Prologue

The Game that Separates Me from You

“Kim.”           

A familiar voice called out followed by the familiar sound of keys jangling and I looked up.

“It’s your turn.”

I laughed. I stood up and made my way towards the bars where they opened upon my arrival.

“Probably my last. Hopefully, my last.” The others eyes looked worried. “Why say that? You’ve survived three years. Don’t you consider yourself lucky?”

I had to laugh at that one. “Lucky. Yeah whatever. I’m not lucky. I consider myself unfortunate really. I’ve been waiting three years to get out of here, if not alive. If anything, luck is not on my side.”

I started walking down the familiar dark hallway when the officer called out my name. “Myungsoo! Don’t say that!” I turned around and looked at the officer. “Officer Lee, I have the right to speak what I want. Maybe our friendship will end today along with my life. Hopefully.”

“Myungsoo, just call me Sungjong once. Just once.” I stopped walking and turned around with a smirk on my face. “Sungjong. Bye.” I said with the raise of my hand as the metal doors closed shut with a loud thud and I was taken to the familiar room down the corridor on the right. Everything was so familiar that I could find it in the dark.

I finally made it to the room and opened it. It creaked as it closed back again and I calmly took my seat at the table. The inmate across from me look terrified. Probably a newbie. Another officer walked in and threw the gun on the table.

“You know the rules. One bullet. 5 clicks.”  I repeated it in my head. I’ve heard it so many times.

“Kim, you first.”

I picked up the gun and with no delay, put it to my head. Click.

I slid the gun over to the other and he looked at it with horror. His eyes wide and tears starting to gather. Pitiful sight for a pitiful bastard.

He didn’t pick up the gun. “Ahn, pick up the gun.” Still did not move. The officer turned to me. “Kim, you do it.” That as my cue, I stood up and grabbed the gun, easily putting it to the guy’s head. He turned hysterical and starting shouting. The officers restrained him and told me to continue.

Man, if this nasty bastard gets my bullet.

Click.

Right where I was standing, I once again put the gun to my head. Click. I mentally cursed at myself.

The guy still sitting started crying again. He doesn’t realize how lucky he would be to get that bullet. But sadly for him, that bullet has my name on it. I put the gun to his once again. But apparently, there is no line for death.

Bang!

The all too familiar sound ricocheted off the walls and the all too familiar smell of blood and death filled the room. The crimson liquid on my fingers and face. 

“Kim, you may leave.” Those words. I ing hated hearing those words.

I was taken back to my cell where the other inmates congratulated me on surviving once again. I hated it. They call me the lucky bastard. More like unlucky bastard. Nice ring to it.

I sat back down and wiped the blood off of me.

“Kim.” I looked up once again.

“You’ll get a new roommate tomorrow. Try not to spoil the surprise.”

I knew what that meant. Don’t tell him he had a 50/50 chance of dying every week.

“Got it.” I said and lied down. Just one rule for me.

Don’t let him die first.