Six

Art of Culinary Expression

It didn't take long for Baekhyun to wash up and dry. As soon as he felt clean, Chanyeol helped him into his bed with a large t-shirt and shorts on to make him feel more comfortable.

Kyungsoo stopped asking questions, and instead clutched onto Jongin's arm with saddened eyes. Jongin held him close, trying his best to keep him from crying. 

"Get some sleep." Chanyeol said, Baekhyun's hair back. 

"But it hurts.." The frail boy hiccuped.

"Please. For me."

Baekhyun swallowed, then nodded. He closed his eyes, letting his long eyelashes sway. 

"Stay with me." He whispered, finding Chanyeol's hand and squeezing it tight.

"I know. I won't leave unless you want me to." The younger held on tighter. "When you wake up, you'll only see me."

Baekhyun stirred, then smiled, eyes still closed. The beautiful smile finally showed, and it was a ray of hope. 

"Thanks."

 

 

 

~

 

 

Kyungsoo bit his fingernails outside of his best friend's room, pacing the floor. Jongin would continuously tell him to cut it out, but he would be ignored. 

Yixing stood by the doorway, trying to explain the only little bit of Baekhyun's incident that he had witnessed to authorities. Since he wasn't present when the man was around, there was no telling how he looked unless Chanyeol and Baekhyun allowed themselves to tell the police. Unfortunately, they refused, and stayed in the room. 

Luhan arrived not too long after, for he was worried at the sight of police going up to their room. He insisted on helping out in the situation, although he wasn't there during the incident. 

"They won't tell me anything." Kyungsoo explained, running his fingers through his hair. "Chanyeol just came home with Baekhyun, and he had nothing on. He kept saying that it hurt."

"Where are they now?"

"They're in Baekhyun's room."

"May we enter?"

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes and glanced at Jongin, who nodded slightly. 

"Yeah. Sure." He ushered the two policemen to Baekhyun's door, then opened only a small crack so only he could look inside. 

They had both fallen asleep, hand in hand. Chanyeol sat on the floor with his head resting beside his lover's stomach. 

"They're sleeping right now."

"That's fine. In the mean time, let them get their rest. Make sure to notify us when they wake up. The sooner we catch the guy, the better."

Jongin pulled Kyungsoo away, opening the door for the two. 

"Thank you. We'll be sure to do that." He rushed them out, then closed the door. 

"Are they okay?" Luhan stood as soon as they were for sure gone. Yixing nodded. 

"Yeah. But Baekhyun has to go to the hospital some time soon."

Kyungsoo jumped at the word. He shook his hands and head. 

"No! Baekhyun hates the hospital. You can't pay him to go!"

"We have to make sure he's okay. Just because he seems fine now doesn't he will be later."

The boy didn't speak any further. Everyone knew that it was best for him to go and get examined, no matter how much he didn't want to. He was yet to know, so Kyungsoo settled on telling him the day they go, although it could be whenever.

Jongin bit his lower lip. 

"He'll be okay Kyungsoo."

The small boy twitched at the comment. What respect was Jongin looking for? No one knew how badly affected Baekhyun would get after an unforgettable incident. The candy that lined Baekhyun's heart had shattered again; regardless of how recently it had been replaced. He had a hard time staring reality in the face, right before it blew him away with one mere painful punch. Kyungsoo would know. They both knew. 

He knew better than to speak his mind directly. Looking at Jongin now, he began to wonder why he made any contact with him at all, thinking he would feel better in his arms. Instead of spilling his thoughts, his eyes sent a rude gaze at Jongin's own. 

"Kyung?" He would ask, surprised that he felt nervous over a simple stare. 

Kyungsoo struggled to avert his eyes, but still did so before walking off, outside into the frigid weather. Jongin knew very well he wouldn't survive out there with such clothing, and went to chase after him. 

He wasn't on the stairs. He wasn't in the lobby. Kyungsoo was outside, barefoot, sulking and arms wrapped around him, trying to shield himself from the wind that blew harshly against his pale face. Jongin walked towards him. 

"What are you doing?" He asked, the question flying out so quickly it sounded toxic. 

