Eleven

Art of Culinary Expression

"..My mom was so pushy. It all started when my dad started to take out all his stress from work by drinking. I think I was twelve then. People say it's not a tender age where child neglect can affect the child greatly, and they were kind of right. Everytime he came home drunk to yell at me and my mom while my sisters were away, all I could think of was dancing. I depended on dancing to get my mind off of things, and I kept it a secret from my parents for so long. As soon as they found out after seeing my with my friend Sehun together at our school's dance studio, they insisted that I be taken out so I can focus on the art of buisness, rather than waste my time with Sehun. I left him soon after, only to end up having me feel lifeless without the kid by my side; I asked him out. He said yes, and we both made sure that none of our parents found out about the relationship." Jongin spoke deeply, sitting comfortably in his woven chair inside the classy coffee shop, Kyungsoo sitting directly in front of him, all ears and a content expression on his pale face. Aside from the loud chatter surrounding the two, they both seemed very focused on only each other, making the conversation much more meaningful rather than just your average day out. 

"After my parents found out about my passion for dance, I had no idea that I was being followed. They hired two men to follow me throughout my days, where I had been secretly meeting up with Sehun after he was out of school. My parents decided that I couldn't be trusted any further, which resulted in my early promotion in buisness. Luckily, I was able to get my own living space this way, not to mention my own life. It was a lot off my back when the opportunity came to leave the house. Everyone was happy."

Kyungsoo gave a saddened look at the story. His hands shook as he reached for his coffee cup, and struggled to lift it up without the fear of dropping the delicate glass. 

"Sorry." The older apologized, looking down, only now realizing how afraid he seemed. "I'm usually not like this. It must be your story."

Jongin chuckled at his greatly his story affected the other, and leaned back in his seat. 

"Thanks. For choosing me over your job." A smirk formed on his full lips. Kyungsoo nodded with a blank expression. 

"Oh, of course. But it is time I get back. I had a great time with you today Jongin. It would be nice to do this again someday. 

The younger sadly accepted his friend's passion for his job, and proceeded to stand up. Kyungsoo also stood up, waiting patiently for Jongin to return back into his coat. As the two walked out, they noticed that the wind had settled down, making the atmosphere much more calm. Kyungsoo smiled and breathed in the fresh hair, spreading out his arms to relax his stiff body from having been motionless for some time. Jongin mocked his actions with a wider grin, only to have a small fist hit against his head. A pained cry flew from his lips. 

"You brat. You're not my shadow." Kyungso joked, hitting the other again softly. Jongin stopped the fist while laughing. 

"But you have a good taste in relief. I really needed to do that." He explained, letting go then walking ahead. Kyungsoo quickly followed behind, his waddling making Jongin chuckle. 

"Are that eager to have me go? Why are you walking so fast?" Kyungsoo confronted him, faking a disappointed look. 

"Sorry. I'm just really happy that I had a chance to open up to someone for a chance." 

"It's nothing. You probably think I'm really quiet at times, but I'm just a good listener. I'm thankful that you were willing to talk."

Jongin drew closer to the older boy, placing a strong hand on his shoulder and startling him. 

"See? Hanging out with me isn't bad." 

The two enjoyed small talk with each other as they slowly took their time walking to the restaurant. It was until their joy was interrupted by a loud call. A deep voice. The vice was very distinct, it could be none other than Park Chanyeol. 

Much to their surprise, he was running at full speed towards them, screaming 'Kyungsoo' at the top of his lungs. There was no telling what was to happen next, where the taller instantly grabbed Kyungsoo with both arms and grunting as soon as they came into contact. He hugged the smaller boy while tugging at his uniform, only to have Jongin pull him off with an irritated expression. 

"What are you doing?!" He yelled out in anger, holding his dear friend by the collar. Chanyeol managed to escape from the grip with a stressed whine. 

"We have to go. We can't leave him out here like this."

"Chanyeol, what the hell are you talking about?"

Chanyeol took his own grip at Jongin, bringing their faces close together and staring into his eyes without even thinking of blinking. 

"Kim Jongin, we are going to go right now." He growled, causing his friend to slowly back away. Jongin looked at Kyungsoo, who cowered at the sudden gesture from Chanyeol. Although he didn't know what the situation was, this was no right time to ask. The younger reached out a hand to the doe-eyed boy, and gently neared towards him. 

