Frustrations

It's Raining

[160602. Updated]

“Sorry I’m late,” You turned to where the soft voice came from and smiled. Taekwoon bowed, flustered that he had you wait for him quite a while. It was always fun to see him all getting worked up when he is an awkward position.

 

“Oh, it’s okay. I just got here as well,” You said, trying to ease him. “So where are we heading?”

 

“You’ll see.” Taekwoon smiled shyly. He offered his hand and you gladly took it and the two of you started walking with him leading the way. You cringed; seeing the two of you holding hands but before the two of you could go any further, you pulled your hand away from Taekwoon. Confusion quickly registered on his face but you didn’t care since you were busy taking out a small item in your bag. It wasn’t long when you found what you were looking for. You smiled as you handed it to Taekwoon.

 

“Before I forget.” You said, “I did tell you last time that I was going to give you a gift right?”

 

Taekwoon nodded. He looked at the item hidden under his fingers and smiled. A small voodoo-themed lion keychain. “A lion?”

 

You nodded. “It reminds me of you, so I bought it for you.”

 

“It’s cute…thanks.” Taekwoon chuckled, taking a good look at the lion keychain you just gave him. Whew, it’s a good thing he likes it!

 

“OH! His name is Leo by the way,” you pointed out while he was putting “Leo” away. Taekwoon smiled and repeated the keychain’s name. He smoothed your hair thanking you again.

 

“Shall we go now?” He asked. You bobbed your head and reached for his hand.

 

Earlier, you received a text from Taekwoon telling where to meet up. Without any hesitation or whatsoever, you changed clothes and hurried to the meeting place. You were excited to see him again since he left yesterday without even saying goodbye. Oh, and I also have to give you my gift! The two of you rode the bus. Taekwoon not mentioning anything to you about where you two will be going since he wants it to be a ‘surprise’.

 

“Are you allergic to any animals?” He asked.

 

“No, I don’t think so. Why?”

 

“…Nothing…”

 

You grinned. “Ah! You’re bringing me to a zoo, aren’t you?”

 

Taekwoon didn’t look at you and remained quiet. You laughed, feeling that you have solved the mystery to all this. You poked Taekwoon and asked him again but he remained stoic. Zoo it is. You and Taekwoon arrived at your stop and got off the bus. Taekwoon still kept quiet about the surprise even though you kept asking him questions and stating that you were right and that there was no need to hide it anymore. Taekwoon turned left and you followed. It was a street full of cafés. Wow. It’s paradise in here. Taekwoon stopped in front of a café. “Here we are.”

 

You gasped in excitement seeing what was inside the café. It was a cat café. “Wow!”

 

Taekwoon led you inside. The two of you were greeted by a waiter and guided you to your table. “Welcome!”


 

Hongbin stirred on his bed after hearing his phone ring. Ugh. Can’t I get enough sleep here? Hongbin reached for his phone and answered without checking the caller. The moment he answered, a hysterical cry from Han Sanghyuk can be heard. “HYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

What the—“Hyukkie?” Hongbin scrambled out of bed. He glanced at the clock, 10:42PM…that means it’s 3PM in Seoul right now. Why the hell is he calling me? Isn’t it expensive to call from overseas? Well not my problem…

 

“HYUNG! YOU HAVE TO GO BACK HERE AND HELP ME!”

 

“Did you get into another fight? I can’t come. I’ll just call Wonsik over there if you want.” Hongbin yawned. With Hyuk’s shouting, Hongbin knew he won’t get to sleep anymore for the rest of the night. He ran his hand through his hair and asked what the younger’s problem was. Sanghyuk always called Hongbin whatever the situation was and Hongbin was always there to help no matter the circumstances. He laughed, how would I help you if I’m in Milan right now?

 

Sanghyuk growled. “What?! NO! I wasn’t in a fight!?! This is something more important hyung! I’m stalking you right now and he’s with her! Even though I told him to—“

 

“What are you talking about?” Hongbin was lost.

 

“Taekwoon-hyung! He’s with you, they’re at this café which is by the way cool we should go there sometime—ANYWAYS, hyung can’t you come home earlier?”

 

Hongbin laughed. It was his first time hearing a desperate Sanghyuk. “We just arrived in Italy yesterday, Hyuk. I just can’t go back, mom’s going to kill me.” He sat on one of the couches near the window and watched the night view of Milan. Hongbin listened further to Sanghyuk’s pleas that was now sounding even more desperate and annoying at the same time. He sighed inwardly, this kid… “Sanghyuk. Chill. She’s just with Taekwoon-hyung. How bad can that be? It’s not like hyung is a serial killer or some stalker. In fact, you’re the one who should quit stalking your sister. It’s weird.”

 

She’s with someone she likes. Hongbin rubbed the nape of his neck.

 

“HYUNG, you don’t get me. Taekwoon likes you.” Sanghyuk’s stern voice suddenly came out.

 

Hongbin smiled bitterly, I knew it. You like her as well, huh? Sanghyuk called out for Hongbin but the older remained quiet. Should I interfere? I mean it’s not my place to do so. Sanghyuk repeated his name this time louder bringing Hongbin back to his senses.

 

“Sanghyuk, I don’t think you should stalk your sister.” Hongbin said emotionless, “She’s with Taekwoon-hyung so I don’t think there should be any worry here. If what you say about him is true, I’m sure Taekwoon knows what he is doing.”

 

“Hyung…are you siding with Taekwoon-hyung?” Hongbin can imagine his younger friend fuming right now. He sighed and simply answered that he wasn’t siding with anyone at all and was only thinking rationally at the situation.

 

“Okay, but hyung if you can go home early…can you? I’m going crazy over here.”

 

Hongbin smiled. He nodded and ended the call. You’re not the only one going crazy, Sanghyuk…I’m far worse than you. I wanted this right? Her to be happy? I know she’s happy with him…but…can’t I make her happy too? Well seeing how she is different with Taekwoon-hyung, I doubt it.


 

Taekwoon had his eyes on you the whole time. He watched you play with one of the kittens in the café, make weird and cute faces, and converse with him. He was definitely enjoying your company and you were too. Spending a whole afternoon with Taekwoon was fun, who would’ve thought that a quiet and stoic person would actually be a fun and funny guy. It was a good thing that he asked you out today, though Sanghyuk had been bothering his thoughts for a while; Taekwoon didn’t regret a single thing, I guess I have to live with it…Whatever Sanghyuk has in store for me…

 

“Look at him! He’s so cute!” You practically shoved one of the cats, an American bobtail, right on Taekwoon’s face. Taekwoon stared at the cat and when he was about to play with one of its paw, the cat stretched its legs as if it was about to attack Taekwoon’s face. He dodged the playful claws of the cat and almost cursed. You laughed at Taekwoon’s reaction, you never knew that he would react like that on the situation. You put the cat down and continued laughing at Taekwoon. “Oh my god, I didn’t know you would act like that! I should have recorded it!”

 

 He glared at you and flicked his fingers on your forehead. You yelped. “YA.”

 

“I’ll have my revenge. Just you wait,” Taekwoon rubbed the part where he flicked you and smiled. “You’ll be surprised.”

 

“Oh really?” You crossed your arms and grinned smugly, “I don’t think so. I have a brother who’s been doing pranks on me for as long as I can remember. I know when something fishy is about to happen.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Taekwoon rose from his seat and the next thing you knew was that his lips touched your forehead. The two of you stared into each other, not knowing how to react next. What just happened? Taekwoon’s eyes were on yours and moved down to your lips but then went back to look at your eyes. “And this?”

 

“…I’m actually used to it.” You smiled. Actually no.

 

Taekwoon nodded and went back to his seat. “I see.” He smiled back at you and you two laughed. "Do you want to go somewhere before we head home?" 