The older male didn't turn back. His eyes were focused on the clouds that closed in on the area, obvious that it was bound to snow. Spring was seemingly late. 

"Nothing." He finally spoke, shivering as the wind grew stronger.

Jongin cocked an eyebrow. 

"It doesn't look like nothing. Let's go back in, you'll freeze to death."

"I'm thinking right now."

"Kyungsoo please."

Kyungsoo turned around. 

"Jongin please." The boy mocked. "I don't see everything through a rose glass like you do."

Jongin felt his heart sink dramatically. Baekhyun getting hurt really did affect him, but he wanted to be there to comfort the older. Unfortunately, Kyungsoo showed no feeling when he was around him. When he hugged Jongin in order to seek comfort, it didn't mean anything. 

Starting into his large eyes, he noticed that they were glazed over. Was he crying?

"Don't cry.."

"I'm not crying." Kyungsoo hissed, then turned back. Jongin could feel his desire to feel alone, then started to walk back, head down. 

Why couldn't Kyungsoo just give a chance? What did Jongin do that was so wrong to him? If only he had the courage and confidence to ask these questions, maybe he could breath easier. 

Inside, the building still felt cold. Kyungsoo's remark really took a toll on him. 

"Jongin?" He heard from the corner, turning around thinking that it was Kyungsoo. Unfortunately, Luhan creeped from the edge of the wall in front of him with a worried expression. "Is everything okay?" His motherly side began showing.

"I don't know." The younger was honest. There was no reason to hide his feelings from his friends, after all, Luhan already knew about his feelings towards the doe-eyed boy. 

He felt an arm fall around his shoulders. 

"Let's leave him alone. It must be hard to have to know what happened to his best friend."

"I just want to help."

"I know kid." Jongin smiled at his nickname. "But Kyungsoo is a frail boy. Who knows what he's been through." Luhan carefully watched the small figure outside wipe his face every now and then. So he was crying. 

"I thought he actually liked me.."

"Agh. Don't be like that. Just because your last one didn't work out, doesn't mean this one won't. But not everyone is the same, and you have to remember that. I think knowing someone's past is crucial in a relationship, only so you can relate to them easier. Kyungsoo is just smarter when it comes to dating people, hence the reason why you need to give him space. He'll think you're taking advantage of him. What would you do if I were in Baekhyun's place?"

Jongin thought for some time. It was hard to put himself in another's place, especially someone that despised him. 

"I would.. probably hate myself."

Luhan blankly stared. 

"Wow. I'm seriously flattered but the direction your going in isn't exactly what I was looking for. But it's fine. Practice makes perfect." He ruffled his friend's hair, his small lips curving in a cute grin. "We have to get back. Junmyeon just called."

The younger's smile faded away. 

"But Kyungsoo.."

Luhan let out a heavy sigh. Looking at Kyungsoo, he did seem quite frail. 

"Let's get him inside. I hate to say it, but we have to get Chanyeol too." As soon as he spoke, his tanned friend rushed outside, ignoring what he had said. 

Through the glass, it was hard not to focus on his reflection, but Luhan was able to get a rather clear sight of the scene outside. Jongin clamped onto the smaller's arm, which was whipped back out of irritation. He tried to take it back several times, but was constantly met with the same conclusion. 

Snow began falling from the sky, landing in tiny specks onto their dark hair. Kyungsoo still stood in the same spot, Jongin failing in his attempts to grab his attention. 

Luhan finally made his way outside to confront the two. 

"You guys?" The Chinese worryingly trudged through the slippery ground, squinting his eyes to shield them from the weather. The duo ignored him. 

"Kyungsoo." Jongin repeated. "Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo." His deep voice was strangely monotone; it usually was a natural melody sort of tone, but this time it was cold and emotionless. 

Kyungsoo didn't speak, until the moment he broke down. His small body shrunk down, his knees hitting the cold ground and hands hiding the crying face. Only short whimpers could be heard, but it was an obvious sign that he was crying. 

Jongin bent down to lift him back up, only to have Kyungsoo fall back, this time onto his behind. Luhan came into aid the second time, succesfully being able to lift him up without struggle. Fortunately, Kyungsoo did not put up a fight of any sort, and instead fell into a limp position, using Luhan's shoulder as an aid. Jongin could tell that Kyungsoo didn't want any physical contact with him. 