"Let's go." He said. Kyungsoo neglected the hand, but instead grabbed his wrist. Chanyeol looked around, then told the two to follow him as he bolted throughout the area, paying pedestrians eyeing him oddly. His hair flew around wildly within each turn.

Chanyeol could feel his sanity being slowly eaten away. If Baekhyun lost Kyungsoo, who knows how he would be affected; same as for Jongin. He deeply wished that time stopped suddenly, where only he was given the ability to move. Until reality hit him in the face, Chanyeol struggled to figure out his next move. 

"We're going to go to a hotel. I don't care what you have to do, whether it be work or a funeral. We're all staying at Junmyeon's hotel until I give the okay." He finally spoke, his breath becoming more steady. Kyungsoo immediately winced at the order, and protested with wide eyes. 

"This job is my life. Whatever it is that's bothering you, I'm going to go to work regardless." His voice was courageous, and Jongin liked that. A smirk grew on the younger's face. 

"I'm sorry. But this is for your own good. Stop by your place and gather everything you need." Chanyeol turned away before the smaller could speak any further, leaving him boiling with anger and confusion. Jongin stood closely behind him, scared of why his friend was being so secretive. He never had anything to hide, at least not often, so seeing Chanyeol in such a manner was raising flags. 

The three walked back to the apartment complex, where two cops and Yixing waited patiently. They were standing around Jongin's car, which he had forgotten about parking illegally in the handicap space. He let out a stressed groan ands proceeded to explain as one of the policemen set a ticket on the window. 

"Is this your car sir?" The taller policeman asked. He was handsome, with dark hair and a fierce expression that fit him very well. His eyebrows furrowed as Jongin hissed in annoyance at the question. 

"Yes. This is my car." He grumbled, looking him straight in the eye. 

"May I take a look at your license?"

It took a moment until Jongin reluctantly took out his wallet and removed the license from the pocket, handing it over to the policeman. He took a quick look at the license before returning it and nodding.

"You do understand why you were given the ticket, right sir?"

"Yes. I'm very aware of it."

"Great. We'll be on our way." The policeman smirked and gave Yixing a slight pat on the shoulders as he returned to the police car with his shorter partner, who and fairly intimated by the situation. Jongin rolled his eyes at the cocky manner, then turned approached his car to inspect his ticket. 

A large sigh flew from his lips. 

"He acts like he's all that." Jongin pointed out, grimacing at the fee. Yixing chuckled softly and motioned for Kyungsoo to walk over to him for a brief hug. 

"He's only doing his job." The blonde spoke sweetly, resting Kyungsoo's head on his shoulder. "His name is Wu Yifan. I'm sure you guys would get along fine."

"Yeah right. Hopefully that's the last I see of that smug face." Jongin stuffed the ticket into his back pocket, completely oblivious to how hypocritical his comment came out, regarding his attitude at the moment. He turned to Chanyeol. "So where are we going?"

"What? Are you guys going somewhere?" Yixing questioned, slightly upset that he hasn't known about it sooner. A wave of worry began to fill him up. 

"We're just going to Junmyeon's hotel. There's been a few complications, and I insist that we all go."

"Why? Is there something wrong with living here?"

"It's not that." Chanyeol rubbed his temples, making his way to the apartment building alone as everyone else followed. "I can't explain, so it would be nice if no one were to ask."

Kyungsoo sent a questioning look at Yixing, who shrugged in return. Jongin messily the his hair out of frustration, then caught up to Chanyeol. 

"What is it that you can't tell us?" He asked, purposely allowing his rude tone be heard. Chanyeol could clearly tell that he was annoyed by the fact that nothing was being said, but settled on not saying anything that could give away the dilemma in his hands. He decided to handle it himself, regardless of the consequences.

"Just don't ask."

"Is it about Junmyeon? What happened to him?"

"Nothing!" Chanyeol burst, turning to face his younger friend with a loud two. "Nothing happened! Just do as I say, so no one gets hurt."

Jongin scoffed, but spoke no further. He merely looked down, upset how Chanyeol was suddenly so serious. Kyungsoo did the same, as Yixing gently pet his back, reassuring his small friend that all was okay. 

As they entered the room, Baekhyun and Luhan appeared from the kitchen, both worried about Chanyeol's sudden disappearance.

