Eight

Art of Culinary Expression

 "Hello."

Jongin turned around, meeting with his blind date, a face he felt he had already seen enough of. The tanned boy stuffed his phone into his pocket with his face heating up. 

"What.. what are you doing here? I said I would be back."

"Well who knows what you're off doing all the time, being rich and all." Taemin gritted his teeth together, then closed in the space between him and Jongin, grabbing the younger's tie and tugging on it gently. "This might be a problem." He whispered in a seducing tone. 

Jongin was afraid to show any rudeness towards the boy. Instead of pushing him away, he stood still, feeling Taemin's heavy breath hit against his face. 

"Let's get back."

The duo slowly made their way outside the bathroom, returning to their table. 

Jongin couldn't think of anything else except Kyungsoo. The pale boy was constantly on his mind now, leaving no room to think about anything else. Even Taemin's seductive attitude wasn't enough to break through. 

Taemin noticed that his date's food had been left untouched, and furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Why aren't you eating? Do you have any idea how expensive the food is here?"

"I do."

"Then enjoy it. You should be grateful that I didn't invite you to some tacky burger joint like every other person out there would." The young face smirked.

Jongin his lips in disappointment. Taemin was nothing at all like he had expected. All he saw was a conceited, ignorant, spoiled individual through his eyes, instead of the kind personality he had spoken to via instant online messaging. Why didn't he have the heart to reject him, like he always had done before? All the courage in him had somehow flown out without warning. 

"Who were you talking to?"

"Huh?"

"On the phone. Who were you talking to?" Taemin's eyes narrowed, making the boy across from him cringe. 

"My friend."

"Your boyfriend?"

"No. He's just a friend. It's not difficult to understand Taemin."

The older male scoffed in disbelief. 

"I know. I'm not stupid." He defended himself. "It's just hard to trust people like you."

Jongin looked up in confusion. 

"People like me? What would that mean?"

Taemin rolled his eyes and paused his meal, leaning back into his seat as he deeply gazed into Jongin's crystal eyes. Confidence washed over him; the other seemed fairly cowardly at the moment. 

"I said earlier. You're a buisnessman. Everyone wants you, and not everyone knows your whereabouts. If this works out and I end up under your golden wing, I'll still be suspicious of you. Whether we're making out or simply taking a walk in the park, there will still be a twinge of uncertainty inside me that'll convince me that you're probably ing some other guy. Or a chick, whatever your preference is." Taemin's rude expression was magically gone now, replaced with a rather concerned look, something mature and reassuring. He wasn't a jerk anymore, only an uncanny resemblance to a college professor lecturing his students. "And you could be a boy. Only looking for relationships to have with people up to your standards."

Jongin sat in his seat, completely speechless. His eyes were widened and focused on something non-existent, fingers twitching as well as his legs. The amount of stress piling onto him was overwhelming now, not to mention the shocking fact that everything Lee Taemin said was true. He didn't want to believe it, but what he said was very possible. That's why Kyungsoo held a grudge. That's why Kyungsoo was so mean. Jongin thought that Kyungsoo was only having such anger towards him because of Baekhyun's incident, but that was clearly not the case anymore. The boy had every reason to be angry.

"That's why.." The tanned boy stammered, face getting hot. 

"What?"

No one spoke, only sitting in a painful silence. Taemin was beyond confusion now, but avoided asking why Jongin wasn't saying anything. 

"I think I have to go."

Taemin swallowed, slightly disappointed. 

"So soon?" He asked, standing up as his date did so. Jongin nodded, and began to return into his blazer. His selfish behavior seemed to have vanished, showing a rather sweet side to him. 

"Yeah. I'm sorry, but this is an emergency. I'll try and catch you later." Jongin kept himself as sane as possible towards Taemin's changed demeanor. 

The other reluctantly approved, proceeding to walk out with him. Jongin payed the restaurant bill instantly, then rushed out into the winter gale. 

"Thanks for today. Although it was cut short." He playfully pushed Taemin's hair back, hoping that this would hide his anxiety. The older smiled mischievously before wandering off with a quiet 'see you later', leaving Jongin. 

Now that he was alone, Jongin ran into his car, and drove off. This gave him time to plan out an apology for Kyungsoo, and hopefully convince him that he could change; that he wouldn't leave him for the world, that he would protect the smaller forever. It was difficult to keep in his road rage, which he didn't know why was around. His emotions were jumbled up in a mixture of sadness and anger. This concoction of these feelings wasn't exactly the best. Jongin repeatedly honked his horn at passing cars, regardless of their inability to move any further. All he wanted at that moment was to get his way with Kyungsoo, although it sounded moderately selfish.

A flurry of profanity flew from his lips everytime his car came to am abrupt stop. He was on the verge of using the other lane in order to get to his destination faster, but that was asking for trouble, and he already had enough in his hands. 

"Dammit!" He cried out, hitting the back of his head against the head of his car seat. 

Jongin was so eager to convince him, despite the small chances of a success. Chanyeol had gotten Baekhyun so easily; what was it that made the toothy boy get the other so fast? Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were like two peas in a pod, it couldn't be any different from Chanyeol's strategy, whatever it was that won him over. 

