Chapter XV

Rooftops

Minseok was crazy busy with not only getting ready for the fashion opening he was catering but also with helping Baekhyun plan the wedding. The looming holidays were also of concern because he had gotten a few more catering jobs because of them. Word of mouth was powerful advertisement among the elite in New York City.  Minseok felt bad because all this work meant he hasn’t been able to see Luhan since their date but they had been texting the last couple days.

 

Minseok found himself doing just that as he stood in the back working on some food for the cases out front. The room was quiet and the soft sound of the few customers out in the dining area floated in.

 

“Minseok big news!!” Jongin came into the kitchen suddenly.

 

“Oh god!” Minseok yelped and his phone went flying landing in the huge mixer full of batter. They were silent as they stared at the drowning phone.

 

“Jongin!” Minseok snapped.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t think you were going to spook so easily.” Jongin pouted. Minseok sighed and went to fish his phone out.

 

“So what is this news you were so eager to tell me?” Minseok asked as he tried to clean the batter off his phone.

 

“Jongdae and Yixing are coming back tomorrow.” Jongin brightened.

 

“What? Seriously? That seems sudden. I knew they would come back for the wedding but why so soon.” Minseok frowned.

 

“They probably just want to spend the holidays with us. Does it really matter why though? It’ll be great to see them.” Jongin smiled.

 

Minseok had a feeling that Yixing's intentions  were as innocent as wanting to come for the holidays but things were never that simple with Jongdae. There was something else behind this sudden decision and Minseok had feeling he knew what it was.

 

Later that day when Minseok returned to the apartment.

 

“Where’s Baekhyun?” Minseok asked immediately when he came in the door. Kyungsoo looked up from the kitchen counter.

 

“Isn't he over at Tao and Sehun’s place?” Kyungsoo frowned.

 

“No, he’s not.” Minseok shook his head.

 

“Well, he isn’t here either.” Kyungsoo shrugged and went back to chopping vegetables.

 

“He mentioned something about meeting a friend.” Yujin, who came from the bedroom area, cut in.

 

“What friend?” Minseok hung his coat up.

 

“If he said it, I don’t remember.” Yujin’s face looked apologetic.

 

 

 

 

At that time in the city Baekhyun sat down with Luhan and decently nice restaurant. Luhan spoke briefly to the waiter and then turned to Baekhyun.

 

“So why did you ask me here?” Baekhyun frowned, looking at the other man suspiciously.

 

“Don’t look so suspicious. I just want to talk to you about something.” Luhan sighed.

 

“Can you blame me? Last time you asked me out like this you disappeared for three years right afterward.” Baekhyun raised and eyebrow and Luhan was quiet.

 

“That’s fair.” Luhan finally nodded.

 

“So what is it?’

 

“I owe you something.” Luhan took an envelope out and put it on the table. Baekhyun picked it up and looked inside.

 

“Luhan is this a brochure for a wedding venue?” Baekhyun looked confused.

 

“More specifically the New York City venue you always dreamed of getting married in.” Luhan pointed out. Baekhyun took another look and gasped.

 

“Why?”

 

“I might have a friend who might be the owner, who might owe me a favor.” Luhan said casually.

 

“Luhan you didn’t! Why?"

 

“I do owe you, right? For keeping a secret that became a burden you never deserved.” Luhan sighed. Baekhyun was quiet then smiled.

 

“You don’t need to do this. I never took that seriously, the money thing, I mean.”

 

“The woman at the front desk of my building told me you came by looking for that money.” Luhan frowned.

 

“Yeah but that was before you got back with Minseok and fixed things. I was going to do just to be vindictive, to get back at you.” Baekhyun sat back, leaving the brochure on the table.

 

“Well, either way I owe and this is my way of paying you back.”

 

“Friends don’t pay friends for their silence.” Baekhyun scowled.

 

“No but they do help friends out with getting married in their dream venue. I would have done this for you and Chanyeol whether I owed you or not. My friends deserve this much.” Luhan insisted.

 

“Really?” Baekhyun picked up the brochure again.

 

“Really.” Luhan smiled.

 

“Thank you Luhan.”

 

“I know this doesn’t make for things but I’m hoping that maybe I can leave with good memories rather than bad ones. Cause I know how hard it was for to live with the weight of my mistakes.” Luhan explained.

