Camping? Not.

It's Raining

[160602. Updated]

 

“WAKE UP! We’re here.” the annoying voice of your loving brother woke you up from your sleep but you didn’t open your eyes hoping that you’d get to continue your sleep once he leaves. Unfortunately for you, Hyuk knew what you were scheming. Your brother leaned on you, letting you feel all of his weight. Tsk. The typical how-to-wake-up-my-sister-tactic of Hyuk. Back when you were kids this would be nothing to you since your brother was a puny kid but now that he’s all grown and gained some muscles he turned into somewhat a hulk and you can't handle him no more.

 

“FINE! FINE! I GIVE UP! I’M AWAKE! I’M AWAKE!” you yelped, pushing him away from you. Hyuk laughed, knowing that his method had woken you up. He moved away and clapped triumphantly.

 

“Now that you’re fully awake, let’s get off the car and help me with the bags.” Your brother opened the car’s door and walked out. You looked at the window and gasped, What in the world?! This isn’t a camping site. You quickly got off the car and ran to where you brother was— at the back of the car taking the bags off the trunk.

 

“I thought we’re going camping?!” You tugged Hyuk’s arm wildly. Hyuk kept a poker face as you continued shaking his arm off his body. Once you stopped, he turned to you and sighed disappointingly.

 

“I thought so too.” Hyuk pulled one of the duffel bags and slung it on his shoulder, “But mom, dad and uncle and auntie changed plans and wanted to go here instead.” He stretched his arms wide and faced the sea. He shouted out loud, “WE’RE AT THE BEACH!”

 

You stared at the beach in front of you and Hyuk. Though the distance between the beach and where you stood was large it didn’t prevent you from seeing the clear waves hit the pearl white sandy shore, people were already gathered at the beach either swimming or just playing by the sand and the rest were enjoying the bright and sunny weather. Gosh. The heat is killing me…

 

“Finally! You guys are here.”

 

You turned to where the voice was and saw Hongbin walking up to you and Hyuk. His hair disheveled but he was able to pull it off (as usual); he wore a loose white and red striped tank top, blue chino knee-length pants and sandals. Gosh, he’s wearing simple clothes and he still looks good in it.

 

“Hi Hyung, where’s your mom and dad?” Hyuk pulled out a backpack. You took the bag from your brother and carried it.

 

“They’re chatting with your parents back at the beach house. I guess, they’re just too excited they left the two of you behind.” Hongbin helped with the other luggage and the three of you followed Hongbin. He said that your parents and his rented a beach house for the whole week and it was only a few steps from where you were.

 

“Too bad. I really wanted to go camping.” You pouted, walking behind the two boys. Carrying three heavy bags was hard usually for a girl but you didn’t mind. You grew up with two boys turning you into somewhat of an Amazonian woman.  

 

Hyuk turned to you with a face similar with yours. “Same. I even brought marshmallows.”

 

“We could still go camping. We’ll just set up a tent in front of the house and we could still roast marshmallows.” Hongbin said, waiting for you to catch up with him and Hyuk.

 

After a few more walks, the three of you reached the beach house. The modern looking wooden stilt house stood at an elevated area just a few meters away from the sandy beach. The house had an oddly shape giving off a modern vibe to it. Hongbin opened the door for both you and your brother to enter first. You came in and found the interior even better.

The house had a so called open beam ceiling, letting light brightened the whole place without even switching on the lights. Walls were painted as the same color with the sand from outside, most of the furniture were weaved, and ranged from different shades of cobalt and emerald complimenting the entire theme of the house. The beach house indeed brought the essence of the sea into its interior.

The adults appeared right before you and the boys and greeted. They told you that there are only three rooms despite its large space so that means you would be bunking beds with your brother and Hongbin. Your mother cheerfully told that everyone should prepare for the beach. Everyone exclaimed but you. “What’s wrong dear?” your mother noticed immediately.

 

“I packed for camping and not the beach, mom.” You said nonchalantly.

 

Your mom giggled and lightly tapped your cheek. “I know you did. But no need to worry, dear. I took out all your clothes in your bag and changed it to summer clothes that I picked.”

 

EH…when did she…? Sneaky woman…

 

“Now! I suggest you boys and girl,” glancing at you and smiled. “Change into your swimsuits and go to the beach! We’ll head out first okay?” 