His patience luckily was able to tolerate the city traffic, parking his car in a handicap space illegally and running into the apartment building. He could feel the pressure already setting in. Kyungsoo was so unpredictable, but that was a trait so undeniably loveable, not to mention cute. 

One, two, three knocks. They were slow and collected, hopefully veiling his nervousness. His hands were already starting to sweat, something that wasn't promoting any confidence. Jongin's sureness began to slowly fade away. What was he planning on saying? 

You ing idiot, clean up your damn act and get Kyungsoo into your arms. Forever. 

Kyungsoo in his arms. The feeling was so familiar, yet comforting. Kyungsoo was abnormally small for someone his age, only making him more gentle and sweet physically. Although his looks deceived, Jongin didn't care. This rare characteristic only gave the younger more reason to protect Kyungsoo and never leave his side. 

Click. The wooden door was opened by none other than Do Kyungsoo in the flesh. His eyes were still wide, lips still pink and a lovely resemblance to a heart. Skin pale and dark hair defying gravity, he was a sight for sore eyes. 

"I'm sorry." The shorter spoke first, shocking Jongin both with the sudden response and random apology. The tanned boy swallowed. 

"W-What?"

Kyungsoo seemed too irritated to repeat but still did so. 

"I'm sorry." His eyes were glued onto the other's, not to avert eye contact anytime soon. 

"Who is it?" Both heard Yixing call out from the kitchen, soon to appear behind Kyungsoo and smile. "Jongin! Why don't you come in?" The kind blonde offered, gesturing towards Luhan, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun who watched their friends go completely blank from reality and into their own world.

Jongin pulled Kyungsoo out of the room, and shut the door behind him so abruptly, everyone felt the floor shake at the sudden impact. The smaller boy didn't hesitate, allowing himself to be forced out of the warmth of his small apartment. 

"Why are you sorry?"

No response. 

"Kyungsoo." Jongin was more gentle with his tone than last time, and holding back from repeating the name so much. 

The shorter held his breath. He was extremely hesitant, a small part of his brain telling him that he would regret it. Instead of listening to his instincts, Kyungsoo walked up to Jongin, bringing the taller figure against his own with all the courage left. It felt so wrong, but at the same time so good. The younger felt all his plans backfire in the right direction, and began to wrap his own arms around the other. 

"Why..." He questioned with great emotion, mostly a mixture of confusion and sorrow. A sort of wetness began soaking into the material of his dress shirt. 

"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo broke again, his words only being the same everytime he chose to speak. 

"Kyungsoo. Look at me."

Looking up, Jongin's eyes were pink, but producing no tears. 

"I'm sorry." The younger boy choked out. Everything Taemin had said was beginning to recollect in his head. 

If this works out and I end up under your golden wing, I'll still be suspicious of you. 

"I want you to trust me."

Whether we're making out or simply taking a walk in the park, there will still be a twinge of uncertainty inside me that'll convince me that your probably ing some other guy.

"I want to protect you."

And you could be a boy. 

"I want you to listen to me."

Only looking for relationships to have with people up to your standards. 

Jongin pulled Kyungsoo away, clutching onto his arms rather harshly. 

"I want you to let me into your life."

A thick silence drew out. There was only Kyungsoo's soft sniffles and Jongin's deep breathing. 

Kyungsoo felt himself get dizzy. Everything was happening so quickly. He was looking forward to simple saying sorry and returning to his life, that was until Jongin felt more than the other did. He didn't know whether that was a good or bad thing at all, there was no straight down the middle. 

Wiping his shameful tears that thankfully only stayed at the corners of his eyelids, Kyungsoo closed his eyes. 

"Jongin.." 

"I know." The taller drew back, stressfully pulling at his hair. "You weren't prepared. I was selfish only for you."

"It's not like that."

"It is."

"Don't say that."

"Why? Because it's true, isn't it?" The remark came out much colder than expected, surprising both boys. Kyungsoo inhaled deeply, then brought himself to be suddenly smacking Jongin directly on his jaw with the back of his shaking hand. As the impact was preformed, the older let out a short cry of guilt, knowing that physical harm wasn't at all the answer to his problems. Unfortunately, the shock was already running throughout each other. 

Jongin didn't particularly feel the pain, but reacted with great emotion, gritting his teeth together and wincing. Kyungsoo was equally appalled at his own actions and started to panic. 

"..I...." He began, voice breaking and head heating up by the second. Whether he were to apologize or just walk off, both options seemed as if they couldn't help at all. 

The younger his lips. This wasn't at all what he anticipated. 

"Why." Jongin's response was monotone, regardless of how odd he sounded to be asking a question that instead came out as a mere word with no emotion. Kyungsoo brought his hand up to the jaw that he had just , happy that it hasn't been smacked away. 

"Jongin-"

"Forget it. Kyungsoo, I'm trying so hard. It's only been at least a day since I met you, and I get that this is too early to be asking. But doesn't that give you any hints? That I, Kim Jongin want you for myself, yet I can't spare a passing glance without you giving me a cold shoulder? How do you think that makes me feel?"

