Chapter 9

The Game that Separates Me from You

“W-what did you say?” I stuttered out and stepped back in disbelief. “The is yours, Sungyeol.” Yoongi explained calmly. “How is it mine? I-I didn’t touch her. You have to believe me, I really didn’t.” I pleaded hoping he would believe but he just shook his head. “I’m sorry Sungyeol. As of right now, you are the main and only suspect. You were the only one in the room and the door was locked. We can’t really believe anything right now.” Yoongi said while standing up and pushing his chair in. “Your lawyer is on the way.” Yoongi said before he left.

 

I fell into my chair and placed my hands on my face. I thought how it even became like this. I was being portrayed as a murderer of my own friends. I was being portrayed as a of my own friend. I looked up to the ceiling in took a deep breath as put my head back into my hands and cried. All I did was cry. What else could I do? I should’ve just died along with them.

 

The door opened and I looked up to find a man dressed nicely in a black suit with a laptop and briefcase. “Sungyeol? I’m your lawyer.” He said as he sat down. I nodded and wiped my tears. “How are you going to get me out of this?” I asked hoping for a good answer. Instead, he frowned a bit and answered, “As of right now, I don’t think that is possible but if you plead guilty, maybe the sentence won’t be as harsh.” Maybe. Wow. My freedom is riding on a maybe. My innocence has flown out the ing window.

 

“Maybe.” I said as I felt my tears well up again. “I being called a murderer of my ing and friends and sit here and say, ‘maybe the sentence won’t be harsh.’ Bull.” I burst out as my patience was running thin. “Sungyeol, calm down. I didn’t mean that but if you have some actual evidence, I’ll do my absolute best.” He said with wide eyes and I just shook my head. “Promise me.” And we made a promise right there.

 

We worked hard to prove my innocence and once we even went back to the crime scene. I was handcuffed and masked as we drove there and made our way into the building. My lawyer, Lee Jinki, and I went alone and I said what I saw and what happened. Jinki just nodded and wrote it down. We left and soon we had enough that I could prove enough of my innocence. Hopefully, they would see how innocent I was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day of the trial came and I was taken out my cell and to the court room. I’ve waited two months. Two months sitting in a jail cell and two months working on this case. I met with Jinki and headed towards the courtroom in handcuffs.

“I’m sure he’s fine though.”

“If he is, why hasn’t he woken up yet?” I said as I buried my knees deeper into my chest.

“He’ll be fine.”

“Why isn’t he fine right now?” I retorted.

Dongwoo stood up and faced me.

 

“Stop thinking of the worst Myungsoo. He’s fine. He won’t die from his injuries. Sungyeol is tougher than he looks.”

“So is Sungjong.” I said remembering Sungjong punching Sungyeol on the ground.

 

“Myungsoo, if you think negative you’ll become negative then the negative will happen.” He told and I just closed my eyes and thought of Sungyeol. Dongwoo was right, Sungyeol is tough and his injuries aren’t fatal. I was thinking of how when he smiled his gums showed and I smiled myself.

 

I was broken from my thoughts when an officer came by asking for me. “Kim, your turn.” I heard and my heart sunk. “Y-yes.” I said and stood up slowly. Dongwoo grabbed my shoulder and gave me a smile but I still frowned. I wondered if I would leave today but quickly shook the thoughts out my head.

 

I passed door after door and finally reached the one that would determine life or death. I stepped inside and the other inmate already sat across from me. I took my seat and the gun was put on the table.  

“5 clicks. 1 bullet. Kang, you first.”

 

The inmate across from me picked up the gun and placed it to his head. He seemed hesitant about picking up the gun and even more so with pulling the trigger but he completed both tasks.

Click!

 

My body jumped at the sound of the gun clicking. The gun slid across the table and I looked at it for a while before extending a shaky hand and picking up the gun. I slowly rose it to my head and with much hesitation placed my hand on the trigger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Moonsoo!” I called out to my brother and he stopped running. “You tryna leave me, you rascal?” I said as I ruffled his hair.

“Yah, hyung. I would have done it by now. You’re a lot slower than you think.” He said as he fixed his hair.

 

I chuckled. “Are you talking down to me?” I joked and Moonsoo shook his head as he repositioned his book bag on his shoulder. “I would never talk down to almighty Kim Myungsoo with the brains and looks to beat. Your majesty.” He joked as he bowed down in front of me.

