Of Yoona and Jonghyun

The Time I Fell In Love

Jonghyun's POV

Brother, I think I met someone important. You know, in life every person you meet gets classified. He was my friend, he was my teacher, she was my girlfriend, and so on. Right now I know I met someone important but I have no idea how to classify her. I think she was a stranger but she is not, I thought she was a friend but she is not that either. So who is she? She doesn’t let me see her completely. She wears a mask in front of everyone. That was what caught my attention in first place but right now it doesn’t seems enough. I want her to show me who she really is, so I can decide what should I do.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

“By the way, we are not really a couple. Jonghyun and I are friends. I am actually a friend of all the members. My initial friend was Minhyuk. I met the rest of the band through him. My family is well known in Korea. I will be the owner of a big company one day so when I told my father I wanted to be a singer he freaked out. He tried to persuade me to stop singing so he sent me to Japan. I was studying here when I heard about the National Academy for musicians. I went to present my exam and luckily I got a spot. I was a lonelier; nobody talked to me cause I have a face that many people see as uncomfortable, but one day Minhyuk came to me while I was studying. We became friends rapidly. He is a sweetheart. He introduced me his friends from the band. Everything was going good until my father found out I was taking music lessons. To stop him from getting me back to Korea I made a plan. Jonghyun is really wealthy, so I asked him to pretend to be my boyfriend. Of course my father knows Jonghyun is into music, but he approves him since Jonghyun is an heir as well. Jonghyun is always trying to help and since we know liking each other is not an option we decided to pretend being a coupe. It works for him too since every time a girl wants to become his official girlfriend he uses my name to scape. The only problem is Minhyuk. He has always been the closest to me and he doesn’t like me lying so now he is mad at me. He hasn’t spoke properly to me since then. Sometimes I think he and I will never be friends again, but I did what I had to do to achieve my dreams. Sorry, I talk too much. It’s just that you could be my little sister. Is it ok if I call you sister? You remind me so much of her” Jessica is really open with me. She is telling me her story while we are traveling to the hotel where we are staying. She and I are going on a white van while the rest of the members travel in a black one and Jonghyun and his mother in a sport car that I think belongs to him. I really don’t know if Jessica is always so caring and sweet but I don’t have any problem with her looks. She may seem a little cold when she is silence but in this travel to the hotel she is been nice so I don’t mind her calling me whatever she wants.

 

“Yes, you can call me sister. Is your real sister in Japan too?” I asked her when she giggled at my answer.

 

“No. My parents realized they had made a mistake with me when they forbid me to follow my dream, so they were nicer to her. My sister is prettier than me. She is taller and has a great body so when she decided to be a model my parents where totally supportive” Jessica says smiling. She really loves her sister. “You might know her. She is big in Korea right now. She is a fighter. How about you?  Are you dating someone?”

 

“No. I don’t date. I just work”

 

“Girls we are here” The driver announces and I am completely grateful. Another minute and Jessica would have made unnecessary questions.

 

When we get off the van I start taking out my suitcase but Jonghyun grabs my hand.

 

“We are staying at my mother’s so don’t take your things out. After this we are all going theree. Do you mind staying with my mother until the members and I leave their things at the room?”

 

“No, I will make her company”

 

I go where Jonghyun’s mother is. She is so beautiful; it’s not hard to see why Jonghyun is such a handsome man. Her mother doesn’t seem old enough to have a soon as older as Jonghyun is.

 

“Hi Yoona. Let’s wait for them a bit. You and Jonghyun are staying with me. I really begged him and he finally listen. I think he is listening better to me now. He said it’s because you have trained him for the last weeks. He says he is learning to take directions from you so I must thank you”

 

“Oh, don’t worry. That’s not the case at all. Jonghyun is a good patient”

 

“Woow, you are really pretty. And you are about to become a doctor. Your parents must be really proud”

 

“Thank you. I think you are more beautiful. Jonghyun told me you are an actress”

 

“Yes. I started very young and I fell in love with the entertainment world. I thought I was going to stop after having a child but luckily my son is very independent. I never thought he was going to follow my path instead of his dad’s. I guess he took after me in that sense”

 

“I have heard him singing and he does it pretty good. The other day I heard one of his compositions while he was rehearsing and he has a great talent” Her mother smiles at my words.

