Meeting

Wolf Princess

Why do I wear my hair in a bun? Because Oh Sehun once said my hair was ugly. The reason I don’t wear tennis shoes anymore even though they are better for my feet? They track mud, unlike my combat boots, and mud is dirt. Dirt is the subject that got me where I was in the category of bully victims.

There were a lot of things that I started noticing about my life that were dictated by the despairing words directed toward me, said by none other than Oh Sehun. Proud as I make myself doesn’t mean I don’t have insecurities. Actually I think it is the opposite. When you look at how people make themselves out to be is a measure of how insecure they really are. Then again, where would Oh Sehun stand, because he is one cocky bastard.

In reality, I probably should have taken a picture of the schedule that he made. I didn’t even remotely remember the times he had set up. I might have bolted out of Mythological Creatures in order to avoid unwanted malice, and in essence avoid Sehun. Since our Chem lab was canceled, that bolting action of mine was really running straight to the forest. I was in a frenzy once I stepped out the doors of one of the campus buildings.

My ears picked up tiny, faint cries. Without hesitating, I walked straight into the forest, following my instincts and the familiar sound. It was a cry of a bear, a cub more like it, as I listened to a high pitch sound, my ears led me to the source.

Half a mile in I was reaching a part of the forest that was uneven due to an old earthquake. I hoped down cliffs in reasonable height, until I found my source. I was right, it was a baby cub. An uprooted tree decided to still grow on its side, hanging over a not so small cliff. From the looks of it, the cub wasn’t just crying, because the faint smell of blood entered my nostrils. The cub was injured, and caught on a branch of the fallen tree.

The branch wouldn’t have been able to carry my human weight. It was midday, I was hesitant towards changing, but I knew my wolf form was half the weight of my human form. I looked around for a good hiding spot for my stuff, and carelessly stashed it away, and carelessly changing in broad daylight.

With light steps, I tested my paw on the tree trunk before putting all of my weight on it. My death was not going to be saving a cub and plummeting to my grave. I struggled to reach the hysterical thing as it continuously cried out. I crouched down my stomach and crawled over to the screaming child, gently picking it up between my teeth and pulling it from it’s tangled mess. A few drops of blood entered my mouth, I was relieved that temptation didn’t get the better of me.

Once secure, I had to back up while still lying on my stomach, which is more difficult than it seems when you are on all fours. As soon as the pads of my feet hit dirt I felt more comfortable.

When I set the cub down, explanation of its crying was made known. A broken piece of an arrow was sticking in its hind leg, collecting clots of blood. I made the mistake of growling lowly, scaring the bear. Hunting was illegal in the forest, and the entire town knew it. I held the cub down with my front paw to keep it from squirming, and pulled the arrow out with my sharp teeth.

The cub started crying even more, making me feel really guilty for injuring it further. I lapped up the blood from it’s wound, healing it in the process. The cries subsided after a good minute.

My ears picked up two sets of footsteps. Two?! Behind a tree appeared a large brown bear, looking for her cub. The mama bear. Oh boy. Who was the second? Instantly the mother bear cowered back, but kept her eyes on the cub lying on the group.

I nudged the cub in the direction and it limped towards the mother. Before it could reach the adult bear, I heard a gasp, and a not-even-slightly-manly scream. In a flash, I whipped my head over to the idiot who decided to follow me. Mama bear stood up on her hind legs in a protective way. She was ready to pounce. I could hear him hyperventilating, the mother stood down on all fours and started growling at us. In this case, this bear knew me, knew what I was, and knew I was superior to it. 

But it was defensive towards the cub, and I could completely understand why it was taking this stance. He couldn’t. He kept muttering to himself, and I had no way of calming him down. There is a reason the phrase mama bear exists. She wouldn’t risk attacking us if it meant her child could get hurt. Then again, she knows I wouldn’t hurt her child. The only reason she acted up in the first place was because of his presence.

I turned around to see so-called fearless Oh Sehun wobble to the ground and fall on his . You heard me: Oh Sehun. “Holy …”

I stopped the mother from attacking Sehun, standing right in between her and him. She knew not to mess with me, reluctantly lowering herself. She took her cub and left me alone with him.

A sour scent filled my nostrils, and it wasn’t his nasty cologne. It was coming from the arrow, coated red with blood. I paid more attention to the little object that caused this whole mess, instead of paying attention to the idiot who backed himself up into a tree.

Honestly I had never imagined that Sehun had this kind of side to him. The confidence he always flaunted made it seem like he wasn’t easily scared. To say the least, it was very entertaining. Boy has a fear of bears, so it would seem. Maybe wolves too, if I decided to scare him.

Oh my God the arrow tip is silver…That’s what the smell was. It was way more important than the fact that a human besides my human self was in the forest. No one ever uses pure silver arrows. Whoever shot this was looking to hunt something else, and greatly missed it’s real target. That was for sure. For a second, I almost forgot about Sehun. The sound of his heartbeat brought be back to reality. It might as well have been a hammer against metal it was so loud.

The moment I looked up at him, he surrendered. He might have known I had forgotten about him for a minute. “!” He jumped back, legs giving way. He landed flat on his after his legs buckled from fear.