 

You thought of places to go but none came into mind. You asked him if he had a place in mind but he was in the same position with you as well, nothing. The two of you then brainstormed on where to go, different ideas and places came into mind. In the end, the two of you ended up with watching a movie. You and Taekwoon searched for the nearest movie theatre in the area and found one three blocks away. Without any hesitation, the two of you headed out.

By the time you reached the movie theatre, you and Taekwoon had a small crisis on what to watch. He asked if you wanted the romantic comedy and you laughed it off. “Uhm no. If you think that I’m one of those girls who want to watch a guy and a girl get all lovey-dovey for two hours then you’re wrong.”

 

Taekwoon laughed. “I wasn’t saying anything.” He looked back at the movie list and pointed at one of the movies, this time an action-thriller. “How about that one?” You gave him a knowing look and locked your arm around his, tugging him closer. 

 

“Sure! Let’s watch that one!” 

 

The two of you bought tickets and popcorn and went inside the theatre. Why do I have a feeling someone's watching us? Taekwoon looked back and he was sure he felt someone watching.


 

Hongbin put on a hoodie and told his parents that he’ll be going out for some fresh air. His dad asked if Hongbin wanted company since it was already late but he declined his dad’s offer and told him that he’ll be alright alone. By the time he left the hotel room, he pulled out his phone and earphones, played his playlist and put on his earphones. He walked out of the hotel and started his lonesome walk. This was a usual thing for Hongbin.

 

I should have done something before…I should have said my feelings for her before…I should have done it. Why was I such a coward back then? Even now? Was I scared? Hell yeah I was. I don’t want to jeopardize my friendship with you, she’s too important for me. Ugh. I was already sure with my decision in supporting you with Taekwoon but why am I mad right now? It isn’t me to get this fired up over something. Taekwoon’s a good guy, I’m sure of it. He won’t hurt you. If he did, I won’t forgive him. 

 Hongbin wandered the city's streets alone. He was actually enjoying it since he needed it to cool down and have his mind straighten for the upcoming days. His thoughts were being clouded again by you. He couldn't think straight at all, the call from Sanghyuk was the cause of this and he hated his friend for bringing it up. I was actually excited for this vacation...I had hopes that I'd forget about you for a while...Thanks, Hyuk. He strolled around the streets for almost two hours, thinking deeply on what he needed to. By the time he came back to the hotel room, Hongbin went straight to his bed and sighed. "I guess I just have to say it out loud once I go back to Korea or else I would definitely go crazy." 

Hongbin ran his hand through his hair, and here I thought I would give her away this time. Helping her with her love life, my Hongbin. You can’t even fix yours.


 

On the other side of the world, you and Taekwoon had just finished the movie. Leaving the theatre with smiles on both your faces. You two enjoyed the movie alright and wanted to watch it again but since it was already getting late, Taekwoon decided to take you home. By the time you arrived home, Sanghyuk was waiting by the door. You greeted your brother with a smile before heading inside and saying goodbye to Taekwoon. Once the coast was clear of you, Sanghyuk frowned. "Hyung, I thought you promised--"

 

Taekwoon smiled, "I am keeping my promise." 

 

"HYUNG! DON'T BE LIKE THIS!!" Sanghyuk cried. This will totally be the death of me, I tell you!!!

 


 A month has passed.

 

 

 

You stared at your reflection in the mirror. You smiled seeing yourself wearing the same uniform as your brother’s. This is it. Your first day of high school. You clapped and boosted yourself with a small cheer. Hopefully this day would turn out gre—

                                         

“YA! ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP ON STARING AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR OR ARE WE GOING TO SCHOOL?!” Your annoying brother’s voice halted you from your cheering on yourself. What a way to ruin a moment, Hyuk-oppa. You glared at the door as if it was your nagging brother and shouted back angrily.

 

“I AM COMING DOWN ALREADY! JEEZ!” You grabbed your backpack and slung it on your shoulders. You marched downstairs furiously, once your brother was in your reach you purposely let the bag hit him. Hyuk flinched, “YA!”