 

“Aside from Jessica, you are the first girl Jonghyun brings that I really like” I look at her surprised. “Jessica must have told you about her not being his real fiancé. I know everything. Jonghyun can’t keep a secret from me. I help them because just like Jessica I did everything to achieve my dreams”

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting, we can go now. Yoona, Jess and the boys are going in the van but maybe you can come with my mother and me?

 

“Wouldn’t it be better if Jessica comes with you instead of me?”

 

“So you wanna go with the members?” I think about this option and feel uncomfortable.

 

“Ok, I’ll go with you and your mother” Jonghyun smiles. Sometimes it surprises me he knows me this well. More than that I am surprised he cares. Most people would send me in any car, but he knows I am not comfortable around many people that’s why he offers me to go with him and his mother.

 

Jonghyun’s POV

 

“Who is the girl that came with you?”

 

“I already told you mother. She is my nurse”

 

“Oh, so she is the one living in your house. She is really pretty. Do you like her?”

 

“No mother. She is just my nurse. We aren’t even friends. And don’t worry I am not staying in the same hotel room”

 

“ Are you staying in a hotel? Can’t you stay with me?”

 

“I’m not sure. I don’t want to be an inconvenience”

 

“Come on, you know you are not an inconvenience. I am practically begging you to stay with me. I want to spend time with my son. I haven’t see you in a long time”

 

“Ok ok”

 

“Are you really saying yes so fast?”

 

“I have changed mother. Maybe my nurse seems nice to you, but she is really strict so I have learnt how to be condescending”

 

“I’m glad”

 

“By the way, she has to stay with us. Is that ok?”

 

“Sure, Yoona can stay, as long as you don’t sleep in the same room”

 

“Mother, I am serious. Nothing is happening between her and me”

 

When we arrive at my mother’s house, the first thing I do is to show Yoona her room.

 

“I will leave you alone so you can unpack. When you are done come to the dinning room, we are having dinner here” I am about to leave but Yoona suddenly grabs my hand. I look at her surprised.

 

“Thank you Jonghyun”

 

“What?”

 

“I know everything you did for me since you were a patient in the hospital and yet I haven’t thank you properly” I look at her confused. “Yuri told me everything. About you getting information from the nurse in order to help me. I know why you gave me this job, I basically own you the fact that I have a place to stay and a job and the fact that I am now here”

 

“You really know why?”

 

“Yes. I know you and I don’t talk too much but I know you. I know the way you think. You love relationships that are based in honesty and you defend justice like crazy. You are a good person and many people don’t see it because they are too focused on how you look or what you have. But I see you. I see the real you and what you have here…” She says pointing at my heart. “It’s pure gold. You are amazing not because you are a singer with the money and looks. You are beautiful because you are a golden boy in here, and I can see that perfectly” Nobody has ever told me these words. No one.

 

Jessica opens the door at that moment. Yoona smiles at her.

 

“Sister, do you want me to help you unpacking? Let’s do it quickly so we can eat” Yoona nods and I leave them alone. As I go downstairs I keep thinking on what Yoona said. Am I really a nice person? I never thought I was. I was a terrible brother, I wasn’t a nice son and as a friend I always worried more about myself than others, so why she thinks I am a golden boy? I am drinking water when Jungshin approaches running.

 

“Come, Jess and the boys want to play a game and only you are left” 

 

“Ok”

 

“Well, the first card says we must choose a partner that we know, cause every answer you get wrong you must have a shot” Jessica announces.

 

“I won’t choose Jonghyun” Jungshin says laughing

 

“Me neither” Minhyuk agrees.

 

“Then Jungshin and I, Jessica and Minhyuk and Jonghyun with Yoona, let’s see if he is more open with her” Jonghwa says to set the teams.

 

“Decided then. Yoona pick a card and read it out loud. You and Jonghyun must answer by writing it on the board” Jessica gives the rules.

 

“Ok, it says: Does your partner prefers rainy or sunny days?”

 

I think Yoona and I are so going to loose, she doesn’t know anything about me, how the hell would she know what kind of day I like more?

 

“Ok, time is over. Raise your boards!” I see what Yoona wrote, incredible. She has the same answer as me. The boys clap while I smile at her. She smiles too.

 

“How did you know that sis?” Jessica asks her.

 

“Well, Jonghyun is the kind of person who likes to stay at home working on something, so I supposed days of heat are terrible to work. I actually answered a different question, something that I do know about Jonghyun. Would he prefer to work under the sun or in the rain? It wasn’t that complicated” Nobody understands Yoona’s answer except me, so I laugh. She is really smart.

