Promises

It's Raining

[160602. Updated]

 

You watched Hongbin hang the newly printed pictures on the clothesline that ran around his (or more likely yours and his) secret place. You stood next to him busily and carefully choosing what photo to put up next. A picture of you smiling widely with the beach as your background on his left hand and a picture of you and Hongbin slapping Sanghyuk’s sunburnt back on his right. You giggled, receiving a confused look from Hongbin.

 

“Thinking of something funny, I guess?” You nodded and smiled cheekily. Hongbin paused on decorating the place and focused on you. He knew you were thinking something either stupid or brilliant. “Tell me what do you want? If it’s food make Hyuk buy it for you.”

 

“Can I keep this? For blackmailing purposes.” You said and pointed at Hyuk’s humiliating picture. Hongbin laughed after figuring out what exactly you were talking about. He handed it to you and went back to hanging other photos. You put the photo inside your wallet and thanked him. Hongbin said it wasn’t any big deal with his ever signature dimples smile and returned to the photos in hand.

 

It’s been two days since you returned from the calm and peaceful beach to the busy urban city life. To be honest you kind of missed the beach even though you got tan and a sunburnt. What happened during the previous week was fun; you got to spend time with your family, have these weird and awesome situations with Hongbin and Hyuk but what stood out the most during that week was the talk with Hongbin.

You unexpectedly told him your deepest secret: you having this weird feelings for Taekwoon. In which Hongbin had concluded that those weird feelings was actually the result of liking Taekwoon. He also spilled some of his secrets which was liking a girl. You didn’t force the girl’s name out since he promised to tell you someday and you chose to just trust him and wait for that time to come. You admit, the girl on Hongbin’s every thought made you cringe and excited. Hongbin-oppa and that girl. I bet she’s pretty and nice. Hongbin-oppa needs to be with someone who is nice. Oh. Speaking of Hongbin-oppa…

 

“Oppa.” You called his attention. He finished hanging the pictures and turned to you. “Shouldn’t you be with your parents right now? I mean you have your flight for tonight, right?”

 

“Yeah.” Hongbin clapped his hands and checked the time on his wristwatch. “Well…I guess we better go back now. Mom and Dad probably finished packing. I had mine done last night.”

 

You and Hongbin exited the secret place and came out of the small alley. The two of you walked alongside the street heading back to your houses. Hongbin rested his arm on your shoulder which you don’t mind at all. You and Hongbin were comfortable with each other so it was no big of a deal. By the time the two of you arrived at your street, you saw two tall boy walking out of your house. A smile crept up to your face and shouted their names. “Hyuk-oppa! Taekwoon-oppa!”

 

They glanced your way. Your brother shouted your name and took two steps ahead, waving his hand widely in the air. Meanwhile, Taekwoon stood silently behind Hyuk and just waited for you and Hongbin to approach.

 

“Hey guys, what are you two doing here?” Hongbin asked. The two of you cut the distance between Hyuk and Taekwoon. Taekwoon pointed at Hongbin and smiled a bit. “We’re here to see you off.”

 

Hongbin chuckled and thanked Taekwoon for being there. You glanced at your brother and saw him staring at you. You asked why but he didn’t answer your question instead he asked a question. “Where were you two? Taek-hyung and I busied ourselves with a video game while you guys were out. We’ve been waiting for so long, you know!”

 

you was craving for some red bean ice cream.” Hongbin lied, smiling casually like you two had just eaten the said food. You nodded and apologized for keeping Hongbin away even though you knew that this was his last day before leaving. Hyuk bickered at Hongbin for not bringing him and Taekwoon with you two. While they bickered along the way to Hongbin’s house, you and Taekwoon walked behind the two loud boys. You sighed shaking your head at them, They’ll never change.

 

“I see you got yourself a tan.” You turned to Taekwoon and saw him looking at you. You nodded shyly, rubbing the nape of your neck. He smiled, “It looks good on you.”

 

“Uh…thanks.”

 

“So how was the beach?” He asked. Excited, you told him the highlights of that week. Today was the first time seeing Taekwoon after returning from the beach and you were really excited to share stories with him. Taekwoon listened intently, asking from time to time and telling you that he was glad that you enjoyed your stay there.

