Jongin's story

The Time I Fell In Love

Kai’s POV

 

“Are you sure? Completely sure?” Yoona asks me turning around to face me. We are lying down in the bed. The place: a luxury cabin where I spend some weekends, just to read or be alone. I had never brought someone here, but I don’t regret at all to have Yoona’s company tonight.

 

“Yeap, I am” I answer nodding. Yoona smiles and hugs me.

 

“Make sure to keep your promise Kim Jongin” She says sleepy.

 

“Everyday Yoona… everyday” I answer almost half sleep but also inhaling the chocolate mint shampoo she uses. We fall sleep immediately.

 

If I had to pick the happiest day of my life, this day would be a serious contender. The second? Her birthday. Have you ever had the feeling of falling in love? I’m sure most people have no idea how they fell in love or the reason why they grow to love someone, but I do. I know the exact moment when I became to love her, most important, I remember the day she started loving me. It was her birthday. I had absolutely no idea. I went with Kyunsoo (my best best friend) and my “friends” to have a bear.

 

“Hey, have you heard about the new goddess of the school? She is really something. I went to the library and I was singing when she came and shut me up. She is so pretty”  Sehun commented pleasant.

 

“Who the hell goes to the library to sing?” Kris asked laughing, Sehun started to laugh too.

 

“You!! I did it after watching you” Sehun replied and we all laughed. I wish my friends were like this but this is just a glimpse, something that occurs one time every year and it’s just a minute of joy before they remember whom they are and how they supposed to act.

 

“I heard you are his friend. You sure don’t lose time” Tao pinched my arm.

 

“Ah, what? Yeah, I mean, we take a curse together” I reply indifferent. I don’t tell them I am his friend not because I’m ashamed but because as selfish as this might sound, I want Yoona for me and only me and not for me and my group of friends.

 

“Great, you can introduce her to us!!” Sehun yells excited. This starts to worry me because this group of friends is a selected group. We are all part of a fraternity; only the richest kids in the city can belong to it. I knew Seunghyun from before because he was given an invitation to join, he was in the fraternity for two months and then he left. I wasn’t part of the fraternity yet because of my age but the people involved say that was the worst year ever, now I know for Yoona that Seunghyun had a really bad time, that he spent most of his time in his room alone and without friends. To be honest I kind of get it now, he survived because he had Yoona with him, that’s what is happening to me now, since I have Yoona I have learn how to take it easy with this gag.

 

“Why are you so eager to meet her? I mean, she is not interested in us so let her be” Kyunsoo speaks for the first time while smoking.  He is a friend who I really care about. He has problems with drugs and alcohol. I had witnessed the deterioration of his body and his ups and downs but I can’t stop loving him. He is so smart that he can see inside a person with just one look. Of course he knows I am in love with Im Yoona, and he knows the exact time when I started loving her, so he is trying to saver her and save me right now.

 

“I think D.O. is right. A lot of people are talking about how she is sweet with everyone and has a good personality but I mean, she literally shut me in the library, I didn’t find it sweet”

 

“Maybe she is sweet with Kai” Tao again.

 

“Haha, is that true Kai? Is she your girlfriend?” Kris asked me maliciously.

 

“I wish” I didn’t want to say it out loud but I did. It just came out. Kyunsoo looked at me in panic. I drank my beer awkward.

 

“I bet she will be her girlfriend in no time” Sehun said trying to ease things.

 

“I bet she will say no. I mean, she is in love with our sunbae” Tao joins.

 

“This is so funny, how about I bet with Kai for something really big? If you really date her I will give you whatever you want, but if you miss then I will make you jump out of the cliff” Kris says. I know why he acts this way, he’s been mad with me since the rumors about her girlfriend being in love with me started. He should be mad, till today I still hate myself for what I did. It was a party two years ago, that was the only day Kris was completely honest with us. He told Kyunso and me he liked a girl named Dasom and as usual we bet on her. I was so stupid at the time I kissed her in front of my friend, more than that, we slept together. I had no kind of feelings for Dasom but I just wanted to win and I did, but it cost me Kris’ friendship. After that night I never spoke to Dasom again but when she accepted Kris’ feelings most people said she had become his girlfriend because of me, because she was in love with me.

 

“Not again please, let’s stop this kind of bets on girls.  We are too old for that” Kyungsoo says tired but no one listens and at the end we still bet. It’s not a real bet for me, because I really want to date Yoona.

 

That same night I saw her outside a restaurant and she told me it was her birthday, I had no idea and so, spontaneously I hugged her and kissed her forehead, not only that, I even dare to whisper on her ear. I silently left but once out of her sight I found really hard to breathe I smiled so stupidly for over an hour and I was so happy my parents were really worried about me, still, nothing had sense, cause I had felt it, I felt a response coming form her, I felt she was falling for me too.

