Twelve

Art of Culinary Expression

An echo of customers' mellow conversations and silverware hitting against the fine china; Kyungsoo had missed the sounds so desperately, despite how much he hated them before his friend's incident. With a smile on his face, the short boy used all the might in his small legs to walk over to the counter of the restaurant, where chef Leeteuk was busy filling in a list of future reservations. Sweat began to bead along his hairline, for he feared Chanyeol busting through the glass doors suddenly. He had to get into the kitchen, and quick. 

As soon as Kyungsoo came into radius, Leeteuk looked up, face angry as ever. It would be a lie if the younger said he didn't miss the angry eyebrows. 

"Look who's back from the dead." The taller joked, managing to maintain his annoyed expression. The shorter boy grinned cutely. 

"I'm sorry chef. What did I miss?" 

Grabbing the tablet nearby, Leeteuk peered into the kitchen door. 

"We have a new recruit."

"A new recruit? Who would that be?" Kyungsoo eagerly asked. He was always fond of meeting new people that held the same passion as him; he was openly welcome to them, having already experienced his painful share of not being socially accepted.

"He's in the kitchen, washing the dishes. I had him do that until you came to train him the basics of the restaurant."

"Oh? Would you like me to see him now?"

Leeteuk looked at the smaller chef with heavy-lidded eyes and a look that read, 'are you stupid?'. 

"No, I want you to stand here and watch everyone eat." He sarcastically snorted. "Of course I want you to see him, what are you? Three?"

Kyungsoo nervously laughed before slightly raising his arms as if to indicate that he surrendered. He nodded, then rushed into the kitchen before his boss could blow a fuse. 

Looking around, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. All the other workers were silently doing their jobs, until a little fluff of black hair was spotted beside the kitchen sink. Figuring it was the new employee, Kyungsoo eyed him- or her (the new recruit seemed extremely girlish from an angle) from head to toe. The figure was tall, and skinny. Their arms were strong looking, and their shoulders were screaming to breath with the way the chef's uniform hugged a little too tightly on the body frame. 

Kyungsoo cautiously approached his new trainee with wide eyes. 

"H-Hi. Are you new?" He stammered, as the trainee turned gracefully from their duties at the sink. He was a boy, and not just a boy. A handsome boy, his skin like porcelain, eyes sharp like a wolf's, and lips perfectly pink, yet small enough to promote the perfect amount of a feminine elegance in the flawlessly chiseled face. Kyungsoo swallowed hard, feeling a lump form in his throat. Aside from the boy's attractive features, he didn't seem like the nicest person in the world. 

"Yes. Are you here to train me?" He spoke with a deep voice, one that reminded Kyungsoo of Jongin. Nodding slowly, the shorter dilated his pupils. 

"Yeah.. Are you supposed to learn anything specific?"

"No. I'm here to earn a little extra money, so I'm not going to be involved with the cooking part of the restaurant. I'm simply going to be doing the lower level duties, you know. Dishes, trash, clearing tables."

Kyungsoo couldn't stop staring, especially when this boy had such an amazing amount of confidence, regardless of his first day at the job. 

"O-Okay. We'll start with-" Kyungsoo was suddenly paused by a slam directly behind him. Whatever caused it, he knew very well that it had to do with Chanyeol. A stressed yell instantly echoed after the slam, and Leeteuk's voice was equally loud when he shouted an inaudible flurry of words. All the employees inside the kitchen immediately turned their attention to the noise, all wearing scared and confused expressions.

Kyungsoo backed away in fear, eyes wide. His new trainee stood in place as if he wasn't affected at all, despite the look he had. He shifted uncomfortably, trying to peer through the foggy and scratched up glass circle window on the kitchen door to see what was causing the ruckus outside. 

"Sir, you need to leave right now!" Leeteuk shouted, his sentence being followed by a grunt. The trainee stormed out directly in curiosity, only to be suddenly hit in the face by an unsuspecting elbow. He flew back in pain, resulting in his large body falling backwards onto Kyungsoo's, who was struggling to support the weight piled onto his tiny structure. 

"Ah!" Kyungsoo cried, as the nearby co-workers instantly came to their aid. 

"Where's Kyungsoo?" A loud voice shouted, obviously the owner of it being none other than Park Chanyeol. He and Leeteuk were seen in a quarrel into the kitchen, Chanyeol smacking the away the hands that kept trying to grab his wrists. 

In sheer panic, Kyungsoo looked around frantically, until he heard the new trainee yell in surprise. 