You stood blankly at the bedroom. I really hate wearing things like this... You were changing into the swimwear your mom had brought for you. You cursed mentally. Truthfully, you don’t wear two-piece swimsuits because you were still a bit sensitive in showing skin but since your mom was the one who stole your supposedly outfit for this vacation and changed it with clothes she personally chose, you absolutely had no choice.

Just as you were about to wear the top piece of the swimwear the door suddenly flew open. Hongbin stood still by the door while you just had taken off your shirt. It was a good thing that you still had your undergarments on or else it would probably be the death of you.

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

Hongbin tilted his head on one side and nodded approvingly at what he sees. “Not bad.”

 

 

 


Your brother waited by the common room of the house while you finished changing into your swimsuit. You wore an oversized white cotton shirt over the blue and white striped swimsuit. Hyuk turned to your direction and saw you. He waved his hand but stopped midway when he saw someone else coming out of the room. Sanghyuk laughed as he approached you and Hongbin. He stared at Hongbin’s face and laughed even louder. “Hyung, where on earth did you get that? And why is there a cotton stuck in your nose?” he said pointing at Hongbin’s swollen left cheek.

 

Hongbin glanced and pointed at you, “I complimented her and she thanked me by punching me in the face.”

 

You crossed your arms and whined, “It didn’t sound like a compliment, Hongbin.”

 

“Wah—you’re not using honorifics?!” Sanghyuk’s eyes widened. He turned to Hongbin, “Damn. She’s angry, alright.”

 

“It’s not my fault.” Hongbin walked to the fridge and grabbed two ice packs and placed one on the swollen part of his face. “I didn’t know that she was changing clothes. The door wasn’t locked, if I might add. It’s actually a good thing that I was the one who saw you and not some ert.”

 

“Uhmm…what’s the meaning of this?” Hyuk asked but was ignored by both you and Hongbin.

 

You glared at Hongbin, still pissed at what had happened. “But still. You should have knocked.”

 

“I did.” Hongbin winced, carefully placing back the ice pack on his face. “Besides, I’ve seen it all you. No need to hide anything anymore from me.”

 

Your whole face turned bright red. What Hongbin said was right; you practically grew up with him which means that he has seen things like…that…a long time ago… you just slammed your palm on your face as the realization hit you.

 

“Is she still mad at you?” your brother asked Hongbin who went and stood next to you again. He took your hand and placed the other ice pack gently on your swollen fist. Apparently punching can also give you bruises. He smiled cheekily, “She forgave me right after she punched me. She kind of regretted hitting me.”

 

You winced the moment the ice pack touched the bruised part of your fist. “Don’t be so cocky. I can still punch you with my other hand.”

 

Hongbin chuckled and slightly pressed the ice pack on your fist. “I’ll go call for my mom to check on that.” He pointed at your fist and turned to Hyuk, “Wanna come with me, Hyukkie?”

 

“Nah. I’ll stay here for a while to keep check if my sister punches someone again. You’ll never know. This kid has some serious temper.” Hyuk said, placing his arm around your shoulder. You were seriously about to use your other hand to punch the daylights out of your brother.

 

 

And so the first day at the beach turned out to be chaotic.

After letting Hongbin’s mom check your hand and knowing that it was fine, Hongbin and Hyuk practically dragged you to the beach. The adults were at the shore while you and the two boys played by the water. It was tiresome but fun at most. The anger you had for Hongbin disappeared but would soon resurfaced whenever your brother or Hongbin would remind you of it. The three of you went parasailing (an activity in which Hyuk screamed like a little girl and you and Hongbin just laughed at him nonstop), banana boat riding (another activity where Hyuk screamed and you almost slipping off the banana boat but Hongbin managed to grab you), snorkling (an activity that doesn't let Hyuk scream but the weird thing was that you were hearing his scream mentally. Oh and you also got to meet fishes and Hongbin took pictures of it) and beach volleyball (the activity where you were embarrassed not only by Hyuk but also by Hongbin by challenging grade schoolers to a match and the three of you lost without even scoring a point and at some point you thought if your brother and Hongbin were just playing around because you know them to be pros at sports).

After hours of playing, swimming, sand castle making, eating and chatting. All of you went back to the beach house to rest. Maybe going to the beach is not that bad after all…but I still kind of want to go camping…I want to eat roasted marshmallows…

 

Night came; everyone had just finished eating dinner and were doing their own stuff before going to sleep. Your parents were already in their room doing god-knows-what, Hongbin’s parents sat by the kitchen talking about what to do tomorrow while Hyuk and Hongbin were MIA. I guess they left and did something without me again…

You pulled out your phone from your pocket, checking if you had some unread messages. It was the first time you checked your phone for the whole day. Two unread messages. The name of the one who sent the texts made you blush. It was from Taekwoon. 

