A Bit Of Memory

The Time I Fell In Love

Jonghyun’s POV

 

“So, the reason why I came here is… I need to break the fake engagement” I tell Jessica as soon as she opens the door of her apartment. “You only have six months until you finish your studies so by now there is probably nothing your parents can do” Jessica doesn’t say anything. She just looks at me hurt. I honestly thought she was going to take more lightly.

 

“Why? I thought you had promised to help me. You are the kind of friend who never brakes a promise” Jessica says now angry. “Is this because of Yoona?” I nod smiling.

 

“Is it that obvious?” I ask feeling my cheeks getting red. Jessica lets out a sigh in disbelief and closes the door right at my face. “You can’t be angry forever!” I yell leaving her apartment; I know she won’t open again, so I return to my car dancing. I realize this is the first time I said out loud I like Yoona to someone other than Yoona, so I feel little shocks of electricity in my body. I take out my phone and call her. She must have arrived in Korea by now.

 

“Where are you?” I yell as soon as she answers.

 

“With Jongin, I just talked to him. I don’t want you to feel like since you told me you like me I feel like you and I are destined to be together for ever, but I realize I just don’t belong with Jongin anymore so everything between us is over. We ended our relationship” Yoona tells me when I ask her why he picked her up at the airport. I smile really hard after hearing her.

 

“I know you just ended your relationship but I win. I broke up my engagement” I say having fun. I realize now how stupid this engagement was and as much as I wanted to help Jessica, it was just a stupid idea.

 

“Oh no, I’m sure you are devastated” Yoona says with sarcasm.

 

“Hey, maybe my thing with Jess wasn’t as strong as yours with Jongin, but being honest Jessica didn’t took it too well. I really don’t understand, she is about to finish school so she doesn’t need to hide from her parents anymore”

 

“Well, sometimes you get so used to something it’s just hard to break the habit”

 

“Speaking of which, I miss you so freaking much” I hear Yoona’s laugh and I feel alive again.

 

“I miss you a bit, I was thinking maybe we could go out when you come back. I promise I will try to be normal”

 

“No please, I love your weird side, makes me feel like I am the normal one”

 

“Oh, shut up, you will never be the normal one. You are too handsome to be normal”

 

“You are right, I just realize I am very handsome”

 

“Oh my god, really?”

 

“What? You brought it up”

 

“Well, yes but I was joking”

 

“You know what I just realized? I am very handsome and you are really pretty, so we are going to be the best-looking couple in Korea. Wait, we are so damn beautiful we might be the most good looking couple in Asia” Yoona laughs even harder.

 

“You seriously, please don’t say that out laud again” She says and I laugh. I can imagine her on the other side of the phone.

 

“Marshmallow, I really really like you” She doesn’t respond. “It might be a burn for you to hear me say this over and over again, but I just feel the need to say it. Maybe I won’t be able to tell you tomorrow”

 

“Don’t say that Jonghyun. It sounds like something is going to happen to you”

 

“Sorry but I want to say it whenever I feel like, and I want you to feel comfortable with it. So I am going to say it out loud until you get used to it. MARSHMALLOW I LIKE YOU, I MIGHT EVEN LOVE YOU!” I yell over the phone. I start to laugh; this is the best I have felt since Seunghyun passed away. Not even my debut had made me so excited.

 

As the weeks go by I found myself more and more inspired. I understand Seunghyun better now, and the way he said he felt when he confessed to be in love. I realize now I am stuck in love, and I can’t believe I spent so many years without Yoona. I talk to my mother about that.

 

“I wake up and ask myself why do we have to be apart mother? Why can’t Yoona be here? I want her to take care of me, and I want to take care of her. Simply talking through the phone is not enough, but at least is something, right?” My mother smiles at me.

 

“Son, you are bewitched, but I’m glad it’s Yoona. She is perfect. She is a really warm person, and while she was here she took good care of you. I love her too” My mother says smiling, I laugh and hug my mother, she is right. Yoona is perfect.

 

I spent the next week hoping I finally go back to Korea and since my father is in Japan he offers me to travel together. We end up going back in his private plane. During the flight I talk her about Yoona.

 

“Dad, do you remember one time when you said I should just tranquilize and start thinking about living a more mature life?”

