Nine

Art of Culinary Expression

"I'm sorry."

Kyungsoo felt something stab through his chest mercilessly. It was literal, but still a strong equivalent to the real thing. His legs began to shake, each one stepping up to Jongin with staggering movements. He didn't speak, only allowing fresh tears to trail down his rosy cheeks. Jongin's heart broke at the sight. 

"Please Jongin." Kyungsoo begged, now clinging onto the younger's shoulders for relief and support. 

The tanned boy's face was rather shocked. 

"I'm saying sorry for being such an ." Jongin spoke, wide eyed, and preventing the small body from falling onto the wet concrete. He noticed that his apology was taken the wrong way. Kyungsoo looked up, sorrow transforming into confusion. 

"W-What?" He questioned, along with Luhan's anxious yet melodic voice asking the same exact question simultaneously.

"I just wanted you to accept me."

"But I have."

"It doesn't look like it." Jongin mentally hit himself for allowing something so raw slip out of his lips for the second time that day. Being deprived of sleep was taking a great toll on his word choice. "I mean- you don't seem like you have." Nice save. He praised himself for the damage control. 

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip in uncertainty. Has he really been that oblivious to his actions towards Jongin that it had to come to this?

"That's.. why I was saying sorry." The shorter exclaimed, standing up straight but not backing up from the other's taller posture. 

"For not accepting me?"

"...Yea-No! For being such an ." Kyungsoo repeated Jongin's previous words with confidence. 

"You're not an , Kyungsoo."

"You need time to realize it." The older defended himself, knowing that denying his crude attitude lately would definitely result in regret later. It was smarter to stick to the painful truth, regardless of how much he didn't want to. 

"No I don't. And I know why you've been this so-called . It's because of me." Jongin paused Kyungsoo before he could protest against the statement. "Don't say that's not true. My reputation intimidates you, but I was too caught up with winning you over, I haven't even thought about what it must be like to be in your place."

Kyungsoo froze. That was true. He himself hadn't even realized it, but was smart enough to take note of it. There was no arguing against this now, Jongin was right. And that was the worst part. 

"Now that I now how you feel, I can't help but let myself give you the rage that you gave me, except I have no logical reason." The taller continued, showing no signs of fear or pressure. He was simply letting everything out with sheer confidence, ignoring anything that could distract him. His whole world was only Kyungsoo. "After some thinking, you have every right to be angry, only to have me treat you even worse than you did. I'm not even sure why I walked off. I don't think I'm used to rejection."

This is my first time admitting to something. Yeah, you were a jerk yesterday, but that doesn't excuse my actions. So if you accept my apology, everything will be back to normal, nothing to worry about."

Jongin paused, seeming to have trouble speaking. Kyungsoo anticipated his next move, watching his plump lips slightly open. 

"I may even have you in my arms after this."

A heavy sigh flew from his lips after saying the last of his mind. It was a nice feeling to have let everything out, but there was still the reaction phase; the part he hasn't really been looking forward to in fear of being rejected. Again. By the same person. 

Looking up from his twiddling thumbs, Kyungsoo was staring straight into Jongin's eyes that were coated with fresh tears, but unwilling to fall. 

"I won't accept your apology." Kyungsoo said, startling Jongin. "Because you shouldn't be saying sorry."

"Kyungsoo, you know I have to say sorry. It's best for both of us."

"What if it's not the best? It's not the best for me, I can tell you that. I just..."

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows at the way the smaller boy suddenly stopped talking. He seemed too bothered to speak anymore, merely turning away to watch the passing cars along the road. 

"I just want to stop fighting so I can be in your arms." Kyungsoo admitted with false pride, still allowing the embarrasment in his eyes show. "Like you said."

Without hesitation, Jongin's first move was walking up to Kyungsoo, and wrapping long yet gentle arms around his waist. The older didn't flinch or pull away, for he was expecting the gesture. He wrapped his own arms around the taller figure against his body, the tears filling up at the corners of his eyes now falling freely, this time much more than before. 

Jongin closed his eyes, taking in the warmth of the sudden embrace. 

"I'm sorry." He apologized once more.

