Accidents

Wolf Princess

It’s a funny thing really, the difference between humans and…well not humans. How peace and harmony have been questioned since the very first day of existence. But I guess that is the ironic thing too. We’ve been trying to live peacefully, and humans can’t even do that among themselves. Asking for peace between the same kind…it shouldn’t be asking for much right?

I tried to spend as much time as I could away from home. Immediately after my classes were over for the day, I would go straight to the forest. I had my usual options: taking pictures, doing homework, or one of my favorites: running. But I chose the first, like I normally do.

I try not to take pictures of the same thing. But in times like these its really hard not to. Sure, there are a million places in the forest to take pictures, and tons of areas where I could go. But there was always one special place I would go during this time of year.

It was the beginning of Spring. That meant no more dead looking trees, green would finally be showing. There were early signs of the flowers growing, bringing my hopes up even more that my favorite spot was the same way.

I called it a nook in the forest, my own little area. I was particularly gravitated towards big trees, and this part had one giant tree. The forest encircled a patch of bluebells, with a single tree in the center. The light purple flowers had already started to peak out. My lips curled up at the sight.

I decided to let loose, knowing that no one was going to find me out here. I tugged on the hair tie holding my hair in its usual bun and let my auburn locks cascade down my middle back.

I tugged my black combat boots off and left them to the side along with my bookbag, leaving me alone with my camera. Taking my first step forward, I relished in the feeling of dirt touching my feet.

I’d like to believe there is still a little bit of love left in my brother; otherwise I wouldn’t have a curfew. Woohyun doesn’t like it when I stay out past dark, or anywhere near close to nighttime. He had to adjust his curfew when I entered college when I practically begged him to let me take a night class.

Today I messed up. I don’t normally lose track of time, but before I knew it, the colors of the sky had changed from a nice rich blue to orange in a flash. I started panicking once I heard the familiar howling in the distance.

Dusk was escaping me, and I was in such a rush that I had grabbed everything expect my shoes. So I ran through the forest completely barefoot. I thought I made it just in time as I started running up the stairs of our house.

I stood at the front door, composing myself by swallowing back my breath. I dug for my keys and unlocked the door as quietly as I could, but apparently not quiet enough. Nothing escapes their ears.

Myungsoo was already cooking in the kitchen when I walked through the door. His head whipped in my direction and mouthed that I was late, a little peeved that I was. I mouthed back that I was sorry, at the same time scouring the first level.

Woohyun wasn’t on the first level, so I made my way to the stairs. Unfortunately that was my mistake, as he was waiting at the top of the stairs. “You’re late,” he menaced, descending slowly.

I froze in my spot, awaiting impending punishment from my older brother. It was the first time I had been somewhat late in months, but all he did was brush past my shoulder, knocking my bookbag off my shoulder in the process.

“Don’t let it happen again.” He warned me, sitting down at the dining room table.

I nodded, but I don’t think he saw it, and I ran up the stairs straight to my room and shut the door. I sat down at my desk, pulling out my laptop to upload the pictures that I took. It was a mundane task really, transferring one media to the next, but it was as routine as brushing my teeth.

After about an hour of filing through all of the pictures, there was a soft knock on my door. Myungsoo quietly came in with a plate in his hand. This was the relationship between my cousin and me.

I wouldn’t say that Myungsoo hated me. But I could say that he was more loyal to Woohyun than he was to me. When we were alone though, at least he was half decent. I mean hey, he was the one who introduced me to photography. I have him to thank for that.

I set the plate of the dinner he made on my desk, since I wasn’t allowed to eat at the table with them, and observed my work from behind me. It always made me nervous when he stared at the pictures I took. He’d never say anything, just stare for a good minute, and then walk out. Just another boring day at our home.

My Wednesdays were the longest, since I had a chemistry lab smack dab in the middle of the day. Chemistry was probably my least favorite class, and having a three-hour lab every week didn’t improve my opinion about the subject.