Jongin and Luhan were able to manage Kyungsoo's rather light weight up to his room, where Yixing stood dumbstruck at the sight. 

"What's going on?" The blonde became wide eyes within seconds, making his way over to Kyungsoo who fell into his waiting arms.

"I think we all know what happened." Luhan flashed a genuine smile, trying to lighten the mood. He slipped out a thin stack of checks from his back pocket and handed the papers to Yixing. "Buy yourselves a nice meal. We have to go right now, but make sure to call when Baekhyun wakes up, that way the police can gather a little more information. This is all I can do for right now" The oldest slipped into Baekhyun's room. 

Chanyeol was fully on the bed now, directly behind Baekhyun. Although the other was faced away, Chanyeol still wrapped arms around his waist. They were both fast asleep. 

"Chanyeol.." Luhan creeped in closer and tapped his friend's leg, that twitched at the contact. "Chanyeol."

Chanyeol groaned, and stirred, but still didn't wake up. He instead scrunched closer to the small body curved against his. Luhan chuckled. 

"Chanyeol, you're not a heavy sleeper. Junmyeon called. We should get going."

"..I'm staying."

"We have to go. This meeting means a lot to your dad."

Another groan. This time, the loud growl made Baekhyun clutch onto the sheets and squeeze his eyes closer together. 

"Hey. Don't wake him up. Just quietly slip out of the bed, and I promise we'll be back before your little guy wakes up."

"Forget it. I promised I wouldn't leave." Chanyeol slowly sat up, throwing a glare at his friend. Luhan grimaced. 

"And you also promised to be present at this meeting. Do you have any idea how much we've been risking since the past month?"

"Not enough."

"Bull. Park Chanyeol, we have to go." He hated to use such a foul vocabulary; profanity wasn't exactly his type. "And we can't take Baekhyun. He needs to sleep."

"I said no!" Chanyeol barked, causing Baekhyun to twitch and open his bloodshot eyes. 

"Wha-" The boy blinked rapidly, looking around. The other two shot looks at each other. 

"No. Baekhyun, go back to sleep." Luhan inched closer to the foot of the bed. Unfortunately, the golden haired boy shook his head. 

"I'm fine. Did.. something happen?"

Chanyeol breathed heavily and eyed down his partner. 

"Nothing happened."

"Don't be like that Chanyeol." Luhan sternly gritted his teeth together and stained his hands. 

"I'm not being like anything."

"I'll tell him myself."

The tall boy froze, and turned to face Baekhyun. He was still quite shaken from the incident, with his eyes glistening like they were earlier. His hair was still stringy and wet, leaving a damp spot on the sheets. 

"I.."

"Are you okay?" The tired boy pursed his lips and looked deeper into the other's golden eyes in search for anything wrong. 

"Baekhyun.. I have to go."

"..What?"

Chanyeol frowned. 

"Not go as in leave you. I just have some work to do. I know I promised to stay with you, but.."

Baekhyun was expressionless but nodded in some sort of approval. 

"You can go."

"But then I promised that I'd stay..."

"Chanyeol, I'm fine. Look, I'm not outside anymore. There's no one in here to hurt me."

"I know, but even with your approval I couldn't forgive myself if I left." 

"It's okay. It's not like you're leaving forever, right?" Baekhyun assured the younger with a flashy smile and crescent eyes. Chanyeol cracked a small grin, but it read certainty. 

"O-Okay." He stood up from the bed as Baekhyun sat up in the process. Luhan bid a brief goodbye and walked out, knowing that Chanyeol would come out eventually. 

"Don't push yourself when you need to get up. Call me if anything happens."

"I know. Now go. Thanks for staying with me."

Chanyeol stood still, staring into his lover's eyes. Without hesitation he pulled the small body towards his own, and very delicately pecked their lips together. The kiss wasn't animalistic, like a never ending slobber against each other. It was short, but still worth the contact. Both boys felt energy rush through them as soon as they pulled apart. 

