Seven

Art of Culinary Expression

Rays of sunlight shone through the window. Baekhyun felt the heat of the light radiate harshly onto his head, making it slowly bead with sweat. He found no real reason to be getting up, not to mention the fact that he was having a hard time splitting his eyelids apart. They must've been stuck together. 

Sitting up, all he heard was the wind outside. His eyes pulled apart, and looking around, there was no sunlight at all. Just the glare of the gray weather outside. There was a massive pain on his lower half, but it wasn't bad enough to keep him from standing up off the bed. 

Baekhyun had a hard time remembering anything. Peering outside his door, he saw Kyungsoo uncomfortably sprawled out onto the couch, face against the arm. His breathing was soft but difficult to handle. 

"Kyungsoo..?" The golden haired boy breathed heavily as he inched closer to his sleeping friend. He didn't respond, and instead turned away from the atmosphere and stuffed his head into the corner of the couch. 

Looking around more, and staggering about, he had noticed that their kitchen has been used. Who else would be here? 

"Hello?"

Yixing suddenly appeared from the small balcony outside, Miyoung following right behind. The two seemed very cheery despite the rather depressing weather outside. Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow. 

"Baek! Why are you up?"

"I-I just.."

"Forget it. It's fine. Are you feeling any better?"

Feeling better?

Baekhyun blinked fast, then paused. Now he remembered. He was with Chanyeol the other day, on a date to eat rice noodles at Yixing's shop. The man came into the bathroom and did some things that he refused to recollect fully, up until where he had fallen asleep with Chanyeol by his side after taking an emotional bath. That explained the pain around his lower waist. 

Chanyeol? 

"Where's Chanyeol?"

Yixing's eyes formed a pleasant curve, same with his lips. 

"He and his friends had to go, remember? They said they would be back, but I guess in their place, they must be really busy."

Baekhyun frowned. Didn't Chanyeol promise to come back? 

"Come and eat Baekhyun." Yixing sweetly, arranging side dishes across the table. The other sadly dragged himself to his seat and plopped down, only looking down at the food rather than eating it. His friend worryingly crossed his arms. 

"I spent a long time working on this. I also stayed up after the incident, hoping the police would come. You need to eat."

Baekhyun nodded, then straightened his chopsticks, stabbing the two metal sticks into an eggroll. He chewed willingly, feeling Yixing's stare on him. 

"Are you watching me eat?" The boy spoke with full cheeks. Yixing sighed lovingly and began setting up another set of silverware. 

"No. You're just very cute Baekhyun. I bet Chanyeol is happy to have you for himself."

Baekhyun slightly choked on his food and bent forward to avoid spilling in onto the floor. His friend jumped back at the sudden motion. 

"Ah! Watch out!" He squealed. 

The younger shut his eyes and began to chew again. He had forgotten about dating Chanyeol. This was going to be an issue. 

"Sorry."

"Chew better. You'll get some bad diarrhea of you don't." Yixing flashed a grin then strolled into Baekhyun's room, probably to clean it. He was so motherly at times. Maybe to the point where it got creepy, but that was sometimes necessary. 

Looking back, Kyungsoo had changed positions again. His arms and legs were tightly hugging the plaid blanket, which was strange; Kyungsoo normally sprawled out when he slept and often neglected any sort of bed sheet. This morning he seemed fairly clingy. 

Baekhyun blinked in uncertainty as he watched his friend grimace while sleeping. He must be dreaming about something. 

"You should try calling him." He heard Yixing's voice return from the nearby room. 

"Call who?"

"Chanyeol. You're not going to call your own boyfriend?"

Alarmed, Baekhyun frantically searched his pockets. His phone wasn't there. 

That's right. His attacker took off with his pants, which held his wallet and phone. 

"No...." Baekhyun groaned and hid his face with his slender fingers, his memories beginning to recollect much more clearly. Yixing furrowed his eyebrows. 

"What's wrong?"

"That guy... he took my phone and my wallet.."

The blonde boy gasped in shock. 

"What?! We have to tell the police then!" 

Baekhyun shook his head. 

