Chapter 3

Iridescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New York, Summer 2008

 

It was still 6:30 am and the sun had just risen but Ji Hyo was already sitting on a bench in the middle of Central Park. She actually intended to wake up late as she had pulled all-nighters for a week to do her late assignment and just submitted it yesterday, not to mention she finally got her summer break but she couldn’t sleep at all last night. Fed up with it, she decided to wake up and go to the Central Park.

She was just sitting there with earphone on her ears and listening to a catchy song played from her iPod while watching some early risers jogged around the park. Few people were passing in front of her, but a man with a grey hoodie and black short sweatpants caught her eyes. She couldn’t see the face clearly because of the snapback he’s wearing but she felt familiar with him. Not long after, he passed in front of her again and she finally discovered who he was.

“Jong Kook oppa!” She called him but apparently he didn’t hear her because the headphone that he wore over his snapback.

Feeling happy that she got to meet him again after their daily meet up in the library was over, she decided to run after him. Ji Hyo was already out of breath when she nearly almost after him. With her last spurt of energy to run, she caught up with him and tapped his back before stopped and took her time to breathe.

Jong Kook was startled when he felt someone tapped his back. He looked back to find out and he saw Ji Hyo was squatting down with her face on her knees, still trying to catch her breath. He walked towards her, removed his headphone from his ears and squatted down in front of her.

“Hey.” He said slowly. Ji Hyo looked up and found that Jong Kook was smiling at her. His small eyes formed crescent shapes.

“You okay?” He asked and Ji Hyo could only nod, still couldn’t take her eyes from him. When she realized she was staring at him so openly, her cheeks blushed. Jong Kook noticed it and let out a chuckle.

She is indeed an interesting girl, he thought.

He stood up and helped Ji Hyo stood up then he handed his bottle of water to her. Ji Hyo took it shyly and drank it slowly, aware that Jong Kook was watching her. When she was done, she handed it back and said her thanks to him.

“So, how’s your assignment? Have you submitted it yet?” Jong Kook initiated the conversation as they walked in the shade of the elm trees on the wide cobbled path.

“I finished it and I already submitted it too, thanks to you. Oh! Let me treat you, oppa, as my token of appreciation because you helped me.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I’m glad I can help you.” He smiled and his eyes started to disappear again, forming an eye smile.

Ji Hyo admitted that this man beside her was so handsome. His perfect classic masculine features, with a sharp nose and thin lips, combined with his lean, muscular body were such a killer for any woman in this world. The morning sunlight was hitting his slightly tanned skin causing his features to stand out more. What Ji Hyo loved the most was his small eyes that seemed to disappear every time he smiled. But she noticed many times that the look in his eyes was distant and sad as if he had a heavy burden on his wide shoulders.

“You really like to stare at me, don’t you?” His voice broke her reverie. “Am I too hard to resist?” He more and laughed.

Jong Kook was the type to get shy around the girls. He didn’t know why but with Ji Hyo, he felt comfortable, like he already knew her for years instead for a week.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter