This is for the best.

It's Raining

 

“I got accepted.”

 

His words rung in your ears. You knew Taekwoon was an exceptional student so it was not a surprise if he was accepted to any university of his liking. The fact that he went for an exchange program was the one that surprised you. But if this is your decision, then I’ll support it. You reached out to hold his hand and smiled. His eyes met yours as you spoke to him in soft words. “That’s great to hear. I’m happy for you.”

 

Taekwoon relaxed. “Thanks.”

 

“What are you taking?”

 

You glanced his way and nudged his side. “Look at you, a big shot. Make sure, you don’t forget us.”

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Good.” You nodded to yourself. Not knowing of what to do with the situation in hand, you rose to your feet and excused yourself to go to the bathroom. Of course everyone would know what happened inside. Taekwoon took a heavy breath.

 


 

The following days, you and Taekwoon still meet and study with each other. The talk about Taekwoon going never resurfaced since both of you wanted to focus first on studies. Throughout the time you two spent on each other, the more you think about the situation. It never really left your thoughts especially when you’re alone. Until the end of exams weeks.

You were on your way home when you found him standing outside waiting for you. Your eyes met his. At that very instant, you knew you two were going to talk about it.

 

you.”

 

“Taekwoon.”

 

“Come with me. We need to talk.” Taekwoon reached out for your hand but you decided not to take it and walked beside him instead. You had no idea where you were going at first but as soon as you two turned left, you noticed the sign of the park. The place where it all started. “Remember this place?”

 

“How could I not?” You said, smiling weakly. “This is where I met a lion who fed me ice cream.”

 

Hearing your faint antic made Taekwoon snicker. The two of you strolled your way to the park and sat on the exact bench. Talk about nostalgia. You and Taekwoon sat on both ends of the bench awkwardly. How did we end up like this?you, I think we need to talk about—“

 

“You leaving?” you interrupted him before he could even finish partly because you don’t want him to say it. Taekwoon nodded and started. “Are you mad?”

 

“No.” You admitted. “There’s no reason for me to be mad. That’s your decision to make. Maybe…upset.” It was at that moment you decided to be upfront with him. He needed to hear your take on the whole situation and not keep it all to yourself. “You know I was really happy when you confessed. I was also happy that we get to know each other better…be there for each other…then you started becoming busy.” You looked away, afraid that tears will fall if you look at him. “I tried understanding you but it was hard on me. I didn’t know what to do…”

 

“I am sorry.” Taekwoon blurted out. “I acted selfishly on it. I thought that if I did not tell you about it, you wouldn’t—it was so stupid of me.”

 

A little girl ran passed laughing as she chased down a ball.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me then?”

 

“I didn’t want you to bother with it.” Taekwoon answered. “It’s okay for me to handle it by myself.”

 

“But you could have at least told me.” The silence between you two stretched longer than both of you expected. You clenched your fists, preparing yourself for what you’re about to do next. This is for the best.

 

“Let’s end this here, Taekwoon.” You said. You took his hands and smiled at him with all you can. You were determined not to show your weakest and that you were firm on your decision. “I’m not ending this because I don’t love you, okay? I’m doing this so you can focus on yourself. You have to pursue your dreams first. Do things for yourself, first.”

 

you…” Taekwoon trembled. “What are you saying? I can still see you even when I’m in college.” You shook your head and bit your lower lip. You have to let him see it in your perspective.

 

“Taekwoon, you have to focus on one thing right now and that’s your studies. I’ll still support you but I won’t be by your side.” You said. “I hope you understand that I’m saying this for your own sake. I want you to pursue your dream and not hold yourself back.”

 

“I’m not holding—“

 

“It’s okay, Taekwoon.” You said as you gently squeezed his hands. “It’s okay.” You tiptoed and kissed his cheek. Taekwoon felt his knees weak. He didn’t expect that the day would end like this. He didn’t expect that you wanted your relationship to end. He looked down. “you, if you’re doing this for my sake, how about you? Are you really okay with this?”

 

You nodded unhesitatingly. I’ve made my decision. “I’ll still be here for you.”

 

“Why don’t I get a say on this?”

 

“Because I know you would say something like you can balance everything out and we’ll make it work. But knowing you for the past months, I know you Taekwoon. You’re someone who’s driven by passion and right now your passion is your music. You need to pursue that or else you’ll regret later. I don’t want you regretting.”

 

“This hurts so much.” Taekwoon shut his eyes to avoid crying. You forced yourself not to cry as well. You released his hands and wrapped your arms around him. You buried your head on his chest and took in his scent one last time. “Please, think about yourself first.”

Rain drops.


 

Hongbin craved for some snacks and decided to go out and buy at the convenient store. It was already raining hard but that didn’t stop Hongbin from satisfying his craving. He grabbed an umbrella and went to the convenient store nearby. He bought the snacks he was craving and a few more items. After doing so, he went on his way back home. On the way back, he noticed a figure entered the narrow street leading to his secret place. Hmm…you?  He thought and followed the figure. He walked behind the person and found out that it was you; clothes all dripping wet, head lowered, looking down at your soaked shoes. Hongbin sighed, seeing that you didn’t even care how you were under the rain unmoving. “you!” He ran over to you and covered you under his umbrella.

 

“Dummy! Why didn’t you bring an umbrella—“ Hongbin’s fell silent as his eyes laid on your face. Your eyes were red, body shaking. You’ve been crying for the last hour. Hongbin immediately pulled you into an embrace. The gesture made you even cry more. You didn’t need someone to comfort you but you were lying to yourself. You had to be strong just enough to show it to other people at all especially at Taekwoon. You cried and tightly held Hongbin.

 

“I did it. I did it….” You cried. “I let him go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--

here you go to my readers! forgive me for being so long. my dad bought me one of my fav games and i binge-play on it (is that a word?) but i manage to make a chapter. huhuh. i'm also currently doing other old and new fics so i dunno when i'll post another chapter for this~ FEEL FREE TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT, AND UPVOTE!