One reason for me not liking the class was the basic fact that chemistry in my opinion was the hardest and most useless class I have ever taken. Also it was my lowest grade, but I didn’t really take that into account too much.

The second was a bit more childish than the first. I hated the people in my class. Particularly two people.

About a week had passed since my final project was announced. The one I had to work on with Oh Sehun. He hasn’t made any effort to try to do the project besides telling me to do it on my own. Which was the complete opposite of what the point of the project was.

This was another instance as to why I hated group anything. Lab partners. Let’s just say mine wasn’t the smartest cookie. Also clear in her dating choices. Yes, I am talking about Oh Sehun’s girlfriend: Kwon Sera. Both of them were in my class…

She’s been my lab partner for the entire semester, and what was bad about it was that she was really nice. As much as I didn’t like Oh Sehun, I couldn’t really understand why someone like her was dating him. But she was also…kind of a ditz.

Even though chemistry wasn’t my best subject, I was still in charge of doing all of the labs. This particular day, she tried to convince me to let her be in charge of handing me the chemicals. Which I guess that wasn’t a completely bad idea, if she was just handing them to me.

I couldn’t say exactly what we were doing with this experiment. All I was doing was following instructions, and telling her what to give me. After a long hour of instructions from the professor, we began our experiment.

So far the experiment was going as planned. The beaker was set over the fire, and one by one the ingredients went in. Usually in labs, we were encouraged to where long sleeves, just in case an accident were to occur. I trusted myself not to let that happen, and today I wore a t-shirt. That was my first mistake.

My second mistake was trusting Sera to give me the right ingredients. I read the next one for her to give me and was handed a beaker with white powder in it.

“Wait, that’s wrong!” Sera screeched, her voice so loud that it made me jump and drop the beaker and all its content inside. She ducked down so fast I could barely see her, while on the other hand I just raised my hands to protect my face.

The beaker over the fire exploded, glass shards and chemicals flying everywhere. My arms protected my face…but nothing protected my arms.

The entire class went silent, after the quick explosion they were all staring. The professor came running over to us, but another student ran over just as quick.

“Are you ok?! What happened?!” Sehun pulled up his girlfriend from the ground and shook her out of her dazed shock. He turned to me, anger reflected on his face. “What did you do?!”

Technically, I didn’t do anything and he was getting angry at me. I shift my right arm so that it was behind me and out of his sight.

“It was the wrong ingredient.” Sera answered, making it look like I was the one to blame. She may have been nice, but that didn’t mean I still didn’t like her honesty. She had a way that made it seem like nothing was ever her fault.

Sehun scoffed at me, “Oh, of course it was the wrong ingredient. God, you are as stupid as you are-“

“Oh Sehun, enough!” Professor Song reprimanded. “In Hye…let me see your arm.”

I was hesitant at first. It honestly scared me; I was hoping it hadn’t healed yet. I saw Sehun giving me a weird look, probably because he was stupid and didn’t know anything. I held out my arm to the professor as she looked in shock. Thank God it didn’t heal. I probably would have been in more trouble if the wound had already healed, but I was suppressing everything to prevent that from happening.

A few of my classmates gasped when they saw the blood dripping from my arm, including the two in front of me. Glass shards clearly stuck out of my skin, mixed with blood and swelling flesh from the chemicals. I heard whispers of some of the other students.

Oh my God, there’s so much blood.

Why isn’t she screaming?

Isn’t she in pain?

She’s a freak!

The professor tugged me in panic to the sink and ran my arm under cold water to suppress the burn, which stung like hell. I hung my head down and bit on my cheek.

“Call the school nurse, now!” Professor Song demanded. She turned to me and kept her voice low. “Whatever you do, don’t let it heal.” I nodded.


So...this was supposed to be up yesterday and the entire thing got deleted!! TT_TT Hopefully this will somewhat cheer you up in all of this drama going on.