Chapter 18

Iridescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pohang, Winter 2015

 

It was an early morning in Pohang and the weather has turned cold but Ji Hyo was already strolling around the morning market with her mother. She couldn’t sleep well these past few days –thanks to a man who annoyed her, so she thought inhaling a fresh air could clear her mind. After her mother finished with her shopping, she told her to go home first because Ji Hyo wanted to go to the beach.

Ji Hyo arrived at the beach with a hot coffee in a paper cup that she bought earlier in the market. She sipped a bit and continued to walk along the shore. The beach was very quiet, only a few people besides her, maybe because it was winter. She found a place to sit, a bit far from the sea, so she didn’t have to worry the waves would approach her. Looking far, she saw nothing but the deep blue sea with the tide hit the shores. The salty air blowing on her face felt wet and cold as it passed by, the unique smell tingled her nose as she breathed in.

Ji Hyo closed her eyes, trying to enjoy this moment to calm her mind. It was 2 days after Christmas and still there was no words from her boyfriend. It was actually because she turned off her phone so he couldn’t reach her. He promised to come with her to Pohang but she arrived here alone few days ago without him because he had to deal with a sudden matter that developed on his company. She knew that it wasn’t his fault but she couldn’t help but feeling disappointed with him.

“Don’t make a promise that you don’t intend to keep.” She muttered under her breath.

She wanted to contact him but her ego didn’t let her, Ji Hyo remembered the time when they broke up, it was like this all over again. He broke his promise and he didn’t tell her anything --Well, maybe he did. She felt like a teenage girl, angry with her boyfriend just because of silly things, but for this time she wanted to be selfish.

Ji Hyo pulled up her jacket and watched the waves were gently drenching the sand. She wanted to shout as loud as she possibly could, to tell the world how much he disappointed her yet she still loved him and she didn’t want to lose him again. She knew she had to forgive and learn that sometimes he was bound to break his promise because his company was also important to him, but no, not today.

She glanced around and saw that no one was close enough with her to hear her. Ji Hyo was so pissed off with Jong Kook, she needed to vent her anger so much that she didn’t care about her image anymore. Let them think I’m a crazy person, I don’t care anymore.

Ji Hyo walked over to the sea and stopped when her winter boots touched the water. She took a deep breath, preparing herself to let out her emotion.

“I HATE YOU SO MUCH, KIM JONG KOOK!” She yelled, “WHY DO YOU KEEP DISAPPOINTING ME?”

“DON’T YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THAT IT HURTS?”

“KIM JONG KOOK, I HATE YOU, I LOVE YOU!” She continued, “I HATE THAT I LOVE YOU!”

“I love you too, Song Ji Hyo.”

Ji Hyo gasped and turned around, just to see Jong Kook was there, still wearing his expensive business suit with black winter coat and he was smiling at her.

---

Jong Kook knew that Ji Hyo was angry at him since he ended his last phone call with her, when he told her that he couldn’t go with her back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter