Strawberry Shortcake

It's Raining

[160601. Updated]

 

You and Hyuk stood second at the waiting line by the counter. You constantly glanced back at the table where Hongbin and Taekwoon were. Hongbin was showing off the professional camera he just bought to Taekwoon who was listening intently as he sipped on his iced latte. They look really close now…

 

“Stop staring at them, you look like an idiot.” Your brother remarked as he poked continuously on your cheek. You asked what your brother’s problem was and he just shrugged, “Because you’re smiling like an idiot and it’s causing people to stare at us.”

 

You rolled your eyes, sarcastically laughed and looked at straight at the counter. Truthfully, you didn’t know that you were smiling until Hyuk mentioned it and you actually don’t care if people stare. You inserted your hands in your blazer’s pockets, “Oppa, it’s because a girl like me is hanging out with someone like you. They find it weird.”

 

Your brother scoffed, “Ya. It’s the other way around, you.”

 

The woman in front of you finished ordering and moved aside; the barista tiringly called for the next customer. Hyuk motioned first and you followed. The barista’s sour face instantly switched when she saw your brother’s face.

A charm Hyuk and Hongbin have with people, especially with girls—they make them fall in love with them that easily. I wonder if Taekwoon-oppa has that charm too… You looked back at Taekwoon and smiled seeing him talking with Hongbin about something. As if he had known you were looking, Taekwoon’s gaze turned to you and let out a subtle smile.

 

“Hi! May I take your order?” the high pitched voice of the barista caused you to turn around. Hyuk smiled and pointed at the menu that was hanging behind the barista.

 

“I’ll have a cup of hot chocolate,” he asked you what you wanted but as you scanned their menu you found nothing to your liking and told him that you’re having what he was having. Your brother pulled out his wallet, “Sorry make that two cups of hot chocolate.”

 

You sidestepped and saw the café’s display of various pastries. You saw one of your favorite cake and tugged your brother’s sleeve. He turned his attention to you, “What?” you didn’t need to speak and just pointed at the cake. Hyuk nodded and added it to his order. You smiled and hugged his arm tightly. Even if your brother teases you a lot he still spoils you when he can. People would often call him a sister pabo behind his back.

Hyuk handed the barista the exact money; the barista gave Hyuk the receipt and you two walked back to your table. Hyuk sat next to Hongbin leaving the only available chair next to Taekwoon. You sat next to him and the two of you looked at each other and smiled awkwardly. It was a good thing Hongbin called you or else it would be even weirder between you and Taekwoon. The moment you looked at Hongbin, you were startled as you saw him took a picture of you with his new found friend, the camera.

 

“Oppa, did you just—“Hongbin nodded and immediately checked the picture he just took. Hyuk leaned on Hongbin’s shoulder and stared at your stolen picture. He snickered and commented on how ugly you looked. You crossed your arms and leaned forward on the table, “Oppa. If I look ugly then it also means that you’re ugly. We’re siblings, remember?”

 

Hongbin nodded, agreeing to what you said. “You want to see the pic, hyung?” he asked receiving a nod from Taekwoon. Hongbin handed his camera to the Taekwoon. He carefully looked at you and handed the camera back to its owner.

 

“You look cute in it.” Taekwoon snatched his drink at the table again and sipped.

 

Hongbin then pointed his camera at your brother who began doing tacky poses causing all four of you to laugh. Well, Taekwoon smiled and that already counted as a laugh for him. Once your brother was done with his ‘Vogue’ photoshoot, Hongbin motioned his camera at Taekwoon who was silently drinking his iced latte. “Hyung, smile.” He said as he peeked through the camera hole but Taekwoon didn’t smile but stared intensely at the camera. You covered your mouth, preventing to let any sound of your laugh come out. You thought it was funny since Hongbin and Hyuk kept on saying things to Taekwoon who remained still.

 

“How about pouting your lips, Taek-hyung?” Hyuk suggested. “A grin? A y smirk? An ahjumma face? No? Okay. Just stare at the lens and kill them with your deadly gaze I guess.”

 

Hongbin chuckled. “Hyukkie, isn’t it obvious? Hyung is pulling the chic look.”

 

“The chicken look? That doesn’t look like chicken to me.” Hyuk leaned back on his chair, not understanding what Hongbin had said. Hongbin laughed at your brother’s innocence and you could only face palmed yourself. Again.

 

“Oppa. It’s CHIC look not CHICKEN look.” You corrected, smiling at him.

 

Minutes passed and the barista called your brother’s name. He rose from his seat and walked to the counter to get your orders. You glanced at Hongbin who was still checking the pictures he just took then to Taekwoon who was busy texting someone.

 

“Uhmmm…Taekwoon-oppa.” His eyes shifted from his phone to you. He looked at you straight in the eyes as he waited for you to speak .For some reasons you forgot why you called him in the first place. Taekwoon tilted his head on one side and waved his hand in front of your face. “you, need to tell me something?”

 

You nodded but you actually don’t know what to say and so you thought of something related to him that you could talk about. You look like a lion, do you know that? NO. NOT THAT. How’s the iced latte? Cold, huh? OMYGOD NOT THAT. Who are you texting? Your girlfriend—NOO NOT THAT!! Just then you have thought of something. “ABOUT YOUR SWEATER!” Your voice was a little higher than you expected. You cleared your throat, preparing to say another word this time with your normal voice. “I mean…about the sweater, your sweater. If I had known that you’ll be here I would have brought it but I didn’t, so—“

 

“Didn’t I say that you could do anything with it?” He said as he placed his arms on the table and rested his head on it.


“You did but I still feel wrong about having your sweater, oppa.” Taekwoon smiled shyly. A smile that he should have shown a while ago when Hongbin was taking a picture of him. A smile that only you were able to see from him or that’s what you think but the thought of it alone made you blush. “Why…are you smiling? Is something on my face?” You patted on your face, feeling if there was dirt on your face that caused him to smile at you like that.

 

He shook his head and remained his gaze at you. “Being called oppa…I’m still not quite used to it…it’s nice to hear it from you…” Taekwoon’s cheek turned pink and he must’ve felt it because he quickly hid his face on his resting arm. You instantly looked away and stared at the walking people outside the café. Think of something else, you. Don’t get flustered immediately!!

 

“Your strawberry shortcake and hot choco, miss piggy.” Hyuk came back and placed your cup of hot chocolate and cake in front of you. You thanked him and immediately drank the hot beverage in one big gulp.

You needed to calm down that’s why you drank the HOT chocolate.

You forgot that it was a HOT chocolate.

As soon as you felt the heat of the drink, you coughed. “OUCH. That was hot!” Drops of the hot chocolate spilled on the table, Dammit. That hurts.

 

“Dummy! You should have cooled it.” Hongbin moved his attention from his camera to you and patted your back. You coughed louder, tears were forming in your eyes. “…Sorry…”

 

With the current situation, Taekwoon sat upright and pulled out his handkerchief from his pocket and gave it to you. You thanked him in between coughs. You covered your mouth with his handkerchief as you coughed. Once you were back to normal, Hyuk and Hongbin could only stare at you at how dumb you acted. Taekwoon, on the other hand, got up from his seat and went somewhere. When he returned, Taekwoon was holding a small cup of water and offered it to you. “To make you feel better,” he said.

 

“Hyung, careful. She’ll be needing a gallon of water to recover.” Hyuk teased. You drank the water Taekwoon gave and formed your lips into a ducky lips, ready to spit at your own brother any time. It wasn’t really something you do, more likely a girl should do but you had it with your brother today.

 

“Fire away.” Hongbin scooted his chair away from Hyuk and grinned, waiting for what was about to happen. As you were about to do the most un-lady like action, someone had stopped you.

 

“Drink not spit, you.” Taekwoon pressed your puckered lips with his two fingers; you had no choice but to swallow the supposedly water-missile for your brother. Taekwoon nodded approvingly and petted your head gently. A gesture you find heart racing when he did it. What is this weird feeling?

 

But that moment was short lived when you witnessed Taekwoon forked a large portion of your cake. You scowled at him and pulled the cake out of his reach but once you did, the other two boys took a piece as well. The three in the end attacked your beautiful strawberry shortcake and you were left with only a third portion of the cake. You sighed, so much for my beautiful cake…huhuhu.

It wasn’t long when the four of you left the café and headed back home. Hyuk and Hongbin walked ahead while you and Taekwoon were a few meters behind them. Walking with Taekwoon made you feel small but then walking with your own brother made you feel like a hobbit or some kind of sort, so somehow the thought of walking with Taekwoon was more comforting. “Sorry about a while ago.” You embarrassingly played with your hands.

