Chapter XII

Rooftops

"How did your date go?" Yujin sat down next to Minseok on the couch. He glared at her and sighed.

 

“It wasn’t a date. It was two friends going out together. I had a great time so don’t ruin it for me by heckling me about it.” Minseok frowned.

 

“Ok, I get it.” Yujin laughed.

 

“Get your coat, We have to go and pick up Baekhyun and Chanyeol from the airport.” Minseok got up from the couch.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to go with me and Baekhyun to check out the venue for the wedding?” Yujin asked as she walked over to the coat rack.

 

“I’m sure, I have to go into the city for a meeting with a catering customer. They wanted to meet in person.” Minseok pulled his scarf on.

 

“Ok, I get it. Let’s go.” Yujin went out the door and Minseok followed.

 

 

 

 

The car had Minseok and Yujin in the front seats and Baekhyun and Chanyeol in the back. Baekhyun was out of his seat leaning into the front of the car with an open magazine.

 

“I can’t decide if I like this one or this one.” Baekhyun pointed to the two white tux next to each other in magazine. Minseok looked at both and was afraid to admit he didn’t see the difference. Baekhyun saw the difference and that’s what mattered.

 

“I think your first instinct is always best.” Minseok answered.

 

“You’re right!” Baekhyun agreed and sat back in his seat. Minseok smiled, having dodged a bullet.

 

“What are you going to wear, Chanyeol?” Yujin asked.

 

“I’m wearing a black tux. I’m going to let Baekhyun pick it out. He has better taste than me.” Chanyeol laughed.

 

“A wedding will be so much fun!” Minseok smiled. The pulled up to the curb by the station and Minseok got out.

 

“You can’t stay longer.” baekhyun pouted out the window.

 

“No, I have a meeting to get to. Yujin will take you over to Tao and Sehun’s place. They’ve got room for you guys.” Minseok waved good bye as the car pulled away from the curb. Minseok turned and went to catch the train.

 

He ran into the station and got to the platform just in time for the train to pull in. He got on and sat down, happy to be out of the cold. The train started again and Minseok was lulled in a trance. He had not idea what Luhan had in store for him this weekend. It could only end one of two ways and both scared Minseok. He was just afraid of getting back together with Luhan as he was of having an all out fight.

 

The snowy buildings and streets that passed by reminded Minseok of the christmas in their junior year of highschool when Luhan took him into the city as a present. The excitement and happiness he felt couldn’t even be explained. Minseok worried he could never feel like that again with Luhan. Even if Luhan understood and apologized for what he did would that be able to make up for all the time they had spent apart. Minseok started to question if he was really still in love with Luhan as he had been before.

 

“Is this what it feels like to fall out of love?” Minseok whispered and watched the window fogg up for a few moments and then slowly disappear.

 

 

 

  

Luhan was in the best mood he had been in all month. He had a real chance with Minseok and that is all he could ask for.

 

“By the looks of that smile on your face it seems you got a date with the barista.” Jinah chuckled from her seat next to Luhan.

 

“As a matter of a fact I did.” Luhan smiled smugly and went back to listening to the meeting. Jinah laughed and looked down as her phone vibrated.

 

“Oh, looks like they took my advice.” Jinah smiled.

 

“Who?” Luhan looked over at her phone.

 

“I recommended that cafe to Hara and Heechul. They are having a garden party for their new clothing line and needed a good caterer.” Jinah explained.

 

“Is Hara having a meeting with the owner then?” Luhan tensed. He was praying in his mind that Minseok was not meeting Heechul.

 

“I hate to say your little barista is having a meeting with Heechul.” Jinah smirked.

 

“You have to be ing me.” Luhan groaned.

 

“I’m not.” Jinah shook her head.

 

“When?” He asked urgently.

 

“Hara said they’re meeting over lunch at noon. The new colombian place downtown.” Jinah flashed the info on her screen.

 

“It’s awfully nice of you to tell me.” Luhan frowned, suspicious of the woman.

 

“What? A person can’t help a friend?” Jinah pouted.

 

“No I’m thankful.” Luhan looked at his watch. It was 11:45. That meant he only had 15 minutes to get to the restaurant to stop Heechul from taking advantage of Minseok. Luhan knew Heechul was a good guy but he could be more friendly than Luhan liked. “I’m not feeling well so I'll be leaving early. Please continue and my secretary will take notes for me.” Luhan stood up and announced to the people in the meeting. They nodded and went on. Luhan rushed out of the room and Jinah was giggling from her seat.

 

He rushed to the elevator and went straight down to the garage. He ran to the sleek black car and got inside. He pulled out into the street a little faster than he should of. It was invigorating to able to go to Minseok and not be afraid of rejection. The mid day traffic was thick and he looked for every short cut he could take. He felt like a man on mission, someone with a purpose. Minseok would appreciate the thought. Even if Minseok is fine and tells Luhan he doesn't need him, he'll say it with a laugh and a smile. And nothing lit up his heart up like Minseok's smile.

