Chapter 10

The Game that Separates Me from You

I walked in and took a seat at the table on the left and Jinki followed in behind me. A little later, the judge walked in I stood up.

“You may be seated.” The judge said and I sat down. “Defendant and lawyer of defendant, please rise.” The judge said. “Do you solemnly swear that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god?”

Jinki and I simultaneously raised our hands and answered, “I swear.” He did the same with the opposing lawyer and then we began.

The opposing lawyer stepped in front and began speaking.

“You see, your honor, it would hold Mr. Lee Sungyeol guilty for the murder of those six poor innocent souls. He was the only one alive and, I’m sure, the killer would have gotten him too if he/she killed the rest in such cold blood.”

 “I call the first witness to the stand. Mrs. Cha Inhye, first to the stand.” The lady walked up towards the stand and I recognized her. In my first year, she taught me designing.

When she arrived on the stand, the judge asked her the oath of honesty to which she answered, “I swear.”

“Mrs. Cha, when you first found the defendant, what kind of condition was he in?” The lawyer began.

“Well, he was up against a wall with his head in his hands and he was all bloody. He was crying but it wasn’t sobbing just weeping. He looked distraught. I noticed the doorknob on the inside was broken off.”

“Okay, did he interact with you?”

“No, he just kept his head down and I was afraid to touch him.” She said.

“Why?” The lawyer continued. “Because he looked like that of a killer?”

Bastard, I thought to myself.

“Objection!” Jinki yelled as he shot up. The judge looked towards Jinki and spoke. “Specify your grounds.”

“He is trying to put these thoughts into her head as for her to say, ‘He did look like a killer/dangerous.’”

“Mmm.” The judge nodded. “Sustained.”

Jinki sat down, satisfied and smiled at me. I nodded back.

“Mrs. Cha, what was the first thing you saw when you entered the room?”

“Well...I saw the blood of course. And Lee Sungyeol.”

“Have you ever interacted with Sungyeol outside of that day?”

She nodded. “I taught him in his first year, a good student he was. To think he did this, well it’s unthinkable to me.” She said honestly and I smiled in my head.

“Well the unthinkable is now thinkable.” The lawyer said and every minute I was growing pissed. “Mrs. Cha, you are done. You may be seated.”

The opposing lawyer sat down and Jinki stood up.

“Your honor, even though it is true that Mr. Lee Sungyeol was the only one alive in that room, none of us really know the events of that occurred that day. We can’t tell if Mr. Lee was indeed the killer or just happened to be in the wrong place. As Mrs. Cha stated, the defendant looked distraught as in he could not believe his friends have just been murdered.” Jinki stated.

“I call the second witness to the stand, Mr. Jo Kyuchul.” Jinki said as a police officer took the stand.

“Mr. Jo, what did you notice when you first stepped inside the room? You were the first officer on duty.” Jinki asked.

“I first noticed this poor girl under a computer table with a smashed laptop in her lab. It looked like she got her head pounded in and I’m guessing it was with the laptop.” As he said that, I heard loud sobs behind me and I saw Jina’s parents crying.

“When you first touched Sungyeol, how did he respond?”

“He just looked up at me and he had blood mixed with tears on his face.”

“Was there anything visibly or physically wrong with him?”

“Well, he walked with a slight limp and he had a small cut on his forehead. I think there was a bruise on his am but nothing to serious.”

“As you see, your honor, Sungyeol had few cuts and scrapes and even a limp. Therefore, we can say he was also injured but spared.” Jinki said as he turned back towards Mr. Jo.

“Mr. Jo, how did he behave on the car ride to the station?”

“He didn’t. When we entered the car, he passed out.”

“Your honor, passing out can be a sign of trauma or head damage. Or both.” Jinki said and I nodded. He was getting everything right.

“Mr. Jo, you are done. You may be seated. Your honor, may I call a third witness to the stand.” Jinki said.

The judge nodded and he called out my name. I froze. I didn’t know I would have to testify. I stood up slowly and walked towards the stand and when I sat down, I saw the faces of my friend’s parents. Some were crying, some glaring, and some looked ready to kill me.

“Mr. Lee Sungyeol.” Jinki began. “Do you remember what happened?”

“No. I remember falling asleep but I don’t know what happened. I w-woke up and…”

“That’s okay.”

“No.” The opposing lawyer stood up. “Let him talk. Your honor, may I cross-examine?”

“Your honor, I-“Jinki started but was cut off. ”Yes, you may.”

The lawyer smirked and Jinki sadly went to go sit-down.

“Mr. Lee Sungyeol, is it true that you fell asleep?”

“Yes.” I answered.

“Is it true that your was found inside of Lee Mihyun’s body?”

