Chapter 12

Iridescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The chime at the front door rang as a muscular man walked inside the café. It was nearly the closing time but the café was still packed with customers. Even though this place owned by his close friend, Jong Kook only came here once and only to buy a cake for his sister so he didn't have a time to enjoy the ambiance. He usually waited for Dong Hoon outside the café when they hang out together. Warmth and cozy were the first impression of his. Different shades of blue dominated the wall and interior. There were also penguins’ theme decorations spread around the café.

Jong Kook saw there were two people behind the counters and he spotted the woman, his dearest woman, working as the cashier. She was wearing a white shirt and black jeans with black apron around her tiny waist, her hair was tied to a bun. The view of her beauty made him smiled unconsciously.

Jong Kook joined the line, waiting for his turn patiently. A few minutes later, he stood in front of the register. Ji Hyo still hadn’t realized he was the next customer as she was still typing something on the cash machine.

“Hello, sir, may I take…” Ji Hyo  looked up and she gasped, “Oppa! What are you doing here?”

“What? Am I not allowed to be here?” He pretended to be angry but he actually wanted to laugh as he saw Ji Hyo’s blank face.

“It’s not like that, but… You don’t like sweet foods, do you?” Ji Hyo still confused.

She remembered that Jong Kook hated sweet foods and desserts. She was the one who enjoyed those kind of foods. Ji Hyo recalled the memories when they were still together in New York, she was sometimes made Jong Kook ate cakes and although he resisted at first, but in the end he complied to her requests just to make her happy then he would nag about the calories and sugars amount.

“Hmmm, maybe it isn’t for me.” He answered, his thin lips formed a secretive smile. Ji Hyo rolled her eyes at his answer then she realized that she was still at work and this wasn’t the right time to argue with him.

“Alright, what’s your order, oppa?”

“What’s your recommendation?”

“The carrot cake is the best seller here, with freshly grated carrots, pecans and topped with almonds. It also isn’t too sweet. We also have banana pudding with vanilla wafers, fresh bananas and soft, creamy vanilla pudding. Our red velvet cake recognized as one of the best red velvet cake in Korea so you have to try it.” Ji Hyo explained to him the menu which were all actually her favorites.

“Okay, I would like one slice of red velvet cake and one cup of hot chocolate, please.” He said his order and Ji Hyo registered it on the machine.

“That would be 12500 won, oppa.”

Jong Kook took out his wallet and handed over the cash, and stood off to the side as she prepared his order.

“Here’s your foods, oppa. Enjoy!” Ji Hyo handed him the tray.

“Join me after you finish your work, Ji Hyo –yah. I’ll wait for you there.” He pointed to the table near the window. Before she could answer, he already walked to the table and sat down.

Jong Kook put the tray on the table and glanced at his watch. He only had to wait for 15 minutes until the closing time so he sat there and spent his time watching Ji Hyo served the other customers. One by one the customers left the café until there was only him.

Ji Hyo finished her work as fast as she could. After she was done, she came up to him, there she found him reading something from his phone and a frown formed on his handsome face.

“Something’s wrong, oppa?” She asked him as she took a seat on the chair in front of him.

He looked at her and shook his head, “It’s nothing, Ji Hy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter