604

T Minus...

Jaejoong cooking | T minus... (Jae's army diary)A/N: I can't think of Jaejoong without thinking of food, and I've imagined his team mates doing such a good job of giving him a chance to watch Junsu that he simply has to return the favour. (For obvious reasons, ie. my non-existent photoshop skills, I couldn't put together an pic of JJ cooking while properly dressed. I hope the brass will forgive this.)


Could I spend my enlistment as a cook? We had that discussion at home before I left and back then I thought it might be more fun than slogging through the mud. At the very least, it was something familiar to look forward to, when everything else was so very much not.

Now I think that I like cooking too much to do it as a job. Is that weird? Or selfish? Wanting to keep something just for myself? Something I can do for family and friends whenever the mood takes me?

Cooking for friends is fun and zen and all sorts of good things. When I first talked to my sergeant, I didn't think they'd let me do it. But provided we passed early inspection, sitting my team mates down and feeding them a special "last-night" dinner was strangely not an issue. And after the deal they'd all made for me, this was something I really wanted to do.

I couldn't make it a surprise though. Not they way they'd done. So I asked at lunchtime whether they fancied a dinner that wasn't mess hall food and… so, yeah.

Actually, it was a heap of fun. They let me have a corner of the industrial sized kitchen and a stove with eight burners. Eight! I felt like a TV chef. The way the guys kept coming over to peek… and taste… and then hung around to talk food… and tasted some more.

I think I made three batches of everything before we got to dinner and it made a lovely looking spread. Only thing missing was the soju. We had great company instead. And the food was barely on the table before it was gone. Can't ask for more of an accolade, can I?


A/N 2: I'm not sure if there'll be a diary entry tomorrow. It depends a little on what we hear, I think. In my experience, completion is a miserable, emotionally exhausting day that leaves you totally out of sorts. And that's just for the families. We, after all, got to walk away at the end of the day. Our boys did not. It's a milestone passed, though, and hopefully the rest of his enlistment will go smoothly. Thank you so much for reading and cheering me along!