 

“Of course, and I remember what your answer was. You crashed your car the next week” My father answers giving me a hard look.

 

“You are missing the point” I answer shaking my head. “ I’m ready to settle down. I know this thing with my band is going to be crazy but I want to get married” My father hears me and spills his coffee.

 

“No, I won’t be part of this madness. You can have as many girlfriends as you like but you won’t get married at least is for real”

 

“That’s what I am talking about, this is for real. I want you to meet her; your wife can come too. I already made plans to meet her as soon as the plane lands, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for you guys to meet the woman I am getting married. Cause whether you like it or not, I am going to marry her, I’m just waiting for her to say yes” My father disapproves but smiles at the end.

 

“Alright, I will meet her, but just because you seem serious this time”

 

Kai’s POV

 

“So, she broke up with me as soon as she landed. I thought my heart was going to explode. I thought I might become an alcoholic man or something but it didn’t happen. Working has kept me alive but still, saying it out loud makes the pain come again” I tell Krystal. She is waiting for the nutritionist and I am in my break. She comes once a week for different reasons so every opportunity we sit to talk. I am sure I would talk about this with Seohyun but since Yoona’s incident we are not in the best terms so Krystal came when I needed her most. She doesn’t talk a lot; she is more the listener type, which I love. She is quiet and reserved, but she pays attention to everything I say.

 

“I think you are going to get over it. You are going to find someone else, meanwhile, if you love her that much you can just be there for her. I know a lot of people say staying next to someone you love is bad but I personally think it’s the best you can do. Specially if you are in good terms with that person cause loving someone truly means it goes beyond the romantic way, and if you are able to help her then you should, that’s the gorgeous way to show someone love” I look at Krystal and smile. She is a very mature person so I don’t understand how she ended up with eating disorders. She hasn’t told me much about her private life, the only thing I know is she is a model so I think her career pushed her limits, but something tells me there is more, it’s just she is not ready to tell me yet. Suddenly Krystal goes up. “I need to go to the bathroom but my sister is going to call me. Can you answer please? She is the kind of person who gets mad if I don’t answer. Just tell her I’ll call her back in five minutes please” She gets up and walks to the bathroom. I notice while she is walking a lot of the residents turn to see her. Krystal is beautiful. I keep looking at her until her cellphone starts to ring. I answer just like she asked me to.

 

“You were right. I do love him. I thought I was just disappointed cause I was her best friend but I just feel so jealous thinking he is with another woman. I know we never were a real couple but I just got so used to it. Whenever he came I spend the day with him and his mother, they are like family now, I can’t stop thinking about him. I don’t know what to do. Is it wrong if I think she took him away from me?” A pitchy voice asks before I can even say Krystal will return the call. Luckily Krystal appears and I hand her the phone. She starts listening with a serious face.

 

“Hmm…yeah… Listen you have to tell him. You have to be honest. Whether he loves you back or not you have to be honest is the only way you can move on sister” Krystal keeps nodding and talking over the phone until her is called out by a nurse. “Jess I have to go but be honest, is the only thing you can do” She hangs up and then looks at me. As you can see everyone wants my advice, I’m like the angel of love or something. Ugh, that sounded so corny. Whatever, see you next week handsome Jongin” She hugs me and goes inside. It’s the first time someone calls me handsome Jongin, it’s even the first time in years that someone, aside from Yoona calls me by my real name. I smile blushing. I don’t even know why.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

I start to move on with my life. I’m not sure if it has to do with Jonghyun, Taeyeon, Jongin or just the universe, but suddenly I feel I carry less weight over my shoulders. That’s why I decide to go talk to Seunghyun. I always feel insecure knowing that Seunghyun’s body is not in the tomb I am talking to, but today I came to beg him, wherever he is to wish happiness for me.

