Her Acquainance

What We Can See (DISCONTINUED)

Dara kept on stealing glances on the blonde haired kid in his class. There were two entities floating around him, asking for help. Pathetic, she thought. She saw him shiver, his complexion pale.

 

"Jiyong-goon, are you okay? You look a little sick." All heads turned towards him.

 

He's probably new to this, poor guy, she thought. She knew he could see them too. It was obvious, the way he stared at the ghosts.

 

"I think I'll head to the infirmary, sir. I'm not feeling very well," she heard him say.

 

Is he crazy? Being in an enclosed space alone is dangerous! Her voice screamed inside.

 

She was about to volunteer to take him but he was already out of the door before she could raise her hand. Releasing the breath she didn't know she was holding in, she continued copying notes. It's not my problem, she thought.

 

Then she remembered. The little girl Jin Ae was still lurking around. Innocent and harmless as though she may look, she was bad news. Unhesitatingly, she raised her hand and asked to be excused to go to the ladies' room.

 

Will I make it? She asked herself as she zoomed through the hallway.

 

Ghastly onlookers watched her curiously but she ignored them. Checking the bulletin board, she looked at the map to determine her way to the infirmary. She ran.

 

Huffing and panting, she opened the door to the infirmary as soon as she arrived. Thoughts about Jin Ae filled her mind as she scanned the room for any signs of death. There was so much turmoil going on in her brain that she failed to notice the half guy who awkwardly stood in the corner of the room staring at her with his mouth agape.

 

Nothing. There's nothing here, she panicked. Where did he go?

 

The guy cleared his thought. Dara snapped out of her daze and looked at him. Dark hair, milky skin, toned body… his face, despite the shocked expression, looked very handsome. She had to blink multiple times to assure herself that he wasn't an apparition.

 

The guy cleared his throat. "Umm… Are you okay?"

 

Dara nodded slowly.

 

"Umm… The nurse isn't here. You can use one of the beds here to rest if you feel sick," he says.

 

Dara nodded again. She was trying so hard to sort out her mind that she didn't notice the guy change into his shirt and started walking towards her. When the guy realized she was in a daze, he lets out a small amused chuckle.

 

"Lee Donghae," he says while offering his hand. This seems to have snapped Dara out from her trance.

 

"Dara. Sandara Park." The guy scrunched his brows.

 

"Your voice sounds familiar," he claimed.

 

"My voice?"  Dara asks.

 

"Mhmm. I have sensitive hearing, you see. I can identify sounds just by hearing them once."

 

"Oh… I don't remember ever meeting you before, though," she says.

 

Donghae stared at her for a moment, his face contemplating. Dara stared back. She took the opportunity to take in his features up close. This guy is definitely charming, she thought to herself. After a few moments, the guy finally spoke.

 

"By any chance, were you at the rooftop this morning before class?"

 

Dara froze. He must have noticed since he quickly explained himself.

 

"I heard you talking to someone. You were on the phone, right? I couldn't hear the other person so I thought maybe you were on the phone. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, really. I was sleeping and then I woke up and heard you. I'm sorry."

 

The tension she felt gradually left her body. The stoic expression on her face was replaced with a small smile. She told him it was okay. Their small conversation was halted when the school nurse came. They both bowed and greeted then left.

 

"Why were you in the infirmary earlier?" he asks when they walked along the hallway.

 

"Nothing. I was looking for something but it wasn't there," she replies.

 

"Are you sure? You didn’t really search, though."

 

"It's big and hard to miss. I'm sure it wasn't there," she says nonchalantly. At least, as nonchalantly as she could. She still couldn't shake off the feeling of something bad happening to that Jiyong boy. Somehow, she felt responsible.

 

They stopped in front of Dara's classroom. Donghae invited her to sit with him at lunch which Dara reluctantly accepted. No good making enemies, Dara-yah. You need to have company to be inconspicuous, she inwardly thought.

 

Waving goodbye to her acquaintance whose class is a few doors down from hers, she enters her classroom. Her heart started beating erratically as she saw that Jiyong boy cheerfully sitting on his chair like he wasn't surrounded by ghosts earlier that day. Something's off, she thought.