 

“Oh, by the way I have something for you Oppa.” You and Taekwoon walked in Hongbin’s house. “I’ll give it to you later.”

 

“What is it?” he asked, the two of you motioned to the living room where Hongbin and Hyuk were. You ran your fingers on your lips, gesturing a zipped mouth. Taekwoon chuckled, shaking his head and gave up on asking what it was. The two of you entered the living room and saw Hongbin’s mother ordering your brother and her son to hurry and carry the luggage. His mother saw you and Taekwoon and also asked for you two to carry the left luggage to the car outside. Without any words, you and Taekwoon did what was asked.

You and Taekwoon walked outside and handed the rest of the luggage to Hongbin and Hyuk. Before you could come back to get the rest, Hongbin grabbed your arm and pulled you away from the boys. He raised his finger on top of his hand, gesturing for you to keep quiet. Hongbin pulled out a key from his pocket and grinned. “Here you go.”

 

“What’s this for?” Your rather dumb question took Hongbin off guard. He smiled, loving how you looked at the moment.

 

"Isn't it obvious??"

 

"Should it be obvious?"

 

He chuckled and told you that it was for the secret place so you could come there even if he was away. You pulled him into an embrace and thanked him. You didn't ask for it but Hongbin did it anyway and you were grateful for it. “Thank you Thank you, oppa.”

 

“Don’t mention it. I mean it literally.” He said, patting your back. You laughed and told him that you won’t mention a soul. The two of you then went back with the others. Once everything was in the car, your dad and Hyuk volunteered to drive the Lees to the airport. You actually wanted to come but Hongbin was against it. He said that you were to do something else and not see him off. Hongbin-oppa, what are you talking about?? I always go with you guys... Before you could even argue, he called Taekwoon.

 

“HYUNG!” Hongbin pushed you to Taekwoon’s direction. You stumbled in front of Taekwoon who caught you just in time. “you has nothing to do but she’s too shy to tell you something.”

 

“Tell me what?” Taekwoon glanced at him before laying his eyes on you.

 

“I—“ I actually want to go with you guys… you thought.

 

“She’d like to hang out with you since she’ll be all alone in the house and have nothing to do.” Hongbin smirked, “is that okay with you, Taekwoon-hyung?”

 

WHAT? OPPA!?!?! Your cheeks turned to a color of instant tomato red. What are you trying to pull out here?!

 

“I guess.” Taekwoon said letting you stand on your own. You were about to interrupt the conversation but Hongbin beat you to it. He thanked Taekwoon and said goodbye to him. Hongbin pulled you into a tight hug and told you to take care and enjoy.


“Hongbin-oppa, what the hell are you doing??” you whispered angrily.

 

“Helping you with your love life.” What?? Hongbin released you and pinched slightly your cheek. “See you on the last day of summer.”

 

Hongbin ran to the car where everyone was already seated. His smile faded on the way to car, suppressing any negative feelings and keeping it to himself but when he turned back to you and Taekwoon his smile returned. It’s better like this… he waved his hand and shouted one last goodbye before going in the car. You waved back and shouted that you’ll miss him and to come back safely and with presents. Hongbin-oppa, thanks… you smiled. 

 

 When you thought they were heading off, someone shouted both grabbing you and Taekwoon's attention. Your brother, Sanghyuk. “YA! What about me? No goodbyes at all??” Your brother’s head popped out of the window but you completely ignored him. You don't need goodbyes, Hyuk-oppa. Are you dumb or just plain annoying? You stifled a laugh. 

 

Taekwoon waved his hand and whispered a goodbye to your brother which made Hyuk smile. He called for you to say goodbye to him as well but you still ignored him. You turned to Taekwoon and smiled. “Want to have a leisure stroll with me at the park?”

 

Taekwoon tilted his head on one side. “Why not? I have nothing to do anyways.” You and Taekwoon faced the opposite direction and walked with your brother’s nagging voice behind.

 

"Hyuk's really noisy." Taekwoon commented. 

 

"Tell me about it." 


