Chapter IV

Rooftops

The few days it took to get to Friday felt like a painstaking journey to Minseok.  He had to hide his dinner meeting with Luhan from his friends. The ordeal made him wonder to himself  when his friends had become more like overprotective parents and less like best friends. He would like to say it was just over these past few days but really they’ve been like this since Luhan's disappearance. Minseok's whole life felt slightly monitored. But that was an issue for another day. For now his main concern was to make sure they continued to believe his story about going into Manhattan to check out a new model of French press currently on sale.

 

“I could go with you.” Jongin offered for the third time. Minseok turned around causing Jongin to stop following behind him.

 

“I want to go alone, Jongin. It's been awhile since you guys gave me any breathing space." Minseok sighed.

 

"Breathing space? Do you feel smothered." Jongin frowned.

 

"Kyungsoo is a bona fide helicopter mom and Kris is like a grumpy dad who thinks I'm still the innocent little kid I was years ago." Minseok complained. He saw how down Jongin looked and he put his hand on his shoulder. "I know you guys are like this cause you care but I can go out one night by myself. I'm a grown up, I need to be independent."

 

"I understand." Jongin nodded. The conversation was cut off by the ring of the cafe door and the ding of a machine finishing it's work.

 

"Let's get back to work." Minseok smiled and lead the way out on the floor.

 

 

 

 

Luhan stared at himself in the mirror. He couldn't seem to find a single thing he thought looked good on him. He couldn't look like a fool, not when he was actually getting the chance to win Minseok over tonight. Everything had to be perfect or else it will have all gone to waste.

 

"Antonia, bring me the blue ensemble. I want to try that one."

 

"Of course." The young woman disappeared from sight and Victoria came in to take her place.

 

"Blue is going to be the best." Victoria commented.

 

"You think?" He turned to her.

 

"Yes, and I also think you should be careful not to go overboard." Victoria say down on the bed.

 

"I know you may think I'm a complete idiot but I'm not when it comes to Minseok. I know what he likes. I know what makes him happy." Luhan frowned.

 

"I don't doubt that but sometimes you get a little eager." Victoria shrugged.

 

"It's fine don't worry so much. This is Minseok and that means I know best." Luhan shook his head. Antonia came back in with the blue outfit. Luhan looked at it and smiled. "You were right. This one would be the one. Minseok always liked the color blue on me the most." Luhan smiled.

 

Victoria wasn't sure how to take it but in that slight moment just before Luhan seemed so serious. She was struck by just how heavy this was. This isn't just winning over some cute boy to Luhan. It's getting back the person he plans on spending the rest of his life with. It makes Victoria wonder what it was about Minseok that had Luhan so love sick. What had the two been before Victoria met them.

 

 

 

 

Night was slowly falling and Minseok was the last person in the cafe. He stood at the register and went through the money for today. It was almost 6 and Luhan would be here any minute. Minseok nerves were going haywire. He had himself all strung up like this was their first date and he wanted to make a good impression. He looked up from the register and watched the sunset settle of the street outside. Soon he would be in the bustle of Manhattan surrounded by buildings higher than his heart could ever reach.

 

The door jingled and Minseok moved his attention to the well dressed man standing in front of him. Minseok was about to speak but was suddenly embarrassed when he realized the state he was in. Messy hair,coffee stained apron, and smudges of flour and coffee grinds still sat on his face from clean up.

 

"I'm sorry are you not finished cleaning up yet?" Luhan asked as he walked closer.

 

"I just have one more thing to do then I promise I'll clean up. I really look like a mess." Minseok laughed.

 

"It's cute." Luhan smiled.

 

"Don't flatter me." Minseok rolled his eyes.

 

"I always think you're cute. Especially when you're a mess." Luhan leaned over the counter slightly. Minseok could feel his face heat up intensely.

 

"I'll be back!" He squealed and disappeared to the back of the shop. He quickly put the money in the safe and went into the small bathroom. He splashed water on his face and looked into the mirror. "Get a hold of yourself. You're almost 30! Stop acting like a flustered school girl." Minseok snapped at his reflection. Minseok cleaned up a little bit more and then went out to meet Luhan.