 

The next month a bomb exploded. More like, Seunghyun exploded. He had now a girlfriend and Yoona was really sad, I was there for her like a real friend. I eventually confessed. At first Yoona rejected me accusing me of trying to touch her s (to be honest even that I found it cute) but the next day she accepted my feelings. From that moment we were a normal couple, almost. I got used to be with her. I spent so much time with her instead of my friends, except for Kyunsoo of course.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

Out of Jongin’g friends Kyunsoo is the one I like the most. Even if I weren’t Jonging’s girl I would still be Kyungso’s friend. I love him, he is so calm and sarcastic but also so intelligent and human. There’s only one thing Kyungso can’t hide, at least from me. For me it’s pretty obvious Kyunsoo is in love with Jongin.

 

“I am not, how ridiculous is that Yoong?” He cried surprised when I asked him if my suspects were true.

 

“I just thought that, you know, you might like him more than a friend” D.O. looked at me. He was smiling. I knew he gave up.

 

“I thought I was the best at reading peoples minds. But you are by far better. Yes, I admit it I love Kim Jongin. He means everything to me but the saddest part is that I know its never going to happen. You know Yoona? The best thing about love is that when it is real it is unselfish. So when I see him with you I myself get happy because I’ve never seen him so alive like now so I must thank you for that”

 

“You are amazing Kyunsoo, please never stop being friends with Jonging” I said hugging D.O. I really liked this guy.

 

“I won’t. I have learn for me is enough to be his friend” At that exact moment Jongin appeared on the library and pushed me aside.

 

“Yah, what the hell are you doing with my Yoong ?” Jongin aseds pretending to be mad.

 

“Relax, we were just hugging. Besides, its not a secret Yoona likes me more than she likes you” Kyungsoo replied and I remember myself laughing. Jonging looked at me smiling and he finally huged me then he kissed my cheek, my forehead and finally my lips. The girls sitting on the other table rolled their yes. I was now used to it. At the beginning it happened with Seunghyun, since he was always with me most of the girls of his school were jealous and intimidated, so when I started to date the most popular guy in the school I was familiar with the awful gazes and dark comments about me but it never really matter. Jonging was always the happiest showing his love in public.

 

“Let’s go. You need to get ready for tonight’s dinner. Oh, and also prepare a bag cause we are sleeping outside”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean we are going to the forest”

 

“I can’t sleep alone with you” Suddenly Kyunso and Jonging laughed their at my comment.

 

“I won’t do anything, I promise”

 

“Go Yoong, the place is beautiful” Kyunsoo sayd nodding, so I finally accepted.

 

That night we went for dinner with Seunghyun, I can remember he wanted to take me home but I already had plans. Now I wonder what would had happened if I had decided to go with him, if maybe I could have saved him and me.

 

Kai’s POV

 

Today is going to be the worst day of my life, just like yesterday was the best, today is going to be the worst. I woke up early, a bad sign since I always wake up late, but today I didn’t. The first thing I saw was her hair, Yoona wasn’t hugging me, she was hugging a pillow and her back and hair was the only thing I could see, still it made me happy. I got up and washed my face, I had to go to downtown to pick the breakfast I had ordered the day before because I didn’t want Yoona to cook. I left quietly, such a bad move.

 

When I arrived downtown everything was still close, that’s when I realized it was still morning. I went to run and came back to the restaurant, I bought flowers, wine, everything for a romantic breakfast but it took me forever so I arrived home at 12. When I finally opened the door it wasn’t Yoona but Dasom who was waiting for me.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

When I woke up he wasn’t there, but it didn’t took long before the bell rang. I ran to the door and opened excited.

 

“Good morning!!” I yell as I was opening when Dasom’s figure appeared. I know her from before. Jongin introduced her to me one night at Sehun’s birthday. She was Kris’ girlfriend but the entire school thought she was in love with Kai.

 

“Hello, what a surprise. Is Jonging here?” She asks me, taking out her sunglasses. Dasom was like a Barbie doll, so glamourous and beautiful, yet when she was near all I could sense was trouble. 

 

“No, I…don’t know where he is right now. Do you want to come in?”

 

“So he is not here, I see. Yeah, I would love to go in” She immediately goes to the kitchen and takes out a glass, it looks like she’s been here before. “I’m sorry, would you like a glass of water Yoona?” Dasom asks me and I nod. “So, do you like to go out with Jongin?” I mean he is hot right? Not to mention he is intelligent, funny, and of course rich. I bet you have never been in a place like this, am I right?”