 

Taekwoon nodded, “It’s okay.”

 

“So how’s Hongbin and Hyuk so far?” You asked since you never know what he thinks of them and you were curious about it. Taekwoon let out a sigh and looked at the two who were completely immersed with their own world. “They’re okay.” He said. “We had lunch earlier…they’re really…friendly.” Just then his phone buzzed. He pulled it out from his pocket and mockingly grinned.

 

It must be his girlfriend. Why not, right? Taekwoon-oppa’s already old enough for things like that right????? Aigoo. What are you thinking, you? You walked ahead and didn’t notice that you were nearing the busy street. You had your head down and still compromising those weird thoughts of yours when someone suddenly pulled you back. You stumbled backwards and fell on someone’s front.

 

“Careful!” Taekwoon helped you gain your balance; his eyes looked worried as if something might have happened bad to you. “Where were you looking? Didn’t you see the lights turned green?”

 

“Huh?” You looked back and realized that you were about to walk through a street with fast cars passing by. If he hadn’t pulled you back, you would be a car sandwich right now. You muttered a thanks and sorry as you stood next to him awkwardly. Taekwoon said that you didn’t need to apologize and that you should just keep an eye on your surroundings.

 

“Sanghyuk and Hongbin’s waiting for us.” He pointed at the other side of the street where Hongbin and Hyuk were. He glanced at you and noticed that you were sulking. It made him feel bad; he didn’t want to raise his voice at you but it scared him when he saw you walking and completely ignoring the incoming sedan. He thought of something to cheer you up, he didn’t want to see you frown like when he first saw you in the park all alone.

He reached for your hand and led you away from the street and back to the cafe. “Eh? Where are we going, oppa?”

 

“I forgot something in the café.” Taekwoon said. Once the two of you reached the café, you two walked to the counter. It was the same barista who took your order a while ago. Her eyes widened when she saw you with Taekwoon. She must have been thinking that you must be one lucky girl to have handsome people hanging out with you…which you are.

 

“I’ll have the whole cake, please.” Taekwoon pointed the same cake you had earlier and handed the barista his card immediately. The barista nodded as she swiped his card and returned it to him. You looked oddly at Taekwoon and asked, “I thought you forgot something? Why are you buying a cake?”

 

“I did forget something.” Taekwoon placed the card back on his wallet, “This cake.”

 

You nodded and remained silent. It must be for her girlfriend. The barista placed the cake on a box and handed it to Taekwoon. He thanked the girl and gave it to you. “You want me to hold it? Okay.”

 

Taekwoon smiled, shaking his head. “It’s for you.” he balanced the box with one hand as his free hand reached for your hand and lifted it so you get to carry the box. Taekwoon crouched down so your eyes would meet and touched the tip of your nose. “So you won’t frown like a while ago.”

 

You turned around, shy that he would see your cheeks turn redder. You marched towards the door and turned to him. “Thank…you…” Taekwoon walked out with you and headed back. When you came back on the busy street, the stoplights had just turned red and the walk lights green. You and Taekwoon walked along with the commuters and reached the other side of the street.

 

“YA! Where did you take my sister!??!?!” Hyuk demanded with Hongbin standing next to him ignoring your brother. He must have heard Hyuk’s constant wailings about you and now he was just too tired to hear any more of it. Hongbin sighed, thanking that the two of you came back.

 

“Sorry.” You shyly said. “I left something at the café and we had to get it back.”

 

Hongbin noticed the box of cake you were holding and grinned. “A cake?” you answered with a nod and an embarrassed laugh. He glanced at Taekwoon and saw him looking away; Hongbin knew clearly that he bought it for you but he chose to stay quiet. Hyuk embraced you and held your hand tightly. “Big brother is not going to let you out of his sight anymore.”

 

“Yeah, yeah.” You said in a mono tone. You glanced at Taekwoon who was now walking with Hongbin behind you. You turned back your attention to your brother who was constantly telling you he’d never leave you no more.

 

Behind you, Hongbin and Taekwoon walked silently until Hongbin spoke. “Please don’t get her hopes up. It’ll end badly.”

 

Taekwoon stared at Hongbin who had his eyes on you. Hongbin faced him and smiled bitterly. “I just don’t want to see her get hurt.”

 

“Don’t worry. I have no intention.”