Kyungsoo sniffled against his shoulder, and whispered a quiet 'shut up' before breaking the contact. 

"Let's not say sorry anymore." He insisted.

Jongin, who was slightly bothered by how quickly they had split, sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck and nodded in genuine agreement. 

"Okay."

Kyungsoo shoved his hands into the shorts he wore; he forgot about the harsh weather until now. Although the sky was still blanketed over with a thick layer of snow clouds, nothing fell. Only the snow from the day before could be seen, which was melting away as the clouds slowly thinned out. 

The shivering boy continued his way back alone to the apartment complex, not saying anything. He could hear Luhan directly behind him. Although he and Jongin had made up, or at least he felt like they did, that didn't mean that he was in any mood to talk to him, regardless of how much Jongin meant to Kyungsoo. It was a safer route to not be so clingy; Kyungsoo was already having trust issues with this whole ordeal. The last thing he needed after this was a broken heart. 

"Are you okay?" A flurry of worries questions hit him while walking into the lobby. Baekhyun brought his friend into a delicate hug, neglecting the aching and burning pain striking harshly across his lower waist. Chanyeol stayed close behind him incase he were to fall. 

Letting out a heavy sigh, Kyungsoo nodded. He looked back, and Jongin was walking slowly towards them. 

"Yeah. I'm fine." The boy turned away from the sight. "I'm sorry for causing such a huge commotion. Let's get back."

"Kyungsoo, you're rather pale. Are you sure about being okay?" Yixing's expression went from surprise to uncertainty. 

"I can assure you, I'm as good as new. Never been better." His response was clearly a lie, but it was somewhat effective. The other's stopped asking questions, and followed their friend back to the room. 

"Poor guy." Chanyeol whispered into Baekhyun's ear, bringing him close. "Do you know anything that'll make him better?"

Baekhyun shook his head. 

"No. Miyoung is probably the best medicine for him right now. I can't guarantee that-ah!" The injured boy winced as he walked up the steps, feeling the pain grow stronger by the second. He bent down to try and relieve it. 

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol immediately came to his boyfriend's aid, carrying his upper body back up with both arms. It was until another pair of arms appeared beside his, also helping Baekhyun back up to his feet. They were strongly built, tan and not too muscular. 

Looking up, Jongin stood behind Baekhyun's slightly slouched structure with a saddened look. 

"Jongin?" Luhan called out, after watching Baekhyun struggle. Jongin simply walked past the older boy and past Yixing, who was equally confused. 

"You left me." The tanned figure grumble under his breath at Kyungsoo, who stepped back. 

"I'm sorry. I just wanted ti-"

"Don't say sorry anymore. That was your rule, am I right?"

Kyungsoo's eyes widened. He forgot his own rule. 

"Yeah. Yeah, I forgot. Sorry."

Jongin glanced at him with a strange expression. It was difficult to read. 

"I mean- I'm not sorry. Forget it." Kyungsoo breathed out, leaning against the stair railing to allow Jongin to walk up first. The younger boy did in fact walk past, leaving a shiver of cold air to wash over the other. 

As soon as all boys reached the room, Jongin was the first to walk in, promptly removing his shoes and instantly walking over to the center of the living room, watching everyone else enter. Miyoung scratched at his legs for attention, but he ignored her. 

Kyungsoo caught note of the chocolate bars Luhan had given him earlier, as they were simply resting on the kitchen counter. Grabbing the milk chocolate with a trembling hand, he waddled cutely over to Jongin. The taller male strangely looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. 

"For you." Kyungsoo brought the chocolate treat up to the other's face. 

Jongin was both shocked and pleased. It wasn't everyday someone offered him such, and although he had been trying to avoid eating the delicacy in attempt to avoid growing blemishes on his face, Kyungsoo's offer was never to be denied. With two respectful hands, he gladly took the decorated bar and smiled. 

"Oh-Thank you." He stammered, looking down and Kyungsoo's now content face. 

From the doorway as Luhan waited for Yixing and Chanyeol succesfully help Baekhyun inside, he watched the two exchange sweet smiles. They were genuine, but although Luhan usually felt happy at seeing people smile, he was unsure of how to feel about the duo making up. 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun clung like a koala onto Chanyeol's long arm, laughing at his behavior. Yixing chuckled to himself while standing behind the silly couple. 

