Ten

Art of Culinary Expression

"Don't touch." Chanyeol specifically warned Baekhyun as the boy inched closer to the pan, which was full of various vegetables spreading a delicious aroma throughout the room. Baekhyun scoffed, and moved back. 

"Hey. I'm a chef." He protested, hitting his own chest in triumph. "I know whether to be careful or not. You simply worry too much."

"Actually, I don't. I just care about you more than others." Chanyeol turned around to gaze at the now blushing boy with a smirk. Baekhyun nervously laughed. 

"Aha.. Oh..." His voice broke while holding in his squeals.

Inside the living room, Luhan sat beside Yixing in a silenced aura, both uncomfortable with the quietness. After Kyungsoo and Jongin had left, the apartment became much more uneventful. Yixing nonchalantly scanned his environment, desperately in search for something to do, while Luhan thought deeply about the recent make up. 

"Eh.. so how is Junmyeon?" The blonde nervously asked, convinced that he shouldn't be asking a question so personal. Luhan turned to face him with a curious expression. 

"I wish I knew." The older spoke with a slight shiver in his smooth voice. Although he seemed to be content and comfortable, he wasn't all that great in hiding his disappointment, whether it be about Junmyeon or Jongin and Kyungsoo. 

Yixing nodded, pursing his lips cutely. Of course he was curious about Junmyeon as much as the other's, but he got the feeling that they would never find out. It seemed to be a personal matter; he himself wouldn't want people getting in the way of any of his secrets. Maybe it would be safer to just let Junmyeon handle it himself. 

"Have you and Kyungsoo been friends long?" Luhan suddenly asked the other. Yixing cocked his head in the confusion that the question be so needy for information about said boy. The blonde shifted in his seat, then looked directly in his friend's eyes. 

"Yeah. Is there a problem between you two?"

Luhan chuckled then shook his head. 

"Ah no. I couldn't imagine." His face flushed at the thought. "It's just that Kyungsoo is so unique. Not in a bad way though. It makes him one in a million."

"Oh, Luhan." Yixing cooed as his dimples deepened. "You're one in a million too."

"This isn't about me though. Kyungsoo isn't one in a million. He's one in a billion. Everything about him just stands out. Like a puppy in a cat pound."

The blonde boy slowly nodded, trying to process the words that had been so quickly thrown at him. It wasn't painfully obvious that Luhan had some sort of feelings towards Kyungsoo, but it wasn't difficult to catch, either. A sigh flew from his lips before speaking. 

"Are you getting at something?" Yixing's eyebrows furrowed. His lips formed a small 'o' after asking. The memory of Luhan kissing Kyungsoo earlier through the glass began returning, but he chose a safe route to not bring it up. 

Luhan's breathing began to become stronger, and his eyes darted towards the couple in the kitchen. 

"Uhm.. you're like my brother Yixing. We're both Chinese. I can trust you, right?"

Yixing smiled gratefully. "Of course." He exclaimed, until Luhan closed into his face with dilated pupils. 

"I hate to say it out loud, but I think I have feelings for Kyungsoo." The sentence was overtaken by a shiver of uncertainty. The older drew back, his cheeks now a pretty pink, and his fingers began rubbing his temples in frustration. Yixing felt a mixture of emotions wave over him instantly at the sight. A kind laugh escaped his lips afterwards.

"You say it like it's a crime. Liking Kyungsoo is nothing to be ashamed about." He reassured the slouched figure in front of him, patting it gently with a slender hand. 

Luhan shook his head. 

"It is a crime. Jongin likes him, and Kyungsoo knows. That just makes everything so difficult."

"Kyungsoo is a treasure, I know. But that doesn't mean Jongin will get him. It's only a matter of fate. You'll have to depend on your future decisions." The conversation began to sound more mature. It pleased both boys. 

"I can't tell him. I think I'll just try to get over him slowly."

"Luhan." Yixing began his hair sweetly. "Don't just give up. I'll admit that Kyungsoo will be difficult to get, but it's not like you'll never get him. It's always worth a try, right?"

Luhan softly grinned at the encouragement. 

"You probably can't tell, but I'm not the most confident person in the world."

Yixing let out a sarcastic laugh at the comment. 

"Are you serious? Look at me. I'm am average man working at a low budget noodle shop, surrounded by professional chefs and wealthy buisnessmen. But I'm not letting that put me down. Some people are going to be better at some things than others, just accept that. Only look at the positive things."

