Chapter XIV

Rooftops

Minseok was woken up by the sun coming in through the windows looking out on the park. He sat up on the couch and stared at the busy city and the long expanse of central park that laid before him. This was the view people dreamed of. He thought it would be nice to have a cafe with this kind of view. He looked around the room and found Luhan standing with his back to him in the kitchen. Minseok stayed quiet and watched Luhan moved around the room. There was a lightness to the man’s step and it warmed Minseok’s heart to think he caused it. Luhan had a strong back for his small frame. It’s from years of soccer in high school and middle school. He was the captain.

 

“When did you wake up?” Luhan looked surprised when he turned around and saw Minseok awake on the couch.

 

“I just did. I was just looking at your back.” Minseok pulls his legs to his chest.

 

“My back?” Luhan chuckled.

 

“I was really jealous of you in high school. You looked so much stronger than me.” Minseok shrugged.

 

“You were pretty strong, Minseok. You just didn’t flaunt it around. Me on the other hand got into a fight every other week.” Luhan let out an airy laugh as he walked back over the couch and leaned over the back looking down into Minseok’s eyes.

 

“They used to call you names. You had a lot of pride, you still do.” Minseok said simply.

 

“The fights were over you actually.” Luhan whispered.

 

“Me?” Minseok frowned at this new information.

 

“Yeah, when I heard someone was talking bad about you I would fight them. I didn’t like them talking about you like that.” Luhan explained.

 

“You always said-”

 

“I lied because I didn’t want you to know what they said. I didn’t want to see you hurt.” Luhan looked away.

 

“I could have taken it.” Minseok sighed. “I’m not made of glass.”

 

“I know that now but back then I was a hot head who had just gotten himself an insanely cute boyfriend, who was way out of my league. I had something to prove.” Luhan shrugged. Minseok giggled and held Luhan’s face in his hands pulling him down into a kiss. It was soft and brief. They pulled away and smiled at each other.

 

 

 

 

“Minseok didn’t come home.” Yujin stood in the kitchen. Junmyeon continued to read the paper in his hands, not moving to acknowledge her. Kris wanted to say something but he knew better and stayed out of the bad energy between the two people.

 

“He probably just stayed at Luhan’s last night.” Junmyeon said flatly.

 

“He should have called then.” Yujin sighed.

 

“Maybe but he’s a grown up, he can take care of himself.” Junmyeon turned the page of his paper.

 

“Kris.” Yujin looked to the other man in the room to back him up. Kris just shook his head at her and looked away.

 

“Has Minseok come back?” Sohee asked as she came in yawning.

 

“No and he hasn’t called. You think this is ridiculous, right? Minseok is traipsing around with his horrid ex, not even calling us.” Yujin immediately latched on to her sister for support.

 

“Well…” Sohee’s eye drifted to Junmyeon who looked at her calmly. “I think everyone might have a point. We need to lay off a little bit. I mean it that he didn’t call but what can we do. He can take care of himself. Minseok is really smart, Yujin.” Sohee said , tensing in fear of her sister’s reaction.

 

“Are you just hell bent on turning my entire family against me?” Yujin snapped at Junmyeon.

 

“How is it my fault if everyone but you can see the error of their ways. The only person alienating you , is yourself.” Junmyeon put down the paper and looked Yujin straight in the eyes. There was a long thick silence in the room until Kyungsoo and Jongin walked in. Jongin went straight to the door to go to work for the morning. Kyungsoo entered the kitchen.

 

“One of you should leave now before you start a nuclear war in my kitchen.” Kyungsoo hissed looking at the two angry people.

 

“I’ll go. It obvious that I’m not welcome.” Yujin huffed and grabbed her coat, going out the door before Jongin could leave.

 

“Yujin!” Sohee tried to go after her but Kyungsoo stopped her.

 

“She needs sometime to think. Sit down and have some breakfast.” Kyungsoo looked at the girl softly. Sohee nodded and walked over to the table to sit with Junmyeon and Kris.