 

You and Taekwoon walked along the same park you two have first met. It felt like a walk down to memory lane. You two revisited the bench where he approached you when you were still a kid. The two of you decided to sit on the very bench and stayed there for a while. He teased you recalling that you called him Leo-oppa and that he found it rather amusing to be called a Leo because he does not look like a cat at all.

 

“You do! Especially your eyes!” you interjected, pointing at his piercing eyes. “People will agree with me.”

 

Taekwoon shook his head, completely against with you and was firm on his resolve that he does not look like a cat. You shrugged, giving up after you said another remark as to why he looked like a feline. He sighed, “You’re becoming like your brother.”

 

“I am my brother’s sister. There’s no stopping it.” You beamed. He laughed and slightly flicked your forehead. You and Taekwoon sat next to each other, bickering and chatting not knowing that time had gone by so fast. You’d definitely call Hongbin once they landed and thanked him for this. If it weren't for him, you probably would be just lying on your bed wasting time like a sloth. The wind passed by letting the leaves of tree behind you and Taekwoon rustled bringing you back to reality. 

 

“Such a nice day.” You close your eyes, head resting comfortably on his shoulder. Taekwoon watched you and smiled to himself. Whatever it was between you and him, he was already determined. He would do it. His eyes trailed down to your entwined hands. Out of nowhere, a rain drop hit his cheek. He looked up and saw the clear and bright sky covered by a large grey cloud.

 

You have got to be kidding me. Taekwoon thought. He shook you gently. By the time you lifted your head, rain fell. Without saying a word, he pulled you up to your feet and ran to a shed nearby.

The two of you catch your breaths. You frowned and shouted at the sky being unfair since it was summer and shouldn’t be raining. Taekwoon chuckled and ruffled your damp hair telling you to not hate the rain. You frowned and complained that it always rain when you and him are together.

 

“It does. Maybe it’s our thing.” Taekwoon said, pulling his hand back in place. Our thing… your whole face turned red just by hearing the ‘our’ word. You looked up at him and smiled, agreeing with what he had said. He opened his palm and let raindrops fall on his skin. “Rain actually reminds me of you.”

 

“Hmmm?” The memories of you and Taekwoon in the bus shed came flooding in. Somehow the situation you were in was similar back then only this time it’s just you and Taekwoon under the shed and both of you were slightly wet from the rain. “Oh.”

 

“Funny huh?” Taekwoon said, glancing at you. “Whenever it’s raining I find myself thinking of that day. The day at the bus shed. I was really nervous and excited at the same time. I was thinking of many things that day…”

 

“I actually didn’t see you…” You laughed embarrassingly, “not until you gave me your sweater—ah! Which reminds me it’s been months now and I still haven’t returned it.”

 

Taekwoon smiled amusingly at your determination to give his sweater back. “How many times do I have to tell you that you don’t need to, you?”

 

“But—“

 

“I won’t accept it if you give it back.” Taekwoon firmly stated. You tried reasoning with him but he shooed it away. He shook his wet hand letting water hit your face. You growled in frustration, “Why’d you do that?”

 

He laughed. It was something nice to hear from Taekwoon who was usually quiet and all to himself. He apologized and brushed the droplets off your face with his dry hand. You bit your lip as he slowly wiped the last droplet. You felt something stirring on your chest.

 

“Taekwoon-oppa…” you looked up at him, heart pacing. Is this the right time? Should I—

 

“Oh. The rain has stopped.” Taekwoon’s hand drifted away from your cheek. You took a silent intake of breath. Whoa, that was close. You stared at Taekwoon. His eyes on the now clear blue sky and his lips quirked into a smile. He looked at you and took your hand, pulling you close to his side. “Let’s go. I’ll take you home, it’s getting late.”

 

He squeezed your hand, “Don’t want your brother going berserk.” You laughed at his remark and squeezed his hand back.

 

“Not a really good thing to see.”


 

“So when are you going to give me the thing you were talking about?” Taekwoon asked as you walked back home. You grinned and promised you’ll give it to him once you arrived at home. He nudged you and asked for a hint but you still kept your mouth shut. He sighed and messed up your perfectly good hair. “Just say it.”

