☆Sungjong☆ Mr. Manly

・Infinite Series・

After filling out applications, attending volunteer orientation sessions, going through the health screening tests and interviews with volunteer services staff members. You’ve finally been accepted to help out at your local hospital yet, it wasn’t easy to choose what section you wanted to work for. 

Your hospital offered endless ways to volunteer. There was the usual visit with patients, be present in recovery rooms, greet visitors and patients, or work in the gift shop or cafeteria. You seemed more opted on the gift shop or cafeteria but why work there? Clearly there was a reason why you wanted to work in a hospital; to help people. You ejoyed helping others whether it made a huge or small impact on their lives. Back then, when you were much younger, you would witness people needing help but you didn’t have the courage or confidence to go out of your way to do something about it. And it’s okay, we all can be like that at one point! In all, you pushed through your timidness and began helping out more often. Choosing to go with helping and being present for patients, you signed up for more training and short extra classes to help you gain more knowledge.

 

———————————————————————————————————————————————

 

It’s been a year and eleven months into your job and you loved it here. Not a lot people can say they enjoy hospitals, but for you, it was almost like another place to call home. You grabbed your small clipboard and walked down the bright white hall heading to room seven. Noticing the patient was still asleep you quietly walk over to the window and open it slightly for some fresh air. “It’s not always good to be cooped up inside a small-ish room.” You whisper to yourself. Opening the blinds a bit you make sure it’s still dark but light enough to see around the room. Walking backwards out the door, you make sure you close the door slowly and quietly as possible. Suddenly bumping into someone, you already know it’s the nurse to come check up on not only the patient but you as well. “I just checked if she was awake or not Dianah unnie, but I-” You stopped yourself realizing it wasn’t her. “Oh, it’s just you.” You gave the young man an unsurprising look. “What do you need? And what are you doing out of bed Sungjong?” Sungjong only smiled. You and him were so accustomed to each other due to his uncommon personality that he could discuss or do anything to or with you. Of course there were some.. well, multiple boundaries he still couldn’t cross. But overall you both tended to be great friends.

Bringing him back into his room Sungjong slides into his bed and pulls the covers over his legs. “Good morning.” He only says with a straight face. “Morning.” You reply. As you check off the things on the list you grab a chair and sit close to him. Taking his arm, you check his pulse silently. “This is new.” He tells you in a curious tone. “Yeah, I think want to try and become a nurse. I don’t want to just volunteer forever.” Sungjong moves his hand away from you. “But that means you might be moved to a different area! I disapprove of this!” He crossed his arms over his chest and looked away from you. Shaking your head you hand him a small bag of chips you bought from a vending machine downstairs. “It was only a thought Sungjong.. I don’t know if I want to or not yet. Eat your chips and meet me outside.” After exiting the room, Sungjong looks down on his lap and sees the chips. Letting out a sigh he opens the bag and eats. 

He can’t really explain how it happened but, ever since you walked into his room introducing yourself, asking if he needed anything he just… fell for you. He couldn’t get over your smile or how sweet you talked to him. Even when you were angry or assertive with him, he liked you. He liked you so much he started wanting only you to assit him. No one else. Sungjong claims he wasn’t clingy about you. He calls it jealousy. Since he was“jealous” about how you cared for others more than him. Plus being his friend was even better. One day he knew he had to tell you how he felt for you. He just didn’t know when would be the right time.

Buttoning up his light blue cardigan over his shirt, Sungjong looks around for you outside in the mini garden. Waving to a few patients he befreinded he notice you sitting alone on a bench in front of a flower bed surrounding a fountain. Jogging over to you, Sungjong hears you telling him not to run while asking him if he ate the chips or not. With a laugh he nods “Of course I did! However, I prefer an actual breakfast.. but the chips were fine as well.” He stops his job and walks over to you then plopping himself down. “So why are we out here? Is there something going on?” “Nope. I just want us to get some fresh air.” Nodding, Sungjong leans back and observes everyone talking or the plants that are basking in the sun. Seeing other volunteers watering the plants he grabs your hand pulling you over to them and takes two watering cans. Handing you a red watering can, he takes the blue one for himself and begins pouring small amounts on the flowers. After watering the plants, you notify Sungjong that you need to go and check up on other patients. “Already? Can’t you stay a little longer with me?” Setting down the watering can you shake your head. “I’m really sorry Sungjong, but I’ll see you later! Maybe after eight o’clock?” You told him with an apologetic expression.

