CHAPTER 2

Silver Lining

Everyone had fear. They didn’t know what will happen next. If the earthquake will return or not, when will it return, it will return in higher rector or smaller one?? They had so many questions but none of them had the answer. That day, all were outside, no one dared to go in. Everyone started making a tent outside to sleep at night. But, Sungyeol’s family didn’t want to be in the crowd of so many people, neither they wanted to be out. So, they decided to stay at the basement of the house. They could not sleep peacefully. Fear was engraved in their heart.

When Sungyeol woke up the next day, people were still out. Nobody dared to go in. His whole family too went outside. At day time, they were bored to death sitting there doing nothing so, they thought of taking a stroll around. While they were roaming suddenly, at 12:54, the earthquake hit again. Mrs. Lee was the one who freaked out the most because they were in middle of tall buildings then. They hurriedly ran to the nearby open space. But one of the tall building nearby cracked its roof & it was nearly going to collapse. This made her knees go week. Sungyeol hugged her tightly & tried to calm her down. After a while when the shaking became little mild, they thanked God for saving their life. This time it was 6.9 rector. Mrs. Lee had become so weak due to physical & mental stress. She was trembling so much. Sungyeol wanted to help his mom but didn’t know how. They had not eaten properly as well. So, they went to a hotel, which was luckily operating. Sungyeol held his mother’s hand & rubbed her back. After some time, her trembling was controlled. Sungyeol felt great relief.

There was a small park near their house. Whole Lee family went there & sat in one bench looking around the people there. Mr. & Mrs. Lee started to have conversation with other people around.  Hoya, Sungyeol & Sungjong were talking among themselves. Sungyeol’s ear perked up when he heard the ajumma sitting next to his mom asked if she wanted to go for a short walk around. Mrs. Lee kindly declined her since she was not feeling too good. Hoya & Sungjong also didn’t have strength to move from there. So, Sungyeol asked his mom if he could join them. She readily agreed for that. Sungyeol didn’t know the ajumma well but he knew that they lived just a few blocks away from their house & she had two sons who were around his age.

Along the way, Sungyeol came to know their name- Myungsoo and Sunggyu- Myungsoo was his dongseang whereas Sunggyu was his hyung. As Lee’s house, their house also had some little cracks but it was not risky to enter. But since the earthquake was returning time to time, it was unsafe to remain inside. Sunggyu hyung was mature so, Sungyeol liked talking with him. He shared the do’s & don’ts during earthquake. He knew so many things about their nation’s history & world history regarding this matter. So, Sungyeol became fond of him. While, Myungsoo was walking by himself. Mrs. Kim told that she has experienced such quakes two times in her lifetime but none of them were this terrifying. Sungyeol felt little uncomfortable seeing Myungsoo distancing from them. He felt that maybe Myungsoo didn’t like company of strangers.

So, he asked Sunggyu, “Hyung, am I making you feel uncomfortable in any way?”

“Nope. Why do you ask?”

“Myung….soo, he seems a bit distant due to me!”, Sungyeol replied honestly.

At this Sunggyu just smiled & said, “Oh, don’t worry about him. He does not have much interest in this topic that’s all. If you talk about photography, he will be the most talkative one.”

“Really?”, Sungyeol wondered.

“See here then”, Sunggyu looked towards Myungsoo and said little loudly, “The view from here looks so good right Sungyeol. If only Myungsoo had brought his camera with him, he would have captured the best shots.”

Sungyeol didn’t know how to respond so he replied little uncertain, “Oh, Myungsoo does photography?”

Upon hearing his name & photography, Myungsoo quickly joined the conversation, “Yup, I love photography Sungyeol hyung. Due to earthquake I could not enter the house to fetch my camera else, I could have taken lots of photos while roaming around.”

“I would like to see your photo collection some time then!”, Sungyeol exclaimed.

“Anytime hyung. I will show you all the photos I took of the nature, my family & random stuffs.”

Sungyeol smiled at his eagerness, “Sure. I would love to see that.”

Sunggyu nudged & whispered to Sungyeol, “See he is super talkative if its his topic of interest.”

Sungyeol was amused to see 360 degree change in Myungsoo’s personality. But he liked this side more.

Sungyeol was a person who wanted to know about almost all the topics available. He had slight interest in photography as well. He was a kid like Jack of All & Master of None. So, while Myungsoo was sharing so much information about photography, he was totally fascinated. They didn’t know how time passed by so fast while walking such a long distance enjoying each other’s company. Sungyeol & Kim family felt so close to each other.

At evening, many people started arranging tents to sleep that night. There was a big tent in the nearby park arranged by Government to have meal, people could sleep there as well. Mrs. Lee asked Mrs. Kim if they were going to join the tent there.

“No. I heard that the food there is not so good. So, we will quickly go to our house, make meal & bring it down & have. What about you?”, Mrs. Kim questioned.

Mrs. Lee replied, “We were also thinking the same. But we must be careful. We should not spend much time inside. I heard that at day when the quake hit again slightly, Mrs. Jang was inside the house only. She felt so thirsty so, she had gone to fetch the water. She is frightened so much. She is not going to step her foot into the house now.”

With sympathy, Mrs. Kim replied, “Poor Mrs. Jang. The quakes have been returning in frequently. Though its in small scale, if we are inside house we feel the greater effect. The higher our apartment is higher the risk. Okay, Mrs. Lee see you later. Better be careful while inside the house. Let your children help you in the kitchen & come out as soon as possible.”

“You too. Lets make the simplest dish & be out in the ground soon.”

Both families parted and went to their own houses.

 


 

 A/N:  So sorry to update after so long. I was caught up in many things. But I wanted to update a chapter on my Birthday so, here it is. I am BETTING the chapter is BAD but I will write it under MOONLIGHT & work hard to make it better in REALITY!

Special thanks to pbpandaa for your sweet words ⊙‿⊙  & for making my day more special^^

AND, GUYS BAD IS REALLY BAD FOR MAKING ME FANGIRLING LIKE CRAZY IN MY B’DAY! BUT I CAN’T BELIEVE WE SURPASED 1M VIEW IN LESS THAN 24HRS! INSPIRIT CHINGGUS ARE DAEBAK!