"Forget it. It's no use. We're not going to find him. I can't even remember what he looks like." The boy sighed then stood up, struggling to walk into the living room without having pain strike across his waist. He cried out and cringed, feeling Yixing hold him up before he fell onto the cold floor. 

"Baekhyun! This is why you need to rest. Let's go to your room."

"No! I don't want to rest. It'll only make me more upset."

"Okay fine. Let's watch TV until Kyungsoo wakes up, then we'll decide what to do then."

Baekhyun nodded and shuffled over to the floor in front of Kyungsoo with Yixing's aid. He grabbed the remote beside him and switched it on. 

As soon as the TV audio played throughout, Kyungsoo woke up at the noise. Baekhyun turned around and was met with his tired friend, eyes bloodshot and cheeks stained with dry tears. 

"You're awake?" He asked. Kyungsoo looked down at Baekhyun, eyes widening instantly. 

"Was it a dream?"

"Huh?"

"It was a dream right? With you coming home in Chanyeol's arms and Jongin and Luhan here and the police here and Yixing here." His words jumbled up fairly quickly. 

Baekhyun frowned and shook his head. 

"It wasn't a dream Kyung."

Kyungsoo stared, then looked away as if he had just been rejected. He bit his lower lip and scrunched up into a smaller form at the side of the couch. 

"Oh." The doe eyed boy sadly choked out the mere word before letting a tear fall from his eye. 

"Kyungsoo?" Yixing magically appeared in front of them with a concerned expression. "What's wrong?"

The small boy shook his head. 

"Aw. Don't be like that. C'mon, I made you some breakfast." The Chinese boy's eyes drooped down. He held out a hand for Kyungsoo, and surprisingly enough, he took it, then stood up to his feet into Yixing's arm. 

"You don't have to be sad. Let's look at the good things today. I'll take you both out to wherever you want to go. China, Japan, America.." Yixing lifted a finger each time something was listed. "France, Italy.."

Kyungsoo giggled at his friend's warm attitude. He pushed himself into the seat farthest from the TV and proceeded to eat. 

"What time is it?" He asked, picking out the side dishes. 

"It's 9. I already called your boss. Grumpy guy, but he understood."

"He wasn't angry?"

"At first he was. He thought you guys were trying to lie your way out of working." Yixing paused when the buzzing doorbell rang, making everyone jump. "Oh. Are they here?" He stood up and rushed to the door, opening it without looking through the peephole.

"Back already?" Baekhyun and Kyungsoo heard him exclaim. Although Kyungsoo was in the kitchen to where he could not see their visitor, Baekhyun caught clear sight of them, and stood up directly after the door as opened. 

"Baekhyun!" Kyungsoo saw Chanyeol rush in and spread out his long arms to have Baekhyun fall into them, despite the odd way he walked over. Luhan soon showed up with a large smile, looking around. He caught a quick glimpse of Kyungsoo, then walked over to the small boy. 

"Hey!" The older male called out, for some reason planting a loving kiss on Kyungsoo's head. "Have you been well?"

Kyungsoo nodded slowly, still looking around. Where was Jongin? 

"That's good. Here, I brought something for you guys." Luhan reached into the black plastic convenience store grocery bag, and pulled out three chocolate bars. Each wrapper was a different color to each corresponding flavor: milk, white, and strawberry. Kyungsoo happily took the chocolates with both hands, bowing in respect. 

"Thank you." He stammered, before admiring the large bars with mesmerized eyes, completely forgetting about Jongin's absence. Luhan grinned. 

"No problem. Just something that I thought would make your day. Jongin loves chocolate. If only he were here, but he's on a stupid blind date right now. I'm always telling him they don't usually work out, but the big brute begs to differ."

Kyungsoo's pupils dilated. 

"Blind.. date?"

"Yeah. You know, you meet someone without knowing what they look like or whatnot."

Hearing this sort of saddened the young boy. He didn't understand why he was upset, it was very clear yesterday than Jongin was a plague when around. Maybe those harsh feelings suddenly disappeared after sleeping. 

Luhan shyly returned to the living room after realizing that Kyungsoo was not going to respond, allowing the smaller to finish his meal. 