 

Luhan wondered if this is what it felt like to fall in love again.

 

 

 

 

Minseok sat quietly at a table in the restaurant. His customer said he could go in under the name Heechul. Minseok was nervous because the restaurant was nice and the man seemed important. He didn't need a reservation simply a name and he was in. It was another minute before Minseok saw a taller man coming right over to him. Minseok stood up and smiled. As the man got closer Minseok offered his hand.

 

“It’s very nice to meet you. I’m Minseok, the owner of  Brew for You Cafe.” Minseok introduced.

 

“It’s a pleasure.” He smiled and took Minseok's hand but instead of shaking it he kissed it.. “I’m Heechul, Hara’s design partner.” He then held Minseok’s a hand a little longer than what Minseok considered normal. He finally let go and took a seat. Minseok followed suit. The man seemed eccentric but that never deterred Minseok before.

 

“So Hara mentioned that you’re having a garden party for your spring and summer collection.”

 

“Yes, we’re planning on having it inside the brooklyn botanical garden. They have beautiful indoor gardens. Have you ever been there?” Heechul asked.

 

Minseok sat silent for a second as he thought of the time he had visited there with Luhan during the cherry blossom festival they hold every year. Why did every other memory Minseok have include Luhan? He had to get out more often.

 

“I have and it was beautiful.” Minseok smiled.

 

“Wonderful then you’ll understand when I say I want the menu to match the theme.” Heechul leaned forward, resting his chin on his open palm

 

“I think I do.”

 

“Then can I ask have you ever experienced romance?” Heechul smiled. Minseok sat silent for a second as the waiter came over and served them glasses of red wine.

 

“Yes, actually I have.” Minseok swallowed and picked up his glass to take a sip.

 

“With me.” Luhan pulled up a seat next to Minseok and that made Minseok spit up a little in his glass.

 

“Luhan? what are you doing here?” Heechul sat back, looking surprised.

 

“Yeah, what are you doing here.” Minseok glared at the man next to him.

 

“I’m here to save you.” Luhan whispered and Minseok frowned.

 

“I’m so sorry about this.” Minseok looked to Heechul.

 

“Oh no, don’t worry. This doesn’t change our arrangement. I have to say I’m surprised Luhan is your old flame. I wouldn’t have guessed.”

 

“I’m just as surprised as you sometimes.” Minseok glared at Luhan again.

 

“Hey.” Luhan pouted.

 

“Will you let me do my job?” Minseok hissed.

 

“I will but that doesn’t mean I’m leaving.” Luhan smiled.

 

“Fine.” Minseok sighed. “So, here’s the menu.” Minseok pulled a menu from his bag.

 

“How did you and Luhan meet?" Heechul asked completely ignoring the menu completely. Minseok sat silent and looked at the man. This was going to be a long meeting for him.

 

 

 

 

Yujin and Baekhyun wandered through the florist and Yujin released a heavy sigh to get Baekhyun’s attention. She needs to tell Baekhyun about Luhan because if she really wanted to make some headway she would need Baekhyun. He had this way of convincing Minseok of anything. Junmyeon usually agreed with Minseok and Kyungsoo didn’t like to intrude so Baekhyun was her best bet.

 

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun frowned.

 

“Well, I didn’t want to tell you now but I think you deserve to know. Luhan came back.” Yujin explained. Baekhyun froze and she saw his twitch before he was able regain his composure.

 

“Has Minseok seen him?” Baekhyun frowned and continued to look at the flowers.

 

“He has. Actually they’ve had a couple of run ins. Minseok is just so broken up about it. Luhan has caused nothing but trouble.” Yujin sighed.

 

“Not surprised.” Baekhyun scoffed. “Please tell me you’re doing something about this.”

 

“Well, I’ve been thinking that Minseok would be less likely to take Luhan back if he found someone who treated him better.” Yujin innocently suggested.

 

“I like the sound of this.” Baekhyun smiled. “Who?’

 

“Changmin.”

 

“Nice choice. Is it going well?” Baekhyun turned to her completely.

 

“It would be if I could convince Minseok to even consider Changmin in that way. Minseok is stuck on thinking of him like a friend.” Yujin said exasperated.

 

“Oh I can fix that.” baekhyun laughed.

 

“Really? You think you can?” Yujin looked skeptical.

 

“I am fluent in the ways of Kim Minseok. I can get him looking in the right direction. In the mean time I have to find out how I can see Luhan.” Baekhyun took out his phone.

 

“Why?” Yujin looked genuinely confused.

 

“I have a personal score to settle.” Baekhyun said cryptically.

 

 

 

 

Minseok walked out of the restaurant with Luhan at his side. He turned to look at the other and a few moments of silence passed between them.