 

“Hello stranger. Sorry I didn’t come in weeks” I start saying “I’m sure up everyone knows what happens here on earth, so instead of telling you I will explain it to you. I met someone. Well, not someone, I met him. His name is Jonghyun. He is six years older than me. I’m sure you would have liked him. Jonghyun is an amazing person. He takes care of me really well” Suddenly my eyes started to fill with water. “It’s ok to like someone else right? I can like Jonghyun right Seunghyun? In fact I can love him right? I love Jonghyun because he is a good person, actually he is much more of a good person than he gives himself credit for, and I like that, he doesn’t even realize how capable of loving he is, so please look after us, wherever you are” I start removing my tears. Jonghyun is coming soon and I promised him I wouldn’t break down. Just at that moment my phone starts to ring, the hospital says there was an emergency in my apartment and they need me.

 

I am halfway the hospital when Jonghyun calls me to tell me he has arrived the graveyard. I tell him am not there anymore and that I have an emergency so I will be working in the hospital.

 

“I understand, don’t worry. We can come together another day. I really want to introduce you to my brother. Can you tell me after you’re done with the hospital? I made reservations at my favorite restaurant three weeks ago. It’s really difficult to get a table there and I want to take you to dinner so…” I laugh; I seriously can’t believe this man told me once he wasn’t the romantic type.

 

“Sure, as soon as I arrive the hospital I will text you so you can know when I’m out”

 

When I arrive Yuri tells me little Sohyun is in extreme pain. He knows I am friends with Yuri so he asked her if she could call me. He is in extreme pain today. It’s one of those days when the dose of medicine is super high so he can’t even eat. I enter the room where he is with tears in my eyes. Weeks ago I developed a method to make him sleep. I go directly to his bed and caress his cheek. I start to sing for him until his mouth shapes into a little smile and he starts to fall sleep.

 

Jonghyun’s POV

 

When I arrived at the graveyard Yoona isn’t there, I call her and she says she is going to be at the hospital due to an emergency. I don’t panic and I don’t want her to panic neither cause today I will introduce her my father. I’m a bit nervous, I know he is going to like her but I don’t know how Yoona is going to react when I tell her I want to marry her. I remember when I was little and started dating my mother told me I had the soul of a rocker and she wouldn’t be surprised if I decided to marry a woman the same day I met her. Well, I’ve been dating Yoona for three months now and I decided she is the one, I just hope she has a rocker inside her too so that she will be willing to marry me. As I am trying to shake off the nervousness I reach Seunghyun’s grave, I smile immediately.

 

“Bro, hello” I start with a big smile. “Remember that time when we were talking over the phone while I was in Colombia. I remember just before we hang up you said you were worried about me because I was always in a rush for things. Back in the day I denied everything and refused to say you were right but I know you could sense something was missing. I just want to tell you now, that without a doubt in my heart all is well now. Everything is so damn perfect I feel scared. All is well now, it is….”

 

I keep talking to Seunghyun until I receive Yoona’s message. Se will be out in another thirty minutes so I rush to the hospital to pick her up. When she sees me she smiles and runs to my arms as I open them to embrace her. I swear I could hear a bit of a song playing in the background looking how happy she was to see me. My heart starts to race uncontrollably that I’m afraid I might get a heart . When she finally reaches me I star to kiss her forehead but she interrupts me with by taking my hand and leading me out of the building. Once outside she pushes me against the wall and kisses me. I’m not used to Yoona showing so much passion but I won’t stop her. I am so into our kiss that I hate the person that opened the door forcing Yoona to stop. I stand there, closing my eyes still hearing the song and tasting Yoona’s labial flavor. I open my eyes until she shakes me really hard.

 

“So? How was it? Are you ready for your big debut?” She asks with a big smile on her face. I realize another thing I love about her is how she always wants to know what’s up with me, like she really cares. I nod smiling, grabbing her by her waist. Yoona looks around to ensure no one is coming and gives me a peck real quick. I have no idea what happened these past few weeks with her but I love this less restricted side of her. I finally feel she is being herself without holding back, and I love it.

 

“Listen, it was going to be a surprise but you seem so happy today I just have to tell you” Yoona looks at me with radiant eyes. I smile again and rub my nose against hers. She giggles and asks me what is it. “I want you to meet my father. I thought about it for a while and I just think it will be the best if he is aware of our relationship. I am not playing with you. I really want to yell the world you are mine, but since I am under a contract I figure the CEO of my company would be enough. Is that ok?”Yoona looks at me still and slowly nods.