 

Before your brother could take revenge on you, your mom came out of the kitchen and handed you and Sanghyuk’s lunches. She kissed both of you and mentioned to have fun and enjoy your first day of school. The two of you kissed your mom goodbye and head out. As soon as the front door closed, Sanghyuk tousled your hair, ruining your fixed hair and laughed. “That’s for hitting me.”

 

“Aigoo. I knew it, some things really never change. Sanghyuk, what on earth are you doing to you now?” A familiar low voice asked annoyingly at your brother. You lifted your head and smiled seeing Hongbin. It’s been a month since you last saw him. Eh? When did he came back? Yesterday? Why didn’t he tell me?  You ran over to Hongbin and gave him a warm welcome hug.

 

“Welcome back! How was Italy?” You asked, not letting him go.

 

Hongbin his hands on your disheveled hair and fixed it. “It was great. I’ve bought some stuff for you, I’ll give it to you later when we get back home.”

 

You thanked him for the ‘stuff’ and for fixing your hair. This time you finally let him go; you turned to Sanghyuk who was making faces at you. When will this guy ever grow up? You stuck your tongue at your brother. Hongbin just laughed and rested his arm on your shoulder, “Can we just go to school now? Continue your sibling bickering at school. I don’t want to be late because of you two.”

 

“Hyung, the reason why we’re going to be late is because of this one.” Sanghyuk pointed at you as he walked up to his older friend. “Shall we go now?”

 

“One day you will really miss me, you hear me Sanghyuk-oppa?” Your hands tugged the backpack straps and the three of you walked to the usual bus stop.

The ride to school was as usual rowdy because of you and Sanghyuk nagging at each other while Hongbin was silently enjoying the view on the bus’s window accompanied with his usual iPod. This was a normal day and you were happy since the three of you got to be together again. You have to admit that you were excited since you were finally attending high school which meant more fun, more school activities and more importantly more FUN.

Once you and Sanghyuk's morning antics died down, you focused your attention on Hongbin. You asked him about his vacation in Italy and he told you one particular story where he was strolling around Milan at night and got lost without even knowing. It was a good thing he had a few cash on him so he took the cab back to their hotel. “You’re having that episode again, oppa.” You said, smiling.

 

“What episode?” Hongbin asked, not knowing what you meant.

 

You poked his temple and giggled, “An episode where you just shut down from the world and think deeply about things. You always have that kind of episodes when we were kids. I thought you were going nuts but I guess you needed it. You know, to get away from everything and have a clear mind and thought when you come back and face reality.”

 

Hongbin smiled and you returned the favor. “So during that time, did you get to have a clear mind?” he nodded and told you that he now had a clear mind of what to do. Before he could explain any further, your brother called both your attention saying that you guys were at your stop. The three of you walked towards the school. You walked in between the two males. This is when you noticed that the students who were also coming to school were looking at your direction. Is there something on my face? Am I wearing my uniform backwards?  

 

You looked down, completely avoiding gazes on people. Hongbin noticed it and asked if you were feeling okay. You bobbed your head but Hongbin knew better. “You do know that Hyuk and I know when you’re not feeling okay, right?”

 

“I’m just feeling a bit…scared.”

 

“Don’t be.” Your brother said coolly. You glanced at Sanghyuk and see him looking at you. He gave you a thumb up and mentioned that it’s practically because it was your first day that you’re feeling that way. Sometimes, you can be cool brother Sanghyuk-oppa, but don’t you think I would say that out loud.

 

“Hyukkie’s right.” Hongbin beamed. You thanked the two and completely ignored the stares you got from the students. The three of you reached the school gates and was greeted by a teacher. He looked young for a teacher and he somehow oddly resembles a person you know. Wow. He really looks like someone I know. The three of you greeted the teacher with a bow and went on your way.

 

“That’s Mr. Seo, he’s a cool teacher.” Your brother pointed at the teacher they previously greeted. “He hangs out with the students all the time,”

 

“It’s because Mr. Seo’s cousin is Hakyeon-hyung.” Hongbin added, “The two are so close that even their faces are alike.”

