Contact

Wolf Princess

I started the morning the same way that I spent any other day. In the forest, taking pictures. It was all the same, or so I had wished. This was my forest, my domain; no other person was brave enough to go as far in as I did. That meant I got the best, I got to see the best. Anything was better than being at home, at least.

In the distance, I heard a faint howling, my signal to head back. We live in a small town in the middle of nowhere that no one really cares about. People just think we’re that one town that is surrounded by trees, which…I guess isn’t wrong.

I was always really good about timing myself to get to class on time. Tuesdays were my easier days, not having class until 11. It also meant I could avoid as many people as I could until that particular time. In this small town in the middle of nowhere, let’s just say it’s so small that we all know where everyone lives.

Growing up in this town, that’s just something you get accustomed to. And it’s kind of creepy. Especially in a college setting, knowing everyone and their mothers can get a little old. I’m not one for caring about other people’s business, but somehow it always becomes mine and everyone else’s. Somehow that relates to bullying…though I haven’t quite figured out that part yet.

Most people figure that when you get to college, people grow up and out of that superior/inferior phase that comes with high school. Not in our small town. Maturity is hard to grow into around here, putting it nicely at least. Once I reached the edge of the forest, I packed my camera away and brushed off my dirty jeans.

My first class of the day was an Interpersonal Communications class. I major in Communications, with an emphasis in Cinema Arts. In simple words, I want to be photographer, and I’m probably the only person in our entire college that does. There were plenty of Communication majors at our college, but most wanted to be public relations. I, on the other hand, was the odd one out. People made sure to let me know that every day.

We were halfway through third year of college. That meant only a year and a half left with stuck with these people and then I might never have to see them again. But that was fairly wishful thinking on my part. There's no way I could get Woohyun and Myungsoo to leave.

I made my way past people in the hallway and walked briskly up the stairs. Professor Lee said he would be giving us our final project for the year today. I was excited, unlike most of our class. This Professor was known to be really creative with all of his big assignments.

The class was filled with about 35 people, which was big in comparison to some other classes. I always sat somewhat in the back, not the back corner like a loner, but close enough. My spot was near the window, facing the forest I had just come from. The best seat in my opinion. Getting there, on the other hand was an obstacle in itself. 

I kept my head down, hoping that people wouldn't notice me slipping into class. Unfortunately, they had. I felt eyes on me as I walked to my seat. Their attempts to trip me failed, since my eyes were already glued to the floor. One of them with long legs tried sticking his foot out, but I just stopped and stared at it.

He clicked his tongue with annoyance as I walked around it, keeping a neutral face. He turned to his friend and snickered. His acted like he was whispering, but I know the rest of the class heard it. "Look, it's Heuk." The rest of the class giggled to themselves, while I finally found my seat by the window.

Heuk. Dirt girl, in other words. I've had that name since middle school, because I came to school on time with dirty on my pants. I lost track of time in the forest and tripped while trying to run back. They haven't let me live that down since then. The perpetrator...well I won't mention his name just yet.

I was silently praying to myself that our professor would show up on time and get the class over with, just so I didn't have to deal with these people. I just focused on taking pictures, and going back to the forest after my class was over. That's all I cared about anymore.

The professor finally walked in. He was one of the few that verbally took attendence instead of passing around a sign in sheet. That was the only thing I hated about Professor Lee. He made me hear my name every week.

"Ok, let's get started. Jung Mina? Kim Jongin?..."

He went down the list through our whole class, peering up every time he called a name. I'm pretty sure that he knew every single one of our names, doing the attendence for the principle of the matter. "Nam In Hye?" I raised my hand, ignoring the sly cough of my awful nickname. 

"Oh Sehun?" I caught the raise of a hand in the corner of my eye. I rolled my eyes, and turned to the window. The professors voice was clear in my heads.

"Today's class is going to be a little short. As I mentioned before, I will be telling you about your final project in this class." He went on to threaten that we have to do well on this project, as it acts as our final exam. 

"Oh, and one last thing before I tell you what the project is. It's a group project."

My heart sunk, as I'm sure the rest of our class. Group projects are the worst thing ever to be invented. Not only does it mean working with another person, it means your grade relies on them as well. Not that I cared about the second one, but virtually no one wants to be my partner. I would probably hate whoever I ended up with. 

"For this project, you are assigned one partner. You all already know that Interpersonal Communications is based on a small setting, and now I expect you to act on it. Learn everything you can about your partner. Not just what they like, but their habits. What makes them peeved. What hurts them. Think of it as an experiment to learn more about your peers. You will need to have a full report and an oral presentation in one month." 

Great. Our professor expects us to spend a good amount of time with this person we are partners with. Sometimes I really hated being a Communications major...and just wished I wasn't. 

"All right, listen for your name and your partner."