 

“Ahh—oppa!” You fixed your hair and frowned at him. He chuckled and told you that you should have just told him. The time you reached the house, you let him stay at the living room and offered him a dry towel while you go upstairs and get the item you were to give him and maybe change into new set of clothes.  

 

 

“Oh, Hyung!” Taekwoon turned to where the familiar voice came from and saw Hyuk. They met halfway and asked what each were up to. They just got back from the airport and his dad went out to get his mom from work. Taekwoon pointed upwards, “Waiting for your sister. She said that she’s going to give me something.”

 

“Oh. So you was with you?”

 

Taekwoon nodded. Hyuk eyed him cautiously and asked, “What did you two do? Was she weirding you out? I mean is she alright?”

 

“We strolled around the park. Yeah, she’s fine. Why wouldn’t she be?” Taekwoon inserted his hands on his pants pockets as he waited for Hyuk to talk.

 

Hyuk laughed embarrassingly and ran his hand through his hair, “You see… My sister turns into this weird, cutesy and girly person whenever he is with you even if we’re talking just about you. It’s really funny, hyung! It’s hilarious to even—“ Hyuk laughed, hugging his stomach awkwardly. “Anyways the way I look at it my sister has a huge and I mean HUGE crush on you so—

 

“I like you too.”

 

Sanghyuk stopped from his tracks. He was no longer laughing; an instant change of mood. Taekwoon stood tall next to your brother silently staring at him. He scanned your brother’s sudden change and knew he was dead serious and whatever happens next is something that definitely should be remembered.

 

“What do you mean by liking you?” Sanghyuk’s stern voice was clearly telling Taekwoon that this conversation was not a laughing matter.

 

Taekwoon crossed his arms and glanced at his feet before facing your brother head on. “I like your sister. Not in a brotherly or friendly way but in the way that I see her as a girl.”

 

“What are you trying to say, hyung?”

 

“As a friend and you being her older brother, I’m asking for your permission if I could ask your sister out.” 

 

 

Sanghyuk walked along the neighborhood with his older friend, Taekwoon. The two haven’t spoken to each other since they left his house and to be honest Sanghyuk didn’t know what to say. I wish Hongbin-hyung was here. He would handle this situation easily. DAMMIT. I don’t want to jeopardize my friendship with Taekwoon-hyung… He stopped in front of a convenience store, this place will do. 

He pointed at the store and told Taekwoon to follow him. Sanghyuk led his hyung inside the store and went straight to the beverages. He bought two cans of coffee and went to where Taekwoon was sitting; on one of the tables by the glass window.

 

“Here you go.” Sanghyuk handed the beverage as he sat next to Taekwoon. The older one thanked him. Sanghyuk took a sip of his coffee, “I guess we should start talking about my sister now, huh?”

 

Taekwoon kept silent. He wanted to hear what his friend wanted to say before he tells his side. Sanghyuk traced the rim of the can with his finger, “Hyung you do know that I love my sister more than anything but I rarely show it. You also know that I tend to be a bit over protective towards you because she is my little sister.”

 

Taekwoon nodded.

 

“This is also the reason why I am saying no to you. Not that I hate you, hyung.” Sanghyuk reasoned. “I know you’re a good guy, hyung but I don’t want my sister getting hurt because of you. Plus, she’s still young. I don’t think it’s good for her to be in a relationship when she’s still so young.”

 

Taekwoon nodded.

 

“So I would like if you could back off for a while and try to reevaluate your feelings for her. You might be confused or you might be having a fever right now that’s why you said those things to me. I’m not telling you to completely avoid her just…don’t get too close…I’m not the kind of brother who tells the guy who likes his sister to die or disappear.” Sanghyuk slouched on his seat acting all cool. “You can still be friends with her but I’ll be keeping an eye on you.”


Taekwoon nodded.

 

“Hyung. Don’t take this the wrong way okay?” Sanghyuk checked Taekwoon’s facial expression but as always he had his normal stoic expression written on his face. Oh my god. Did I break Taekwoon-hyung? Is he mad? Is he going to kill me now? Shoot. What the hell should I do?? Should I take what I say back? NO. I am keeping what I said! Taekwoon smiled facing Sanghyuk. Oh no, I broke him.