 

“Hakyeon? Oh. Taekwoon-oppa’s friend?” you asked. Oh. That's why...

 

The two males nodded and laughed out loud, “His best friend. Like the two are inseparable. Hakyeon-hyung tends to cling onto Taekwoon-hyung.” Sanghyuk noticed two tall figures ahead of you three, “Oh. Speaking of the two,”

 

“OH. HAKYEON-HYUNG, TAEKWOON-HYUNG!” Hongbin called out. You could hear your brother scold Hongbin for calling out the two since he was clearly avoiding them. Why would he avoid them? Did something happened?  Hakyeon and Taekwoon turned to your direction. Hakyeon waved happily and ran towards the three of you while Taekwoon followed quietly.

 

“You little brats! It’s been so long since I’ve seen you!” Hakyeon embraced Hongbin and Sanghyuk tightly before letting them go and focused on you. He leaned closer, eyes meeting, and smiled. “It’s nice to see you again, you~”

 

“Hi Hakyeon-oppa,” you smiled back.

 

By that time, Taekwoon reached you and the others. He smiled and gave you a subtle nod. You looked down completely avoiding their gazes when you noticed something dangling on Taekwoon’s bag. You smiled; it was the cute little lion keychain you bought for him. He’s using it. You pointed at the lion and looked up at Taekwoon with a smug grin written on your face. “I see that Leo is with you.”

 

Taekwoon nodded. A smile appeared on his face, quite cheerful one. “He keeps me company when I’m alone.”

 

“That’s good to hear.” You played with your backpack straps, “I thought you wouldn’t like it.”

 

“I like it.” Taekwoon said. In between you and Taekwoon was Hakyeon who had enough of you two. He rolled his eyes and sighed.

 

“If you two keep on acting like there is nothing going here, I will both smack your faces. No offense, .”

 

“Dude. That’s my sister.” Sanghyuk pushed himself between the two oldest and let Hongbin stand next to you. He glared at the two and muttered that this would be a tough school year. You glanced at Hongbin giving him a questionable look. Hongbin shrugged and pulled you closer, whispering. “Your brother’s being overprotective as usual.”

 

You glanced at three guys behind you and you can see your brother basically having a staring contest with Taekwoon and a funny verbal argument with Hakyeon (about Hakyeon loving banana milk and your brother's love for gopchang?). Overprotective? What's up with him? 

 

“How about we leave those three behind and we just go check out our classrooms, huh?” Hongbin suggested.

 

You glanced at the three guys behind and back at Hongbin. Them acting like kids would take me and Hongbin forever to wait. You nodded and the two of you went ahead. Hongbin practically gave you a short tour as you two got closer to the school’s entrance. He mentioned that you would be having a small tour around the school so there was no need for him to tour you the whole thing.

You and Hongbin would occasionally get the stares but you didn’t mind it now because Hongbin would always remind you to completely ignore it. Reason as to why I'm getting those stares is about of me standing next to this piece of artwork. 

The two of you walked to the board where names were assigned to different classrooms. Hongbin immediately found his name and found out his class and so he helped you in finding your name. Just then, you heard a girl screaming your name. You turned and was greeted with a surprise hug from Minah, your best friend.

 

you!!”

 

“Minah!!”

 

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!” The two of you squealed. Good thing that Hongbin was able to cover his ears from the loud screams or else he would have been deaf. Minah noticed Hongbin and immediately composed herself, she bowed politely and greeted the older one.

 

“Oh, Hi Hongbin-oppa.” Minah laughed nervously, “Sorry you’d get to see-- er hear that.”

 

“No it’s okay. I’m quite used to it.” Hongbin lifted his hands away from his ears and asked if Minah have found out about her assigned class. She nodded and grinned like the Cheshire cat in one of your favorite childhood books at you. That knowing look gave you a clear sign that you two were classmates. And again, you squealed.

