Chapter III

Rooftops

“What did you say to him exactly?” Kyungsoo got into Minseok’s face first thing in the morning. Minseok stared down his nose and the younger man.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Minseok frowned.

 

“Well, I do.” Kyungsoo got even closer and bumped noses with Minseok. Minseok swatted at him and got up from the table.

 

“I don’t understand what the big deal is?” Minseok sighed.

 

“The big deal is the man you loved and was betrayed by showed up yesterday and you turned him away. How is that not a big deal?” Kyungsoo stood up and frowned.

 

“Because I say it isn’t.” Minseok countered.

 

“That’s a weak argument at best.” Jongin injected.

 

“I agree with Minseok. We shouldn’t waste our breath on it.” Kris rolled his eyes from the couch.

 

“Be quiet.” Kyungsoo hissed. “I don’t see why we shouldn’t talk about this. It’s a big deal and we should just talk about it, damn it.” Kyungsoo pushed.

 

“No.” Minseok shouted and startled everyone in the room. “I’m done talking about it. I talked myself to death yesterday. I talked away the only good thing in my life. I talked it all away. My happiness and my love. Talking is why I’m standing here and I’m still alone. I’m done talking.” Minseok huffed and slammed the apartment door on his way out.

 

“Great job, Kyungsoo.” Kris spoke first.

 

“Shut up.” He snapped and went back to sit next to Jongin at the kitchen table. “He’s never yelled at me before.” Kyungsoo said and he put his head down on the table.

 

“He’s just upset right now.” Jongin ran his hand through his boyfriend’s hair to calm him, “All the pain he had from three years ago is back again and he was just getting used to not living with it. It’ll take him awhile to calm down again.”

 

“I just have this terrible feeling in my gut that this isn’t the last we’re going to see of Luhan.” kyungsoo hummed.

 

“Why?” Kris looked up over the back of the couch at the couple at the table.

 

“Luhan isn’t one to give up so easily. He’s rich now right? That shows he didn’t give up for three years on this illusion in his head of him and Minseok together. What makes you two think he’s just going to give up just like that.” Kyungsoo sat up and glared at the other two boys. They sat in confused silence.

 

“You’re right.” Jongin frowned.

 

“Great, just what we needed. A rich wacko chasing after our best friend.” Kris grumbled.

 

“Rich wacko? He was our friend too remember.” Kyungsoo was quick to correct the older man.

 

“Friend? Do friends just leave each other without a goodbye? Do you friends break their friend’s heart?” Kris challenged. Kyungsoo was quiet.

 

“No, no they don’t.” He mumbled.

 

 

 

Minseok stood on the street outside his apartment. He stormed out but now he had no where to go. He hadn’t thought it through to the end. So he started walking down the street aimlessly. Eventually, he thought, he would happen on something to do. Finally he reached a small city park. He crossed the street and sat on one of the benches on the path that cut through it. He took a deep breath and leaned back.

 

“My life is such a mess. Someone come and save me.” Minseok groaned.

 

“The neighborhood’s one and only coffee prince needs saving. Allow me to volunteer.” A voice answered. Minseok sat up to see who it was.

 

"Changmin!" Minseok smiled. The older man sat next Minseok on the bench.

 

“I heard the news from Taeyeon who heard it from Sherry. Luhan really had the guts to show up here againz?” Changmin laughed.

 

“Yeah, and I had the guts to tell him to leave.” Minseok shook his head.

 

“But why do you seem so happy about it? Do you regret it?” Changmin turned to the other.

 

“No!” Minseok answered immediately. “well...yes. No. Maybe?” Minseok smile awkwardly.

 

“Minseok, it’s ok not to be sure.” Changmin frowned.

 

“Is it? Because everyone seems so happy I turned him down but why aren’t I? I was so sure of myself when I was doing it but now I don’t know if I was right.” Minseok explained.