"Don't get ahead of yourselves." He exclaimed, earning a small nudge against his chest from Baekhyun. 

"You'll be like this when you get your own relationship."

Yixing thought deeply about Junmyeon immediately. His face flushed, only to be tinted with a pretty rose shade. A smile grew, and his eyes went to stare into space. 

Chanyeol instantly understood Yixing's feelings towards his friend, but kept quiet. A mischievous grin appeared on his face, a million thoughts running though his mind. 

"We should go out somewhere." Luhan interrupted everyone with his excited voice surprising all who heard. 

Kyungsoo turned away from Jongin's gaze and shook his head. 

"Oh no. I should get to work." He insisted, already starting to reach for his uniform. Jongin and Luhan frowned, only to have Yixing help Kyungsoo into his attire and Baekhyun and Chanyeol get cozy on the couch, admiring each other's presence. 

"But your able to avoid today right? Didn't your boss say it was okay?"

"Yeah, but this job is my passion. This is my first time missing out." Kyungsoo glanced at the clock. "It's already 10." He wasn't lying, but he wasn't being exactly truthful either. Being around Jongin was much too awkward at the moment, his job being the only excuse to get away.

Jongin sighed heavily, afraid that he wouldn't be able to convince him to stay. Luhan merely pursed his lips and looked down. Both boys were facing Kyungsoo with their sad body language painfully obvious. 

"Why are you guys so upset?"

"Because we don't want you to go. Isn't it obvious?"

Yixing smiled at the way the others wanted Kyungsoo to stay. He carefully helped the small boy with the gold buttons along his stomach and his wrists. 

"You're so grown up now. Where have the years gone?" The blonde changed the subject with his sweet demeanor. Kyungsoo shyly smiled. 

"Don't say that. It'll make me sad."

"I remember when you and Baekhyun were so little. Because he was a year older than you, the time he left elementary school for junior high was probably one of the saddest moments of your life. You wouldn't stop crying. Your mom had to have me come over to reassure you that you would see each other again, only to have you throw up on me from all the sobbing." Yixing began to laugh softly at the memory. Kyungsoo shyly closed his eyes, hoping that the others hadn't heard. 

"Okay hyung, we know how much you want to embarrass me. But I really have to go now. You'll stay here with Baekhyun, right?"

"Of course. I'll drive you first." Yixing stood up and grabbed the nearby keys resting on the kitchen counter. It was until Jongin stood up directly after, pausing the blonde from making his way to the door. 

"No! Wait, it's fine. I'll drive Kyungsoo."

"Are you sure about that? Do you know where to go?" Yixing sent a look at Kyungsoo, questioning the sudden offer. The other smirked. 

"Definitely." Jongin strolled casually over to Kyungsoo, ignoring his pounding chest. Kyungsoo nervously swallowed. 

"Yixing can drive me. It's not too far."

"I'm paying Yixing back. For taking care of you and Baekhyun."

"I think I'll just walk like I usually do. Thanks though."

Kyungsoo was about to walk out the door, but was gently pulled back before his shivering hand came in contact with the doorknob. He let out a cry of fear until he found himself looking up at Jongin's blank face, body leaning slightly backwards, depending on Jongin's arm strength to prevent it from falling. 

"No you're not. It's a dangerous area." The younger narrowed his eyes in disapproval, knowing that Kyungsoo wasn't easy to convince. 

"Yeah I am. I've been walking for quite a while now."

"But not alone. I'm going to drive you."

"Time is ticking Kyungsoo. You should choose now if you want to arrive earlier." Yixing chimed in, tapping the glass of his watch. 

"...I'll just walk." Kyungsoo spoke for the last time, then forcefully but softly left from Jongin's arms out the door. Jongin followed, ignoring Yixing's questions that echoed through the door until it was so rudely shut. 

The younger sheepishly stuffed his sweating hands into his pockets before speaking. 