"I'm a pretty negative person. I think you learn more of you look at the downside of things."

"You're such a downer." Yixing playfully teased, punching the other's arm. "Your life will if you see it like that. That means you're missing out."

"Doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much."

"The reason to that is because you're missing out."

Luhan nodded, lips curved outwards in disappointment. It felt nice to let it his feelings to Yixing, but that didn't solve his problem at all. He buried his face in his hands, groaning.  Yixing lovingly pat his back once again, drawing out a content sigh. 

While they did so, a hard knock came from the door. Everyone's attention was now pointed at it. Miyoung began to bark loudly, scampering to the door while scratching her long claws against the floor. 

Chanyeol placed a hand on Baekhyun's shoulder before walking over to the door from the kitchen, and peeking through the peephole. He let out a stressed hiss after drawing back, returning to Baekhyun's side to lead him over to the living room. 

"Get the door." He whispered over to Luhan and Yixing, who both traded looks that read sheer confusion. Yixing got up first, and cautiously shuffled over to the door, until another shot of knocks rang from it once again, making the blonde shoot back. 

He regained his courage soon after, then proceeded to answer the door. Opening it, he was met with two police officers; the one that were there the day before. 

"Oh. H-hello." He stammered, hearing Baekhyun whimper softly as the door opened wider. His accent was much stronger now.

"Hello." The taller officer peered past Yixing, noticing Baekhyun and Chanyeol beside each other. "I give it that you'll be giving us some more information about your friend's incident?" 

Luhan stood up instantly. 

"Uhh.. is it mandatory?"

The second officer shook his head and adjusted his belt, a confused expression read on his tan face. 

"No. But we recommend that you give us the information today. It's better that the investigation is completed sooner than later. We'd hate to lose the guy."

Chanyeol felt Baekhyun hug his stomach, applying lots of unneeded pressure. He wrapped long arms around the body, and shook his head with furrowed eyebrows. 

Yixing sadly turned to the police. 

"I think they need some more time."

"If it's okay, we'd like your permission to collect any evidence from the crime. You stated that this occurred at the noodle shop down the street?"

"Yeah. I'll gladly help you with that." Yixing began to walk out the doorway, pausing to look back at the shaken duo in the living room. A blush washed over his cheeks and he cracked a reassuring grin. 

"I'll be right back guys." He bit his lower lip. "Take care of yourselves." With that, the door shut, leaving the room completely silent. 

Chanyeol exhaled heavily, hugging Baekhyun tighter.

"Are you okay?" He asked. Baekhyun nodded against his chest. Luhan was upset that he had no one to talk to anymore. His hands began to become clammy, only seeming to make his disappointment grow into anxiety. There was no way he would discuss his problems with Chanyeol or Baekhyun; they both thought of him as an easygoing person, and the last thing he needed was losing the title that he depended on living up to. 

"Everytime I see them, I can't think of anything else except what happened to me." Baekhyun swallowed, rubbing his temples. "I'd like to cooperate, but my brain won't allow that."

"It's going to be hard to get over." Luhan pointed out, in attempt to maintain his cool for the time being. Chanyeol let out a small hiss, warning his friend that he watch how he arranged his words. 

Baekhyun nodded, understanding how true the statement was. He swallowed, searching for the aid of his lover's hands and arms. After Chanyeol saved him from the incident in the bathroom, he grew much more attached to him, willing to give lots of his trust. 

"Do you guys want to eat?" Chanyeol returned to the kitchen, searching for dishes. "I'm not sure about Baekhyun, but you, Luhan. It looks like you haven't eaten in forever. I suggest you do now."

Luhan shook his head. 

"I'm not hungry."

"Don't be like that. Junmyeon will bother you again for being light, so just eat for now. One meal won't kill you."

"Chanyeol, you gave me a choice."

"Well you have no choice now. Come here." Chanyeol spat playfully, helping Baekhyun into his chair with steady hands. Luhan reluctantly accepted the offer, and made his way to the table that was beautifully arranged with various side dishes. 

A smile grew on his face. 

"Wow. Where did you learn to cook like this? Or did Baekhyun cook it?"

"I cooked it. Why, you didn't think I could?"