 

"Are you ready?" Luhan asked.

 

"Yup." Minseok said as he grabbed his coat and hat.

 

 

 

 

The car ride was less than comfortable. Minseok didn't know what to say or if he should even say anything at all. I mean it wasn't like there wasn't anything to talk about. There was three years worth of things to say but Minseok seem to spit out a single one.

 

"I don't remember you being this quiet." Luhan said, breaking the silence.

 

"It comes with age, maybe." Minseok shrugged.

 

"Maybe." Luhan smiled. Minseok wanted to ring Luhan's neck cause God damn it why did he have to smile that stupid smile and make Minseok’s stupid heart do back flips? “I think we’re here.” Luhan said as the car slowed to a stop. Luhan got out and Minseok was about to open the door when Luhan came around and did it for him.

 

“I’m not some hopeless damsel I can open my own doors.” Minseok sighed as he stepped out.

 

“I know that but I also know you like it anyway.” Luhan shrugged. Minseok was stunned silent. Of course Luhan would remember that. Of course he would remember every little thing that Minseok loved about him. Because the universe wants to make it even harder on Minseok that it has already.

 

“Let’s go eat some dinner.” Minseok said and walked straight to the door. He just needed to get through this and then he can pretend like it never happened.

 

 

 

Luhan couldn’t explain the overwhelming joy he felt when he sat down across from Minseok in the quiet high end restaurant. He got a reservation at a smaller place he had been before. He knew Minseok wasn’t into anything too fancy or experimental so it was just a classic Italian place. Minseok had yet to make eye contact with Luhan since they got inside but he didn’t mind because he knew with every blush and stunned silence he was closer and closer to winning Minseok over again.

“So you finally got the cafe.” Luhan started to make small talk.

 

“Yeah, I got it for a good price and all the guys put money in to help me buy it. Oh and of course my sisters too.” Minseok looked up from his lap.

 

“How are your sisters? Is Yoojin still in California? How about Sohee?”

 

“Yoojin is still in L.A. and Sohee ended up going to stay with her. They’ll be back for christmas.”

 

“That’s great.” Luhan smiled. The waiter came to their table and put down their food. “I never knew you liked chicken parmesan.”

 

“I didn’t really before but one time on a road trip with the guys, we got stuck at this restaurant along the highway. The waitress whispered to us and told us that the only edible thing in the place was the chicken parmesan so that’s how I started eating it.” Minseok explained animated.

 

“What a story! Talk about last resort.” Luhan laughed and Minseok joined him.

 

“Is that Luhan!” A nasally voice rang from behind him. He froze because he knew that voice and he felt the annoyance in the pit of his stomach start to rise. He turned.

 

“Phoebe.” He frowned.

 

“If it the prince of New York!” Her shrill voice squealed as she approached on her gaudy pink heals.

 

“Phoebe I’m sorry but I’m with someone right now.” Luhan tried to deter her.

 

“With someone? This kid?” Phoebe pointed her manicured finger at Minseok who looked down in embarrassment.

 

“Don’t be rude.” Luhan snapped.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean too. I’m Phoebe Van Kamp.” She held out her hand to Minseok, who shook  it cautiously.

 

“If that’s all phoebe, please leave.” Luhan rushed.  He didn’t want her to stick around.

 

“Look who’s being rude now. I thought we were friends Luhan.” Phoebe pouted.

 

“Friends?” Minseok asked quietly.

 

“Oh yes!” Phoebe turned to Minseok with a big smile. “Very very good friends. Isn’t that right Luhan darling.” Phoebe smiled turned sickening smile. Luhan looked panicked because he could see something dawn on Minseok’s face.

 

“You dated her?” Minseok whispered.

 

“No!” Luhan shouted.

 

“How could you?! I thought we had something special.” Phoebe frowned. “Don’t listen to him.

 

“ off!” Luhan hissed. Phoebe looked really spooked but shook it off.

