”

 

“But you are good with Economics”  Jongin said sitting next to me.  I looked at him pissed.

 

“Who said you could seat next to me?”  I asked, when I saw Jongin’s face worried I laughed.  “I’m joking, I’m joking, please”  I offered him to seat.

 

“So you are the kind of person who does pranks”

 

“Yes”  I replied.

 

“You like to read , you are good in Economics, and you enjoy doing pranks, I like you already”  Jongin said looking directly into my eyes.  I started to blush. I didn’t even try to hide it.  I actually enjoyed the feeling, which was something new for me.

 

“Can I call you Jongin instead of Kai?”

 

I would like that”

 

And that was how Jongin and I became friends.  At the begging it was awkward because my only male friend was Seunghyun, a guy I had loved since I had conscious; but strangely it was nice to be with Jongin.  He was awkward and a had a little bit of a narcissistic personality, but he compensated that with a nice sense of humor and his kind manners, so overall, he was a good boy.  He was a totally different person in front of me and in front of his other friends. The day he told me about the pressure he felt of being a popular guy was the first time I hugged him, after that our skinship became natural.  I hesitated at the beginning.  The only man who could hold my face , who could hug me back, who could kiss me was Seunghyun  and yet here was Jongin a dreamy boy messing my hair whenever he saw me.  The first time I talked him about Seunghyun was the first we got drunk together. I was especially sensible that day because Seunghyun starting dating a model that worked in his father’s company. She was oficcially introduced as Seunghyun’s girlfriend.  I called Jongin at two in the moring and he picked me up.  We went to have soju.

 

“She isn’t even pretty, look!”   I was already drunk.  Jongin was still in his five senses.  I showed him a photo of Krystal, Seunghyun’s girlfriend.

 

“She resembles you.  Do you think he is dating her because of that?”

 

“What?”

 

“ Nothing, you are right, you are way prettier” I started to cry, like crying for real.  The people in the bar looked at us annoyed, so we went inside Jongin’s car where he started to get drunk too.

 

“I have loved him for six ing years. Why? Why can’t he love me back?  He has destroyed all my self-confidence”

 

“You are crazy, I have loved you for only three months and I think I am going crazy already because you only have eyes for that Seunghyun.  How could you bear it for six years?” 

 

“No way!  You can have any girl you want, why would you like me?  I am not popular, I am not hot and I don’t kiss you like everyone else does.  You are just saying those things to make me feel better”

 

“I am not.  Can’t I replace him?”  Jongin asked looking at me.  “Can’t I replace Seunghyun?”  He asked trying to touch my chest, as if he were asking my heart but I thought he wanted to touch my s so I hit him. I slapped him in the face and ran away. 

 

 

Kai’s POV

 

I was really drunk but I would never take advantage of Yoona.  When I asked if could replace him I was actually trying to ask if inside her heart could be room for me instead of Seunghyun, but when I pointed at her heart Yoona slapped me and went running. The next day I asked her to meet me.  We went for coffee. I explained everything.  I didn’t wanted to loose Yoona’s friendship.  She was the only person who knew the real Jongin.  She was the only person who liked me, Jongin and not the popular Kai.

 

“So I am sorry Yoona.  But I want you to know I was not kidding. I really really love you”  I started to get close to Yoona.  She closed her eyes. “But I will wait until you want to kiss me first”  Yoona opened her eyes slowly and smiled.

 

“I seriously think Seunghyun will never love me the way I love him. And I seriously thought the day he started dating I would just stop living, but I was wrong.  You made my pain less strong.  I like you too Jonging, not sure if I love you, but I know I like you and I would like to have the chance to start loving someone whose name is not Seunghyun”.

 

So we started dating.  First I thought Yoona was trying to forget Seunghyun with me, but that was not the case.  I think I will never know if she loves him more than she loves me, but I know one thing for sure.  She loves me.  I like to hold Yoona’s hand when she is walking on the hallway.  I like to carry her bag when we walk to my car after school.  I like to spend hours talking about books or doing silly jokes, jokes only we understand. I like to hug her whenever I say hello or goodbye, but what I like the most is to kiss her.  I could kiss her lips all day.  I love Im Yoona so much I am worried what is going to happen when she finds that I…

 

Yoona’s POV

 

I decided to introduce Jongin to Seunghyun.  I decided to introduce my boyfriend to my best friend.  I am nervous.  I really want them to get along.  I really want the two boys I love the most to be friends, but if that doesn’t happen, well…I will have to respect their decision. Jongin picks me at 5;30 because I told him Seunghyun is really punctual. I see him and the first thing he does is kissing me. I smile.

 

“You look beautiful today Im Yoona”

 

“Well, I took my shower today”  I like to make Jongin smile.

 

When we arrive to the restaurant Jongin asks me to adjust his tie.

 

“I told you the tie was too much. I don’t even know what I am doing”  I said trying to fix something I don’t even know how to put, Jongin laughs and kiss my cheek. 

 

“Relax woman, he is going to love me, I am handsome and tall and have a good personality, that’s why you fell for me.  Am I right?” I roll my eyes and start to walk.  For some reason Jongin walks behind me and not beside me.

 

“Seunghyun!! Sorry, I forgot how obsessive you are with punctuality”  I say greeting my oppa.

 

“It’s ok baby, I haven’t wait too long” he answers and I wonder if he is going to stop calling me baby and I will have to stop thinking he is even more handsome than Jongin.  

 

“Seunghyun, you are the first one I am telling this.  I want to introduce you to my boyfriend Kai” I say smiling, teasing Jongin.

 

“Hey, he can call me Jongin too”  Jongin says bowing at Seunghyun, showing respect since Seunghyun is one year older. Despite my little joke and Jongin manners Seunghyun’s response is cold.  The silence grows and I bet the three of us feel awkward.

 

“So, what do you like about Jonging baby Yoona?”  Seunghyun suddenly asks.  Right after the waiter took our order. I turn to see Jongin who is sitting by my side.  I take his hand from underneath the table and smile.

 

“I like everything.  But I think what I like the most is he is not ashamed of showing his feelings for me. He might hide things from others, but no how he feels about me.  We could be in a crowded place, all stares at us and he will still hug me and kiss me, and whisper things on my ear about how everything is going to be fine. And I would feel completely safe with him”  That sounds a bit corny, but it was what I neded to understand my crush with Seunghyun is over.  Yes, I still think he is the most handsome man on earth, that he has the best style in the world, that he is the iest human being, and that I might never stop loving him despite being rejected for six years, but it doesn’t matter anymore because right now the only person I want to kiss and hug and love is Kim Jong In.