 

“I understand.” Taekwoon began, he took a sip from his coffee and stared at it. “Maybe it is too early for me.”

 

Sanghyuk took a sigh of relief, Oh gosh, I thought I broke him for a second. He glanced at his older friend and saw him staring blankly at the coffee can. Maybe he did break Taekwoon but he pushed those thoughts away. Even though Taekwoon is a good friend of his, you is more important.

 

“I won’t confess to her.”

 

“Thank—“

 

“Yet.” Taekwoon continued. He glanced at Sanghyuk and patted his friend’s shoulder, “I still like her and that won’t change, I’m quite sure and no I don’t have a fever. I guess I’ll just have to keep a bit distance away?” he asked Sanghyuk in which the boy nodded. “Then I’ll do that but don’t expect me to hold back.”

 

“Hyung! Promise me you won’t do anything stupid!? I like you hyung but I’ll break you if you do something with my sister. Especially if you make her cry!” Sanghyuk was beginning to feel irritated. Taekwoon grinned and stood from his seat.

 

He looked at Sanghyuk and shrugged leaving him alone in the convenience store, “I promise. See you later, Hyuk.”

 

I still won’t hold back the feelings that’s been brewing inside me since I met her… Taekwoon sighed. He pulled out his phone and saw an unread message but ignored it.

 


 

i shib sa shigani mojara (oh baby)

neowa hamkke isseumyeon

neowa nuneul matchumyeon

i shib sa shigani mojara (oh baby)

naega neoreul manjigo

niga nareul manjimyeon

 

Hakyeon moved to the beat of the music. He was perfectly in sync with the music he chose. It was one of his favorite songs and everyone knew that he wasn’t someone to be messed with especially at his special dancing hour or should we say his Sunmi hour and that was why he was quite surprised when his phone rang exactly in the chorus part of the song.

 

“DAMN IT! REALLY?! I WAS FEELING IT!” Hakyeon stomped his feet furiously. He strode to where his iPod was and pressed pause before attending to his ringing phone. This better be good! Not even bother to look at who was calling, Hakyeon answered the call with an obvious pissed voice. “WHAT?”

 

“…is that how you greet people when they call you?”

 

Hakyeon’s anger quickly subsided once he heard the caller’s soft voice. A smile crept up to his face, it was obvious that Hakyeon has a soft spot for this person. Taekwoon rarely calls Hakyeon and him calling Hakyeon was something that the guy had been wishing for so long.

 

“TAEKWOON-AH!!” Hakyeon screamed like a spoiled kid. It was a good thing he was alone in the dance studio or else people might look suspiciously at him as if Hakyeon cared. “OH! Something happened??? Oh, oh!! Do you want to talk about something?! Do you want to meet?!”

 

“…”

 

“Taekwoon?! You still there?”

 

“Are you okay?” Taekwoon asked. “You were mad a while ago…”

 

Hakyeon laughed. “I was! I thought the one calling was Wonsik or Jaehwan since those two have been bugging me ever since but then when I heard your voice I wasn’t mad anymore!! You know I like you more!”

 

“…”

 

“Anyways!” Hakyeon sat on the floor comfortably, grabbed a towel from his bag and wiped the sweat off his face and neck. “Why did my longtime friend call me? Want to hang out? Advice? Tell me.”

 

“…”

 

Taekwoon didn’t speak for a minute but Hakyeon knew what Taekwoon was up to. Hakyeon smiled and lied on the floor staring up at the bright ceiling of the studio. “It’s about you, isn’t it?” Hearing the faint sound from Taekwoon confirmed what Hakyeon had asked. Hakyeon smiled and threw his towel upward and let it fall on his face. “Taekwoon. Why are you calling me instead of her then?”

 

“I should, shouldn’t I?” Taekwoon mumbled just enough for his friend to hear. “But right now I need to talk to you.”

 

Hakyeon felt excited somehow. This was the first time Taekwoon was the first to engage a conversation between the two of them. He nodded and told his friend that Taekwoon can take all the time he needs because Hakyeon would listen to every detail. Taekwoonie is becoming a brighter person.

 

“Can you come over here?” Hakyeon’s longtime friend asked and Hakyeon answered with a simple yes. 