 

“Minseok, you were right to turn him down but it’s also normal you’re having second thoughts. You loved Luhan and you have even through the three years he’s been gone. What he did was terrible and heartbreaking so that’s why you pushed him away. But now you’re hurting even more because it’s hard for someone to have to push the person they love away. Especially when part of you wishes you didn’t have to. ” Changmin reasoned.

 

“I never thought of it like that. What would I do without you?” Minseok sighed.

 

“You could do plenty without me.” Changmin ruffled Minseok’s hair. “Well, I gotta be going coffee prince. Find me if you ever need to talk.” Changmin stood up and left. Minseok smiled after him.

 

 

 

 

“I always knew Changmin had a thing for Minseok. Look at him flirting so shamelessly” Luhan growled as he sat in the car watching the scene in the park. Victoria sat next to him and rolled her eyes.

 

“They were just talking. Were you this jealous when you two were together?” Victoria asked.

 

“When we were together? Victoria, me and Minseok are still together. It’s just a rough patch.” Luhan corrected.

 

“There’s your first problem. It's over Luhan, Minseok made that clear yesterday. It might be over but I guarantee you Minseok still loves you. He’s just pushing you away cause he knows that’s what’s best. What you need to do now is take advantage of the fact he still loves you. He’s already expressed he's not willing to forgive but what you’re going to do is make him more willing. And the first step is going to apologize but nothing else. Just tell him you’re sorry and won’t bother him again.” Victoria instructed.

 

“How do I know this is actually going to work?” Luhan frowned.

 

“Just do it.” Victoria huffed and pushed the man out of the car. Luhan looked back and glared at her. He brushed off his suit and started to walk towards Minseok. He took a deep breath and cleared his throat. Minseok turned around at the sound. Luhan was frozen when Minseok’s eyes fell on him.

 

“What are you doing back?” Minseok said and Luhan was struck by how scared Minseok looked. He wasn't angry or harsh. He was quiet and cautious.

 

“I came to apologize.” Luhan started.

 

“I think you did enough of that yesterday.” Minseok looked away. Luhan sat slowly on the other end of the bench.

 

“No, this is different. I’m not expecting anything. I’m not asking you for anything. I just want to say sorry and that I understand you can’t forgive me. What I did was horrible and I hurt you.” Minseok slowly looked back over to Luhan. “I won’t come around here. I know it’s over between us and I hope one day we can be friends again. That’s it so I’ll leave now.” Luhan stood up and turned to leave. He took a couple of steps hoping Minseok would stop him.

 

“Wait.” Luhan felt himself let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. He turned back to the young man. “Do you want to get a coffee with me?” Minseok asked. Luhan eyes widened and he looked back to Victoria in the car. She violently shook her head.

 

"I can't I have meetings till late today." Luhan said and the slight disappointment in Minseok's eyes made Luhan want to punch himself for letting it happen. He frantically tried to think of something to help it. Then it came to him. "But here's my card. Call me when you're up for it again." Luhan hands the business card to Minseok.

 

"Wow, fancy." Minseok laughed nervously.

 

"Yeah, I guess." Luhan scratched the back of his head. "I'll be going then. Good bye." Luhan waved and walked back to his car. He got inside and glared at Victoria.

 

"Give me one good reason why I just refused a coffee date with the love of my life." Luhan snapped.

 

"You want Minseok to think about you and if you go on that date it will really be over. You need him to brewd over this a little longer. When he's really ready to see you he will call you." Victoria explained.

 

"This better work." Luhan crossed his arms. "Drive." He called to the chauffeur. They pulled out from the curb and drove back in the maze of streets headed back toward Manhattan.

 

 

 

 

Minseok was dumbstruck staring at the business card. He could call Luhan whenever he wanted. It was like the distance between them had suddenly disappeared into thin air. He was even further haunted by the sudden request he had blurted out. Coffee? He wanted to go out to coffee with his ex-boyfriend who he had a terrible break up with, to say the least. But Minsok couldn't shake how familiar Luhan was at that moment. On the days they would fight, Minseok would always run for refuge in the bedroom and without fail 20 minutes later Luhan would be crawling his way back into the bed. Whispering apologizes and purring out every love confession he could think of. Just like that he would find his way right back into Minseok's heart. Today Luhan had the same puppy like air around him. The same soft voice that Minseok remembered too well.

