Chapter V

Rooftops

Minseok sat silent at the window of the guest bedroom staring at the snow falling outside his window. It was the morning and there was already a thin layer of white over everything. Snow usually made him happy but today nothing could.

"Minseok come eat some breakfast." Changmin opened the door. Minseok turned and nodded. Changmin couldn't seem to smile back so he just closed the door went back down stairs. Minseok sighed and stood up from the window sill. Changing knew what happened last night. Changmin was sad with him last night telling he wasn't stupid or foolish. This morning on the other hand Changmin seemed mad. Minseok prayed it wasn't toward him.

 

"What's for breakfast." Minseok asked as he sat at the small table in the kitchen.

 

"Egg sandwiches." Changmin said shortly. This was getting bad and Minseok had to break the tension.

 

"Are you mad at me?" Minseok asked quietly. Changmin stopped and turned of the stove. He walked over to the table and sat down.

 

"No, I'm sorry if I upset you. I'm just mad at that prick."

 

"Luha-"

 

"Yes, I'm angry this happened to you. I'm furious really. I blame him." Changmin growled putting his head in his hands. Minseok wished he was angry that would probably be better the hollow emptiness that came to him this morning.

 

"Thank you for being angry for me." Minseok whispered. Changmin looked up and smiled.

 

"Anything for you Coffee prince." The harsh ring of the phone cut them off and Minseok had a very sinking feeling that it was kyungsoo getting ready to yell at him for being gone all night.

 

"Do you want to answer that?" Changmin asked.

 

"Yeah, I'll spare you." Minseok sighed and got up from the table, going to pick up the phone. He picked up and held a slightly far from his ear.

 

"Kim Minseok! What were you thinking!" Kyungsoo screeched through the phone.

 

"Kyungsoo."

 

"You said you would be back last night but what are you doing at Changmin's house. Why didn't you call."

 

"Kyungsoo."

 

"You could've called, texted, sent a letter. A smoke single would be better than nothing!"

 

"Kyungsoo! I lied to you I went to see Luhan." Minseok finally said and the other end if the line was silent. "Are you there?" Minseok asked scared by the silence.

 

"Oh god, Minseok are you ok?" Kyungsoo whispered so quietly it sounded like he thought Minseok might break. It hurt slightly that Luhan's name only seemed to be followed by Minseok getting hurt. The worst part was, Minseok actually was hurt.

 

"I made a mistake kyungsoo." Minseok sniffled. "I made a mistake and now my heart hurts so bad."

 

"My poor baby. Come home please." Kyungsoo begged. Minseok was crying and Changmin took the phone.

 

"I'll bring Minseok home. Don't worry." Changmin reassured and hung up the phone. Let's get you cleaned up and back to your friends." Changmin frowned and lead Minseok to the bathroom.

 

 

Minseok sat in Kyungsoo's embrace on the couch. The two just sat silently not talking about anything. Minseok was thankful for it because he didn't know what to say.

 

"That's quite a story, Minseok." Kyungsoo sighed.

 

"Yeah, the story of a love sick idiot who thought he could get a fairy tale ending." Minseok said bitterly.

 

"No, it's not your fault. You're not to blame for wanting to be happy for wanting to make it better. It's him who's a mess and strings people along." Kyungsoo insisted. The apartment door slammed open and Kris stood there looking like a mad bull.

 

"What the did he do this time!" Kris shouted.

 

"Calm down, screaming isn't helping anyone." Kyungsoo scolded. Kris sat in the living room and stared at Minseok.

 

"How could you be so dumb Minseok? Did you really think it would work out? That he would be different." Kris shook his head.

 

"Kris would you just shut up you're not-"

 

"I loved him!" Minseok stood up and shouted. Both of his friends were surprised by the outburst. "I loved him with all my heart. I put my all into being with him because I cared and he did too. Is it so ing far fetched to believe that I might want it back. That I might want to take the chance to fill the void in my soul I've had to live with for three years. You would do anything to be with Suho so why is it so stupid that I wanted to try and be with Luhan." Minseok was out of breath by the end of it and everyone was silent.

 

"Minseok I'm sorry I-"

 

"Whatever. I'm going to take a nap." Minseok dragged himself away to his bedroom leaving Kyungsoo and Kris in the living room.

 

 

That afternoon the cafe was open and a steady flow of customers were coming in and out. Jongin and a few other employees were working. Kris, Tao, Sehun were in there for lunch along with some other neighborhood locals. The warm, quiet atmosphere was broken when the cafe door rang and everyone fell silent seeing the person who entered.

 

"Where's Minseok?" Luhan asked and stepped further inside. Jongin put the cup he was cleaning down and came out from behind the counter.

 

"He's not here and you shouldn't be either:" Jongin frowned. The tension in the room grew. Kris stood up followed by two and Sehun.

 

"Get out of here Xiao, I spared your last time but Minseok isn't here and you've royally ed up." Kris growled getting in Luhan's face.