"Chanyeol?!" He cried in confusion, hand holding his nose that was mercilessly hit with an elbow. Chanyeol turned sound and paused his mini cat fight. 

"Sehun?! What the hell?"

"You hit my nose." The black-haired boy whimpered, wincing in pain. Kyungsoo gaped. Wasn't Sehun Jongin's ex? 

"You!" Chanyeol pointed at Kyungsoo suddenly. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I-I have to go to work!" Kyungsoo cried, still recovering from the initial shock. Sehun stood up, holding up his available hand at the taller boy. 

"How do you know him??"

"Get the hell out of my restaurant!" Leeteuk barked, interrupting their questions. Chanyeol flinched, and let out a stressed hiss.

"Excuse me, but I'm going to take Kyungsoo from you. Bye now." Chanyeol grabbed the shortest boy by the wrist, only to be rudely stopped by Leeteuk holding up a large hand in front of his face with pursed lips. 

"I don't think so." He growled. "He hasn't been here, and today is one of the busiest days of the week."

"Let me through." Chanyeol lowly hissed. He was intending on taking advantage of his social status to scare the respected chef, but realized how immature it was to do so. He had no other plans now, only the slim chance of Leeteuk letting him through. 

"Chan. Let's not get physical." Sehun gently pulled him back. 

"Don't meddle Sehun. This is none of your concern."

Kyungsoo his lips in determination. 

"Chanyeol, I'm perfectly safe here. Go take care of Baekhyun."

"No! If something happens to you, he and Jongin will be heartbroken."

Sehun felt his whole world pause. Jongin had already moved on to this tiny boy? The black-haired boy wasn't quite ready to let go of his ex, but just finding out about how quickly the other had gotten over their break up was nothing but heart wrenching. He never had the courage to take Jongin back. It wasn't like the tanner would take him back anyways. 

Glancing off to the side after processing what he had just said, Chanyeol felt guilt slowly creep up on him. 

"S-Sehun." He stuttered softly at his dear maknae, who was looking down with eyed glazed over. The boy was so sweet and sensitive, hurting him in any way was the last thing someone would want to do. 

The youthful boy sighed heavily. 

"It's fine. Don't worry about me." He glanced to the side. Kyungsoo's eyes drooped in guilt, whereas Leeteuk weakly punched Chanyeol's broad shoulders with the last bit of strength he had. 

"Out! Out out out!" He repeatedly shouted with his voice cracking every now and then. The taller was not at all affected by the soft hits.

"Piss off!" He scolded, using his large hand to try and shoo the other away. The chef only became more agitated with his resistance, and proceeded to hit his head with a nearby spatula resting along the metal kitchen counter. 

"No!" Leeteuk nagged between blows, significantly pleased by Chanyeol's surrender. "This is my kitchen!"

"Ow! , man, chill out!"

Letting out an offended gasp, Leeteuk began to increase the strength in his hits, whereas Kyungsoo and Sehun stood against the wall with shocked faces. Both were equally surprised with their boss' newly discovered attitude, and Chanyeol's newly discovered soft spot.

"You watch your dirty mouth! How dare you speak such profanity in my restaurant?!" Leeteuk managed to chase the so called intruder out of the kitchen. As the two staggered out, dining customers began to take videos and laugh at the scene. Kyungsoo and Sehun rushed to follow them. 

"Leeteuk, you don't have to be so rough.." The black haired boy stammered timidly. His boss turned to face him with blazing eyes, Kyungsoo being the only to brace for what was to come. His face scrunched up in fear. 

"Leeteuk?" The chef began, as he threateningly pointed the tainted spatula at his new employee. "Oh Sehun, you know better than to call me by my name, don't you?" He closed into the sweating maknae. "You're here to support your family, so you better show up with the most respect, you pathetic bum!"

"I-I apologize...chef.." Sehun sent a hopeless gaze at Chanyeol. 

Leeteuk glanced at Chanyeol. 

"Why are you still here?"

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes, and lifted a finger. 

"Don't talk to him like that." He growled lowly. The older scoffed, then flicked Sehun on the head with a handsome smirk. 

"What? I'm his boss."

"Boss doesn't mean . You should be treating him respectfully." Chanyeol spat, until he noticed a tiny bundle of weight holding onto his arm. Turning to the side, Kyungsoo was clutched onto his arm with a sad expression.

"Chanyeol, don't be like that." The shorter demanded with a shaky voice. Chanyeol shuttered, then slowly turned to face Sehun, who seemed equally afraid within the situation. Everyone else was watching, with phones out and other devices. He had totally forgotten how much the scene could affect his career. 