 

“Well, if you grow just like me you could be the next almighty Kim. Also, I have a heck of a voice and some pretty good moves.” I smiled as I complimented myself and Moonsoo just rolled his eyes.

 

“Hyung.”

“Hm?”

“Bye.” He said as he took off running while I chased after him and his laughter erupted through the air. Though, his laughter soon stopped abruptly and I ran towards where he was.

 

He had fallen on the ground and his backpack was spilled open, three men stood above him. I quickly ran towards him and helped him up. When he was up and his backpack contents returned to its carrier, I bowed slightly and tried to leave but the first guy held me back.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?” He asked and I answered, “Home.” I bowed my head slightly and once again tried to leave but he stepped in front of me.

“He.” He said pointing towards Moonsoo, “Stepped on my shoe.” I looked down and his shoes and they looked clean, almost sparkling. “Well, I’m sorry mister but we really need to get home.” I said grabbing Moonsoo’s hand.

 

“No, my shoe is dirty.” He told me. “It looks fine to me.” I said. “But it’s not.” “Yes it is, your shoe is fine.” I argued but Moonsoo grabbed my shirt.

“I’m so sorry sir.” He said bowing a deep 90 degree angle bow. “Yah, Kim Moonsoo, stand up.” I said as I straightened him out. “We are going home.” I said once again and I grabbed Moonsoo’s hand but our grip was broken when I heard a thud possibly a cracking nose.

 

I turned around and Moonsoo was on the ground holding his nose and blood spilled out of his hands. “You bastard!” I yelled going at the first guy but there were three and I got one good punch in before I was on the ground being stomped out.

 

“Hyung!” Moonsoo screamed as he grabbed one of their legs but was kicked off and soon being in the same predicament as me. I heard his grunts and squeaks but I couldn’t move. My left leg was repeatedly stepped on and my ankle was throbbing. My right arm had a gash from the elbow to mid forearm. I raised my arms above my head and one of the guys that were with me moved to Moonsoo and his squeaks became muffled screams. Moonsoo was a bleeding mess right now.

 

One last kick to the gut send me into a world of stars and my vision was blurring. The last guy left me and headed to Moonsoo. I was rolling towards a land of unconsciousness but I fought to stay on this Earth. I wish I hadn’t.

 

I slowly got on my hands and knees and crawled towards the brick wall, the guys didn’t see me. I grabbed a wooden plank and slowly stood up. My left leg wasn’t supporting me but I forcefully pulled myself towards the guys and with a battle cry, I started to swing.

 

I hit the first guy in his back and he crumpled over but was soon getting up and I hit another in the leg. I was just spinning and spinning hitting anything in sight. Moonsoo still lay on the ground and started to slow down because of my ankle but I dropped the plank and soon located a pile of bricks. I shut my eyes and I picked one after the other and just started hurling them. Blood started to fall into my eyes but I’m rubbed it away and continued on throwing the bricks.

I no longer heard movement so I opened my eyes and saw all three men lying on the ground. I dropped the bricks and ran to Moonsoo who lay on his side.

“Moonsoo.” I cried out as I dropped to my knees. I slowly pushed him on to his back and he looked up at me and my heart broke. All bloody and beaten, he forced a smile and just looked at me. He didn’t say anything, it was silent.

“Moonsoo, can you move. Get on my back, you need help.” I said as I stood up and slowly lifted him to his feet. I bent down and he obediently climbed on and I started to walk down the hill.

 

I limped towards the nearest store I could find and when I walked in, the cashier screamed. “Oh my god! Are you okay? You need help!” She shouted as she ran to a phone and I slowly fell to the ground. A customer in there ran over to us and I closed my eyes. My breath started to even out and body felt a little lighter. The pain in my ankle slowly started disappearing and I laughed a bit. I laughed a bit then I slowly drifted away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Woohyun.” Sunggyu spoke and I looked up. “Are you okay? You’ve been staring into space for a while.” He told me and I just shook my head with a smile. “I’m fine, really.” I said and Sunggyu slowly nodded.

 

I was fine just my mind wasn’t. I kept thinking about that day. Ever since Sunggyu talked about it, I was remembering it. I was forgetting it slowly but maybe I didn’t need to forget it. Maybe I needed to remember it all.