“E-excuse me?” I stuttered. The people in the stands and jury gasped.

“Was your in Lee Mihyun’s body?” The lawyer repeated.

“Yes but…”

“Was the door knob broken by you?”

“Y-yes but...”I said starting to get choked up but he kept flying questions at me.

Is it true that you and those six others were the only ones in the room?”

“Yes.” I answered.

“You fell asleep, correct?”

“Yes I did.”

“Is it true that you are biual?”

“Objection!” Jinki shouted. “What does his ual preference have to do with this case?”

“Sustained.” The judge said and Jinki sat down.

“Weren’t you and Kim Minjae not in the best relationship at that moment?”

“Yes…” I said looking down.

“Mr. Lee Sungyeol, are you okay? You look nervous? Are you hanging for hope of being innocent? Anything just penetrating your thoughts? Is your head  pounding as if it’s been smashed?” He asked and I started sweating.

“Mr. Ga Insik, calm down.” The judge said and the lawyer stepped away. “Lee Sungyeol, weren’t you turned down for a design scholarship and the rest were accepted? Were you jealous?”

“Well, yes.” I said and my stomach started hurting.

“Don’t worry Lee Sungyeol, you seven were the only ones there, you dirty deeds will follow you though.” The lawyer said with a laugh.

“Objection, your honor!” Jinki practically screamed and I was dying on the inside. “I think.” I started and Jinki stood up. “I think I’m gonna be sick.” I said as my head started pounding and I was sweating like crazy right now.

“Your honor, may we take a recess?” Jinki asked and the judge nodded. “Calling for recess.” The judge said as he banged his hammer.

Jinki ran up to me and I fell into him. “Sungyeol are you okay? You look on the verge of fainting.”

I put my hand up and started to walk out when a noise came on the intercom and then you could hear a voice talking. Mine.

‘Like I would say I’m guilty, I’ll just lie. I might even shed a few tears and they might buy it, easy bastards.’ My voice rang out and I almost threw up. I said that but I didn’t. Parts were cut out of what was actually said.

‘I know I’m being looked at as guilty but they don’t know I’m really guilty right now. Those six? I hated them. And when they got the scholarships, I just wanted to strangle them, flaunting it in my face. Oh and Mihyun, her body was perfect. I practically banged the life out of her.’ My voice continued and I practically fell out. The crying got louder and soon I heard yells then the judge spoke up.

“Lee Sungyeol, you are under arrest for the murder of Lee Gunwoo, Kim Minjae, Yoo Jina, Lee Mihyun, Shin Lina, and Jo Juhyun.” The judge announced and the yells got closer and closer as I was knocked to the ground and being stepped.

I heard Jinki above me trying to stop it but soon saw him fall and the pain filled my body. Police officers started to get them off but there was a lot. I lifted my hands to my head but my head was still pounding and vision was in a frenzy. I shut my eyes close tight and waited until my body went limp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I shot awake and opened my eyes. I in a white room laying in a white bed and there was a monitor beeping above me. A nurse walked in then ran out and yelled, “He’s awake!” Two doctors rushed in and checked my body temperature and blood.

“Lee Sungyeol.” One said. “Are you okay? Can you see? Do you remember everything?” He asked and I nodded.

I shook my eyes from the dream I just had and rubbed my head. “Sungyeol, tomorrow we are going to send you back to Woolim prison okay?”

“P-prison?” I stuttered and realized it might not have been a dream. The doctor looked at me and said, “Do you not remember?” I nodded my head but then shook it. “I thought it was a dream.” I said to myself and the doctor checked my heart monitor.

“Lee Sungyeol, just rest for now okay? You were in a short coma for 3 days but luckily, nothing is wrong as we can see so it’s safe to send you back tomorrow.”

I slowly nodded my head and the doctors left. I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myungsoo~ wake up, please.” A voice floated above me and slowly opened my eyes. My eyes focused and I saw my mom and dad crying above me. At sight of them, Moonsoo popped into my head.

“Moonsoo...Moonsoo!” I yelled out as I shot up and scrambled to get out of the bed. My mom started to cry harder and tried to hold me back but I broke free and ran into the hallway. I could feel the familiar pain in my ankle and noticed I had a cast on. I burst into room after room shouted for Moonsoo while opening curtains. The doctors soon caught me and took me back to my room where my mom finally told me.

“W-what? No, I saved him. I killed them!” I yelled out and my mom just hugged me and cried.  I started to cry also. The doctors later left and I laid down and told my parents to leave. My dad hesitated but soon took my mom and left.

I just laid there and I stopped crying. I couldn’t cry anymore even though it hurt so badly. I slowly muttered to myself and I didn’t hear the door open.