 

Sanghyuk entered his home with Taekwoon’s words repeating in his mind. Is hyung really serious about you? he sighed. “Of all people, why my sister…”

 

 

“What about me?”

 

 

Sanghyuk jolted. you stood in front of him, arms crossed and wore a blank expression. Sanghyuk almost swore, it was a good thing that he bit the inside of his cheeks. “YA! You scared me, where did you come from?!”

 

you ignored her brother’s question and asked a question of her own. “Where’s Taekwoon-oppa?”

 

“Ah. Hyung said he’ll be going ahead, he has uhm…some stuff to do…” Sanghyuk lied, rubbing the nape of his neck. you knew his brother too well, and she knows that her brother was lying but decided not to ask anything further because there might be a reason why Sanghyuk was lying to her.

 

“Oh, okay.” She said and walked back inside the house.

 

you…” Sanghyuk sighed. He wanted to know if his sister was feeling the same thing, if what he was doing for her sister was right, or if this weird day was all just a dream. Please be a dream…

 

“Oppa?” you's voice brought Sanghyuk back to reality. “...do you want to tell me something?”

 

No. Not now. Sanghyuk smiled brightly, masking his thoughts, and shook his head. He walked up to his sister and rested his arm on her shoulder. “Nothing. I just noticed…you’re getting fat.”

 

“Aigoo!” you raised her fist and punched Sanghyuk on the stomach. Sanghyuk chuckled, not feeling any pain from her hit.

 

“Such a cute sister.” I really can’t see you be with Taekwoon-hyung, I’m sorry. I don't want to see you getting hurt when the time comes things would happen to you and him.

 

"Ew, did you eat something, oppa? Why are you acting like this right now?" 

 

"OH, nothing." 

 

 


 

 

Taekwoon was hungry.

 

After talking to Hakyeon about ‘some’ stuff, it made him go hungry. He was never been the one to talk in most of their conversations because Taekwoon prefers to listen than to talk. Surprisingly it was fun to let someone know what you were feeling. It was also a good thing that it was Hakyeon whom he shared his thoughts and feelings with. Hakyeon may be a bit annoying (if he would just lessen the skinship) at times but he was a precious friend to Taekwoon and he was glad that he was able to talk to him.

 

Enough about Hakyeon. I’m hungry.

 

The rumbling of his stomach called for him to scramble out of his bed and went straight to the kitchen. Like any other hungry animal in the safari, Taekwoon went straight to where food can be found. Fortunately since he’s human, food is easily found—in the fridge. He opened the fridge and was greeted with the sight of various food. He scanned the fridge carefully, checking what seemed deem fit for his growling stomach. One food in particular caught his eyes.

He pulled the cake out of the fridge and went straight to where the table was. He grabbed a fork from one of the drawers and returned to his beloved cheesecake. He sat and ate the dessert in silence. Taekwoon took another mouthful of the dessert.

Out of nowhere, his phone buzzed. He pulled out his phone from his pocket and read the message that came from you.

 

To: Taekwoon

From: you

                Are you okay? You disappeared a while ago…I didn’t even get to give you your giftㅠㅠ

 

Taekwoon smiled. I should’ve come back. He let the fork hang on his mouth as he texted a reply telling her not to worry and that he apologized for leaving so sudden again and as for the gift, she could give it to her the next time they’d meet. When will be that next time? Taekwoon resumed with his eating when another reply came in.

 

To: Taekwoon

From: you

                Then can I give it to you tom? If you’re not busy…

 

To: you

From: Taekwoon

                Okay. Where and when?

 

Taekwoon felt shy. He immediately hid his head on the table right after he pressed send. This is the first time he was acting that way towards a girl and Taekwoon was comfortable with women thanks to his sisters but this one was different. Taekwoon felt shy and awkward at times but he always put on a chic and confident façade.

With few minutes passing, he finally composed himself and finished eating the cheesecake and not long you replied.

 

To: Taekwoon

From: you

                How about somewhere you’d like to go^^ anytime is fine with me!

 

Reading it, Taekwoon can’t help but to smile widely. He bit his lips forcing himself not to smile even more. Sanghyuk, sorry. I may not be able to keep my promise at all…