As he went down the list of names, I started mapping out who was left in the room. There were certain people that I did not want to end up with, even though I'm pretty sure I didn't like anyone in my class. There was only one I couldn't stand-

"Oh Sehun and Nam In Hye." The list ended there. Damn it.

Some of the boys sitting next to Oh Sehun snickered, laughing at him. ", dude." They whispered. 

I don't even know why Oh Sehun was in my class to begin with. For all I know, he was still undeclared, even though we were practically done with college. How do I know that? It's impossible not to here things around here.

I didn't dare look at him. I knew he wouldn't look at me either. I'm not sure exactly what translates accidentally spilling juice on shoes after someone bumped into you constitutes hate, but Oh Sehun hated me. He and his friends made that incredibly clear.

We were supposed to use this time to introduce ourselves to our partners. In an alternate universe were this small town miraculously had all been strangers, I suppose one of us would have moved. But knowing Oh Sehun enough, he wouldn't. Therefore, neither would I.

This time was meant for that. If we introduced ourselves, then we could leave class and have the rest of the time off. That definitely wouldn't have been the case, considering he wouldn't have the audacity to approach me first. I've never even touched the guy, and he's still in a huff.

I saw people starting to get up and leave, so I followed suit. Not needing to pack up my stuff, I slung my bookbag over my shoulder and grabbed my camera case. I knew there were eyes following me, but it's not like I cared in the slightest. 

His friends continued to talk about me while I was leaving the room. My perfect hearing caught everything.

"God, who'd want to be partners with her?"

"She's so ugly, Sehun."

"Pfft, I bet her druggie brother probably hates her too."

The comments got worse as I walked farther away, and I tried my hardest not to listen, or to let them get to me. The last one was true. Not about him being a druggie, but my brother did hate me. I'm pretty sure of that. 

I looked down at my wrist, noting how much time I had before my next class. The class only lasted 25 minutes of the hour it was supposed to, and my next class was an hour after that. Probably not enough time to go back to the forest, so I opted for a different place. 

There was a big oak tree on campus that had been claimed mine since freshman year. By claimed I mean I sat there once and people steered clear of it, just in case I did again. They didn't want to be near me. Didn't matter too much to me, I liked having a tree all to myself.

I dropped my bookbag on the grass and carefully sat down with my camera in hand. I pulled out my camera and put in a random memory card. I had about 7 cameras, probably thousands of pictures on each one. This one in particular was all animals. 

I flipped through each picture carefully, content and not content at the same time. A slight breeze filled the air, and for a second I set my camera in my lap and leaned my head back, so that it rest against the bark of the tree. 

My nose took in every scent, the good, the bad. Being outside always made me more aware. I took a deep breath through my nose, letting the air fill my lungs. Time stood still when I was able to be like this. 

My peace would be satisfied as the wind grazed against my skin. For just a moment, I could ignore how screwed up my life was and keep to myself.

"Yah, Heuk."

A thick voice that somehow I knew so well grabbed my peace right out of the air and smashed it down into a million parts. I didn't have to open my eyes to know the strong cologne that he wore, or that there were select people that called me that. Internally I was rolling my eyes, but I wouldn't make that kind of effort for the likes of him.

"Is there something you need, Oh Sehun?" I peaked on eye open to look up at him. His arms were crossed, and it looks like he was tapping his foot. His trait stoic face was plastered so gracefully as he looked down at me from his height. 

I hated the smell of his cologne, but it wasn't like he was going to listen to someone like me to change it. His girlfriend probably bought it for him or something. Considering it was on her a majority of the time as well.

"I expect you to do a full report and get it done so that I have an A in that dumb class." He kept his eyes focused on anything else but me, keeping his demand short. 

I snorted, just like a lady..."You're 21 years old. Figure it out for yourself, big boy." I put my camera back into my bag carefully and got ready to leave. But it seemed like Oh Sehun had different plans. 

As I left, he grabbed the strap of my bookbag and tried pulling me back. But I wasn't as weak as I looked. I was also smarter than they made me out to be. I tugged downward on the strap, causing a friction on his hand that made him let go. I would have turned around to see the bewilderment on his face, or the fabric burn marks on his hand. He wasn't worth it.

I took another step, and he resorted to a firm hand on my shoulder instead. "Can you stop? Do the report, otherwise you'll fail us both."

"I'd rather not." And I shrugged him off of my shoulder, stomping away. Spoken words were not a thing between Nam In Hye and Oh Sehun. That was probably the first time he had come in contact with me out of his own. 

The touch alone was able to send shivers down my spine. Instinct kicked in instead of rationalilty. Myungsoo always tried teaching me what it was going to be like when I would know. But there was no way in hell that he could have been right about that. 

Warmness was filling inside of me, but I tried to shake it off as I walked away. He was probably still there, and probably didn't feel even remotely the same feeling that I had.

But then again...he was human. I was not.

 

 

 


Hope you enjoyed the first chapter!