 

“You and Yujin need to end this all out war you two are in.” Kris finally spoke. Junmyeon put his paper down again and looked his boyfriend in the eyes.

 

“I won’t stop until she comes to her senses. She needs to realize that whatever happened to her after Luhan’s disappearance has nothing to do with Minseok. Her problems are her own.” Junmyeon huffed.

 

“What are you talking about?” Kris frowned.

 

“Luhan had made a promise to Yujin all those years ago that he would marry Minseok and take care of him. After he disappeared, she felt like he hadn’t only betrayed Minseok’s trust but also hers. So she’s always had her own reason to be bitter towards Luhan.” Sohee explained.

 

“I know where she’s coming from. Only recently did I realize that my beef with Luhan has nothing to do with Minseok.” Kris slouched in his chair. “I just don’t know what to do with it now.”

 

“You didn’t tell me.” Junmyeon looked surprised.

 

“Yeah, I had a good talk with Chanyeol at the garage. I see now that I have my own to work with Luhan.”

 

“I’m proud of you.” Junmyeon smiled and held Kris hand in his. Kris hadn’t seen his boyfriend smile like that since this whole ordeal started and the sight made his heart feel a little lighter. Maybe he could work this out.

 

“I’m going to talk to Minseok. I want to see Luhan. i need to talk to him.” Kris sat up straighter.

 

“That’s a good step forward.” Kyungsoo said from the stove.

 

“It really is.” Junmyeon squeezed Kris hand and Kris held Junmyeon’s hand tighter.

 

 

 

 

Minseok found himself staring off into space again sitting up on the couch with a cup of coffee in his hands only when Luhan sat next to him did he take his eyes away from the window.

 

“So, what is it like being a CEO?” Minseok asked bluntly.

 

“Tiring and sometimes rewarding.” Luhan said shortly.

 

“Sometimes?” Minseok tilted his head to the side.

 

“Even the best business men don’t win every deal. It’s ok cause I work with good people so at least I know we don’t lose for lack of trying.” Luhan explained.

 

“People like Im Jinah.” Minseok smiled.

 

“Yeah, does Sohee really work for her?”

 

“Yeah, It’s a small world I guess.” Minseok chuckled.

 

“I like to think of it as the universe telling us not to be apart. It was trying to connect us in little ways.” Luhan leaned into Minseok.

 

“Wow, these years have made such a sappy romantic.” Minseok laughed.

 

“Do you not like it?” Luhan smirked.

 

“I actually think it’s cute. You were passionate when we were younger but everything you said was pretty clumsy. I could get used to this new found suaveness.” Minseok smiled.

 

“Good, cause I got better for you. I’m not a clumsy little boy anymore.” Luhan leaned his forehead against Minseok’s.

 

“Neither am I.” Minseok got closer and connected their lips. It was innocent at first but slowly Luhan added his tongue and Minseok open his mouth for him. As it just started to heat up Minseok’s phone went off on the table. Minseok pulled away, surprised. “I forgot I had unsilenced it.” Minseoked looked at Luhan apologetically.

 

“It’s fine.” Luhan laughed.

 

Minseok picked up that phone and looked at the text, it was Junmyeon.

 

I hate to be a downer but if you really care about us you would come home so your sister won’t explode on us. She’s out right now but there’s no telling how fired up she might get when she comes back.  

 

Minseok sighed and put the phone down and looked at Luhan with a sad look. Luhan immediately returned it.

 

“I’m be asked to return to save my friends from the wrath of Yujin.” Minseok pouted.

 

“That must be hard. I think you should go too.” Luhan nodded.

 

“I know I just wish I didn’t have to. I’m just as scared of my sister as they are, probably more. I’ve been putting up the cold front but it’s only a matter of time before I break and she comes in for the kill.” Minseok groaned.

 

“I know you’ll be strong. You mentioned that Junmyeon is being supportive of you and if I remember right Junmyeon can easily go head to head with Yujin without flinching.” Luhan smiled.

 

“Yeah, he is a great ally. Well, I guess it’s time to face the music.” Minseok stood up from the couch and went to get his coat.