"Jongin, I-"

"It makes me feel like . I'm stuck on the bottom of your shoe now, you might as well clean it."

Kyungsoo's mouth went agape, trying to process the words thrown at him so harshly.

"Look-"

"No. I'm not looking. You clearly don't want me around." Jongin turned around, and began walking down the stairs. He came to a brief pause, then turned his head at the small boy. Kyungsoo thought he would say something, but he was silent, only to build up suspension before walking off.

No matter how bad he wanted to call for him back, nothing came out. He was a wreck now, as Kyungsoo fell on his knees in shock. Kyungsoo didn't understand the situation fully, Jongin was usually the timid one, cute yet annoying. It wasn't the younger's job to walk off. Was it? 

"Jongin.." The fallen boy choked out once more, face scrunching up and allowing tears to fall freely from his blushed cheeks. It was never his intention to cry now, but it seemed impossible to not. 

"Kyungsoo-!" A loud cry echoed from behind him, and turning around, Luhan stood at the doorway, eyes wide, face reading sheer anxiety. Yixing soon appeared directly behind him, along with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Baekhyun was the first to run up to the small boy against the floor. 

"What happened?!" Was the first question. Of course it was. It always was. It didn't solve anything, what was the point in asking anymore? 

Luhan took hint of the sorrow radiating from Kyungsoo's posture, thus storming out and racing down the stairs. There was no stopping him. Chanyeol insisted that he follow, but Yixing held him back. 

"No, Luhan!" Kyungsoo yelled out, anger rushing through him and causing him to chase after the other. He knew exactly what Luhan's intentions were, and they weren't exactly the smartest. 

Baekhyun was hesitant, but ended up following anyways, giving the hint to the two others than they were to come too. Soon enough, everyone was inside the lobby, panting and frantically looking around. Luhan was nowhere to be seen, as well as for Jongin, who seemed to be staggering towards the apartment complex sidewalk. Kyungsoo ran outside, ignoring his dizziness. 

"Jongin!" The small boy yelled out, causing Jongin to stop in his tracks. The tanned figure turned around to face the shorter, eyes narrow and suspicious of the situation. He said nothing, only standing in place with no words to give. 

Kyungsoo had no idea what to do now. He didn't really have the time to think out hope to apologize, or how to earn back Jongin's respect. He wasn't even sure if he understood the dilemma clearly either. 

"Jongin." He heard from behind, Luhan walking up. He seemed fairly collected, nothing like what Kyungsoo looked like with his hair a mess a tears everywhere. The older male glared at his friend. 

"What?" Jongin his lips, as if he were to compete. 

"I think you know."

The youngest clicked his tongue in a bogus sort of fashion. 

"I don't think I do."

"You know, I was wrong. You deserved to lose Sehun. This was such a good chance for you, until you just go and blow it again." Luhan hissed, Kyungsoo tugging at his arm and pleading. The older grabbed Kyungsoo, staring straight into his fearful eyes. 

I'm sorry. 

Before thinking, the two closed into each other, mostly by Luhan's own force. It wasn't against the lips, but lip to cheek. Kyungsoo was insistent on pulling away, instead standing still and closing his eyes, trying to adapt to the situation. 

Luhan was the first to back away from the contact. His eyes were glazed over, guilty for what he had then. Luckily, the regret hadn't settled in quickly. Kyungsoo looked down, now free to escape from the older's embrace and covered his mouth while turning away from the scene. 

Jongin mentally passed out. Did Luhan just kiss Kyungsoo? 

"Luhan.." He panted, talking only a single stride up to the boy without showing his anger. 

"This is your last. Chance." 

Jongin looked over. Kyungsoo was still getting over the shock of the kiss, and Luhan waiting impatiently for his next move, whether it be physical or not. Police sirens were distant down the street, making the mood much more suspenseful.

The pain where Kyungsoo had hit him began to become more noticeable. Jongin glanced down, knowing his answer had never changed. 

"Kyungsoo-"

I'm sorry."

 

-----------------------------------------------------

A/N- Here's your awaiting cliffhanger. Because Jongin said sorry, that doesn't mean that he's saying no. It's only a matter of either answer, you'll have to wait until the next chapter. Hehe.

Sehun is finally in the story. He is not wealthy like the other's, instead he will be shown as a rather quiet and collected character. Hopefully that will change throughout. 

So school started.

Summer went by so fast, I'm not even sure of what I did during vacation. Maybe that's because I did absolutely nothing productive. 

I've had a lot of pressure on me lately because of how early my teachers have out homework, and I've had to change my classes at times. 

I come home with my brother and no one is ever there, with my parents working and all. I'm not saying I hate that, in fact, I love that my parents aren't around to bug me, but that doesn't excuse the stress. My mom is constantly comparing me to other Korean kids my age at school, asking why I can't speak Korean like them, only being able to read and write it. I'm also having trouble sleeping; not insomnia, but still a dent in my sleep schedule. 

So please excuse slow updates, I'm sure to get to my stories eventually. Unless I'm abducted by aliens or something, and if such things happen, you would understand.  

Thanks for reading ♡-♡