 

Hongbin sighed. Girls. He patted your shoulder and told you that he was heading to his classroom first since a friend of his was waiting. You thanked him again and said your temporary goodbyes. The moment Hongbin left you with Minah, girls approached you with no hesitation. They had their eyes on you and the look they’re giving were weird…more like awestruck…? 

 

"Omo. You're so pretty!" 

 

"What's your name? Are we in the same class?"

 

"Is Hongbin-oppa your boy--"

 

“Yo. you,” You turned and saw your brother. OH MY GOD. Thank you! I cannot tell you how grateful I am, now that you're here oppa!! He approached you and asked if you found your classroom yet, not knowing what he had just save you from. You answered by pointing your name on the list with the help of Minah guiding you where your name was. He smiled, amazed that you and Minah were still classmates.

 

“I know right.” You smirked, “We can never be separated. Ever.”

 

"Creepy actually but cool."Sanghyuk agreed.

 

"Oh, where's Taekwoon-oppa and Hakyeon-oppa?" You asked, looking behind Sanghyuk but no sight of them were seen. Your brother then told you that his two hyungs were called by Mr. Seo so he went ahead and that he was quite disappointed that you and Hongbin left him alone to deal with the two hyungs. 

 

Who said you should be dealing with them? You laughed apologetically. "Sorry about that, Oppa."

 

 “Whatever." Sanghyuk brushed the idea off, "Anyways, I’ll see you later? We’ll go home together. Minah can come to if she wants. You better wait for me and Hongbin-hyung. Don’t go talking to guys!”

 

“Okay, okay. See you later, oppa.” You rolled your eyes.

 

Funny thing was that the very second you told your brother you wouldn’t talk to a guy, you bumped into someone. You apologized and looked at the person you bumped into. He was rather tall but not as tall as your brother. His eyes were charming, and he had a cute smile. You quickly apologized and tried to go about with your business but he suddenly grabbed hold of your arm. “Can I help you?” you asked awkwardly.

 

“Yeah. Your name and year please.” He winked.

 

“…Uhmm…”

 

“YA! LEE JAEHWAN-HYUNG!” Your brother dashed through the crowd and immediately to where you were. The person named Jaehwan saw your brother running and smiled brightly.

 

“HYOGGI! NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN~~”


Sanghyuk pulled you immediately away from Jaehwan and pushed you towards Minah and ordered the two of you rather forcefully to go to your class. Eh? What’s wrong with Sanghyuk-oppa? “What’s wrong with your brother?”

 

“I have no idea.” What an eventful first day of school and it’s just getting started.


 

Sanghyuk has been a good older brother and he knew that. He knew that he may sometimes be annoying towards you but that was just how he showed his loving side towards her. He also knew that his sister is pretty and guys like her which is a pain in the because he always have to keep an eye on her. Especially now that she’s entering high school which only meant double trouble for Sanghyuk.

Just a while ago, the school’s Casanova, Lee Jaehwan, approached his sister. If he hadn’t been there, who would have known what Jaehwan could have done and said to youUGH. That’s two people, Jaehwan-hyung and Taekwoon-hyung…well Taekwoon-hyung doesn’t really count but!! In just one day…this is so tiring. It was a good thing that Hongbin helped him out in that particular area.

 

“I like you too.”  That was the exact words that Sanghyuk heard from his favorite hyung, Taekwoon, during the summer. That simple four words had been stuck with Sanghyuk for almost a month now. He hasn’t had a great sleep at all, mostly because he thinks about it and remember what happened that night. Sanghyuk growled in frustration as he tried pulling his hair.

 

“WHY ON EARTH DOES IT HAVE TO BE HER?!?!?”

 

Sanghyuk screamed. In an instant he remembered where he was. In his classroom. His classmates and homeroom teacher stared confusingly at him. Damn it. Sanghyuk apologized and avoided people’s stare by looking at the open book on his table.

 

“HAN SANGHYUK! There is no need for you to shout in my class. TO THE OFFICE.”

 

Sanghyuk sighed; he rose from his seat and exited the classroom. He inserted his hands on his pockets and strode towards the detention room. “My little sister…what am I to do…”