 

“What was that about? How did you know I would be here?” Minseok turned and started to walk away.

 

“Jinah told me and I came to save you from Heechul. He’s a player, who's currently single.” Luhan caught up to walk beside Minseok.

 

“I was doing just fine, Luhan. I can hold my own.” Minseok pouted.

 

“I know but I still worry because I love you.” Luhan smiled. Minseok turned his head to hide the blush blooming on his face.

 

“Well, you’ve done your job, superman. Let me get back home in peace.” Minseok started to speed up but Luhan took his hand to stop him.

 

“let’s hang out for awhile.” Luhan suggested. Minseok looked at him and wasn’t sure whether or not to accept. They had already planned a date. Minseok was content with that. But another outing wouldn’t hurt. It would be easier to decide if he really still loved Luhan.

 

“What are you thinking?’ Minseok asked quietly.

 

“A walk in the park.” Luhan smiled.

 

Minseok wasn’t sure if he actually liked this idea. Especially now that he was freezing his off in the middle of central park. Luhan and him walked hand in hand along the icy paths of the park.

 

“Anything new?” Luhan asked casually.

 

“Chanyeol and Baekhyun came back from boston. They are planning on getting married."

 

“That’s good news. God, We’ve really grown up.” Luhan sighed.

 

“Yeah, sometimes I wish we didn’t.” Minseok frowned. Luhan stopped and turned to Minseok.

 

“Why?”

 

“If we hadn’t grown up, you wouldn’t have left me.” Minseok said simply. Luhan was quick to pull Minseok closer.

 

“Growing up is inevitable and growing up means we make mistakes. Leaving you was my biggest mistake.”  Luhan confessed.

 

“But I thought-”

 

“I know what I said before about wanting the world but you’re not something I can want and just get. I have to earn you, I have to love you.” Luhan looked into Minseok's eyes. Minseok felt his whole body freeze up but not from the cold, he felt warm instead. From his head down to his toes there was a pleasant warmth spreading.

 

“I’ve made mistakes too.” Minseok said quietly.

 

“I could never imagine it.” Luhan chuckled.

 

“I have, my mistake was limiting myself. Compared to you it seems that I never dreamed enough. I mean I barely have a memeory without you in it. I don't get out enough.” Minseok sighed.

 

“What are you talking about. You dreamed plenty. That cafe has always been your dream and you achieved it. Small dreams aren’t bad ones, they’re just small. I realize that now. There’s nothing wrong with being small.” Luhan smiled.

 

“And I guess there’s nothing wrong with being big. I mean I could be the next big thing in the upper east side if everyone keep referring me. You never know I could give you a run for your money.” Minseok laughed.

 

“I hope you do.” Luhan laughed with him.

 

Suddenly a light snow began to fall. Minseok looked up and the sky that was slightly obscured by the trees overhanging the path. Suddenly he didn’t feel the same empty feeling when he looked at the sky. It was filled with hope again. He could run up to his rooftop and feel the same encompassing kind of infinity that he used to. He wasn’t alone. He didn’t have to be alone.

 

“It’s cold out here. Let’s get you some hot cocoa at a cafe.” Luhan huddled close and corralled Minseok toward the shops at the edge of the park.

 

 

 

 

“Yujin, have you seen baekhyun? He left right after he got home today.” Chanyeol said over the phone.

 

“He didn’t come over here if that’s what you’re asking.” Yujin said from the other side.

 

“Then I wonder what he’s up to.” Chanyeol frowned.

 

By this time Baekhyun had already made the trip in to the city and was walking down the street toward Andromeda Inc.. He looked down at his phone and then stopped in front of the towering glass building.

 

“You really made off like a bandit huh, Luhan. A regular rags to riches.” Baekhyun scoffed. He stepped forward through the glass doors and went right up to the desk.

 

“Can I help you?” The young woman at the desk asked.

 

“Is Mr.Xiao in?” Baekhyun asked pleasantly.

 

“Mr. Xiao isn’t in at the moment but I can leave a message with his secretary if you would like.” She offered.

 

“That would be perfect. Just tell him that an Old friend came by. Tell him that time’s up and I’m here to collect.” Baekhyun smiled. The young woman looked a bit confused by the message but she still wrote it down.

 

“I’ll make sure his secretary passes it on.” She assured.

“Thank you and have a nice day.” Baekhyun turned and exited the building. Once outside he sighed and looked up the skyscraper again. “Can’t run from me forever.”

 

 

Author's Note
I'm back everybody. My scheduale has been crazy busy recently because I'm leaving for college soon. I'm leaving next week actually. But that aside, I finally updated. Things are moving pretty well. Now that I updated this I'm going to try and update Divination again before I leave. I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter! Please keep commenting and subscribing. Thank you for reading!