I waited, and just stared at him. It’s not like I was going to do anything, but it was probably the first time Sehun had ever seen a wolf in person. And this one wasn’t behind a cage like a zoo. I sat on my hind legs, testing him. He knitted his eyebrows together in confusion. He wasn’t running. That’s what I expected. But he didn’t. He was breathing heavily, mouth slightly parted, completely frozen in his spot.

I know I looked like a normal wolf. There was no way that he could ever figure out it was me. So I pushed this test on him. Instead of walking away, or toward, I changed my plans. Originially, I would have tried to run away without letting him see me. But I took advantage of my disguise, and his curiosity. 

Seeing as I didn't try to pounce and kill him, he pushed himself off the dirt ground. Every single movement I made, he flinched. For instance, I cocked my head as he stood, not really out of curiosity, I just wanted to see his reaction. He put up his hands defensively, as if that would make any difference. 

"Nice doggie-" Doggie?! What am I? Some lazy house pet?! I barked at him. Ok, maybe dog like characteristics were in me, but no kind of nickname like that was going to stick around. He jumped back, and raised his hands even higher. "Oh-n-no...ok, look a stick. See big stick?" It was more like a long branch but whatever, he picked it up and started waving it like a fool. "Fetch? Yeah? Fetch. Ok." 

Either the branch was too heavy for his noodle arm, or his aim . Regardless, rather than throwing it into a direction where I would run off and get distracted, which was probably his plan, it sort of landed on my head instead. I yelped out, bending my head down....and now my head was throbbing. 

"Oh, ." Screw this, I'm leaving. He threw things at my head. Done, Oh Sehun. In Hye is done.

I ran away with my tail in between my legs. All right, maybe I was more like a dog than I let on. As I left, I could hear him mumbling things to himself. "Great, Sehun. You just threw a stick at a wolf and wanted to play fetch. You're an idiot." 

Well, at least you know it. Oh, crap. My stuff. I couldn't risk the chance of Sehun finding my things. Secure or not, I didn't want to take my chances. I reluctantly went back, thinking that Sehun had already left. With my luck, he didn't. Instead of leaving, he shifted on his feet, pivoting from side to side with a finger pointed confusedly in random directions. Basically...he looked lost. 

One final spin got me in his line of sight, only he didn't fall over like I wanted. Well, ok, that's kind of mean. He jumped a little, and then raised his eyebrow at the fact that I came back. Now was the question of my morality, and if I should help him or not. I've never been lost before, I don't really know what that feels like. Assuming that it was terrifying, I probably wouldn't want to go through that. Oh Sehun shouldn't either, I should be nice to him. 

"I'm sorry for hitting you in the head..." I cocked my head. Was he stupid or something? "Stupid Sehun. He can't understand you." He mumbled again. He really needs to learn to think before he speaks. Also I'm not a he, but that's fine for now...

I hoped down to the level that he was and got closer to him. He froze for a second, and the moment I trotted by him he flinched again. Geez, big baby, I'm helping you. I leaped up on a rock, then turned around and looked him in the eye. His scrunched up face softened as we had a little staring contest, quickly broken by me as I started to move away. I disappeared quickly, not going too far so he could keep up.

"H-hey, wait!" He called after me. Attaboy. 

I hoped along the direct pathway and got closer and closer to our campus. Usually, I never got this close to civilization, but I guess keeping Oh Sehun alive seemed worth it to me. I'm not completely harmless, no matter how much I say I don't like a person. Helping him just seemed right.

The frantic footsteps behind me was a good indicator that he was able to keep up. Once I caught sight of the campus, I bolted behind a tree before he could see me. I peaked my head out to watch him, how he caught up with in a couple seconds, heavily panting and breaking a sweat. 

He looked straight and realized it was our campus, then whipped his head around looking for me. Sehun cleared his throat, and straighten his clothes, wiping the drops of sweat on his forest. 

"Tch, why does she even go in there in the first place?" He muttered, shoving his hands in his pockets and making his way like nothing happened. He was....looking for me. Me, Nam In Hye, the human part. I didn't mishear that. 

I wasn't expecting much the next day, so I decided to back to my typical routine. Part of that was going to my spot on campus, my tree. I settled myself down and leaned against the trunk, digging out a snack in the process. You could say I'm fairly picky about the things that I eat, and since meat isn't exactly a suitable snack, I stuck to an apple. The human side of me could handle it. 

Halfway through my snack I sort of lost myself in peacefulness again. If I hadn't, I would have heard his marching steps. 

"Do you know there are bears and wolves in that forest?!" This voice screamed in my ear.

My apple decided to go down my throat before I finished chewing it, no big deal. Chunks blew out of my mouth, which is completely disgusting when your experiencing it. I gasped for air, violently coughing in the process. Oh Sehun was standing above me with crossed arms. He had this demeanor about him that reminded me of a dad scolding his child in time out. 

"What does that have to do with me?" I was able to say after regaining my breath. 

He eyes slightly widened. Suddenly he was avoiding looking at me, and instead of crossing his arms, he unfolded them and dropped them to his sides. I noticed, for once he wasn' wearing that disgusting cologne. His smell was different, it was fresh, clean.

"N-noth-nothing!" He ran off. He ran off. What the hell was that?