 

To: you

From: Leo-oppa^^

             you~ How's your day??? I heard that you'll be gone for a week??? Aww. When can I meet you again?? I miss you already :-* Let's grab a coffee when you come back, okay~? 

 

This is how Taekwoon-oppa texts? You read the next one. 

 

To: you

From: Leo-oppa^^

             That was Hakyeon, not me. Hope you have fun. See you soon.

 

You giggled. I thought so too. You hit reply and texted. 

 

To: Leo-oppa^^

From: you

           ㅋㅋㅋ kindly tell Hakyeon-oppa that we could meet again when we come back sometime next week =) and I miss him too ㅋㅋ See you soon too, oppa! 

 

You pressed send. After a few minutes, he replied. 

 

To: you

From: Leo-oppa^^

         I'll buy you cake. don't go and meet Hakyeon. 

 

You laughed. Taekwoon really doesn't want you getting close to Hakyeon.

 

To: Leo-oppa^^

From: you

        No need for cake. If you want, you can come with us when I meet with Hakyeon-oppa^^ I have to go now...getting sleepy. Goodnight, Oppa!

 

To: you

From: Leo-oppa^^

        I'll come with you and that brat. night. 

 

You smiled and entered the bedroom without switching the lights on since you were too lazy to even switch it on. You flopped down on your bed and closed your eyes when suddenly someone’s hand covered your mouth. The drowsiness faded.  Panicked, you immediately grab hold of the hand and shoved it away but it was too strong. You opened your eyes and saw Hongbin. Dammit. I thought I was going to be killed by the boogeyman or something.

You calmed down and snickered at him. He gestured for you be quiet and you showed him a thumbs up. He pulled his hand away and took your hand leading you out of the room and the beach house. The two of you quietly sneaked out and ran to the beach.

 

“Oppa, where are we going?” you asked, his hand still holding you close next to him. He pointed at the beach and smiled wittingly.

 

“Didn’t you want to go camping?” he said, walking slowly as the two of you approached the beach. You nodded. “Well?”

 

You looked at the view in front and beamed. Hyuk raised his arms and smiled, “We set up camp!!” Behind your brother was a large tent, probably good enough for five people; a small bonfire, three sticks and a bowl with large-sized marshmallows. You ran to Hyuk and gave him a hug, extremely bewildered by your sudden action. You kissed your brother on the cheeks and thanked him. Hongbin walked up to the two of you and laughed at the ‘weird reunion’ of siblings.

 

“Thank you, thank you!” you ran over to Hongbin’s side and kissed his cheek as well. You weren’t able to see his stunned expression because your attention at that time was on Hyuk. Your brother raised the bowl of marshmallows. “Let’s go roast some marshmallows!”

 

You thanked the two boys for being with you, making possible the camping you wanted. It was nice of them to think of this. The three of you roasted marshmallows and shared stories just like what a usual camping night goes on. After finishing all of the marshmallows and reliving the activities that you three did this morning, your brother who ate most of the marshmallows was getting sleepy and decided to sleep first. He resigned on one of the sleeping bags in the tent, leaving you and Hongbin alone outside the tent.

 

“The stars are shining bright tonight.” Hongbin pointed at the vast sky filled with different shapes and sizes of stars. You smiled, agreeing with what he had said. Pretty…

 

“We should wish for something, Oppa.” You suggested. You clasped your hands together and prayed to the stars. Byul-nim! Thank you for this day. I had fun with Hongbin-oppa and Hyuk-oppa. I admit, I was missing someone…it would have been nice if he was here with us three …Byul-nim…I have one wish…can you give me strength? Strength for me to admit it. To admit what I truly feel for this person… You opened your eyes and saw Hongbin staring at you. It made you feel a bit awkward but it ended quickly when Hongbin looked away and back at the stars. “Did you make a wish?”

 

You answered with a subtle nod. “You should too, Oppa. There’s no harm in wishing.”

 

Hongbin chuckled. “I already did.”

 

“What was your wish then?”

