He Enters a Deal

What We Can See (DISCONTINUED)

He was cold. Very cold. Jiyong wiped his forehead. He was sweating profusely. Something brushed through the nape of his neck and he felt himself shiver. Two sets of crimson eyes followed every small movement he made. Jiyong tried hard to avert his gaze from the looming figures before him but found himself unable to do so.

 

They were saying something. It was incoherent to Jiyong's ears but they were definitely saying something. It was loud yet inaudible at the same time. He suddenly felt dizzy.

 

"Jiyong-goon, are you okay? You look a little pale." The concerned tone of teacher Woo snapped him to attention.

 

"I think I'll head to the infirmary, sir. I'm not feeling very well," Jiyong says.

 

"Will you be alright by yourself?" teacher Woo asks when Jiyong stood up unsteadily.

 

Jiyong just nodded his head and headed out. The two crimson-eyed figures hovered around Jiyong following him. He concentrated on walking  and tried his best not to faint. Everybody's eyes were on him but it wasn't very important at the moment. I have to get out of here, he thought.

 

He walked aimlessly through the deserted hallway. A throbbing headache and an upset stomach wouldn't help him process anything. Unconsciously, his feet lead him to the rooftop. He kept walking and walking until he heard an all too familiar voice.

 

"The rooftop is a very good place to die."

 

Suddenly, his headache was gone and his stomach calmed down. He snapped his head to the direction of where the voice was coming from. Sure enough, he found the little girl Jin Ae.

 

"Few more steps and you would have splattered," she cheerfully said.

 

Looking around, he saw he was standing over the railings of the rooftop. He couldn't even remember how he got there. Regaining his senses, he quickly moved to safety, gaining even more giggles from Jin Ae.

 

"You're stupid, aren't you?" says Jin Ae.

 

"W-what are you?" he forced himself to speak.

 

"You shouldn't let yourself be surrounded by ghosts. You're too vulnerable. You'll die easily." Jiyong was taken by surprise by the seriousness of her tone. He swallowed, calming himself. Only then did he notice nothing was hovering around him anymore. So they really are ghosts, he thought.

 

"Are you one, too? A ghost, I mean."

 

"Am I?" she says, the cheerfulness of her voice returning.

 

"What are you?"

 

"Are you afraid? Be honest, oppa."

 

"Yes," he says. He realized this kid will never answer anything he asks.

 

"Let's make a deal. I can keep ghosts away from you. In return, I'll have you do something for me." She held out her hand.

 

For a brief moment, Jiyong saw some hands  popping from the floor, gesturing him to come over. There were also floating white human-like paleness, some with their limbs barely intact and clothes dyed with what smells like blood.

 

"I'm waitiiing~"

 

"Deal," he abruptly takes her small hand and shakes it. It was cold. Very cold. He didn't see the girl smirk.

 

Everything disappeared and Jiyong was left standing alone in the rooftop. He felt as if a huge load was taken off from his shoulders. He wandered his gaze everywhere and sure enough he saw nothing. He couldn't see them anymore. For the first time since the accident, he smiled. He smiled genuinely.