"Chanyeol?" Luhan said, holding Baekhyun's hand. "Where did you go?"

No response. 

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, watching everyone else enter. He knew Kyungsoo should be at work, whereas Jongin was to return, same for Yixing. For whatever reason, everyone was back. 

"What's going on?"

Kyungsoo shrugged uncomfortably at the question. Chanyeol walked up to his lover, placing his hands on his thin shoulders. 

"Baekhyun, I want you to pack up some clothes for yourself."

"What?" The bright boy let out a nervous laugh. "Why would I need to do such a thing?"

"Please. Just do this one thing for me." Chanyeol spoke in all seriousness. Baekhyun began to protest, but decided not to. He kept quiet, hoping that maybe the other's would know why Chanyeol was acting up suddenly. 

Quietly, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo reluctantly packed up various clothing items ands necessary toiletries in suitcases. Jongin sat in the living room, constantly asking Chanyeol what the problem was, only to be rudely ignored. Luhan silently day on the couch with Miyoung on his lap, discussing what the issue may be with his friend in Chinese, so no one could understand. 

Kyungsoo was the first to come out of the room, struggling to carry his luggage beside the door. 

"You really can't tell us what the problem is?" He asked, looking down. Chanyeol shook his head. His attention was all focused on his cell phone. Baekhyun soon appeared after, grunting as he struggled to roll his suitcase in without taking full steps that could seriously pain him. 

"It would be nice to know Chan.." Chanyeol gave his boyfriend a look, causing him to pause momentarily mid sentence. "..Yeol...." 

"Can we not discuss this right now?" Chanyeol questioned, looking around at the boys surrounding him. Luhan uncomfortably locked his lips and stood up. 

"Let's just go." The oldest allowed Miyoung to jump off of his lap, where she instantly ran to Kyungsoo's side. 

"What about Miyoung?"

Without responding, Chanyeol gruffly stormed out, keys in hand, slamming the door and startling everyone inside. Baekhyun frowned at the way Chanyeol was behaving; he felt as if he was doing something wrong in the relationship. After all, he wasn't very much experienced. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was simply surprised. He hasn't seen such a normally happy boy be so serious.

"What's his deal?" Jongin growled glancing at Luhan, who he thought held the most responsibility for such attitude. The Chinese boy shrugged innocently, providing no evidence that he was involved. 

"Is it okay that you guys go like this?" Luhan asked softly. "I'd hate to have something like this get in the way of your normal life. If I knew what was going on, I'd gladly tell."

Kyungsoo shook his head in reassurance. 

"It's fine. Thank you Luhan." The doe-eyed boy grinned cutely before trudging out of the room while holding Miyoung in his arms. Baekhyun reluctantly followed, head down. Yixing comfortably set a gentle hand on his shoulder and drew closer to his ear. 

"Don't worry Baekhyun. You'll be fine." The handsome male winked, giving the other a reason to smile. He could always depend on his hyung to make him smile. 

Kyungsoo could feel Jongin and Luhan closing in on him. Not that he didn't mind, just he would more likely suspect Jongin of doing such. Looking to his right Luhan stood fairly close, their back hands brushing up against each other every now and then. Jongin was not at all oblivious to them. As they all walked down the stairs, the youngest of the trio began by offering to take Miyoung off the other's hands, suspecting that Luhan was up to no good. Much to his surprise, the doll did not react at all, only continuing to make his way down to the lobby with the straightest face. 

As everyone walked through the glass doors, Chanyeol was already seen with their car, sitting in the driver's seat and expression more serious than ever. He motioned for everyone to enter, until Yixing scurried up first and poked his head through the passenger side window. 

"I have my own car." He stated with what look liked disappointment. Chanyeol nodded.

"You can take your car and follow mine." 

Yixing smiled with thanks, then turned around. 

"Who's going with me?" The blonde asked with bright eyes and dimples deepened. Baekhyun immediately volunteered, hoping that his boyfriend wouldn't mind. Chanyeol simply turned away in attempt to hide his anger at the choice. Jongin and Luhan both glanced at Kyungsoo to see what his choice would be. 

"I want to go with Yixing too." He confessed with guilt piling onto him by the second. Kyungsoo knew extremely well that Jongin had hoped he would go in Chanyeol's car, but that was not the case. 