 

“Jonghyun your turn”

 

“Ok, mine says, what is your partner’s favorite music?” I write rapidly on my board, when Yoona and I show the answer it is a perfect match. “I knew it. It’s piano. Guess we are not drinking tonight” And as I predict Yoona and I know everything. I have no idea how she knows my favorite color is white, or why I know her favorite book is ‘Until you’ but we keep guessing and guessing until we change the game.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

Everything was good until Jessica suggested we should change the game to truth or dare. I know they are going to dare me to drink, so I choose truth hoping it’s gonna be something easy to answer.

 

“I want to know about your first kiss” Jessica says. I look at her and then at every single person in the room. They are waiting for my answer. The memories come all back at once. My voice looses its volume. I try to speak but nothing comes out, and everybody keeps looking at me.  I start to panic. I can’t share those precious memories with them because I just met them. It is not fair, they can’t know about that person. I stand up and leave the room running. I have no idea where I am going but I keep running in the street until Jonghyun grabs my wrist.

 

“Stop” He yells when I push his hand aside. I start to breathe heavily. “Relax”

I manage to stay calm after five minutes.  “Are you ok?”

 

“Yes, I’m sorry. You should go back” I am still breathing heavily.

 

“No, I’m staying here” Jonghyuns answers with a serious face.

 

“No really. I am not going to walk further”

 

“Still, I’m staying with you”

 

“What about your friends?”

 

“Yoona, you really…believe it or not you are my friend too. Or at least I think that. I… Maybe you are the smartest person I know, but you don’t realize one thing”

 

“What?”

 

“You are important too. Just as the members, and Jessica and my mother, you are important in the world. Everything you do has an impact in my life now” A heavy rain starts. Jonghyun and I run to the nearest place with a roof. The rain is so intense even there we end up soaked. I take out of my pocket a medicine used to prevent flu or any kind of disease related. I look at Jonghyun and he is trembling.

 

“Here, take this” I order him.

 

“I’m ok” He assures me.

 

“No, you are not, and you are the singer so you should really take care of your health. Take it now” He smiled and swallows the pill. “Mm, Jonghyun, thank you. You know, for telling me you consider me your friend. An just so you know, you are important for me too” He smiles wider and we go back home. I go immediately to my room cause I am so ashamed of what just happened. I take a shower and go to sleep skipping dinner. The next day I wake up with fever.

 

“Yoona? What are you doing here?” Jonghyun’s mother asks me.

 

“Oh, sorry, good morning. I was going to ask you if I could use your fridge to prepare Jonghyun’s breakfast. He is under diet and I don’t think it is convenient for him to interrupt it just because we are not in Korea. I thought I had brought everything but I didn’t” Jonghyun’s mother claps at my words.

 

“Do you know how to cook? Can I help you? I always tried to learn but I’m such a failure. Maybe you can tell me how you prepare his meals and I can help you cooking”

 

“Sure, we can do it together” We start cooking and thirty minutes after Jonghyun goes out of his room.   

 

“What are you guys doing?” He asks when he sees her mother cooking.

 

“I’m helping Yoona with your breakfast” as soon as her mother says that, Jonghyun laughs while she smiles.

 

“Mother this is epic. I will eat everything today” I really like Jonghyun’s relationship with her mother. Kind of reminds me of what I had with my father. Maybe its time I start visit him often.

 

“Are you ok?” Jonghyun asks me putting her hand on my forehead. “You are red” I move my head rapidly. What is he doing?

“I’m fine” I say taken aback. “I just woke up with a bit of fever”

 

“It is not a bit of fever. Seriously you are red. Tell me the name of the pills and I will get you ones on my way home today”

 

“No, it’s too much trouble. Besides, I will go with you today right? I mean to recording or whatever you are doing”

 

“Sure, you can come, but since you are sick I thought you might wanna stay at home”

 

“I am not sick!” I yell but cover my mouth immediately. Why am I screaming in a place that it is not my house to someone who is my patient? Jonghyun laughs again and her mother looks at us smiling. “Sorry” I apologize bowing, she just nods.

 

When we come back from work I am worst. I keep sneezing and I feel like freezing.

 

“I told you to stay at home but you never listen” Jonghyun scolds me. I realize we are slowly becoming this kind of people, the kind of friends who yells and scolds at each other.