 

“I’m fine.” I said again with a smile. Sunggyu smiled at that and walked to me. “Good. I don’t like you sad.” He said as he laid his hand on my head.

I laughed slightly and removed his hand. “Sorry, Sunggyu, I’m really tired right now. I’m going to go take nap okay?” He just nodded filled with concern.

 

I walked out of his office and towards my cell. The guard outside of the cell doors opened it and I walked towards my cell. When I arrived, I climbed up to my bunk and closed my eyes. I dreamt of that day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you awake?” The doctor standing up my asked. I slowly nodded and then remembered where I was. “Well Mr. Nam.” He said looking at his clipboard. “I found bruising all over your body and a few scars on your abdomen. How did that happen?” He asked and I looked at my hands. “There was also severe bleeding from your bottom. Can you tell me about that?” The doctor said.

I clasped my hands together and squeezed them. “I thought so.” He said. “Do you have a guardian?” I thought about saying Boohyun but I didn’t want to get him in trouble. I shook my head.

The doctor looked confused and spoke up. “Mr. Nam, it says here that you have mother, father, and an elder brother.”

“If you knew, why did you asked?” I hissed at him.

The doctor sighed and I sat down beside the bed. “Because then I would know. May I call you Woohyun?” I didn’t answer. He laughed slightly.

“I’m Kim Seokjin but you can call me Dr. Jin or just Jin is fine.” He tried to lighten me but I remained silent. “Well, Woohyun, I was abused too.”

At that, I finally looked up. If you first looked at this man, you could hardly tell. His skin was milky and his smile was angelic. He looked like…like a princess.

“You were? Abused? Are you just saying that?” I asked. “I wouldn’t joke about that.” He said firmly.

“Why?”

“For being born basically.” He answered. “How about you?”

I hesitated for a moment and finally spoke. “For being gay.” I said in a deadly whisper.

 

Jin looked shocked. Confusion, then anger, than sadness and even sympathy washed over his face. “Woohyun, I. I’m so sorry.” He said.

“I’m fine.” I said and Jin still looked upset. “Are you hungry? Tired? Thirsty?” He asked questions and I shook my head. “Don’t pity me. I’m not a kicked puppy.” I told him and he looked down. “I’m sorry.” He said and now he looked like a kicked puppy. “No, I’m sorry.” I quickly said.

“Woohyun, I’ll come back to you later.” Jin said as he stood up and walked out of the room. I looked up and then got comfortable and closed my eyes.

 

 

“Whoa, what are you doing? You can’t go in there. Stop you- I said stop!” A familiar voice shouted outside of my door and I sat up. The door soon burst open and in walked two men with notebooks and dress shirts with blazers. Jin ran in behind them.

“You need to leave, right now.” Jin said as he tried to push them out but they pushed him aside.

 

“Nam Woohyun.” One spoke to me. “You are under the arrest on Nam Byungwoo and Cha Sebin.” They said and Jin stopped for a moment but then continued on pushing at them until they fell out the door and he quickly locked the door.

“Jin I-“I started but he cut me off. “I don’t care, Woohyun. It’s okay.” He said. “I’m sorry.” I apologized but he put a hand up. “Don’t apologize, it’s not your fault. I know.” He spoke and I nodded.

“Thank you.”

“I don’t need thanks.” He said with a wide smile and I smiled a little myself. We could hear the men banging on the door outside and Jin laughed at them. “Persistent bastards, aye.” He said while stretching his back.

“Do you think it’s safe?” I asked. “What?” Jin said as he stopped stretching. “To go with them, do you think it’s safe?”

“Woohyun, that’s your choice. I can’t tell you.” Jin said sincerely and I slowly pulled the covers from over me. “Then, I’ll go.”

Jin nodded and opened the door where the two men looked towards us and I walked over.

“Nam Woohyun.” One said as he pulled out handcuffs. “You are under arrest for murder of the first degree.” He said as the other read me the Miranda rights.

He started to walk me out and I looked at Jin who responded back with a reassuring smile and a fist in the air. I smiled back as I was pulled out of the hospital and towards the police car. The two sat in front and I was positioned in the back.

The car started and we drove on. I looked out the window and stared at the scenery

 

“I’m sorry, Boohyun.” I whispered as the car sped up.