"..Sorry." The tallest looked down, breathing heavily as the future consequences began to pile onto him more heavily. Sehun placed a hand on his shoulder. 

"Don't worry about it Chan. You should probably go." He gently spoke. Chanyeol shook his head. 

"But I need Kyungsoo. Jongin and Luhan are out waiting- I promised them I'd come back with him."

"Why do you need him so much, huh?" Leeteuk called out, lifting his spatula back up, only to have Kyungsoo take it away from him before any more physical harm could be done.

"It's none of your concern."

"Actually, it is, if you're going to barge into my restaurant and be a disturbance." The chef rolled his eyes before sighing heavily. "Just say, okay? I'm sorry about hitting you."

"It's personal. But if you ever want to see him again, you let me take him."

Sehun walked closer to his friend with a look of worry. 

"Chanyeol, what's going on?"

"I really don't want to involve you in this. Just do your thing, okay? We'll be sure to see you again."

"Chanyeol please.." The youthful boy's eyes drooped down, letting off a very alluring appearance. Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows, feeling indifferent towards the new boy. 

"Sehun, we care about you so much. And because of that, we don't want you to get hurt. It's best that you don't get involved this time, alright?"

"I just want to help-" Sehun was interrupted mid-sentence by the door opening- strong enough to produce a loud, ear piercing screech along the expensive tile floor. Jongin and Luhan stood along the doorway, the tanner figure noticing Sehun's presence first. He was hesitant to move any further, until Luhan became impatient with his friend's sudden pause and decided to force him inside, the two stumbling over to Chanyeol.

"What's going on? Tell me you didn't cause a scene again." Luhan demanded, completely oblivious to Sehun's presence. He looked around, noticing how attached the customers had become to whatever went on before he arrived. 

"Kyungsoo, let's go." Chanyeol said. Leeteuk held up a hand as if he were to hit him again, and let out a low hiss.

"Don't touch him." Leeteuk growled. "Now get out of my restaurant."

"Sir," Luhan began with the upmost care, lifting a hand to avoid any hits flying, slowly moving forward. Leeteuk uncomfortably looked at him, and cocked an eyebrow. "If it isn't too much trouble, we would really like to take Kyungsoo back."

"Too much trouble? He's an executive chef! If he's not here, no one is!" Leeteuk fussed as his arms flailed in the air in anger. His hair bounced gracefully, but his body movements were monstrous. Luhan reached into his pocket, bringing out a significant amount f of yellow bills, hoping that they would come to good use in the situation. Sehun had always told him that money couldn't by everything and Luhan should stop taking advantage of his wealth to get his way, but the older begged to differ. Feeling a wave of guilt wash over him, Luhan stiffly displayed the stack to Leeteuk. 

"Will this do?" He smirked in shame. Leeteuk swallowed. The restaurant was never in debt, or never had any money issues throughout it's existence, but the chef always held an unhealthy greediness inside him. Kyungsoo shook his head at the sight, and gave up hope. 

"Y-You can't bribe me!" Leeteuk stammered, his eyes yet to leave the money. "That's ridiculous!"

Luhan simply looked up at him, maintaining his stance, and grew a larger smile. The charm eventually took an important role in the situation, concluding it with Leeteuk gruffly grabbing the money and storming off to his office. Kyungsoo and Sehun stood in utter shock. 

"Sehun?" Luhan suddenly spoke, only now noticing that the dark haired boy was present, and raised an eyebrow. "What are you doing here?"

"I-I work here."

Luhan scoffed, then glanced at Jongin. He was averting eye contact with anything that moved. It was disappointing sight, of course, but he felt that Sehun was a way to get Kyungsoo. No matter how ridiculous the plan was, Luhan felt that it was somehow right. 

"Let's go Kyungsoo." The Chinese boy spoke. Sehun stepped forward. 

"He's supposed to train me." The young boy stated, Kyungsoo nodding furiously in agreement. 

"He's supposed to go with us." Chanyeol said. 

"But what am I supposed to do here?"

"You can come along, can't you?" Luhan brightly suggested. Kyungsoo immediately shook his head at the idea. 

"No. It's his first day, no one wants to miss that." The doe-eyed boy insisted, and gritted his teeth together. Sehun pet his head cutely. 

"I'm going to go with my hyungs." The maknae said in delight, and began to make his way to the door. Kyungsoo gaped at how quickly the trainee was able to just merely walk off from his responsibilities. 

