Smile

Wolf Princess

The last thing I would have ever expected was to be frequently seeing Sehun in the forest. It would be silly of me to think this, but I thought it anyway. It was like he knew when I decided to turn into my other form; there wasn’t a day that he’d come to the forest without seeing ‘snow.’

In my mind, I didn’t want to see the man who called me stupid, let alone a child. But being able to look at him now put me into a different perspective entirely. Just the fact alone that I was able to look at him like this changed my mind. It didn’t exactly feel like I was able to read his mind, but I felt his emotions.

Usually, Sehun felt like a brat, and that’s not even me being bitter. There was this arrogance I felt, as if he felt like his whole life was under his control. But now, he was vulnerable.

He still looked like the same Sehun, always so casual. Then again, a girl like me would be a fool to think a man in a batman muscle tee wasn’t attractive. His hair still had vibrant color in it, just a tad faded from the last time we spoke. But his outer appearance was deceiving.

He felt different, from the frown on his face to how hard his heart was pounding. The ragged breathing was frustrated; every movement against the ground seemed painful. That look on Sehun’s face after I left was still engrained into my head. He regretted the things that he said. And part of me was dying because he felt this way.

It must have been the mate type bond that we shared, because seeing Sehun distraught didn’t make me feel good. My feet moved on their own, but my body was fully in control. His long legs were sticking out, he must like leaning against big trees. I wonder if that’s how I look.

Since his eyes were still closed, he didn’t hear me quietly approaching him. Sometimes I really loved the things I could get away with while I was a wolf, because intimate wasn’t exactly my forte, at all. But I felt like it, so I made myself comfortable next to him, resting my head on top of his leg. His leg tensed, gasping.

“Snow, don’t do that. I don’t want a heart attack.” I felt his hand reach for the exact spot that he knew I liked. Funny how he remembers that. “How do you know where to find me? You must be a smart wolf.”

His low voice was barely audibly; probably covering up whatever emotions he was feeling. Again, he wants comfort. Yet here he is, instead of being with Sera. The girlfriend he loved. 

His hand was running through the fur on my neck, gently massaging it. I honestly could have fallen asleep from something so peacefully soothing, but I would miss out on all the things he said to me. I wondered what today would be about.

“Aren’t wolves supposed to be in packs?” He asked, fully aware I couldn’t answer back, as always. They are, I mean, well, we are supposed to be in packs. “Why are you alone?” He mumbled, continuing the heavenly scratching atop my head.

I wish I could tell him. But obviously I couldn’t. I just let him keep talking, which I figured he was going to do anyways. “I don’t know why. I always feel better when you are here. Maybe I’m just crazy.”

I huffed out a big breath. It’s because fate thinks we’re supposed to be together. It’s supposed to feel that way, and it’s becoming dangerous that he’s starting to think that way. But then again, if we were separated that would be worse.

“I wonder if she would like you?”

She? He’s probably talking about Sera. And no, because I would probably try to bite her hand off if she came near me. I went to Sehun thinking I could comfort him, but he really is thinking about his girlfriend instead.  Just perfect.

I heard him shuffling through his backpack to take out a bag of apple slices. My head perked up on instinct, just because apples were my favorite. I poked my nose at the bag, practically telling him to give me one. “What? You like apples?”

He set the bag in his lap and took out a slice, holding it out for me. His hand flinched back when I bit out, scared of my teeth. I got up and turned around, waiting for him to give me another one.

That time, he put it on his pant leg instead. He was still afraid of me. It was natural to though, a wolf with teeth should be something to be feared. But I wish he wouldn’t fear me. That at least there was some sort of relationship between us, even while I was like this.

I felt bad. I might have eaten a majority of his apple on my own. He wasn’t eating it anyway, he gave most of it to me. But it was getting dark, and I had to leave again. When I stood and shook off the dirty, it was like I could see disappointment it Sehun’s face. I took off with a running start, choosing to look back at him.

I was surprised. I heard what he mumbled to himself. “Apples. Never would have guessed.” And I saw something that I didn’t expect. He was smiling to himself. It wasn’t a big smile, nothing extraordinary. Seeing him smile made me want to stare at him longer. That harsh exterior that he always wears faded away, a smile of serenity.

The image of him carried its way into my thoughts through the next day, as the roles were switched. I had a break in my day and started walking to my tree, when my ears picked up a conversation; one that I wanted to hear.

“So how long does he have to keep his hair like that?” I recognized that voice pretty well. It sounded like Kim Jongin. I spotted them walking on the other side of campus, Jongin and one of their other senior friends, Taemin. I don’t really have a place for Taemin on the scale of bully, just because he tends to be quieter than Sehun’s other friends. I think he liked hanging out with older friends, but Taemin and Jongin were always like brothers.