 

“Actually I have been in places like this, but it doesn’t matter, you are right, Jonging is great, going out with him is great”

 

“Sure he is. He is a great actor also” Dasom is trying to tell me something, but I am not willing to give her the power f this conversation. So I pretend she is not talking, which makes her even madder. “Whenever he is with you he uses his acting skills”

 

“What’s your problem Dasom?”

 

“I don’t have a problem, I just thought girls should have each other’s back, and I am trying to help you so I am not the bad guy here”

 

“Well thank you very much but I don’t need any kind of help”

 

“Poor you. You have no idea. He is betting on you. At the beginning the guys bet on how long will Kai need to make you his girlfriend, but now that he has you they are betting on how long he needs to take you to bed. I like you Yoona, I really do, so as soon as I found out I came here to tell you because I don’t think it’s fair what they are doing. I know you have no class, no money and no personality, it hurts but you are as simple as any other girl, the only thing you can depend on is your intelligence that’s why I am helping you” I was about to answer when a call from my father comes. I look at Dasom angry and go outside to pick up the call.

 

“Yoona, where are you?!!” My father yells completely out of himself. I immediately know something is not right.

 

“Sorry dad. I didn’t send you the address yesterday because I fell asleep” I tell him knowing that I lied, since I told him I was going to a school trip with Seunghyun today.

 

“Come here right now!” He is yelling again. Is he really that mad?

 

“Where are you?”

 

“At the hospital”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“I am, but Seunghyun…he is not. Yoona, Seunghyun has passed away” I feel like the weight of the world has come to my shoulders.  The first thing I do is to laugh. “No, he is not. He is in the trip with the school it’s a mistake. Let me call him”

 

“No Yoona, come here right now”  I really don’t know what happens next. Dasom give me her keys and I drive to the hospital which is ninety minutes away from here.

 

Jongin’s POV

 

“Where is Yoong?” Is the first thing that comes out of my mouth when I see Dasom.

 

“Yummy! You brought food. I am starving” She ignores me smiling. I exhale tired.

 

“This is not for you. Please go out of my house” I order as I open the door to show her the exit.

 

“I would but I don’t have a car. Yoona took it after she heard about the bet”  I drop the food and shake Dasom, maybe harder than I should.

 

“What are you saying? Why would you tell her?”

 

“Come on Jongin, we know you have no idea how to break up with her so I came here to give you a hand. It’s done, she took my car like a thief and left because I told her she was only a bet. I told her the truth” I am so mad I could hit her right now, but I don’t because I know I wouldn’t forgive myself if I did that.

 

“Dasom, I know we never spoke about what happened that day. Truth is you were the bet. You are that to me, you are a simple bet. I was never interested and I will never be. I know my friend loves you and honestly I can’t even see why, in my eyes you are so ugly I can’t even look at you right now. Don’t interfere in my things again. You can have the food and leave whenever you want cause I don’t care, I don’t care anything about you” I can see she is about to cry but at this point I can’t do more than being a jerk. I have tried everything but she still comes back to me which makes me so angry.  I drive as fast as I can, although I’m not sure where I am going all I know is I need to go back to the city and find Yoona. It’s until my twentieth call when she answers.

 

“Hello?” Her voice is barely a whisper.

 

“Yoong where..?”

 

“In the hospital, can you come here? I really need someone right now” She says and I instantly panic.

 

“Are you ok?” I cry driving even faster.

 

“I am but he is not, please come” It doesn’t take more than ten minutes before I arrive the hospital, there I see plenty of the kids of my school. I rush to Yoona. She is sitting alone in the waiting room looking at an empty space, so out of herself. I’m almost with her when the police comes out.

 

“Choi Seunghyun!” The policeman shouts and s group of six people including Yoona comes to the center. “Choi Seunghyun died at the age of twenty two drowned. Official cause: He helped the students to leave the car before the flow took it. Body: not found. Belongings: his cellphone and a chain with a key. Please, I need someone of his family to sign the report” I stay paralyzed, I cannot believe it, yesterday he was just here having dinner with us. Yoona collapses as her father and I immediately look for help. Seunghyun’s mother goes as entire as she can to sign the papers while his father starts making calls. Twenty minutes later Yoona wakes up.

 

“Jongin” She says looking at me with sad eyes.

 

“Hey” I answer trying to smile but I can’t so Yoona’s eyes fill with water.

 

“Jongin, I was supposed to be there. I was supposed to be in the trip with Seunghyun but I didn’t go.  I stood with you, I should be dead too!” She starts to cry. I hug her head and press it against my chest.