 

“I just think your little date here deserves to know the truth. I mean everyone has exes.” Phoebe shrugged

 

“You lied to me.” Minseok looked at Luhan. “You said you were never with anyone else.”

 

“Sorry, sweetie but he was with me. We had a bad break up is all. I bet he got someone new right after.” Phoebe grinned. Minseok looked disgusted.

 

“Never, I never dated her or anyone else.”

 

“You might have not dated but you ed her right!” Minseok raised his voice.

 

“Please-”

 

“I can’t believe I came here. I can’t believe I actually thought for a second that you actually cared.” Minseok got up and started leaving. Luhan grabbed his arm.

 

“Why would you think for a second I would ever want someone like her.” Luhan growled.

 

“Don’t rich douche bags like you like people like that, shallow and pretty.” Minseok pulled his arm away.

 

“Minseok this is ridiculous. How could you believe her bull?”

 

“I don’t know who to believe but I do know I waited for you for three years. I don’t why I thought you would do the same. I was right the first time, I was never enough for you.” Minseok said tears welling up in his eyes and then he ran out of the restaurant. Luhan stood in complete shock. How could this be a complete utter disaster.

 

“It’s you and me now, Luhan darling.” Phoebe’s sickening voice came from behind you.

 

“How could you?” Luhan whispered as he turned to glare at her.

 

“Maybe you shouldn’t have rejected me and made me the laughing stock of Manhattan. You embarrassed me in front of the gala last year and now I getting you back.” Phoebe hissed.

 

“You evil !” Luhan snapped. Phoebe walked right up to Luhan and looked him in the eyes.

 

“It takes one to know one.” She glared and then her heel. She walked away never looking back.

 

 

 

 

Minseok sat on the dimly lit subway crying, sobbing harder than he can ever remember he has before. He didn’t care who saw or what anyone thought. All he could do was cry. Every rattle of the train and flicker of the lights was ignored as the few passengers in the car watched the poor young man unravel before their eyes. He was cold and that made it worse. He was alone and that made it heartbreaking.

 

“That poor little thing is falling to pieces.” An older black woman whispered to her friend.

 

“Must have had his heart broken. What a shame.” Her friend whispered back.

 

Minseok knew he might have over reacted. He knew that the girl might have been lying. But what if she wasn’t? What if he had fallen for all Luhan’s pretty smiles and even prettier lies? It was the “What If” that scared him the most. He had been living in “What If”s for three years now. What if he had loved Luhan more? What if he was smarter or prettier? What if Luhan had never left him? Minseok couldn’t live like that anymore. Minseok couldn’t stand  to get hurt, not again. Never again. The train stopped and Minseok looked up to see the doors open. He stood up and slowly made his way off. he stood on the dark platform only being able to see as far as the platform lights lit. he sighed and looked at his phone. It was late and he didn’t want to go home. He didn’t want to have to tell his friends that he had lied to them, went to meet Luhan, and got his heartbroken again. He needed comfort not “I told you so”. So he started to make his way toward the best place he knew to hide. It was a long walk through the cold streets and snow started to fall. he didn’t stopped and finally made it to the door of a tell brick home. He knocked on the door.

 

“Who is it?” A voice crackled over the intercom.

 

“It’s Minseok.” he said through his stuffy nose and shaky voice. It was silent and then the door flew open. Changmin stood in the doorway.

 

“God, what happened?” He looked at Minseok’s red face and tear filled eyes. Minseok opened his mouth but instead of saying anything he just started to cry again. Changmin pulled him inside and shut the door. He hugged Minseok close. “It’s ok. I don’t know what it is but I know you’ll be ok.” He whispered and held Minseok even tighter.

 

 
Author's Note
Hey, guys! A  new chapter, that's great. Things go wrong, that's bad. Don't worry everyone hold in there! I hope you all  like the chapter. I have a good feeling I'll be able to get the next one out fairly quick. Just so everybody knows I put pictures of all the characters in the Foreword so go check that out if want to see who will be in the story and what everyone looks like! So please comment and subscribe and keep on reading!