Lee Donghae

What We Can See (DISCONTINUED)

There are three things Lee Donghae is perfectly good at. Number one is music and number two is also music. He loved playing musical instruments or just singing. He could do it for hours. The third thing he is good at is being clumsy. And that's the reason why he ended up in the school building's rooftop asleep, yet again.

 

Donghae has always had sensitive ears. It could be one of the reasons why he's great in music. That particular morning, however, his ears picked up a familiar sound that stirred him from his sleep.

 

"...going to tell me then at least leave me alone..."

 

A female voice? He thought. Gently, he put away his violin which rested on his chest until moments ago. It's awfully familiar. Where have I heard her before? It's nostalgic. He tried to place the voice on an image in his head. He was brought back from his thoughts when he heard her speak a little louder.

 

"...I want you to stay away from me."

 

He heard footsteps and the slamming of the door. He tried to remember once again where he heard her before but to no avail. Not long after, the school bell rang indicating classes was about to start. Flustered, he picked up his things and headed to the infirmary.

 

 

 

 

"Aisht, I really should not have slept on the rooftop. I was supposed to just practice, not fall asleep ," Donghae scolded himself.

 

He was alone at the infirmary's bathroom waiting for his shirt to dry. Why the school infirmary has a washing machine and a dryer, nobody knows. It just does. It's convenient for Donghae who always loses track of time and end up sleeping over in school.

 

"First day AND late. Great going, Donghae. Your father will kill you if he hears about this, that freaking headmaster."

 

He kept muttering to himself. When the drying machine finally beeped, he took out his dry shirt and walks out of the bathroom. He flapped it twice.

 

Then the door opened. A girl with flushed yet very attractive face ran her eyes through the room as if looking for something. She darted her eyes here and there yet for some reason missed him.  Regaining his composure, he cleared his throat and gained her attention.

 

She blinked. A lot. Cute, he thought. Unknowingly, he smiled and unabashedly stared at the girl standing before him. Something seemed to be bothering her. Her eyes was on him but her forehead was creased, as if she was thinking deeply about something.

 

"Umm… Are you okay?"

 

The girl nodded slowly.

 

"Umm… The nurse isn't here. You can use one of the beds here to rest if you feel sick," he says.

 

She's still dazed, he thought inwardly then released a small chuckle. Then Donghae became very much aware of how topless he was. He quickly put on his shirt and walked towards her.

 

"Lee Donghae," he says while offering his hand.

 

"Dara. Sandara Park."

 

Donghae thought her voice was awfully familiar so he confirmed that it was her who was talking at the rooftop earlier. They engaged in small talk until the nurse came and made them hurry to their class.

 

Before sending her off to her own classroom, he invited her to sit with him for lunch. There's something nostalgic about her, I just can't put my finger on it.

 

More than a quarter of the first period has gone by when he entered his own class. Most of his classmates already knew of his behavior since it was an escalator school. The teacher, despite knowing his clumsy character, did not hesitate to reprimand him in front of the class earning a good laugh from the audience.

 

"It's a good thing to hone your craft but please be aware of the time next time, Donghae-yah. Education is also important. Now head to your seat and sit still for the rest of the day," teacher Seo, his teacher, finished his litany.

 

Like a good boy, Donghae headed to his seat and started catching up with what he missed. He smiled as he thought back to the promised lunch together with the girl he met just a few moments ago. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So, you're new here?" Donghae asked.

 

Dara snapped out from her thoughts and tried to focus her attention to the guy sitting across her. It was lunch time and, as promised, she sat with the guy from the infirmary, Lee Donghae.

 

"Kwon Jiyong," Donghae says suddenly.

 

"Huh?" confused Dara says.

 

"The guy you were staring at earlier. His name is Kwon Jiyong."

 

"Oh…"

 

"Eye candy, huh?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"That's what the girls around here says. He's an eye candy."

 

"Oh…"

 

"Are you interested in him?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"Do you know other words besides 'oh' and 'huh'?"

 

Guilty, Dara widened her eyes as her cheeks flushed. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Feeling calmer, she opened them again and looked at Donghae.

 

"I'm sorry, I was thinking about something. And, no, I'm not interested in Kwon Jiyong." She scrunched her nose.

 

Donghae laughed. "Aigoo, you're pretty cute!"

 

"E-excuse me?"

 

"You look like a rabbit!"

 

Dara visibly froze. Rabbit… Why is that nickname so familiar? She thought. Shamelessly, she stared at Donghae. The latter continued talking about random things. He didn't care at all if she was listening or not. Her mere presence, for some reason, was very comfortable for him. It's as if it was natural.

 

Suddenly, Dara stood from her seat and excused herself. Something caught her eye. Apologizing, she promised she's talk to him later after class and walked fast out of the cafeteria. Dumbfounded, Donghae could just shrug his shoulders in acceptance and hold on to the promise of talking again later.

 

He finished his lunch and cleared out his and Dara's trays. A conversation with Dara wasn't enough to rack his brain and find out who she was and why her mere presence felt so nostalgic. Deciding it was too early to go back to his classroom, he went up a floor and headed to one of the school's music rooms. Anything that bothers him will be cleared away with music. It always had.