 

“I’ll take you home.” Luhan got up as well.

 

“It’s fine, you don’t have to.” Minseok frowned.

 

“I want to.” Luhan pulled on his coat and pecked Minseok on the lips before leaving the apartment. Minseok smiled as he followed the other man to the elevator.

 

 

 

 

The streets were cold and icy when Minseok stepped out on the sidewalk below his apartment. Luhan got out with him and joined him on the sidewalk.

 

“Thank you so much for the ride. It was nicer than taking the subway.” Minseok hugged Luhan.

 

“Your welcome. I am always happy to take care of you.” Luhan smiled. Someone cleared their throat and the two turned to see Kris standing there.

 

“Oh hi, Kris.” Minseok said carefully.

 

“Hey, I was wondering if I could talk to Luhan.” Kris sighed. Minseok could see Kris was a lot calmer than he been all the other times Luhan had been around.

 

“I don’t mind. Go inside, quickly. You’ll get sick.” Luhan kissed Minseok’s forehead and he nodded. Slowly he pulled away from Luhan and went inside. Minseok felt nervous as he went up the stairs to his apartment. What if Kris lost his temper and hurt Luhan or vice versa. He didn’t want to see either of them hurt. Minseok got inside the apartment and everyone seemed to be sitting around doing various things. Junmyeon was the first to notice him.

 

“It’s good to see you back?How was your date?” Junmyeon asked with a wide smile.

 

“Yeah spill!” Sohee jumped up from the couch. Minseok was surprised that his sister sounded so happy for him. He felt so warm when he realized everyone in the room was sitting waiting to hear about what a good time he had.

 

“Well, we went to central park and people watched. Then he took me to this amazing little place in little italy and then we went back to his place and watched Benny and Joon. I fell asleep sorry, I didn’t call.” Minseok rubbed the back of his neck.

 

“It’s ok. That means you were having a good time.” Kyungsoo laughed.

 

“Yeah, I did.” Minseok nodded. He entered the room completely and then the door opened again. He expected to see kris but it was Yujin standing in the doorway. The atmosphere got tense and Minseok and Yujin started at each other.

 

“You’re back.” Yujin said flatly.

 

“I am. Luhan dropped me off.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Yujin just spit it out.” Minseok sighed.

 

“You already know how I feel.” Yujin frowned.

 

“Yeah and I think you’re an idiot.” Minseok said with a straight face. Everyone tensed when they heard it.

 

“What?” Yujin spat.

 

“You’re letting this ruin our relationship? Is our bond as family so weak that just because I’m dating someone you’re just gonna turn your back on me?” Minseok stepped forward.

 

“It’s not because you’re dating. It’s because of who you’re dating.” Yujin growled.

 

“I get it Luhan ed up. He broke your trust but guess what he broke my heart and that’s way more painful than what you’re going through. Just admit it Yujin this has nothing to do with Luhan and everything to with the fact I’m growing up and you can’t stand it.” Minseok shouted.

 

A dead silence followed as they stared at each other. Everyone watched on in caution not wanting to do anything to cause the situation to get worse.

 

“Maybe you’re right.” Yujin said in a small voice. “Maybe I just don’t want to let go. If I do you won’t need me anymore.”

 

“Yujin.” Minseok softened and walked toward his sister. “How could you ever think that?”

 

“You’ll have Luhan and you won’t need to me take care of you, to love you.” Yujin looked away, her eyes getting wet.

 

“Yujin I’ll always need your love because your love and Luhan’s are different. They’re two kinds of love that can’t replace each other. Everyone needs both. Everyone needs feel love from both family and a lover. It makes us feel whole.” Minseok hugged his sister close.

 

“Minseok please don’t hate me.” Yujin hugged him back.

 

“I never could.” Minseok smiled.

 

“Group hug!” Baekhyun shouted and everyone ran up and joined the hugg. Minseok and Yujin almost fell over from the force. They all started laughing and minseok wiped Yujin’s tears.

 

 

 

 

Kris and Luhan walked down the street together and for the first few minutes they were silent. They didn’t make eye contact and when the hit the second street corner Kris finally stopped and turned to Luhan.