It was twenty minutes after eight and you know Sungjong will be scolding you about it. “He shouldn’t even be telling me off! I’m in charge of him!” Furrowing your eyebrows you say goodbye to another patient and head to his room. Opening his door you see him on his phone playing a game. Setting down files you had in your hand you began to walk over until he said “You didn’t knock.” Giving him a slight glare you knock on the door and say “May I come in?” “Yes, you can.” He looked up with a small smile and continued to play his game. Sitting down on the edge of his bed you remove his tray of untouched food as you wait for him to ask why you were late. Besides, he should know by now why you’re late. It was pretty obvious. Locking his phone he looks over at you and clears his throat. “You don’t have to be here _______.” He pauses then continues “And I understand why you were late so don’t feel bad. Also I know I shouldn’t always talk so comfortably with you since you could get in serious trouble because of me.” “What’s going on? Why are you suddenly saying this Sungjong? What are you up to?” You begin to wonder what he’s really up to. “It’s nothing.. I promise.” He replies with a straight face. “Sungjong, be honest with me. That’s why I am here. Is everything okay?” You scoot closer trying to find out what’s going on with him. “I just-” He hesitates. “Lee Sungjong what’s wrong?.” You ask more seriously.

 

- 6 Hours Ago -

 

Sungjong watched a little girl and two boys playing tag until the boy pushed the girl down. Heading over to them Sungjong helps up the crying little girl and cleans off the dirt on her knees and shirt. “Yah! Why did you push her? You’re not supposed to hurt girls or anyone in general! How would you feel if she did that to you, huh?” The little boy only stared at Sungjong for a few seconds until he bursted out crying. Not knowing what to do, Sungjong asked the little boy not to cry as he also comforted the little girl. “I-It’s because I like her hyung! I like Kiyun.” The little boy explained. Suprised by his answer Sungjong noticed the little girl widen her eyes wiping away her stained cheeks. “Soohyun.. you like me? She asked him. The little boy nodded. “I like you too!” She ran over and hugged him. Both Sungjong and the other boy were completely confused. Kneeling down to their level Sungjong cleared his throat. “Yah, kids, if you like someone you should just say it. You don’t have to hurt them like that. It’s not nice to hurt anyone just because you can’t express y-” Sungjong stopped himself realizing how hypocritical he was being, plus the kids weren’t even listening. They walked away from him without a care. Bossing you around or clinging onto wasn’t gonna make you like him like he likes you. Feeling sorry towards you because of his actions, he stood up and decided to be more upfront with you.

 

- Back to Present Time -

 

Sungjong grasped your arms and pinned you to the bed as he hovered over you. He looked you in the eyes and took a breath. “_______, I really like you. And I know I’m not in my best shape but I can care for you. I may not look as strong or manly as the guys you work alongside with but I am. I’m more manly than all of them combined. So listen to my confession and tell me if you feel the same way.” In utter shock you could only stare back at him wondering why he confessed so carelessly. What made him do this? And you? Of all people in this place he liked you. He took interest in you only. letting go of your arms Sungjong sat at the end of the bed and asked you to leave since you were still silent. You wanted to give him an answer as quickly as possible, but for some reason you wanted to think about more. Tons of thoughts began to pile in your head, you were left confused and flattered. Before leaving you tell him goodbye and walk out closing the door. 

Still standing by the door you wish you could of atleast gave him a hug or something. You felt your heart pound in your chest. Your feelings were beginning to show more clearly. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like I said on my tumblr I liked writing this alot! I had a ton planned for this.. this is why I didn't post over the weekend... I'm also sorry about that. Anyways!! I hope you like it!!! ENJOY!!! And please PLEASE right some comments!! Please? I need to know how you all feel about these one shots, okay? Thank you for reading and if there are mistakes let me know! I apologize once again! I'll fix them asap~~ /waves byeeee/