Baekhyun grew a light shade of pink, as well as for Chanyeol, who shyly rushed out with only a very quiet 'bye' before leaving. Luckily, no one was hurt by the sudden rush. Baekhyun smiled and touched his lips with his pinky finger, falling backwards into the warm half of the bed that Chanyeol slept on. 

Outside, Kyungsoo sat on the couch, hand against eyes. He wasn't someone to let others see him cry. Yixing his hair lovingly, which took a great affect on his crying, leveling it down to sniffles every now and then. Jongin didn't approve of the contact, but knew that it was smarter to leave it alone than get in the way of something necessary. 

Chanyeol was wearing a guilty grin on his flushed face, something no one asked about because they already knew the answer would include Baekhyun. Luhan spent time tying his shoelaces as perfectly as possible. 

"I wrote our numbers on a notepad on the fridge. Remember to call if anything happens." The eldest grunted, trying to push his foot into the remaining shoe. "We'll be back if that's okay with you." He looked up hoping that Kyungsoo would approve, but he did nothing. Only Yixing nodded. 

"That's fine. Thank you. You know, for everything." The shy blonde stood up to bow respectfully.

"It was nothing. Okay Jongin, Chanyeol, let's go. Who knows what Junmyeon would do this time if we're late again."

Jongin walked up to Kyungsoo hunched body before proceeding to leave. He very slowly placed a hand on his shoulder, only to have it smacked away as soon as his fingertip brushed against the lint of his shirt. The feeling that radiated through him was unpleasant, and it hurt a lot. He drew a frown, and nodded, understanding that Kyungsoo just wanted to be alone. Or maybe just with anyone without the name Kim Jongin. 

"I-I'm going now." The younger boy spoke looking down. "We'll be back okay?"

No response. 

"Bye Kyungsoo." Jongin sighed, then followed the giddy Chanyeol out the door. 

Yixing closed the door when all three were out. He glanced at Kyungsoo, who wasn't his face anymore. Unfortunately, his eyes were still red and puffy from the tears. 

"I think you should get some sleep." The blonde suggested, Kyungsoo nodding at his suggestion. 

"Is Baekhyun okay?"

"Of course. He's strong, we both know that."

Kyungsoo staggered to his friend's room and peeked inside. Baekhyun was curled up against the sheets; they had been rolled up into a human length. He was happily hugging the soft material, facing away from the door but still making it plainly obvious that he was content. 

"Kyungsoo?" Yixing called out. The dark haired boy snapped back, met with Yixing and a cup of warm milk in hand. "This is for you."

"Oh. Thank you." Kyungsoo took the small cup with two hands, sipping timidly. 

"Are you and Jongin a thing?" The question was suddenly asked, causing the younger boy to shoot the milk in his mouth back into the cup. He turned his head in a robot like fashion towards Yixing.

"H-huh?"

"Oh. My bad. I shouldn't have asked." Yixing have his eye smile on embarrasment. 

Kyungsoo blinked rapidly, the memories of him hugging Jongin, crying against Jongin, gluing himself to Jongin. It wasn't a bad feeling, but it was close to what people called a guilty pleasure. In his head, Jongin was a playboy, so he deserved no contact with anyone. 

"W-We're not a thing."

"Ah. I see."

"Why?" Kyungsoo was afraid to ask, but did so anyway, trying to keep his voice kind and not callous. 

"It just looks like it. I mean, Baekhyun and Chanyeol are a thing. I figured you would be in a relationship too.. unless it's with Luhan."

"No! No, no. I don't have any relationship."

Yixing laughed genuinely, his dimples emphasizing the happiness. 

"I understand. They're so cool though. It feels like I'm in a drama."

"Well, I hope the drama ends happily for you." Kyungsoo set down his now empty cup, and walked over to the refrigerator to get more milk. Just like Luhan had said, three numbers have been scribbled onto the small notepad. He had drawn a cute heart at the bottom and some words that read 'get well soon' beside it. Kyungsoo smiled at the playfulness Luhan possessed. 

"Thank you." He whispered, then removed the paper from the notepad, carefully inserting into his pocket. 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes finally. 

Chapter 6 has arrived. 

It's a little longer than my other chapters, and hopefully they get longer throughout. If you're like me, I like long chapters, lol. 

Subs and votes are very much appreciated. ♡