 

“So what do you want talk about.” Luhan turn to Kris.

 

“About us. About what happened." Kris sighed.

 

"I ed up. I hurt you really bad and friends shouldn't do that." Luhan said bluntly.

 

Kris was surprised with how frank Luhan was. He thought he would have explain to the man what he had done but it seemed like he had actually realized it.

 

“I guess in so little words you’re right.” Kris shrugged.

“What do you need to do? Hit me? Scream?” Luhan asked. kris just sighed.

 

“No, I just need to know. What were you thinking? You knew all of us would beupset if you just left.” Kris frowned.

 

“I never thought I would be gone so long. It was never supposed to happen the way it did. I meant to come back in a year, even less. I wanted surprise you all but then…” Luhan’s voice trailed away.

 

“Then?”

 

“Then I got in over my head. The man I was working for he just kept piling on more meetings, more trips, more work. And eventually a year passed. There was more work, more meetings, more parties. We got bigger and bigger. I didn’t even know who I was anymore. It’s not a good excuse. I let myself get caught up in the money and the fame. I didn’t forget you guys, I wished everyday I could come back but I knew that you wouldn’t want me. When I finally came back to New York I finally made up my mind. That I would try and get Minseok. I would just try.” Luhan was completely still when he finished.

 

“It sounds like you had a pretty crazy road to get here.” Kris sighed.

 

“I mean you guys were angry, hurt. Anything I felt could never compare.” Luhan looked away.

 

“No, it can.”

 

“What?”

 

“Wanting to come home and knowing no one will want you there is pretty heartbreaking. We were all in pain and we all made mistakes. I want you and Minseok to be happy now. I can’t say things are fixed but at least everything is out in the open.” Kris smiled a little bit.

 

“You have every right to be angry, Kris.” Luhan whispered.

 

“Anger won’t fix anything. None of us will move on if I stay angry, if any of us do.” Kris huffed. “Now get out of here and be back on wednesday.”

 

“Wednesday? What for?” Luhan frowned.

 

“Chanyeol told me to invite you to the suit fitting. You know him and Baekhyun are getting married and he wants you to be in the wedding party. We’re going to be meeting at the tux place on wednesday, you know Mr. Kang’s.” Kris explained. Luhan was quiet for a second.

 

“Really? He wants me there?”

 

“We all do Luhan, especially Minseok. If things are going to work out between you two. You’ll have to reintegrate.” Kris chuckled.

 

“Yeah, I’ll be there. Thank you.” Luhan smiled.

 

“Don’t thank me, thank Minseok for being a good soul and taking you back. I’m heading back to the apartment.” Kris nodded and walked back down the street. Luhan stood there in silence and smiled before turning back to head for his car.

 

 

 

 

Kris walked into the apartment and the first thing he heard was laughter. he closed the door and looked towards the living area where everyone was sitting on the floor cuddled in blankets holding various hot drinks. Minseok was the first to notice him and called him over. he went and sat down next to Junmyeon who wrapped his blanket around Kris.

 

“I can see we’ve all made up.” Kris smiled at Yuji, minseok, and Sohee who were all sitting together.

 

“How did things go between you and Luhan?” Minseok asked, with a slight frown.

 

“Good, actually. I think you’re right Minseok. Luhan is trying to be better and I can appreciate that.” Kris reassured the boy.

 

“That’s good. Did you remember to invite him on Wednesday?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Yeah, I did. He seemed really happy.” Kris nodded.

“I think we can all say we’re happy today.” Baekhyun laughed.

 

Author's Note
Hey,I'm finally back. I had a lot of work due these past couple weeks and couldn't finish this chapter too fast. But now I'm here. So we're about to enter the last arch of this story which means it's not over yet. That sounds kind of ominous. Don't worry it won't be too bad. I'll have the new chapter of divination up a little faster than this one. i have a some more time free at the moment! Love you all. Please continue to comment and subscribe. You know how much I love to see what you have to say. Thank you for reading!