Chapter 1

Unspoken Words.

Your POV

Looking out of the window, staring at the clear blue sky and fluffy white clouds were certainly your only source of entertainment. Even looking at birds chirping and branches swaying would be fine. Mathematical symbols and arithmetic terms goes in from one ear and comes out from another. You have never like mathematics and lessons would always feel like a dread; all your soul and energy away. Moving your focus to the clock, there was only 5 more minutes to the end of school. Time just seems to be moving so slowly and every minute seems like eternity.

 

“Rrriinnggg!!” The most soothing sound in school could be heard. You packed your stuff and stretched your arms a little before leaving the classroom. You were so beat from staying up last night to complete your literature assignment which was due the following day and sleep was the only thing you wanted.

 

As soon as you stepped out of the classroom, a flock of girls dashed towards you.

Seriously, did they like stalk me or something?

“Eun Jae-ahh, can you please help us pass these gifts to JB oppa? Jaebal~"

“You’re his sister, shouldn’t be a big deal!”

 “You can always ask us for help if you need any!”

“Do help us put in a couple of good words~”

 

Honestly, you were not paying much attention to what they were actually saying. It was not the first time and you were used to it as well. Besides, it doesn’t seem like there was a way you could get away with it without saying yes. You just sighed and nodded. All the girls started squealing and shoved their gifts into your arms. It was all stacked up and you could barely see the way you’re walking.

I should be hugging my bolsters, and not these gifts. You face palmed yourself mentally and barely managedarrow-10x10.png to get out of school without dropping anything.

After walking a few streets down from school, you did a thorough scan around your surrounding and threw all the gifts away, “As usual.” You mumbled and sighed. You hated yourself for doing that. You did not like the thought of wasting those girls’ moneyarrow-10x10.png or even their parents’ hard earned savings. Thinking back at the very first time you helped those girls passed those gifts to oppa, he did the same thing as you did. You couldn’t bear to tell them as they would not believe you and would accuse you for not helping. You really wished you weren’t that helpful that very first time.

//~

 

“I’m homed!” You rushed out of your room after hearing that familiar voice. Standing with your arms folded, you pouted and hissed. “Yah! Can you please tell those girls to not get you any more gifts if you’re not accepting any?! You’re making me a bad person do you know that!” A warm pair of arms were lugged around your body. “I’m older than you.” He whispered and snickered.

After a hard struggle to get out of his arms, you just glared at him. “There there, oppa will try my best to stop them okay? Now stop glaring. Won’t your eyes burn?” He laughed and all you could do was to roll your eyes.

 

“Are you two fighting again?”

“No appa, we’re not. I’m showering this dongsaeng of mine with lots of love.” JB replied and nudged you to agree with him.

“Yes uncle, he sure is.”

“Better be!” Aunty exclaimed. “Dinner’s ready. Wash up and eat.”  

“Neh!” Oppa and you replied in unison.

Dinner was as usual. Calm and peaceful. You all would take turns each to talk about your day and uncle would crack a number of small jokes in the middle.

“Yah! Can you eat properly? You’re dropping a lot of food!” You pouted and whined about having a small mouth unlike him. Aunty laughed at the adorable siblings fight and you two both laughed as well.

 

Everything was lovely until uncle reminded you about tomorrow. “Eun Jae, just to remind you, it will be your parents’ death anniversary tomorrow. I will fetch you and JB after lessons to pay them a visit.”

“Oh. Alright and thank you uncle.” You had to hold up a strong front for the rest of the night. It has been 3 years and by now, it should be better. However, it wasn’t. You were still not as strong as you wanted yourself to be.

 

You went to study in your room at 8pm. It was a rule set by uncle that everyone should not be doing their own things or hiding in their room till 8pm. He called it the ‘family time’. It took you quite a while to get used to that rule when you first moved in. The rule sounded ridiculous and unreasonable. After adapting to the Im’s tradition and got used to it, family time felt meaningful and warm.

//~

 

“Ahhhhh~” You stood up and stretched. Looking at the clock, it was already past 10pm. After sitting and focusing for two hours straight, you definitely needed a good stretch. Just then, you could hear a soft knock. “Am I disturbing you?” You looked over at the door and shook your head with a smile.

“I betarrow-10x10.png you had a tough night.” You nodded and sent a small smile. Oppa would always be able to read your expressions. He knew you like an open bookarrow-10x10.png. He would call it the siblings’ telepathy, but you knew it wasn’t. You two aren’t blood related and you were never able to understand him. It was more like oppa’s quick wits and smart brain. Oppa sat on your bed side and patted the space next to him.

 

“Tomorrow’s the day.” You mumbled as you sat down. Picking up the photo frame by your bed and looking at your family photo, you were reminded of the past. The day both your mother and father died in the car accident.

 

That day, you were in that same car as them. Scrolling your phone, you were not paying much attention to the road. Besides, you knew your dad was a meticulous driver. “BAM!!” Everything happened too quickly and upon sub-consciousness, you knew you were crowded by a lot of people and sirens could be heard. The very next memory you had, was that you woke up lying in a hospital bed and were told that your father died at the accident scene and your mother did not managearrow-10x10.png to pull through after the surgery. With that, uncle and aunty Im decided to be your guardian since they have been friends with your parents for a long time. You did blame your parents for not taking you along with them, but as you grew older, you came to realise that they loved you so much that they want you to live a good and meaningful life.

 

Tears gushed out as flashback went pass your mind. You let those tears flow. Oppa did not stop you from crying. He sat next to you quietly and rubbed your back. He knew you needed that cry and you were thankful for his little act. It was what you needed the most. “They are doing fine.” Oppa broke the silence. You nodded and hugged the photo frame real tight. You can’t help yourself but to miss them. Your only regret was that you did not have a chance to be filial and take care of them. ”Mum and dad, I love you.” You muttered and placed a kiss on the family photo.

 

“Go catch some sleep alright, you need it. Goodnight Jae.” Your body did as was told and you lied on your bed. Oppa removed the photo frame from your hand and tucked you in bed. He dropped you a soft peck on your forehead and soon after, you drifted off to sleep.

//~

 

You walked towards the familiar silver Lincoln with your hands grabbing tightly onto your bag pack straps. You stopped and took a deep breath before opening the car door. Uncle and aunty greets you with a smile and you smiled back. Oppa came soon after and we drove off to the cemetery. The air felt heavy and so were your legs. Every single steps you took were heavy and reluctant. In your mind, you knew you had to get it over and done with, but in your heart, you still could not bear to.

 

Each of you took turns to place the flowers on the grave and you were the last. You stood still. You were reminded of the days when you were having picnic with your parents, those moments at lotte world, and even the times you helped your mum with the house chores. All the little images and memories pieced themselves together and tears welled up. You wiped them off and tried your best to put on a fake smile. All you wanted was to portray the best of you in front of your parents. Oppa rustled your hair and said “Aunty and uncle, don’t worry okay, Eun Jae is doing very well in life and in school, except for her maths.” You hit him lightly in the chest and scoffed it off. You knew oppa was trying to lift the mood up and you were thankful for that.

 

“We love her and we will always take care of her. She is like our daughter.” Those words from aunty warmed your heart and you gave a hug to thank her. You felt more at ease with the help of the people around you. Comfort words were heartening and sincere words were soothing. That day when you lost some things, you gained some things as well. 

--

 

Hi all! Hope the introduction of 'Unspoken words." is alright. I tried writing all my chapters longer, but I can't seem to do it. Hahaha. So hopefully the length and content is okay! Cheers.