 

“I just need to sleep well today. I’ll read and then go straight to bed”

 

“No, you should eat first”

 

“No, I should read since I will be going back to school next week”

 

“You can read after you eat”

 

“I will be to tired”

 

“Yoona ssi, you should eat. Come on, I already served your dish” Jonghyun’s mother says and I feel ashamed again. I really forget now people surround us, but why? We never discussed before and now its like this is all we do.

 

After eating I feel even worse. I feel like throwing up. I gave all of my medicine to Jongyun before so I must endure for now. I change my clothes and wash my hair when someone knocks my door.

 

“Sorry, Yoona, I forgot to give you this. Can I come in?” Jonghyun asks.

 

“Sure” I answer opening the door. He looks at me with wide eyes. “What?”

 

“Sorry, I always thought you used make up but you… You just shower and you look the same”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. I just wanted to give you this. I bought some medicine for you” I start feeling dizzy but luckily Jonghyun rapidly grabs me. “Geez, I didn’t know you were this bad. Come on, we need to go to the hospital” I can’t go to the hospital. I don’t have money to spend on that.

 

“No Jonghyun, really. I’m just tired. Please, let’s stay here. If I feel bad tomorrow I promise I’ll go to the hospital” Jonghyun looks at me worried but finally carries me bride style and puts me in bed.

 

“Come on, tell me what you were going to read. I’ll read it for you” He says.

 

Jongyun’s POV

 

I know I don’t have to do this. She didn’t even ask me. But what can I do? I am worried for her. I know she is taking care of me but I see no one taking care of her so I feel like I have to. If reading is the only thing I can do then I’ll do it.

 

When I start reading Yoona is already lying in bed. I am seating in front of her. I start reading and as time goes by I am the one getting asleep instead of her. Her book is filled of terminology I am not familiar with, but I keep reading. I read for about two hours until Yoona starts breathing slow. I put the book aside and see she is already sleeping. I get this feeling that I had the first time I met her. My heart starts beating fast looking at her. She is so beautiful.

 

I put the book aside and cover her up. When I am about to leave she grabs my hand and squeeze it really hard, then she lets me go. I realize now that even tough she is sleeping she is not resting.

 

The next day I talk with the members and tell them I will spend the day with my mother. I wake up early and see what is on my diet today. Hot soup works for Yoona too, so when the cooker says he is done I go upstairs with a trail of food to see if Yoona is awake.

 

“You really don’t have to. I should be the one cooking and…”

 

“Relax, I didn’t cook, the cooker did it so it won’t taste bad. More than that, I think you should rest today, so instead of going to my wok we are going to my mom’s so I can spend time with her and you can sleep a bit. Of course if you feel better you can come with us”

 

“What about the members? Are they coming?”

 

“Nope, just my mother and myself and you if you want to”

 

“And Jessica?”

 

“She is in the school”

 

“Then I guess you should go with your mother. It’s your quality time. Just please be careful. Don’t walk too much. Take your pills with you and don’t carry anything too heavy” I am surprised even she is the one sick she still worries about me.

 

“Marshmallow if you are so worried you should come with me”

 

An hour later we are going to the location where my mom is filming her drama. My mother is not coming with us since she had to be there since six in the morning. I am not excited since I have been there multiple times. Yoona is not that excited either and as usual we stay quiet the entire trip. I try to ask her how she feels but her answers are short so I give up. I don’t like to talk too much either and heaving her in front of me is enough. I can tell how she feels by her face and movements. She is better today.

 

We get off and Yoona finally shows a slight smile.

 

“I always thought they recorded in real houses. This is breaking my childhood dreams” She says looking at me.

 

“Come on, you are a nurse. What childhood dreams?”

 

“As a kid I used to dream on being an actress, then I wanted to become a pianist, then the owner of a big company and finally I understood what was my real call: helping others”

 

“Did you just tell me something about you?” I ask surprised. “I will never forget what you just say. I don’t know why but I feel like I am the only person in the world that knows about this”  Yoona smiles ashamed. “Ok, since you shared something … I met my first girlfriend here. I was seventeen and she was twenty three” Yoona’s mouth drops.