 

“Shh! Don’t say that Yoona, things like this just happens” but she can’t stop so the doctors come and sedate her.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

The second ime the lights hit my eyes the effect of the medicine is still in process. I see Jonging holding my hand while praying. I love you Jongin, but I can’t.

 

When he sees I am opening my eyes he kisses my forehead.

 

“Your father is helping Choi family. I must take care of you. What do you need Yoong?”

 

“I need you to go” I saiy while the tears start again.

 

“What?”

 

“I am just a bet, I’m not wirth it so please go”

 

“Yoona I know what Dasom told you but I…”

 

“I want you out of my sight. I shouldn’t have been with you, I should have been with Seunghyun, that was the place I was supposed to be”

 

“No, ths is not our fault listen Seunghyun’s body was not ound, we still have hope...”

 

Kai's POV

 

“Shut up! Don’t ever say his name. Go! HE IS DEAD, HE IS GONE! I lost my friend because of you, because I decided to love you but you were just playing with me. Forgive me Seunghyun please” Yoona starts to breath heavily. She is having an attack. The doctors come again. I find myself crying this time because I know what she feels. I feel sorry too. So I leave the room. Kyunsoo, who has been waiting outside since I called him, comes to me and sees me crying.

 

“What’s wrong?” He asks worried.

 

“She doesn’t want to see me. Dasom told her about the bet and … she is asmathic. Seunghyun told me yesterday. At dinner he told me I should be careful cause she is asmathic, she told me Yoona can’t have great impressions and that I should be a wall. That I should listen and no judge cause that’s what Yoona neded, she just wanted to be heard. He said honesty was the only rule to be her friend” I start to cry for real now. Kyunsoo sobs my shoulder and then hugs me.

 

“Relax, let me talk to her. Maybe she will listen to me”

 

“No, I made a misake. I made her fall in love with a moron. I was so selfish Kyungsoo, I wanted her to be mine so bad that I never thought I wasn’t the best for her and now she lost it, she lost the man of her life. But what can I do? I still love her Kyunsoo” He stays with me until I tranquilize, and then he enters Yoona’s room.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

“I’m so sorry Yoong” is the first thing Kyunsoo says when he sees me. I am lying down in bed looking at my feet. I don’t reply. I feel too tired even to talk. “He helped all of the student that were in the bus to go out but when he tried to scape the river took the car” At least Kyunsoo is here to tell me what happened. “The students are now outside showing their lasts respects. Do you want to go out to say goodbye as well?” I turn and see Kyungsoo for the first time. I smile and nod. I don’t know why I feel so secure with him talking to me now.

 

As we walk there is no sight of Kai, I go to the chapel with Kyunsoo’s help and we pray for over an hour, then a nurse tells us we have to go back to the room. That’s when we find Jongin, he is waiting for me in the room with food. I see him and turn to Kyunsoo.

 

“Do you want me to leave you guys alone?” He asks us but I deny with my head, I haven’t been able to talk since my attack, but I do a great effort to say something.

 

“Thank you guys” Is the only thing that comes out. “Thank you for being here tonight but its time for you to go. Don’t come back, I don’t want to see any of you”

 

“Yoong, I know how you must feel but I swear we love you. Even Sehun, Kris and Tao, they all can tell you it started as a bet but Kai told them he wasn’t messing around anyhmore”

 

“I know” I walk to Jongin and hug him “I love you too and I know what we had was not a lie. I felt your love too but I can’t Jongin. I feel so bad about myself. I now you are telling this is not my fault but my mind keeps blaming me. I can’t be with you. I can’t even look at you because all I feel is Seunghyun’s pain. Forgive me” I am still hugging him. He kisses my neck and nods.

 

“I’m gonna go but please, as soon as you find your answers call me. I will be waiting Yoona. I will be loving you even from afar so comeback to me. Whenever you are ready. I love you, everyday”

 

He leaves and I stay in my bed. I take out my phone, a device I haven’t look in the whole day and I see a missed call. I could cry if I had tears left but I have become empty cause my missed call is from Seughyun. He left a message for me.

 

“Baby, something bad happened. It seems we have a problem with the bus. The breaks didn’t work and we fell into the river but don’t worry too much I am helping right now to get the students out. I just wanted to say that I am happy you didn’t come today otherwise you would be freaking out right now. Can you tell my mom I will be late cause I am not sure how long this will take? Oh, and I need to talk to you about something when I get back. I seriously thought I was going to die and it made me think about everything. I need to tell you something. Please be at home on time. I love you, for real. I’ve been loving you everyday baby Yoona”

 

The impossible happens. I cry again and hug my phone, this is probablyt he last trace of his voice I will have. I play the message over and over and realize I will never call Jongin. I will never call him back, I will never be the same and probably I will never find happiness again.