Chanyeol sat on the floor beside Baekhyun, his hair or caressing his cheek while asking how he had been since the few hours they had been gone. Baekhyun would respond with only positive answers, taking his partner's worried hand and clutching onto it. 

"It's hard for me to walk."

"I'm sorry. It probably hurts a lot." Chanyeol sighed. 

Baekhyun shook his head on disapproval. 

"Don't be sorry. It's over now."

Luhan sat down beside the couple and his lips. 

"You guys are you sappy." The older boy sang, earning a hard clock on his head from Chanyeol. He shrugged off the pain. "So are you guys going to talk to the police today?"

Baekhyun froze at the word. Police. There was interest in telling them what had happened, not anything important. Although they needed the information, Baekhyun felt that they couldn't help. 

Chanyeol glanced at the small figure hunched over next to him. 

"We should go today. I think it's best. You need to go to the hospital too."

"No! I don't want to go!" Baekhyun dragged himself back abruptly, scaring everyone around. Kyungsoo dropped his chopsticks and ran over to his scared friend. 

"Baekhyun, what's wrong?"

"I don't want to go..."

"Go where?"

Luhan bit his lower lip, but decided not to speak. 

"Hospital." His pupils were shrunken now, making it obvious that this was real fear. 

"..I know. You don't have to go. At least not today."

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes. 

"He has to go."

"I won't go. You can ask me to as much as you want but I won't go." Baekhyun swallowed, staring into his lover's dark orbs with determination. Despite the stress and pain he felt, there was still some energy left in him. 

Chanyeol gazed back, eyes glazed over and beady. There were no more words left in him to say except 'I love you'. Unfortunately, those words were not appropriate for the current situation, so he merely maintained his stare, hoping that it would somehow convince Baekhyun. 

Luhan awkwardly cleared his throat. 

"L-Let's talk about something else."

"How was your meeting Luhan hyung?" Yixing came strolling in with a plate of freshly cut fruit and tea with four individual fruit forks stuck inside the various cubes. Luhan grinned wildly that he had been addressed by hyung, then took his phone out. 

"It went great actually. I told our friend Junmyeon about meeting you guys, and I had promised to video chat him when I returned." Everyone watched the doll faced boy scroll throughout his phone and tap on the live chat icon. The screen loaded for some time, fortunately everyone was patient enough to wait for it to process. Suddenly, a face appeared on the screen, echoing a loud notification noise. 

"Junmyeon!" Luhan waved happily at the boy on the screen. He was handsome, a rare beauty. His hair was dark and spiked up softly as it got closer to his small forehead. A sharp gray blazer hugged his rather small shoulders tightly, promoting his natural charm with ease. He had a smile that read nothing but genuine happiness and pure joy. His eyes were curved into dark crescents, complimenting his sweet grin. Behind him was a minimalistic background, but still modern and making it clear that he was somewhat wealthy. 

"Luhan! Hello!" Junmyeon waved back happily, and moved in closer to the screen to inspect the faces that managed to fill the screen without trouble. 

"Are you the boys my friends have been talking about?" He asked, grin transforming into a mischievous smirk. 

"Junmyeon, this is Baekhyun!" Luhan pinched the addressed boy's cheek, making Chanyeol to smack his hand away while the others laughed lightly. "Kyungsoo." He softly pet the big eyed boy as he waved politely at the screen. "And Yixing." Yixing shyly bowed, although this was a video chat. 

"Ahh. You guys are very cute!" The boy on the screen waved once again. 

Chanyeol moved closer into the screen.

"I'm the cutest, right?"

Junmyeon let out a hearty laugh and set his chin on his hand as if he were in deep thought. 

"Hmm. Okay Park Chanyeol. I bid thee cutest person today!" He announced, clapping his hands. Yixing admired this man's personality. He was so kind, caring, and cheerful. Not to mention that he was optimistic, something that Yixing felt was important in a relationship. 

"Junmyeon, who's the cutest here?" Luhan chimed in. Yixing looked up in surprise, as well as Kyungsoo. Both were anxious for the answer. 

"He said I'm cutest Luhan! Back off!" Chanyeol stuck out his tongue in annoyance until he was pushed away from the screen by Luhan. 