 

“You’ve grown up, Luhan.” Baekhyun whispered. He vividly remembered the time on the rooftop when he said something similar to Minseok but the response he got was a biting one, a bitter one.

 

“I think we all have.” Luhan smiled.

 

Luhan’s answer was positive, sweet. Baekhyun was amazed in that moment what growing up could really do. It could make kind hearts, like Minseok, bitter and selfish ones, like Luhan, generous. It was astonishing how much had changed and how there was no way to know who even your closest friends would be a year from now or even a month from now. Things change, Baekhyun had learned that much.

 

 

 

 

“What’s got you so antsy?” Chanyeol watched Minseok pace around Tao and Sehun’s apartment.

 

“You fiance, that’s what.” Minseok grumbled.

 

“Why?” Chanyeol frowned.

 

“Cause he’s gossip that’s why.” Minseok bristled.

 

“What?’

 

“He’s got that right.” Sehun agreed.

 

“He’s worse than me.” Tao added.

 

“Ok, that's enough form the peanut gallery.” Chanyeol glared at the two younger men. “I don’t get what you’re talking about, Minseok.”

 

“Has Baekhyun been on the phone with Jongdae recently?” Minseok asked.

 

“I think he was a night or to a go but I don’t get why...Oh, you don’t think he told him?” Chanyeol face fell.

 

“Why else would Jongdae and Yixing be taking an overnight flight to get back here so fast. Jongdae found out I’m back with Luhan and now he’s coming back to cause trouble. You and Baekhyun might have grown up but Jongdae is still trouble.” Minseok groaned, falling down onto the couch next to Tao.

 

“Maybe it isn’t as bad as you think. We all came around and now we’re fixing things with Luhan.” Chanyeol offered.

 

“Jongdae doesn’t fix things, he breaks them.” Minseok hissed.

 

“Yeah, it’s like mayhem is his one true calling.” Sehun frowned.

 

“And he does it well.” Tao frowned.

 

“This could get bad.” Chanyeol slumped in his chair. Just then the door opened and Baekhyun was standing looking at the dejected faces of the people in the living room.

 

“What is going on here and Minseok what are you doing here?” Baekhyun frowned. Minseok sat up and propped himself up on the back of the couch.

 

“How could you tell Jongdae!” Minseok screeched.

 

“Tell him what… Oh, I might have made a mistake.” Baekhyun smiled cautiously.

 

“You might have? You definitely have. Now Jongdae is on an overnight flight from Montreal.” Minseok fell back on the couch.

 

“Don’t worry so much, you’ve got all of us to keep your relationship with Luhan safe. Speaking of Luhan I have some good news that might make everyone feel better.” Baekhyun sat down next to Minseok.

 

“What?” Minseok looked over at him.

 

“Luhan made some calls and got us a spot at the Mandarin Oriental for the wedding.” Baekhyun smiled. Minseok sat up.

 

“Really? He did that?” Minseok gasped.

 

“Yeah, he said that’s what friends do.” Baekhyun shrugged.

 

“That’s great you’ve wanted to get married there since high school!” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“Yeah, Luhan did a really great thing for us. Next weekend we’re going to all go visit the venue to talk to the resident wedding planner. Hopefully before then we can foil any of Jongdae’s plans.” Baekhyun sighed.

 

“Let’s hope.” Tao nodded.

 

 

 

It was the late afternoon and the sun was setting as Minseok walked back from Sehun and Tao’s apartment. he was so nervous about Jongdae but he was also really happy for Baekhyun. His stomach was churning with all these different emotions.

 

“Yeah, I’m going to stop by the grocery store before getting home. We need some toiletries and milk.” Minseok said to Kyungsoo who was on the other end of the line.

 

“I’ll be safe. Can’t wait for dinner.” Minseok smiled and then hung up. He was about to put his phone back in his pocket and cross the street when it rang again. He looked at it expecting Kyungsoo but it was Luhan’s name flashing on the screen.

 

“Hello?” Minseok answered.

 

“Hey, what are you doing right now?” Luhan’s came over the phone smooth and quiet.

 

“I’m walking to the grocery store.” Minseok said trotting across the street.

 

“This late?”

 

“It’s not late. I need to pick up a few things. Nothing much.” Minseok chuckled.

 

“I’m in the neighborhood. Wait for me.” Luhan said and then hung up. Minseok frowned and just looked at his black screen. He sighed and looked around the snowy dark streets. He looked back down at his phone and then suddenly he was in the headlights of a car. He looked up and saw Luhan’s black car pulled up next to him.