“Until it washes out.” Taemin was so cocky in his tone, I wondered who they were talking about, but it was pretty easy to assume they were talking about Sehun’s bet.

“You should have told me about the bet, man! I could’ve won.”

“Blame Baek, dude. He’s the one who said Sehun wouldn’t have been able to ask her to give him lessons.” Taemin patted Jongin on the back as the latter pouted.

I was right after all. Sehun really bet that he could ask me something? Was it really that hard for him to do? Jongin was the one who asked for the favor, not Sehun. He was that much of a coward, that he couldn't even talk to me first. Well, he deserved the embarrassment if that were the case. 

“Watch it, Heuk.” I was so focused on listening to the two talking about Sehun that I accidentally ran into someone. Well, more like a group of girls and one boy who weren't very pleased to see me.

The girls, minus Sehun and Sera, all snickered with superiority as they roughly pushed me aside. Instead of resisting, I let them push me out of the way, ready to just ignore them like I always do. 

I didn't know any of their names, other than the couple. They all knew me, just as heuk. "Tch, what a waste of space." 

Words from strangers who don't know me as a person shouldn't have effected me as much as they did. Then again, they didn't know me, and yet I'm a waste of space to them. 

I turned back around to see a wide smile on Sehun's face, different from the smile I saw on him yesterday. This was filled with a happiness that I didn't know how to explain. Personally, I didn't know how to explain it, but I was able to tell. It was love. Not the same as the one he gave me...well, again, to 'snow.' But I just kept walking, as if it didn't matter at all.

I didn't want to appear childish to Sehun any more than I needed to. If I didn't show up today when we were supposed to meet, that would have made me a brat. And I didn't want him to owe me anything. He noticed the drink I got the first time, I noticed he didn't change his drink the two times we met at the bubble tea shop.

I arrived early and set the drinks out on the table, a silent deal between us I guess. I was shocked the moment I opened up the essay that should have been barely written. There were 3 pages written already, all done by him. 

He did everything I told him not to. Talking about romantic connections, soul mates, fate brings two people together in love. If he were actually here seeing me read this I would have been outwardly disgusted. But as I was reading, I wanted to believe the things that he said. 

I wanted to have the same thoughts as him, that there were such things as soul mates. That fate brought people together because they were supposed to love each other. That would have been nice, to have someone to give love. 

Considering that he did all this work, it didn't feel right to delete it. He came around 15 minutes later, seeing that I was already typing. I wasn't backing up his points, just adding research that could show it was true. Plus, fixing his grammatical mistakes, which there were a lot of. 

He took his drink without saying anything, and worked on his own, adding to the end while I was editing it. It seemed like more work got done if we just didn't speak to each other, seeing as arguments usually come out of the words exchanged between us. 

I continued to type, but Sehun had stopped for a moment, tearing his eyes away from the screen to stare at me. The fact that his heartbeat which was already so loud, was beginning to beat faster. I stopped typing and stared right back at him. 

“Why are you staring at me?” I spoke, noting that his never changing face had been not so subtly staring at me this whole time. 

“I’ve…never seen you smile.” He said, a little quieter than his normal voice. A slight tint of pink flushed his face. Oh Sehun was blushing. Too bad I was going to ruin that. 

“I don’t have a lot of things to smile about.” I broke the intense stare down and continued to type. 

What goes through his head that he asks me questions like that? I really couldn't tell. What's the point of smiling? There is none for a person in my situation. There were too many negatives in my life to be even remotely happy. My parents hatred towards me was taken to the grave. My brother still hates me. My mate and everyone in my university hates me. 

I wasn't able to drown in my own thoughts for long, as the scent of Woohyun picked up in my nose. He was standing outside the shop, hands shoved in his pockets and staring me down. He dared to walk up the table I was sitting at, and now it was my heart that was racing. I had a feeling Sehun probably had never seen my brother since he tended to keep to himself. 

"What, Woohyun?" Woohyun never took any initiative when it came to me, and I was genuinely surprised that he was the one standing in front of me today. 

"Emergency. Get up." He spat. I felt all color from my face drain, a cold tingling shiver crawled down the back of my neck to my spine. Emergency actually meant something really bad. I frowned, and bit down on my lip. Every single time one of the pack members came, I would have rather stayed with Sehun. I wanted to stay today more than ever.

I packed all of my stuff lazily, pretty sick of having to do this over and over again. "Hurry up, In Hye!" He suddenly snapped, making even Sehun flinch. The last of my things were packed and as soon as I took a step forward, Woohyun pushed me faster, very roughly.

Touch was a foreign thing between me and my own brother, but he had never been so snappy about emergencies before. But one look at my brother, you can immediately tell: he's not a drug addict, and will never be. I hope Sehun was able to see that. 

 


 

Whaaaat? But it's only been two weeks! :O I got inspired, I have no idea where it came from.