"I actually didn't. Last time you tried to cook, Jongin nearly last his eyebrows." Luhan proudly pointed out, earning a genuine laugh from Baekhyun. Chanyeol rolled his eyes after serving both boys their dishes, beaming with pride. He took the empty seat beside his boyfriend, then s a long arm around his waist. 

"Go ahead." He motioned for Luhan to eat up, as well as for Baekhyun, who promptly obeyed. As expected, the boy fell in love with a dish, timidly covering his full mouth in pleasure. Luhan simply nodded in approval as he chewed absently. 

Suddenly a phone vibrated, everyone's attention pointing at Chanyeol, where they heard the noise. He took out the device from his pocket with bewildered expression, turning on the screen and looking at it closely. 

"Who is it?" Luhan asked, placing some pickled radish onto Baekhyun's rice. 

Chanyeol looked up with furrowed eyebrows.

"Bae-" He began to speak, but for some of reason stopped himself from saying anything more. He merely looked down, facial features more mazed than ever. Baekhyun rolled to his side in attempt to peek at the screen, but Chanyeol moved it away before anything was brought up. 

"What? What's the matter?"

"It's nothing. Just eat." Chanyeol looked down at his screen once again, hoping that what he had seen was nothing more than a pathetic prank by one of his friends. Unfortunately, that was not the case, only the text being the same as it had been. 

A text from Baekhyun's cell phone had been sent, reading a simple 'hello'. Chanyeol knew that his boyfriend's pants had been stolen when he was in the bathroom, which held both his phone and wallet. The only person who could've texted him could be none other than the obvious suspect, but why would he text him? 

Blood rushing and head pounding, Chanyeol texted the number back, saying 'Who is this?' and sending another 'Please return this phone to it's rightful owner.' He greatly anticipated the mysterious man's next move with sweat hands. Luhan worryingly cocked his head at his friends behavior then set down his chopsticks. 

"What going on? You shouldn't be hiding anything from us."

"Just stock issues." Chanyeol fibbed, not wanting to look at anyone. 

"Last time I checked they were doing pretty well."

"You checked a while ago then."

Baekhyun uncomfortably shifted in the seat and cleared his throat, making it clear to the others that he wasn't liking the argument that became increasingly heated. Chanyeol exhaled, then leaned back in his seat while staring at his phone screen, waiting impatiently for a notification. 

To his surprise, the man managed to message back. Chanyeol grimaced at the text, which read: 'I want you to do me a favor'. He had no idea what ideas were up this man's sleeve, so he was willing to do whatever it takes to protect anyone that was meant to be his next victim. He promptly messaged back, asking the other what he needed. 

Luhan scoffed as he watched his friend frantically text. 

"You're on your phone too much. Why not take a break?" The older boy spoke, ripping off the flesh from the fried fish, still placing the side dishes into Baekhyun's rice bowl. Chanyeol had no intention on telling his friends that he was texting Baekhyun's ; it would heat things up. The last thing he needed everyone freaking out, only to make it more difficult to catch the man. 

His phone vibrated, where this time, Chanyeol immediately read the message. 

'I want money. 1,000,000₩'.

Chanyeol gaped at the text. This was impossible. This man couldn't possibly want him to bring money after doing such foul things to his significant other. A disgusted expression began to grow on his face, until his phone recieved another message. 

'Or his friend will get it too'.

Friend? Who's friend? 

A few minutes full of thought passed. Chanyeol had no idea what the man meant. He was probably talking about Baekhyun. So his friend must be...

Chanyeol sprung up from his seat instantly, startling the other two at the table. He frantically looked around the room, then bolted to the door. 

"Chanyeol?! Where do you think you're going?" Luhan exclaimed, mouth partially full. He stood up from his seat and made his way to the door, where he saw his friend struggling to get himself into his shoes with falling every now and then. 

"I have to go! I'll be right back, don't follow me!" Chanyeol answered, now succesfully in his shoes. He rushed out of the room, leaving his boyfriend and friends completely confused. It was strange to see him in such a rush, unless the situation was extremely dangerous and required the help of another, hence Baekhyun's molestation. Luhan watched his friend run down the stairs, echoing loud stomps throughout the empty hallways. 

"Where is he going?" Baekhyun appeared by his side with droopy puppy eyes. 

"He wouldn't say. But I get the feeling that it's important. I've never seen him so rushed." Luhan tried to keep himself and the other calm, softly placing a gentle hand on Baekhyun's shoulder to avoid any anxiety. "Let's go eat."