We Meet Again

What We Can See (DISCONTINUED)

There were still only a few students inside the classroom. Even without looking, she knew. Dara adjusted the sound of the music blasting from her earphones a notch higher. There's a few here, she thought. Eight years has taught her that preoccupying her mind helped drown them into the background. She ignored everything in her path and concentrated on treading her way to an empty seat.

 

If she looked around, she would have seen the little girl who was sitting on top of a desk. She would have seen the boy with the ashen face who couldn't let himself look away from the little girl. She would have noticed the little smirk that formed on the little girl's face when she saw her then disappeared. But she didn't. Instead, she busied herself by solving physics equations while listening to music.

 

"I always knew you would grow up to be so pretty."

 

Dara broke into a cold sweat. She knew that voice. That sweet, giggly voice that almost destroyed her years ago. It didn't matter how loudly music blasted in her ears. The little girl Jin Ae's voice resonated in her brain as clear as crystal.

 

Opening her eyes, she saw her. Jin Ae with her pale pink frilly dress and knee high white socks. Jin Ae with her signature innocent face with the occasional mischievous smirk. Jin Ae with her head plopped on her folded arms on her desk, staring at her with that knowing look in her deep dark eyes.

 

The hair on her nape stood and she could feel goosebumps everywhere on her body. She was scared. Terrified, even. But Dara was smart enough not to show it. She knew more than to show weakness in front of… them. Especially in front of this little girl.

 

Abruptly she stood and stalked out of the room, not caring that it was almost time for class. Like a lamb to the shepherd boy, Jin Ae followed her. When she got to the hallway, she went straight to the stairs. Up she went without stopping until she reached the rooftop. She locked the door and faced the little girl who was now a few good feet away from her, balancing on the rooftop railings.

 

"Typical of you to choose an open isolated space. You've always been smart, Dara-ah. Or should I say, Dara-Unnie?" Jin Ae giggled.

 

"What do you want?" Dara calmly, yet forcibly, asked.

 

"Cutting straight to the point. You're no fun," she pouted.

 

"If you're not going to tell me then at least leave me alone. I really, really don't want to deal with you. Ever."

 

"Hey, don't you even miss me? It's been years since we've seen each other. You're making little Jin Ae cry~"

 

Dara heaved out a deep sigh. "Exactly. I haven't seen you in years and I was happy until the moment you reappeared. I'm not even going to ask how you found me but I want you to stay away from me."

 

That said, Dara stalked back to her classroom. The little girl stared at her retreating back in awe. Dara is shaking but she sure has grown a lot. Well, not in all areas, she thought.

 

"I can't touch her anymore, too…" Her voice drifted on the wind unheard of. She thought back to the glistening object on Dara's wrist. She noticed it the first time she saw her enter the classroom. It was something that wasn't there before. Jin Ae puffed her cheeks and faded away.

 

Neither she nor Dara noticed the figure that has been on the rooftop even before they came. They also didn't notice how the figure ran flustered after hearing the school bells chime indicating classes has started.

 

Everyone was settled down when Dara reached her classroom. Everyone's eyes were directed on her. Even those which belonged from torsos hanging from the ceiling and popping from the floor. Of course, she didn't miss the eyes of the little girl she talked to earlier. They must have seen me talk to her. They know I can see, she thought to herself.

 

She kept her calm. It was hard but she somehow managed. When she heard the teacher telling her to introduce herself, she took the opportunity to talk to everyone. And she meant every single one. With a small nod, she walked up front.

 

"Annyeong haseyo. I'm Sandara Park. I just transferred here today and I hope to have a peaceful school year."

 

She kept her gaze on the little girl with a huge grin remaining unnoticed by the other students at the back of the classroom. She made a deep bow and went straight to her chair, wishing the day would end with her unscathed.