"Are you trying to avoid me?" He bitterly asked, forgetting his apology regarding his harsh attitude the other. Kyungsoo turned around, only now realizing that the tanned boy decided to tag along. He eyebrows furrowed in both confusion and annoyance. 

"No. I just want to walk." Kyungsoo spat, not regretting the rude tone. 

"Really?" Jongin shuffled beside the shorter, looking down at his dark hair that bounced within each step taken. "Doesn't seem like you do."

The older male exhaled heavily, then noticed Jongin's nervous body language. Hands in pockets, shaking voice, strange lip movement. It almost looked like a joke, maybe it would be a little fun to mess around with him. 

"Nope. I just want to walk."

As the two stepped outside, neither reacted to the winter gale blasting against their bodies. Jongin was nicely covered, complete with a charming coat, whereas Kyungsoo wore only his uniform, which wasn't much of a help against the wind. 

"Why? Are you trying to kill yourself?" The taller cocked an eyebrow as he removed his coat and wrapped it around Kyungsoo. 

"It could be warmer. But I now that when it gets hot, I'll miss the cold. That's why I'm enduring it now." Kyungsoo shed out of the coat and returned it to it's rightful owner. Jongin reluctantly accepted it after understanding. 

"I never thought of it like that."

"You're probably too young to understand."

"Me? I'm pretty sure I'm older than you. If anything, you're the equivalent of a garden gnome."

Kyungsoo scoffed at the remark. 

"I'd like to protest." He said, matter-of-factly, holding up a finger. "January 12th. 20."

Jongin's eyes grew wide. 

"I'm on the 14th. Wow, small world. You're older than me by a year." He shyly looked down, upset that he had been so confidently proved wrong by the person he had least expected to do so. 

"Then what is someone like you doing in the buisness world? You should be out in school, enjoying the things about not having to work. Why would you put all that responsibility on you at such an age?"

"It's always good to get a head start. Even though I don't get as many privileges as Luhan or Chanyeol do, I think I can survive until I finally earn my own place. Besides, my dad would never approve of me doing anything else." Jongin shrugged, pleasantly pleased that he was given the chance to talk about himself. 

Kyungsoo thought for a moment. Jongin's dad was much like his. 

"You shouldn't let your dad get in the way of doing the things you want to do. Especially if it's a true passion. Don't let him ruin that."

"Well you know." The younger looked down, shoving his hands deeper into his pockets. "Not everything is going to go your way. You learn from that."

"Why are you so negative? How could your dad possibly get in the way of doing something you love?" Kyungsoo didn't mean it, but his response came out much more callous and bleak than he had intended. He slapped his hand over his lips and refused to look up. 

Jongin laughed lightly at the other's demeanor, sighing in deep thought afterwards. He has never felt so comfortable.

"I kind of owe my dad."

Kyungsoo paused. 

Am I getting too personal? 

"We don't have to talk about it. I don't want to bother you about your past."

Jongin shook his head in disapproval.

"It's fine. I think I'm okay with telling you." He could feel Kyungsoo's stare but didn't look back, for he was far too nervous. 

Before he could begin, the two had already reached their destination. They both had no idea how long they had been so intrigued by each other's words. Kyungsoo's expression saddened. 

"Oh. We're here." The doe eyed boy glumly looked up at the restaurant's luxurious structure. Jongin nodded. 

"Right. I'll get going then." He began to turn around on his heel, but a small hand suddenly clutched harshly around his stiffened wrist. Looking directly in front of him, Kyungsoo stared into his eyes. His lips were quivering, but not to the point where he would cry. His hair blew delicately through the wind, making Jongin melt at the spot. 

"I think I'd rather listen to your story."

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------

Huah

Chapter I forgot is up. 

I think I've been focusing on this fanfiction a lot more lately than my other ones. Probably because this has a better conflict to me than the other two that I somehow wrote without shame. 

Anyways, thanks for reading. 

I will show more Baekyeol in the next chapter. The time in this story is very slow; correct me if I'm wrong but the couples have known each other for at least a day. 

Is Luhan jealous of Kaisoo? Hmm.. you decide. Does Yixing have a major crush of Junmyeon? Lol yes. Well Taemin find his true love? Hell yeah. Your looking at a hardcore 2min shipper.