Chapter 3

The Game that Separates Me from You

I walked up to the front of the prison. The drive is two hours away in the middle of nowhere but I still drive down here every day. I walked towards the front doors while noting how hot it was. It was a really hot day. The doors opened to another of doors but this time with iron. I put my badge up the scanner and the doors opened. Another set of doors. Iron. I repeated that task once more and the doors opened to a set of bars that opened when I walked up.

“Morning, Officer Lee.” The officer who opened the doors said.

I greeted him back and he nodded. As I walked off, he followed me.

“Officer Lee, here. I got this for you.” The young officer said with a smile, holding out a coffee cup. Man, he really looks like a girl. If I swung that way I would…

I was broken away from thoughts as the cup was pushed into my hand and the officer ran off.

That kid is really…weird. SungJong, was it? I sighed and then put the cup to my lips. In a quick motion, I drank the coffee and walked off.

 

I ran down the hallways to where the cells started and breathed out.

Okay, SungJong. Don’t be a fool. Breathe in, breathe out. He’s hyung so just treat him like hyung.

I paced back and forth a bit and decided to go on with it. I opened the doors with my badge and walked to where Myungsoo’s cell was.

250…251…252…ah! 253!

I walked up closer and I saw something. Something…bad. Why was Myungsoo…why was he sleeping with that other inmate? The Lee person. They were so close together that if you saw wrong, you would think they were kissing. Close enough to feel each other’s breaths. Close enough that their noses could touch. Close enough to make me feel something fire up inside of me. Something bad.

The bell signaling breakfast starting went off and I saw Lee start to move. I quickly ran off before he could see me. Before I could throw my coffee at him.

 

 

I walked down the corridor to the room on the right with the creaky door. I took out my gun and empty all the bullets out. They fell on the table with 6 clanks. I picked one up and stared at it. This is the bullet that would end somebody’s life today. I inserted that bullet into the revolver and hit it so it would spin. I close it and set it on the table.

The door opened once again. Entered Soryong. Or was it Daeryong? Yes, two twins in this jail. Fascinating.

He sat down at the table and the handcuffs were taken off of him. He massaged his wrists.

He looked at me with a glare in his eye. It was his birthday. I knew. I learned their files by heart. Only three. Daeryong, Soryong, and Woohyun.

The door opened once again and I didn’t see who came in but I didn’t need to. I could see in his eyes who it was. It was his twin.

 

I looked up and I met Daeryong’s eyes. He looked like a kicked puppy. Him vs his brother. Jung vs Jung. Twin vs twin. How would that look on a tombstone?

 

Feburary 25, 1988-Feburary 25, 2015

People would question.

 

I felt bad instantly but it was my job. Nothing I could do now unless I wanted that bullet through my head.

 

Soryong stood up quickly. “No. No! Why did you do this? Why the did you do this?!”

Daeryong, noticing his outburst, rushes to him and starts to calm him.

 

“It’s okay, Soryong. I’m okay. You’re okay. It’ll be fine okay. We’ll meet later then. I’ll see you later, I promise.”

 

At that, Soryong cried harder. He grabbed at his brothers uniform.

“Don’t say goodbye okay? See you later is good.” He said while wiping his tears. “Don’t ever tell me goodbye okay? I’ll see you again okay?”

 

Daeryong nodded at that and stood up. He picked his brother up and sat him in the chair. Once done, he did the same for himself.

 

They sat in front of each other for a while and I wasn’t sure when I should speak up.

Soryong still had tears in his eyes, on his face.

 

Daeryong was smiling at his brother. A small one but I could tell there was pain in his eyes.

 

Finally I cleared my throat and spoke up. “Jung, you first.”

 

They both looked up at me and I mentally cursed myself. They were twins.

 

“Oh, heh. Soryong, you first then.”

 

Soryong picked the gun off the table and pulled the trigger. Click.

He slowly passed it to Daeryong and he retrieved it. Click.

Back to Soryong. Once again, the gun was placed to his head. Click.

This time when Daeryong received the gun, it was like he knew. He knew his fate and what would happen. He knew how it would end and what to say to Soryong. As the gun went to Soryong’s skull, he mustered the best smile he could. He slowly raised his hand and tears became to form in his eyes. Soryong eyes got wide and he slowly stood up.

 

“Soryong, see you later.” Daeryong with a final smile and wave of his hand. Boom!

 

Daeryong’s hand fell and it took the gun with it. His other hand lay on the table, blood coated it. His uniform had it too. Blood. His limp body lay slumped over and he looked somewhat peaceful. Somewhat, happy.

 

Soryong stood up and walked to Daeryong’s body. He slowly took his head in his hands and put it to his chest as tears ran down his cheeks.

“Ah, Daeryong. I see what you meant now, but why? Huh? Why now? We could’ve just survived right? But its okay, I see. I know because I’ll see you later okay? I’ll come find you okay? I’ll survive my longest though, for you. That’s what you wanted.”

 

Tears still fell onto his cheeks and I felt horrible. That was my gun. My bullet.

“Soryong, I’ll go now. Officer Park will stay with you.”

 

I walked out and headed straight for my office. Once I sat down, I put my head in my hands.

And this was considered a good day.

 

 

 

I walked down the hallways, squeezing my coffee cup. I didn’t realize my own strength and the cup broke. The hot liquid pouring on my hand. I yelped out as the liquid fell on my hand and as that happened, Seungyeol and Myungsoo were passing by.

 

“Whoa! You okay?” Seungyeol said as he picked up my now broken coffee cup.

 

“I’m just fine, thank you.” I said as I took (snatched) the cup out of his hand. I pushed by him while still holding my hurting hand and threw the cup away.

 

I walked to the infirmary and had the doctor wrap my hand.

 

“What happened this time? You ran into a door? You hurt your ankle? No wait, you closed your hand in the door! I’m right aren’t I?”

 

“No! Taemin, you’re my brother and all but you should know me better.”

 

“Ah! That Myungsoo kid right?

 

I mumbled a yes and sat down at the table. “He got a new cellmate and they are like buddy-buddy.” I leaned in to whisper in his ear, “They even slept in the same bed.”

 

Taemin just laughed.

 

“No, listen. He had the nerve to ask if I was okay. Do I look okay?” I said holding up my now red hand.

 

“No, you don’t look okay. Let me wrap that.”

 

I allowed him to wrap my hand and talked about Myungsoo some more.

 

“Just be his friend. Make sure that when he plays the game, you are never there. And don’t hurt anyone, you with your temper.”

 

I just nodded slowly and stood up. “Well, how did you win Minho over?”

“I ed him in his cell.”

 

I knew it. My brother is a nasty freak.

 I need to learn from him.

 

“Okay, how did you manage that? Explain in detail.” I said while taking out my pen and paper.

 

A/N Ohh jealous Sungjong. I’m sorry I don’t have a lot of Hoya but I’ll give him a section next chapter then I’ll resume into the cellmates eyes. Within two or three chapters, the angst will begin. Okay, bye!