 

“You really don’t have to…”

 

“Don’t worry, nothing bad happened. I was determined not fall in love with anyone. If anything she was the one that wanted to keep the relationship. I was about to turn eighteen. We were together for six months but I always knew I was with her because of her body. I felt great when my friends admired me for my girlfriend. She was really pretty. Actually was my mother’s friend. They were working together in a movie when I met her, but of course when my mother found out she cut communications with her. I felt bad, cause I ruined a friendship for anything. I didn’t want to be dating her anymore, so I just broke up with her using my mother as an excuse. Tough it wasn’t the first time I hurt someone, it was the first time hurting someone ended up hurting me, so I made an evaluation of all me relationships, my mother, my father, my bro…” I suddenly shut up. I think I revealed too much. Yoona looks the other way. 

 

“I am a hopeless romantic. I have fallen in love two times. Jongin is one of those times. I think I am lucky. He is a perfect guy. I feel like I want to love him like I did in the old days. Whenever we are together my heart beats fast. I feel shivering, but I just can’t. I don’t know how to explain it, but although I feel this way, I also feel sad. And I can’t figure if I still love him” I nod. “Do you have an advice? Have you ever seen someone who makes your heart go crazy but not being able to identify what are your real feelings?” I nod again. I cannot tell for me its her.

 

“You said you wanted to be a pianist right? There is a piano inside. Do you want to see it?” Yoona nods in an extremely cute way. I keep smiling. When we enter the location must of the guys stare at her. I feel uncomfortable. Yes, Yoona could be an actress just by her looks, but is it really necessary that everyone look at her that way? One of the guys approaches us. I know him. His name is Sato Takeru. We used to be good friends, cause both if us used to be bastards. Most actresses hang out with him because they want to become someone in the industry and he dates them just for fun.

 

“Jonghyun! Dude, it’s been ages. How are you?” He says greeting me. He bows at Yoona. She smiles and bows back at him. “This time you did pretty good. Your girlfriend is an angel” He compliments Yoona.

 

“Thank you Sato, she really is. We are in a rush but I’ll call you so we can hang out” I don’t given him Yoona’s name because I know he would use that as his advantage. I don’t tell him we are not a couple because I am sure Sato would make a move on Yoona, and she would be uncomfortable.

 

“Sure, nice to meet you” I take Yoona’s hand and we go straight to where the instruments are.

 

“Everyone is so good looking here” Yoona says walking to the piano.

 

“You mean Sato? I’m sorry I thought you didn’t like men hitting on you, that’s why I didn’t tell him we were not a couple” Yoona laughs.

 

“I’m talking about you. You were really cool defending me. I imagined you said I look like an angel so he wouldn’t bother me” I smile. “You are such a cool person and to be honest it is the first time I see your charm as a man. Now play for me. I want something delicate but nice and sorrow but hopeful. Do you know how to play something like that?” I nod. Yoona sits right next to me and I suddenly feel nervous.

I start to play ‘Moon River’, my mother’s favorite. Yoona closes her eyes and smiles. When the song ends I slowly start to approach her. She opens her eyes suddenly and sees me. We both keep looking at each other. Suddenly Yoona places her hand on cheek. I lean forward and kiss her.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

He is playing so smooth. He is playing a song I know. The first song I listened on piano. It feels like I have travel to another time. The thing with Jonghyun is that he reminds me so much of my first love. I don’t know how to explain it; I think I should say he is always there for me. When I am being bullied, when I loose control and try to scape, when someone makes me feel uncomfortable or when I am happy, just like I am right now. I open my eyes and see him, and he is so handsome. He is looking at me too. I don’t expect him to kiss me, I just want to look at him, I feel safe this way, but when he leans forwards I cannot say no. I respond to his kiss and I hug him. I haven’t kissed anyone in years so it feels weird, and exciting. I am almost desperate to get more so I lean towards him. He grabs my waist and pushes me even closer. Just for a moment I don’t want to be worried of what is going to happen next. I just want to enjoy this moment. We are kissing until Jonghyun whispers:

 

“I really like you” I feel shivering coming down my spine, so I pull him away. He is not looking at me; he is looking at his hands that are holding mine. I don’t know where I pull the strength to hug him again. I hide my head in his chest. I feel his hand on my back now, returning my hug. He then kisses my head.

 

“I don’t know what to do. I’m not sure…” I begin to say.

 

“Its fine. I just wanted to stop fooling myself and let you now how I feel. You don’t have to like me back either” I look up to see him and find him incredibly attractive. Suddenly Jonghyun is not Jonghyun but the sum of all of the things he has done for me. I kiss him one again and I start to fear he might not be here tomorrow. I know I don’t have to but I am. I am falling in love again.