 

“I won’t tell…” Hongbin winked playfully and pulled out his iPod from his pocket. “If I tell you then the wish won’t come true.” he offered you the left earphone bud and you gladly took it.

You and Hongbin sat next to each other as you two shared earphones listening to his iPod. You held the iPod, scrolling down to look for a song you liked. You smiled and pressed it. Once the music started, Hongbin glanced your way questioning why you chose such a song.

 

“What? I like the song.” You defended reading the title of the song out loud. Little Star by Akdong Musicians. “Besides it’s in your playlist which also means that you like it too.”

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Hongbin crossed his arms and stretched his legs on the sand. You rested your back against his side and let your head fall on his shoulder. The music and the sound of waves hitting the shore accompanied you and Hongbin. It sounded peaceful.

 

you.” He called you out. “You haven’t told anyone about my secret place right?”

 

“Nope.” You answered, staring at the starry sky. “I did promise not to tell anyone and I’m keeping that promise.”

 

“Great. Does that mean I can also tell you another secret?” he asked. You sat upright, faced him and nodded telling him that he can tell you anything. Hongbin smiled, dimples appearing, and thanked you. You and Hongbin put his iPod away and let him speak first.

“I have feelings for someone I have known for a very long time now.” Hongbin stretched his arms and checked if your sleeping brother was still sleeping. “She’s someone whom I cherish and admire a lot.”

 

You smiled to yourself. The thought of Hongbin liking someone was new to your ears. Usually it was the other way around— girls liking him. You scooted closer and held his hands tightly. “OH! Who is she? Who’s the mystery girl?!”

 

Hongbin chuckled nervously. He blinked a few times before looking down, completely avoiding your gaze. He shook his head and told you that he can’t say the girl’s name. You frowned and hit his shoulder saying that you can keep the girl’s name a secret too but nonetheless Hongbin refused to give the girl’s name.

 

“What do you like about her then?”

 

Hongbin stared at you. “Well…I like her smile…” he said, tapping gently your lips with his forefinger. “The way she laughs, talks…but what I like about her most is that she’s true to herself and that she’s not fake. I’ve seen all sides to her and I don’t find any single thing I hate about her…I accepted her, even her flaws.”

 

You smiled at him fondly. Hongbin talking about a girl he is in love with was cute and cringe worthy. His whole face was the exact same hue when you get flustered at a situation like this. You leaned forward. “So did you tell her how you feel?” You asked, “She might feel the same way. I mean you did say that you’ve known her for a long time.”

 

Hongbin shook his head, “I can’t.” You asked why and he answered with a shrug, “I think telling her would only mess our situation. If I tell her how I feel, I might lose her. It’s fine if I don’t tell her now.”

 

“But you will…someday, right?” You stared at him waiting for him to talk. He glanced at you and smirked, not answering your question. “Eii, Oppa.” You relentlessly shook his arm but his mouth remained sealed. After one more tug, you gave up. You crossed your arms and sighed, “Oh alright. Just promise me to tell me everything about her when you’re ready. Oh! And tell me her name. Please?” you raised your pinky finger and reached for his.

 

Hongbin nodded and locked his pinky with yours. “I promise.”

 

“Oppa,” you hesitated. “Since we’re talking serious and sharing secrets here…can I also tell you a secret?”

 

“Sure. What is it?”

 

You took a long deep breath and slowly exhaled. You needed to tell it to someone and the only person you could think of now that could keep your secret was Hongbin. Oppa will understand… You stared deep into his eyes but soon broke contact as you looked up at the ceiling. “I also have feelings for someone I’ve known for a while now but I don’t think it’s the same feelings like yours…or maybe it is…”

 

Hongbin chuckled, “Just get to the point, you.”

 

You clenched your fists and took one last long breath. “I’m having these weird feelings…for Taekwoon-oppa.” There I said it. I said it. “Whenever the four of us get to hang out, I feel really conscious when I’m with Taekwoon-oppa. I blush. I get flustered easily. I even…got jealous…it’s weird, Oppa.”

 

Hongbin nodded. You turned to the person next to you and saw him staring at the sky as well. He had a smile plastered on his face but it seemed like forced to you. Feeling the eyes on him, he turned to you and smiled. He ruffled your hair gently. “Those weird feelings…aren’t weird at all...”

 

“Oppa.”

 

“It’s natural.” He whispered just loud enough for you to hear. “you…it’s called liking someone and it’s something we can’t even control. It’s something that we just have to deal with. Something like mine.”