 

“I trust you. If you say this is what needs to be done I believe you” This time I peck her lips. She smiles but suddenly hits my arm. “You should have told me! I am not dressed for the occasion” She says worried. I caress her hair and deny with my head.

 

“You are just being cocky. You couldn’t look more perfect than today” She smiles and hugs me. I embrace her once again. I remember one time we were talking over the phone. It was almost three in the morning and we had been talking for over three and a half hours. I didn’t wanted to hang up, and I know she didn’t wanted either, but she urged me to sleep because I had a concert in a few hours. When we finally hung up the TV started to play a song called ‘Wouldn’t it be nice’ by the Beach boys. I listened to the lyrics and smile like an idiot. That’s when I knew it. That was the moment I realized Yoona was the one. The sensation came in a second right after we stopped talking. I realized I wanted to hear her voice again, and I suddenly felt happy, like really happy. It was a kind of happiness that I had never experienced before, except maybe for this moment, when I am holding her in my arms.

 

While we are parking my father calls me and tells me he is already in the restaurant with her wife. Yoona doesn’t seem nervous at all, but when we enter she tells me she needs to go to the bathroom. I tell her I’ll wait for her but she urges me to wait for her at the table. She doesn’t want to leave the impression that we are late. When I greet my father and asks for her wife he tells me she is in the bathroom and when he asks for Yoona I answer the same, what happens next it’s just a blurry image of how the next months of my life are going to be: shocking and sad.

 

Yoona’s POV

 

As I enter the bathroom and fix my makeup someone that I hadn’t seen in a while comes out.

 

“Yoona?” I turn around and see Seunghyun’s mother looking at me with sad eyes. She has changed a lot. Her hair that used to be long is now above her shoulders. She is not wearing makeup and has lost a lot of weight. Still she looks beautiful, and her resemblance with Seunghyun is still strong.

 

“Mrs. Choi. Hi. It’s been a while” I greet her bowing, but instead she hugs me really hard. I smile and try not to cry. This woman used to be like a mother to me but my father told me she had lost a bit of consciousness with Seungyun’s death.

 

“I thought you moved overseas. After Seunghyun’s missing I never heard of you again” I look at her sad. I realize she still treats Seunghyun’s death as missing and that she might be still looking for him. I smile at her and we catch up with one another really quick. Turns out she’s been dragged here by her husband. We go out the bathroom and keep walking until I realize we are going to the exact same table. Jonghyun is about to say something when Mrs. Choi interrupts him.

 

“Honey, look who I found in the bathroom” Mr. Choi looks taken aback.

 

“You two know each other?” Jonghyun asks surprised but still happy.

 

“Oh, Jonghyun, you are here. Of course we know each other. Do you know each other?” Mrs. Choi answers pushing me in front of her so Jonghyun can see me.

 

“As a matter of fact, yes. She is my girlfriend.” Jonghyun replies taking my hand.

 

“That’s not true, she is Seunghyun’s girlfriend” Mrs. Choi reply smiling and denying with her head, almost as if we were playing a joke on her. “Seunghyun will be here any minute, and you will have to explain all of this” Mrs. Choi continues patting my shoulder. I realize now her mental health is way worse than I had imagined nad my father had tell me, but then again I remember how bad I used to be before Jongin and Jonghyun came back into my life and suddenly I feel really sad for the scene we are bout to witness.

 

No one's POV

In a small city outside of Seoul

Diary:

I had a dream today, I’m still not sure if it is part of my old memories I can’t even remember that well, so I will try to explain it the best I can. I was with a girl. She was tall and skinny and though I never got the chance to see her face, I have the feeling she was beautiful. We spent the whole day together, I’m not able to describe in detail except for the part where we were at a restaurant. We walked out and I saw her running into another man. And then I saw him kissing her forehead. I looked down, sad and found a beautiful necklace in my hand; surprisingly I am able to remember each detail of the piece. I searched it online but I couldn’t find it’s like that necklace never existed, or maybe it is unique in this world. If that’s the case I am one step closer to my past, cause whoever has the necklace can answer what the dream meant.

 

Author's note: Hello! And I am so sorry I haven't update in a while. I hope most of you keep reading the sotry. I will try to dedicate mroe time but to be honest I am full of work, so please be patient and enjoy, something good is about to come!