“Kim Myungsoo.” I didn’t answer.

“I killed them…why….he isn’t dead…I’m dead…” I muttered to myself and a hand shook me. I shook the hand off and pulled the covers over my head but they soon left me and I stopped. I looked up and saw a man in a suit above me with the comforter in his hands.

“Kim Myun-“”Give me.” I said with a glare as I stared at the blanket.

The man ignored me and reached for my hand but I jumped off the bed and grabbed the comforter. The man jerked his hand back but I held on and pulled back towards me. The man fell over and I positioned myself back on the bed. A doctor came in and noticed the man then asked him to leave. The man did and the doctor sat down beside me.

“Myungsoo.”

I closed my eyes.

“Kim Myungsoo~”

I shut them tighter.

“Yah, Kim Myu-“

“You’re so goddamn noisy!” I screamed and the doctor jumped back. “Kim Myungsoo!” The doctor yelled and I faced towards the wall. The doctor muttered a quiet but audible “bastard” and walked out. After that, anyone who came in, I yelled to get out while staying under the blanket.

 

The man came back with a doctor and my mom. “Myungsoo~” My mom cooed. “You have to go with him.” She said and I removed the covers form my head. The doctor started to turn off my heart monitor and took out my tubes. “Kim Myungsoo, come with me.” He said and I just stood up and started to follow me. I felt he wasn’t going to do anything anymore, I didn’t hurt anymore.

“Myungsoo, it’s okay.” She said. I just nodded.

He took me out to his car and I got in myself and we drove to the station. I slowly banged my head on the window as the ride progressed on and on. We finally reached the station and as soon as I got out, I was handcuffed.

I was arrested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sungyeol came back while I was asleep. They didn’t tell me but I soon figured it out myself. I opened my eyes and saw a figure standing up near the side of the bed and I slowly rose.

The figure turned around and I knew who it was. In my groggy state, I walked towards the figure put a hand on his shoulder. His shoulder was warm.

It didn’t last long because he finally turned around and my hand was cold again. I looked down and Sungyeol made his way near the bars, just looking out. I soon walked towards Sungyeol and he turned around again when I arrived.

“You’re up?” He asked and for some for some reason, I felt it didn’t really mean it, if that makes sense. It felt awkward but I just answered. “Yes…your back.” I said but it didn’t feel like it. I feel like he lost a part of him somewhere. He nodded, “I’m back.”

“Are you okay?” I asked. I noticed the scar above his eyebrow. “Mmm.” He responded. It still felt. Forced. I just nodded myself and the bars soon opened.          He walked out and I followed close behind him. We walked in silence and I noticed, Sungyeol didn’t smile. He didn’t act childish and he didn’t crack jokes. He seemed more. Mature, now.

We walked towards the cafeteria and I noticed I hadn’t gone in a while. It was silent unlike before when we would chat away. “Sungyeol, what’s wrong?” I asked again and he turned around quickly. “Nothing. Nothing is wrong.” He said impatiently and I just shut my mouth.

We quickly got some food and all I got was rice. I had lost my appetite. We ate in silence for a while when I decided to speak again. “Sungyeol, I-“

“Stop!” I was startled when he yelled and the other inmates looked at us. “Sungyeol.” I said with a frown and he pounded the table then left. I sat there for a minute, hurt. A few tears fell and I just looked down into my bowl of rice that was slowly dampening.

“Sungyeol…”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We know you did it.”

I looked up and my lawyer stared back at me.

“There is no denying it, we have it on camera. The CCTV outside of your house caught you walking out bloody. As of right now, we can only hope for a shorter sentence or the judge noticing that you had to.”

“I know…”

“What did they do?” My lawyer asked. “We can use it as evidence. Any siblings?”

Once again, Boohyun popped into my head but I can’t say him. I wondered if he knew what was happening.

“No…”

My lawyer sighed. “I need something, Woohyun.”

“I was beaten. Starved. Deprived of freedom. Is that something?”

“Yes. Evidence?”

I nodded and lifted my shirt. “My whole body is evidence.” My lawyer held his breath and looked away. “I’m sorry.” He said. I shook my head and put my shirt down. “You didn’t do it.”

He nodded and continued.

“I’ll fight for you. I really will.” The lawyer continued and I just nodded my head. Hopefully he really would. Hopefully the judge would see what really happened.

I wished. I prayed, wished, and hoped.

But, maybe I hoped and prayed a little too much.

 

 

I think I’m losing ability to actually write a decent story. I'm sorry subs. I feel I’m getting lazy on it but I’m trying. I’ll be starting a new chaptered fic but this one will be fluff and it won’t really follow an actual story line. I hope you guys will enjoy that one and please enjoy further updates.