"Are you sure?" Luhan asked, before anyone else could speak. "You don't want to be with Jongin?"

Kyungsoo cringed that the darling boy thought he and Jongin were a thing. With a quick movement, he instantly shook his head before heading off to Yixing's car. Jongin and Luhan both traded frowns. All their actions note were identical. 

"We'll see you there." Yixing beamed in order to lighten mood, giving a slight wave. He and walked away from the expensive car, leaving the three together alone again. Chanyeol rolled his eyes, motioning for his friends to get in.

Nobody knew the destination except for Chanyeol. He was silent the entire ride, every now and then glancing at his rear view mirror to make sure that Yixing andthe others were safely following. Jongin sat quietly in the back, sending helpless looks towards Luhan. The oldest would simply nod, ignoring the younger boy's fear in hopes of not feeling worried himself. 

In the second vehicle, Yixing would constantly comfort his two friends with reassuring comments. For Baekhyun, they were definitely effective, whereas Kyungsoo couldn't help but question everything happening. His whines were interrupted with Yixing's phone suddenly ringing. 

The blonde tossed the phone to Kyungsoo, who sat in the front seat. He was heavily married to the city's laws that did not allow talking on the phone while driving. The youngest picked it up hesitantly, as if he knew the number already. 

"H-hello?" 

"Yixing? Where the hell are they?"

Kyungsoo swallowed. 

"This isn't Yixing.. Chef. It's Kyungsoo."

"Kyungsoo!" Leeteuk's voice boomed through the device, making the other occupants of the car jump. "I just saw you by the restaurant, and the next thing I know, you're gone! You better have a good excuse."

"My apologies. There were some complications."

"Complications my . Do you have any idea how busy we are? And with Baekhyun already not being able to work, you're the only thing causing problems in this place."

Kyungsoo saddened. It was never his intention to anger the boss that he respected with his own life. He's never seen him so ballistic, seeing such was heart wrenching.

"Chef- I can assure you that I'll be there."

"And how are you going to make me believe that?"

"..I don't know. But you have my word."

Leeteuk growled lowly, then hung up. Most people would think that they would be off the hook after such a feat, but for Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, that only meant a heavier punishment. 

Yixing worryingly glanced at the boy by his side and sighed. 

"You okay?"

"No. I have to work." Kyungsoo showed a side that Baekhyun had only ever seen. Determination. The boy was at most times, shy, and well collected. No one would've guessed that his job could have a great impact on this sort of personality. "I don't care what Chanyeol says, I'm going to work."

"But he'll be angry." Baekhyun said, sadly with the natural whimper built into his voice. His eyes drooped down like a puppy's. 

"I know. But I'm not going to let him get in the way of my job." I'm not going to let that tall, lanky mother er get in the way of my hard as hell occupation, he could earn what we earn in a week in a minute. I don't see that oversized elf doing much care as much as I'm willing to, is what I meant to say. "Stop the car."

Yixing gave his look. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun knew that look. The 'think before you do' look was always a record holder. 

"Kyungsoo.."

"Yixing, please." He restrained himself from being too rude. 

The blonde nodded, surprisingly not seeming as angry as the other had predicted. He pulled along the busy sidewalk, turning on his blinker to indicate the other drivers that he was to remain idle. Kyungsoo nervously hopped out of the car, glad that the restaurant was nearby the stop, and waved. 

"Take care of Miyoung. And tell the others I'll be there strewn I'm free to go. I'll call you."

"Have fun champ." Yixing smiled. Baekhyun waved back, his eye smile brighter than ever. 

"Hurry back Kyungsoo. Miyoung is going to go crazy without you." He weakly joked before Kyungsoo shut the door with a grin. Looking in front of the car, Chanyeol was turning into the parking lot of the restaurant, as they all suspected would happen. Kyungsoo panicked instantly, rushing to his workplace, knowing Leeteuk would keep him in until his shift was over. 

This was going to be a long day. 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------

UGHUHHGUHGHHHUG

School . And I'm fully aware at how uneventful this chapter was presented, and as a reader myself, I too am eager for the fluff. Winky winky. 

I'll try as much as I can to get fluff into the next chapter. 

Excuse any typos, because I'm the only writer. I have no other editors or stuff like that.