Chanyeol, clearly agitated with Luhan's idea, turned to his older friend, and pointed a threatening finger. 

"How could you just send him off like that? Do you have any idea what the danger of the situation is?"

Luhan shrugged, and flashed a sarcastic smile. 

"No. You didn't tell anyone what the situation was at all." The deer like boy shrugged innocently, then walked out behind Sehun. Chanyeol let out a low growl before clenching his fists, Jongin being the only to notice. 

"What's wrong?" The tanned boy asked quietly, still upset over seeing Sehun. 

"Sehun shouldn't be coming. I don't want him to get hurt."

"He's fine. I guess. We all know what a strong boy he is."

"Still." Chanyeol turned to face his friend. "But you care about him, don't you? And you're going to let him get involved?"

"Maybe if we knew what was going on, I would take action with the kid. Unfortunately, a certain someone doesn't want to share."

The older blinked. It was going to be difficult telling the others the danger of the situation, and could possibly result in them getting themselves even more exposed to the potential risk that Chanyeol had already gotten himself into. He glanced at Kyungsoo, who was feeling indifferent towards how he knew nothing. 

"Go to the car, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol ordered, where the small boy scurried out quickly, his little back slouching in fear. Jongin glared at his friend with narrowed eyes.

"What was that about?" 

"If I tell you what's going on, you can't flip out."

 

 

 

~

 

 

"Who is that?"

Baekhyun peered through the window with squinted eyes. Sehun was seen walking towards to other car, Luhan directly behind him. Kyungsoo was barely coming out of the restaurant. Yixing shifted uncomfortably in his seat, for the taller seemed somewhat suspicious. 

Opening the door, Baekhyun exited the car, the slam of his side catching the attention of the boys approaching. Luhan grinned lightly at the sight of him, and gave a small wave. 

"Hey. They should be coming right now, so don't move around too much." The older warned with extreme gentleness. Baekhyun smiled at his care, and shook his head. 

"I'm fine. But who is this??" The puppy pointed at Sehun, who flinched at the finger. Luhan laughed melodically, then playfully hit his dark haired friend on the arm. 

"This is Sehun. Apparently, he works at the restaurant now. Say hi, Sehun."

Sehun shyly bowed. 

"Hello." He quietly mumbled. Baekhyun giggled cutely at his demeanor, holding a hand over his mouth to prevent anything louder escaping. Yixing was seen stepping out of the vehicle, face confused as ever. 

"What's going on?" He asked Kyungsoo, who barely arrived due to his timely walk. The shorter shrugged, then glanced back, watching the remaining two walk out the door awkwardly. 

"I was supposed to work today. Chef is going to kill me." Kyungsoo sighed. Baekhyun magically appeared beside him. 

"Did chef yell at you? How did you get out??"

"He-"

"Let's go!" Jongin shouted from behind, all attention turning towards him. He was tossing up his keys and catching them repeatedly, but his face was not the happiest. The tan boy rudely brushed past the others before storming into the car with unnecessary large amounts of force. 

"Hey." Luhan stiffly punched Chanyeol on his arm, irritated by Jongin's attitude. "What's with him?"

"Don't worry about it. Let's just at least hurry." Chanyeol shrugged off his friend's anger, then shot a look at Sehun.

"What?" The maknae asked. 

"You're not going."

"Yeah I am. Luhan hyung said I could."

"Luhan!"

The others jumped at his barked. Yixing instantly motioned for Kyungsoo and Baekhyun to return to the car, where they directly obeyed. 

"What?" Luhan asked mockingly. 

"Tell Sehun to go back."

"Why?"

"Because-" Chanyeol paused, almost forgetting that he wasn't supposed to say anything to the others. The two in front of him narrowed their eyes. 

"See." Luhan began, scrunching up his nose in disgust. "You can't even tell me what's going on. If you don't tell me, I get to take Sehun. Besides, you guys don't fight as much when he's around." After stating his final words with pride, Luhan grabbed Sehun's wrist to make his way over to the car, but not before winking cutely at the shocked Chanyeol. 

"That little- agh!" Chanyeol grunted after Jongin was suddenly right beside him, bumping his friend rudely while making his way to Yixing's car. "Hey! Where do you think you're going?"

Jongin turned around, and pointed towards the other car without saying a word. Chanyeol watched Luhan and Sehun entering the car together. 

Turning back around, Jongin was already sitting in the backseat of Yixing's car with Baekhyun. He groaned stressfully, then flicked the keys out of his pockets. 

He had more things to worry about than his friend's love drama.