 

"I'm not scared of you Wu." Luhan stepped forward. Sehun and Tao got closer. Taeyeon and some other girls stood up in alarm.

 

"You've got a lot of nerve stringing Minseok along the way you did last night. You've got even more nerve to show up here." Kris shouted.

 

"Last night was a huge misunderstanding. I need Minseok to know that." Luhan insisted.

 

"Seems pretty clear to everyone here. You're a liar!" Tao cut in.

 

"You guys are liars! You're probably filling his head a bunch of bull . The only reason he's so mad is because you guys fire him up." Luhan retorted.

 

"You're crazy if you think Minseok would just run back to you." Sehun scoffed.

 

"I'm not because I know Minseok still loves me and I was this close last night but then this came and ruined it. I was never with her and Minseok needs to know that." Luhan was getting desperate.

 

"Luhan just let it go! Move on and let Minseok be." Jongin slammed the cloth he was holding down on to the counter.

 

"I am not giving up! Minseok is mine and I will be back." Luhan shouted one last time before leaving the cafe.

 

 

Luhan was never one to drink away his problems but after getting back from the scene at the cafe he couldn't see why he wouldn't. He sat drinking, staring at the pictures of Minseok in his house. He had to talk to Minseok because if other people keep calling Luhan names to Minseok he might start to believe it. He might stop loving Luhan and losing Minseok's love meant losing everything. Luhan had said Minseok was his but was he really? Did he already lose Minseok after one mistake?

 

"Luhan it's me." Victoria said as she entered the apartment. She walked over and gasped. "What the hell are you doing?" She picked up the bottle.

 

"Getting drunk, Victoria. What does it look like?" Luhan sneered.

 

"Now you're going to kill yourself over him. Don't drink so much." She took the glass.

 

"You're not getting it, my friend. I wouldn't just kill myself for him, I would kill hundreds of others for him. I would burn the whole city for him." Luhan announced obviously drunk and slurring.

 

"Luhan, you're driving yourself to insanity. You need to stop this." Victoria begged.

 

Luhan stood up on unsteady feet and looked Victoria in the eyes. He smiled.

 

"I'm not going to stop. Not till he's mine again." Luhan said and then wobbled back to his bedroom.

 

Victoria was left there surrounded by empty bottles and pictures of Minseok staring back at her. She should have noticed, she should have stopped it. At the smallest hints of this obsession she should have cut it away but now it was here to eat away at everything. This obsession might be the death of Luhan or even the with the death of them all. She frowned as she looked at what Luhan had really been looking at. He had all but built an altar to stare at as he wallowed in his misery. It was altar to a young man the was more than an ex-boyfriend, he was the manifestation teenage dreams and delusions of immortal beauty. He is the centerpiece of an illusion that Luhan has been living inside his mind. Victoria knew this all along and she knew it was too late to stop it.

 

 

Minseok and his friend's sat down for dinner. Everyone had something to say but they didn't know how to say it.

 

"So what happened at the coffee shop today?" Kyungsoo asked his boyfriend.

 

"Luhan showed up." Kris answered for Jongin. Minseok flinched.

 

"Kris-"

 

"No, I'm sick and tired of this. Minseok shouldn't have to flinch whenever he hears Luhan's name. Luhan shouldn't be act like he owns Minseok!" Kris slammed his hand on the table.

 

The door slammed open and halted Kris's anger. A young man stood in the doorway with bags at his side.

 

"Still acting like a tyrannical father I see." He frowned.

 

"Junmyeon." Kris grumbled.

 

"Not very happy to see your boyfriend." Junmyeon frowned.

 

"Well I'm happy to see you." Kyungsoo stood up and hugged the young man. The two brought the luggage in and sat down at the table.

 

"What are doing back from D.C. so early?" Kris asked holding Junmyeon's hand.

 

"Cause I got a call that someone was losing his temper more often." Kris looked away. "And that my friend needed me." Junmyeon's smiled towards Minseok.

 

"Thank you, Junmyeon." Minseok laughed. "It's late so I think I'll go to bed." Minseok stood up.

 

"Are you sure?" Jongin asked.

 

"Yeah, I'm tired." Minseok nodded and walked back towards his bedroom. He got inside locked the door and crawled into bed. He curled up and stuck his hand underneath his pillow and took out the card. He stared at the golden letters spelling out Luhan's name and number. He wondered how far could he really get from Luhan. How could he rip his heart away? Would he ever be able to escape?

 

 

Author's Note
Back to the grind! I'm back with a new chapter. Last chapter was upseting but sadly this one is still kind of down. It'll pick up soon I promise! New Character enters the story! Junmyeon is here and he was in D.C. for reasons that will be explained in coming chapters. I think I'm going to introduce characters slowly just so things aren't too cluttered. I hope you all like the story and I hope you were all able to check out the pictures posted in the foreward! Please comment and subscribe!