 

"Can my life get anymore disastrous?" Minseok groaned.

 

"What are you about?" Jongin stood in the doorway. Minseok quickly slipped the business card under his pillow so Jongin couldn't see it.

 

"It's nothing. I think I banged my wrist the other day. I'm just being over dramatic." Mineok smiled and shook his head.

 

"Oh, ok." Jongin said and was about to turn to leave.

 

"Wait, Kyungsoo doesn't hate me now, right?" Minseok asked quickly, remembering how he blew up at the younger earlier today.

 

"No, he's not mad. He knows you're under a lot of stress right now. You'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be just fine." Jongin assured.

 

"Thanks, Jongin." Minseok smiled. Some how Minseok knew his life form this point out would be anything but 'just fine'.

 

 

 

 

A few days later, on Tuesday, after the encounter with Minseok, Luhan was pacing around the living room of his Manhattan penthouse apartment. Victoria sat and watched the man impatiently groan as his phone continued to sit silent on the coffee table. Victoria couldn't help but notice the large amount of photos Luhan had displayed. There were normal ones of him and family, friends, and even ones of him and Minseok. But what was disturbing was the amount of photos of just Minseok by himself. Dozens of pictures capturing Minseok at random little moments of his life. It reeked of borderline obsession, that Victoria felt it better to over look.

 

“Why hasn’t he called?” Luhan finally asked.

 

“I told you to be patient. What don’t you understand about this taking time?” Victoria huffed, rolling her eyes.

 

“I’ve already been apart from him for three years. You can understand that this is hard, right?” Luhan frowned.

 

“I know but I’m trying to help. Just trust me.” Victoria smiled, trying to reassure the young man.

 

“I trust you. I do but-” Luhan was cut off by the faint sound of his cell phone ring. He froze and then shot over to the coffee table, all too eager to pick it up. “Hello?” He said slowly.

 

“Um….Luhan, is that you?” Minseok voice rang out from the other side. Luhan thought he might faint from how absolutely surgery and enchanting Minseok voice sounded right next to his ear.

 

“It is!” He said cheerfully not wanting to leave the man unanswered.

 

“Oh good, you had said I could call you so-”

 

“Yes, I did say that. How can I help you?” Luhan said quickly.

 

“Well I wanted to extend my invitation from before to you again.” Minseok explained carefully.

 

“Yes, of course. Let me check my calendar.” Luhan cover the phone and brought it away from his ear. “He’s asking to go to coffee again. Do I say yes this time?” Luhan looked at Victoria.

 

“No.” Luhan's face dropped. “You need to up the ante, go to dinner instead. A nice one but not too nice. Make it a little more intimate” Victoria added.

 

“Right.” Luhan nodded and brought the phone back to his ear. “How about I take you to dinner. I’m more free in the evening. It will be nice. my treat.” He said pleasantly.

 

“Oh no, I can’t let you do that. Dinner can be expensive I-”

 

“Don’t worry Minseok. I think it’s an understatement to say it’s the least I can do. So how about dinner this friday night?” Luhan suggested. There was a small silence that followed and Luhan’s imagination went to the image of Minseok terribly sweet thinking face.

 

“Ok...dinner it is then. How about 6?” Minseok asked.

“6 it is. I’ll see you then.” Luhan smiled and the call ended. He put down the phone and looked at Victoria, his smile even wider. “I have a date with Kim Minseok.”

 

Author's Note
Sorry this chapter took longer than I expected. I got a little stuck on the midle of it but I got through! My updateing scheduale will probably never super regular but I promise it won't like three month in between chapters. So the plot thickens! Minseok's finding his way back to Luhan but will it last? We'll just have to see in the next couple chapters. Thank youa ll so much for subribing and comment so please continue too. You guys are the best! I get the next chapter out soon.