All boys looked at the screen closely now. Junmyeon seemed to be really inspecting everyone with dramatic focus. 

"What if I don't want to choose because everyone is cute?" 

"Hey, we won't be hurt if you don't choose us. But you have to choose one person."

Junmyeon squinted his eyes in order to see better, but because that wasn't helping, he reached beside him and grabbed a vintage pair of glasses, setting them delicately on his nose. 

"The cutest one there.."

Chanyeol posed a cute peace sign beside his eye and winked, in hopes that this would help him be chosen. 

"The dog!"

"What?!" Everyone questioned in confusion, only to turn around and meet with Miyoung, who was trying to make her way into the closed circle for attention. Kyungsoo picked her up and laughed.

"Junmyeon!" Luhan whined, pretending to hit his friend through the screen. Junmyeon grinned, and rested his small chin on both his hands, as if to play innocently. 

"It's a cute dog. Is it a boy or girl?"

"She's a girl." Kyungsoo lifted her paw up and waved it around cutely. 

"That's adorable. What's her-" Junmyeon paused, looking up at a rather tall shadow hovering over his small structure. His cheery expression immediately vanished, transforming into a disappointed and somewhat pained look. The unknown figure's words were inaudible through the phone, making it impossible to listen into their conversation, but still a clear hint that this figure was very much a man. For some time, Junmyeon simply nodded or sighed heavily, swallowing each time the stranger moved even the slightest bit. The mysterious man was gone within a few minutes, his shoes hitting against the expensive floor and making it obvious that he left. Junmyeon sat in silence until Luhan asked what happened. 

"Nothings wrong. Look, Lu, I have to go. Is it okay if I call back later?" The anxious boy on the screen grimaced. He removed his glasses and made no eye contact. 

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows, then nodded. He knew very well that he was not in the right place to ask what the actual issue was. 

Suddenly, Junmyeon ended the call himself, leaving the others dumbfounded. 

"What happened?" Yixing was the first to ask, facial expression reading worry. 

"I-I don't know. I've never seen him so upset." 

"You guys don't know anything he's having trouble with?" Baekhyun questioned this time, wide eyed. 

"...No actually. Junmyeon is always smiling. Seeing him so bothered is impossible. I mean, I thought it was until now."

Chanyeol stood up with determination. 

"We have to go see what happened. Junmyeon is our best friend, and he's already done so much for us."

"No! This could be a private issue. Getting ourselves involved could only make matters worse." Luhan pointed a stern finger at his friend. 

"I don't care! I'm going to help him."

"Park Chanyeol, you are not going to go. You're going to stay here and take care of Baekhyun."

Chanyeol stopped on his way to the door. Right, Baekhyun was seriously hurt. Letting out a loud sigh, the tall boy trudged back to his spot on the floor. 

"M-Maybe it's temporary." Kyungsoo timidly suggested. 

"I doubt that. In the buisness world, nothing is temporary. It's like a tattoo. You can get rid of it, but it'll leave some nasty scars on your skin for everyone to see and remember." Luhan bit his lower lip at the example. "Poor Junmyeon. I can't imagine how scared he is right now." His eyes deepened, but produced no tears.

"What if Jongin knows?" Chanyeol spoke with confidence. Kyungsoo looked up at the mention of his name.

"I doubt that Chanyeol."

"Well who knows? I'm going to call him." The happy boy whipped out his cell phone, then pressed in various numbers. He brought the phone up to his ear, waiting patiently. 

After a few quiet rings, they stopped, only to be replaced by Jongin's miffed tone. 

"What?"

"I have an important question."

"Make it quick."

"What's wrong with Junmyeon?"

A brief silence drew out. 

"What do you mean?"

"Does he have any issues going on right now?"

"Hell, I don't know everything. Why don't you ask him yourself?"

"Because... what if it's personal?"

"If it's personal, stay out of it. Junmyeon already has his hands full with having to deal with you."

Chanyeol ignored the weak insult, he's heard it many times before. 

"How is your date going?"

"Why would you want to know?"

"Because you're my best friend and I love you."

Jongin scoffed loudly. 

