Chapter 2

Unspoken Words.

Your POV

“How often we must bear the challenges of life;

The endless roller coaster between happiness and sorrow;

The constant ups and downs of daily strife.

And always the question remains, why?

Life is not an easy road for most;

It twists and turns with many in the road,

Although always, and inevitably, we are given a choice ...”

 

The beautiful poem by Kit McCallum danced across the classroom. You love literature classes as they always make words expressive, meaningful and filled with life.

 

Beep beep.” You mentally face palmed yourself for forgetting to turn your phone into silent mode. You did not want to acknowledge to it but everyone was looking at your direction.

Embarrassed, you stood up and bowed to the class. “Joe-song-hab-ni-da.” The teacher looked at you with furrowed brows and you bowed to her.

 

You sat down and sneakily took a peek at your phone.

Text message by So Hee:

I’ve found this newly opened café, let’s go after school! Love ya. (:

 

My best friend is indeed a café fanatic. You laughed to yourself looking at the text.

 

You drifted off into the world of literature once again and focused. Time flies so quickly unlike math classes and sadly, class had to end early today as your teacher wasn’t feeling so well. You were both dejected and delighted to be able to leave class early. Sad that your favourite subject ended earlier and happy that you were able to avoid those girls.

You waited for So Hee at the school gate and texted her your location. Scrolling through the SNS, you were too focused and got an extreme shock when a hand tapped your shoulder. “Don’t you walk with sound?!” You exclaimed and was still in the state of shock. “I did. You were just too focused.” She glared.

 

Both of you arrived at the café So Hee recommended. It was a café with a nostalgic theme. Vintage furniture and prints, alongside with classic music. The ambience of the café was good and everything was on point. “Knew you would like it.” So Hee gave you a nudge and a wink.

“Tables for two, thank you.” You girls were seated and orders were taken. It didn’t took long for both of your food to arrive. “Yum! This French toast is so good!!” Slurping them down your throat, it felt like a parade was happening in your mouth. You offered So Hee some of your food and so did she. Both of your eyes were gleaming with joy. “Good food, good ambience and good company. Couldn’t ask for more.” You squealed and your best friend laughed at how you were easily satisfied. You girls talked about anything and everything under the sun - gossips, idols, family, cosmetics and even guys.

 

“So, how are you and JB oppa?

“Fine?” You answered and continued drinking your green tea latte.

“It’s been so long already, why don’t you confess? What if he ends up with another girl?” So Hee’s eyes were filled with worried. Being your best friend, you told her everything about you, and so did she. She knew your greatest secret, that you were in love with JB for a long time and has always encouraged you to get together with him. She once told you that her sixth sense sensed that JB was in love with you too.

 

However, you did not want to take any risk. Oppa may seemed nice to you, but you have never wanted to misunderstand any of his sweet actions as love. You believed that all he did for you was for a little sister. Besides, you hate changes. If you were to be rejected, everything between you and oppa, all the memories you two had for years would mean nothing and you fear that that would happen.

 

“You know he’s nice to me only as a sister.” You replied soullessly and heaved a heavy sigh.

So Hee reached out her hand and patted your head. “Fine fine, let’s drop this topic. We will go shopping later to lighten up your mood girl.” You shot a smile which meant yes please.

 

JB’s POV

Days have been the same: school, dance practice, home, sleep, and the cycle repeats. Today, my brothers and I have decided to take some time off from dancing. All of us needed some time off to chill and recharge. Skateboarding, cycling, basketball, eating chicken with maekju, we did it all.

 

I laid down on the grass field with my arms behind my head, and enjoyed the night view my eyes captured. Stars were twinkling and the moon was beautiful. The gentle blowing of the wind was cooling as well. Relaxing and comfortable. I enjoyed dancing too. In fact, I love it. Just that, in this bustling and hectic city, nights like this sometimes were definitely better.

 

“What’s on your mind bro?” Mark approached and laid down next to me. “Ani. Just relaxing.”

“Can I ask you something?” Mark’s sudden question startled me and I nodded.

“Do you think Eun Jae will like me?” I blinked my eyes a several times, letting my brain absorbed what I just heard. Does Mark likes Eun Jae? They only met each other for less than eight times?!

“Well, she did mentioned that you were handsome and sweet. An ideal type that a girl will like their boyfriend to be.” I spoke monotonously. “Oh, and your tumbling were great too.” His set of white teeth could not be kept. He couldn’t stop smiling.

 

I would be that happy too if she were to praise me like that. I was jealous. I was in love with Eun Jae since young. Those days when we hung out for movie marathon at each other’s house, pillow fighting, baking and cooking; every little moments spent with her were etched clearly in my mind and they all meant so much to me. The day she moved in to stay with us, it was actually the happiest day of my life. I was able to spend so much time with her and that thought always makes me so happy. I would always step forth to protect her and do whatever it takes to make her smile and laugh. Unfortunately, she hasn’t notice any hints I dropped for so many years. She has never once praised me like she did to Mark or even Bam Bam. I betarrow-10x10.png she has never once seen me more than just an older brother.

 

My inner thoughts just made me felt even bitterer than before. Seeing that smile on Mark’s face, it was like a dash of salt on my open wound. I could not show it though, I could only act like it doesn’t hurt me at all and if they ever get together, I would definitely give them my blessings. For my best brother and best sister. 

--

 

 

RIP LKY.