 

“I didn’t seriously think you were this close.” Minseok said as Luhan stepped out of the car.

 

“I was coming to see you anyway.” Luhan smiled and held Minseok face in his hands before kissing him. “I’ll take you to the store.” Luhan opened the door for Minseok who smiled and got in. the two sat in the back as the car pulled away from the curb and drove towards the grocery. The parked in the small parking lot and Minseok and Luhan got out while the driver waited. Minseok hooked his arm with Luhan as the two walked inside.

 

“What are we here to get?” Luhn picked up a basket.

 

“Toiletries and I might grab some milk because we’re running low.” minseok tried to take the basket my Luhan insisted on holding it. “So why were you in the neighborhood?”

 

“To see you and also to drop Baekhyun off. We went to lunch.” LuHan walked Minseok to the refrigerators.

 

“Baekhyun mentioned that. What you did for him was really nice.” Minseok smiled.

 

“I’m just afraid it will come off as trying to buy their friendship back. I really just want to do this for all of us.” Luhan explained.

 

“I understand and I think the others do to.” Minseok assured. “So there’s something I need to tell you.”

 

“What is it.” Luhan stopped walking to look and Minseok’s downcast face.

 

“Jongdae will be here tomorrow and everyone has a bad feeling about him finding out about is.” Minseok sighed.

 

“Is that all?” Minseok looked up surprised at the man’s response

 

“What do you mean?” Minseok frowned.

 

“Minseok.” Luhan held Minseok's face gently in his hands. “I don’t care what Jongdae does or thinks. I have you and that’s what matters. Like hell I’m going to let anyone ruin that.”

 

“You really aren’t worried?” Minseok pouted.

 

“I mean of course I am to an extent but I know that I’m going to protect us. I believe in both of us.” Luhan smiled.

 

“I do to. Our friends here seem to be on our side to. So maybe we will be ok.” Minseok started to smile.

 

“We will now let’s finish up your shopping. I'm sure Kyungsoo is waiting for you.” Luhan laughed.

 

“Will you stay for dinner. I’m sure Kyungsoo has made plenty of food.” Minseok leaned his head in luhan’s shoulder.

 

“Fine I will.” Luhan nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

“So it sound like we’ll need a game plan for Jongdae's Return.” Junmyeon sighed as they sat down to eat.

 

“This is going to be a hassle. Maybe we could hide it.” Kris suggested.

 

“No Baekhyun totally let the cat out of bag.” Minseok groaned. “No way to hide it.”

 

“Then let’s not! None of us should hide anything.” Yujin exclaimed.

 

“What do you mean?” Jongin frowned.

 

“What if we show Jongdae that everyone here want these two be together so him how much we support them. What can he do to all of us?” Yujin explained.

 

“That makes sense. Jongdae can be tough but if we all stand up to him he can’t take us.” Sohee agreed.

 

“I guess it could work.” Luhan smiled.

 

“I’m willing to try anything.” Minseok sighed.

 

 

 

 

The next morning everyone was getting ready to head to the airport, even Luhan. The ride there was quiet and tense. As the drove Minseok wondered if he was blowing this out of proportion . maybe Jongdae wouldn’t be so bad. That didn’t ease Minseok worries though because he knew Jongdae disliked Luhan long before his disappearance. Jongdae and Luhan just didn’t get along well. Jongdae was cheeky and playful but Luhan was a little more brooding in high school, only really being sweet Minseok. So they heads and got into arguments a lot. When Minseok and Luhan started to date Jongdae was furious. He openly told Minseok that he felt Luhan was a bad match for him, saying things like Luhan was a bad boy who was sure to cheat on him.

 

Then when Luhan had disappeared Jongdae all but said “I told you so”. He felt validated after so many years of insisting Luhan would break Minseok’s heart. Luckily Minseok didn’t have to listen to him for long because he left with Yixing to go pursue an opportunity in Montreal, Canada. So it was an understatement to say that Jongdae and Minseok and Luhan’s relationship weren’t a good mix. Minseok wished it didn’t have to be that way.

 

“Looks like we’re here.” Kris said from the driver’s seat. The parked and got out of the car, making there way to the terminal. Luhan and Minseok tightly held hands as they waited for the two men to come out.