"Bull. Is Kyungsoo okay? Did he sleep well?"

Chanyeol snickered that he asked about the boy's whereabouts so quickly. Unfortunately, Kyungsoo was unable to hear what was going on on the other side of the line. He glanced at the doe eyed boy, who stared back with curiosity.

"Ah... Jongin, you should be enjoying your date, not thinking about other people to ."

"Listen you ignorant , I asked a simple question and I want a simple answer. I'm not in the mood to deal with your damn jokes, especially without getting any sleep for 10 hours."

Looking back once more, Kyungsoo was still staring back, wondering what they were talking about with such language. Chanyeol mouthed 'what a player' at him before returning to his conversation. 

"He has some tear stains on his cheeks. Why?"

"Put him on."

"You have to put your pants back on."

"Park Chanyeol!"

Chanyeol mischievously grinned at Kyungsoo, who's eyes were slightly narrowed in confusion. 

"It's for you."

Kyungsoo shook his head and backed away in fear. 

"Sorry, he doesn't want to talk to you."

"I'm being serious Chanyeol."

"So am I. Now go spend time with your date."

Jongin groaned loudly, loud enough for everyone inside the room to hear. 

"Tell Kyungsoo that I'll be there soon."

"With your date?"

"No! Just.... tell him, okay? Don't let him cry, and make sure he eats."

"Why are you being so hot and cold? What's with your date making you a total brat and Kyungsoo making you so sympathetic?"

Jongin sighed. 

"It's not exactly working out here."

"Why? What's wrong?" Chanyeol's playful attitude suddenly vanished. 

"I don't think blind dates are my type anymore."

"What happened??"

"I-It's not important. As soon as I wiggle my way out of this situation, I'm coming. Just.. do this one favor and tell Kyungsoo to be well. I care about him as much as you care about Baekhyun; you know that level of love. It'll mean a lot to me Yeol."

Yeol. He hasn't heard that nickname in forever, especially by Jongin. A flutter of felicity ran throughout. 

"Yeah. Yeah.. I will. Bye Jongin." With that, he hung up, nervousness rushing through his veins. 

Luhan scrunched up his nose. 

"So what's up with Junmyeon?"

"He said he doesn't know." Chanyeol spoke quietly, then turned to face Kyungsoo. "Uh.. Jongin wants you to eat. He also said don't cry."

Kyungsoo blinked rapidly. Jongin said all that? But why?

"...Really?"

Chanyeol nodded, his lips. He had no idea Jongin cared so deeply. Seeing that side of him was so rare. 

"You won't cry, right?" He asked, grabbing Baekhyun's hand with anxiety. 

Kyungsoo looked down in utter shock, still processing Jongin's words. 

"I won't."

Luhan cocked his head to the side. 

"What's with you? Is Jongin okay?"

"I think he's a little too okay. He should be on his way over now."

"What about his date?"

Chanyeol blew the heavy amount of air in his cheeks. 

"He didn't like it."

"I knew it. I told him plenty of times to drop all these dates. Well, at least he knows."

"Let's give him a break when he comes, okay?" Chanyeol nodded, surprising everyone. Kyungsoo sadly agreed, a sudden rush of guilt washing over him mercilessly. 

He was beginning to regret being rude towards Jongin. 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kdkyddlyf so many words...

I think this chapter has too much dialogue, but as a fanfic reader like myself, I enjoy the dialogue, hence the reason why I put so much of it in my stories. You may not agree, although I'm struggling to control the amount of dialogue used. Yeah, that's not too easy for someone like me. ㅠㅠ

What is bothering Suho so much? Any guesses?? No? Okay. 

Anyways, thanks for reading, I love you for reading this even though you might not like it but I'm writing it anyways because I have nothing better to do in life except fantasize my favorite OTPs

I just started school by the way, making another grade up and increasing the potential workload. Honestly, that's just an excuse, and I will be honest that I procrastinate so much, it might be a real disease. So my usual writing schedule shouldn't change, otherwise I'm just neglecting the story because I have no ideas. Fortunately, ideas come every now and then, allowing me to write them and share them with you guys. 

사랑해! 행복해.