 

“Look there they are.” Baekhyun pointed down the terminal. Yixing was first and he had a bright smile on his face. He walked right up to everyone greeted them. When He got to Minseok and Luhan smiled softly.

 

“I’m happy for you two, I really am.” He whispered.

 

It warmed Minseok’s heart but he he knew he still had a storm coming. Jongdae followed behind and greeted everyone enthusiastically. He got to Luhan and Minseok and everyone in the group fell silent for a moment.

 

“So it’s true.” Jongdae frowned.

 

“It is.” Minseok said sternly.

 

“This is a good thing, we all think so.” Yujin said resolutely.

 

“I agree.” Junmyeon nodded. Jongdae looked a little thrown of the two so support. he gave the couple another look before heading towards the car. Minseok let out a breath he had been holding and Luhan seemed to look a little relieved as well.

 

“I don’t know if we’re out of the woods yet.” Kyungsoo whispered to Minseok. “He could have anything up his sleeve.”They piled into the cars and got on the road.

 

“How about we go out to dinner to celebrate the whole gang being together.” Jongin suggested cheerfully.

 

“I think that sounds great!” Yixing laughed.

 

“Then we’ll go to Mr. Aliberti. He’d be happy to have so many people come.” Kris offered. “Can you call in.” He looked over to Junmyeon in the passenger seat who nodded.

 

“I’ll text the other car.” Kyungsoo took out his phone. In Chanyeol’s car baekhyun got Kyungsoo’s test.

 

“It looks like we’re going out to dinner.” Baekhyun told everybody.

 

“Where at?” Sehun leaned forward to see Baekhyun’s phone.

 

“Abliberti’s.” He glared at the younger and put his phone away.

 

“Just like old times, right?” Tao smiled at Jongdae.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded and took his phone out of his coat.

 

 

 

 

 

The restaurant wasn’t too busy and Mr. Aliberti had cleared a big section for the group. He had known them all growing up so he was happy to have them all together in his restaurant.

 

“Come everyone get settled.” Junmyeon sighed as they all continued to shuffle around chat. Finally they all sat down. The drinks came out and everything seemed to be going well. Jongdae hadn’t said anything more about Luhan and Minseok who were sitting at the other end of the table. So maybe Jongdae wasn’t as mad as Minseok thought he was or maybe this was the calm before the storm. He didn’t want to worry himself too much about it now because it was nice to able to go out with Luhan and his friends together. It was so much like their days in high school, that Minseok couldn’t help feeling nostalgic.

 

“They’re right over here, sir.” Minseok heard Mr. Aliberti come over. Who could he be talking to? So Minseok leaned back to look down the table at who had just arrived. When he caught sight of the mystery guest, he almost fell backward in his seat but Luhan caught him. Luhan looked to see what had spooked Minseok but when he just saw another young man standing at the end of the table he didn’t understand.

 

“Eunsoo what are you doing here?” Junmyeon asked, breaking the silence that had now fallen over the able.

 

“I was invited.” He said casually.

 

“By who?” Baekhyun frowned.

 

“I invited him.” Jongdae smiled.

 

“You little-” Kyungsoo took a deep breath stopping himself.

 

“Minsoek who is he?” Luhan leaned over to the young man. Minseok didn’t answer and just sat there in silence. So Luhan turned to Kris next to him who sighed.

 

“He’s in love with minseok.” Kris said simply.

 

“What?!” Luhan hissed.

 

“He’s been after him since Christmas two years ago. Let’s just say Kim Eunsoo can be a little aggressive when he wants something.” Kris explained shortly. “Now, Jongdae just invited him to the party.”

Luhan felt something start burning inside him and Minseok felt his insides freeze over.


 

Author's Note
Hey guys I'm here, I'm so sorry that it took em so long to post this. I feel bad for making you guys wait so long. School gets busy and then gets better in waves and I had a busy spell for awhile. I hope you guys like this chapter and I also hope you participated in my poll about my next story. The poll will be open till I finish rooftops. I'll put it at the end of this so if anyone who hasn't voted wants to they can. So things are picking up again in this story but don't worry our character will persevere. I'll be working on the update for Divination so please continue to vote and also I would really love your feedback on the story ideas. Tell  me what you might like to see or why you like the ideas. I love hearing from you guys. Alright please continue to comment and subscribe. Thank you all for reading.