!! epilogue; evermore

my friend mr. fox
Please log in to read the full chapter

30

EVERMORE

 

One of the things Jinyoung never understood was why him, out of all people, was so lucky to have Gongchan in his life. It was cheesy and cliche to think this way, but that was the way he truly felt. Who would have thought that that odd fox who became a boy, with his ridiculous white hair, ears, and tail, and mystical blue eyes, was going to have a normal life, all thanks to Gongchan and his mother, who took him in. It was a dream come true, even though he barely admitted it out loud.

Gongchan on the other hand, couldn't believe he had Jinyoung. As much as he refused to admit it growing up, as much as he pushed him aside, there was always a part of him who was grateful that Jinyoung was by his side. Now that he's older, it's a different story. Jinyoung is part of his reality. Without him, he wouldn't have made it this far. That's why he's not afraid to say it; tell Jinyoung how much he loves him and needs him by his side.

They made a promise that they would stay together at least until they graduated, but Jinyoung and Gongchan both now that they meant it for far longer than that. There's no way that either of them would part ways at this point in time.

 

---

 

It's graduation day, and Gongchan is petrified by the thought of walking in front of hundreds of people; students, parents and teachers, who will all be looking at him when he crosses the stage.

His stomach is tingling, and he feels like he's about to throw up. He holds onto his stomach nervously, and curls up in his seat.

He can't do it. There's just no way. Not alone, at least.

Sunwoo is sitting in the row in front of him, too busy talking to his classmates to notice Gongchan's state.

Jinyoung is in his row, but at the other end, so there's no way that he can actually speak to him or get his attention.

Junghwan is two rows back, so that doesn't help him much.

He's on his own, stuck between his classmates which he's probably never talked to through the entirety of high school, about to vomit all over the floor. It's even more nerve-wrecking when the speaker begins calling them up to the front in rows, in order to recieve their diploma.

I have to go outside, he thinks. But there's no discreet way of actually doing that thanks to how many people are packed in the auditorium.

Then there's a change of feeling in his stomach, and this time he thinks he'll actually throw up.

Suddenly, someone pats his back in a soothing matter. It's difficult to explain, but Gongchan knew almost right away who it was.

"Jinyoung, I can't—"

"Shh...," Jinyoung hushes him and holds onto his shoulder. "Don't overthink it," he says, "there's nothing to be afraid about."

"What if I trip? Everyone will see me, and they'll laugh, and—"

"Then I'll trip too," Jinyoung says, and Gongchan sighs.

"That's so dumb," he says, wanting to appear annoyed, but he fails miserably. It's actually rather sweet that Jinyoung would do something like that--or at least say that he'll do it.

"Nothing will happen," Jinyoung says, and holds his hand. "I promise."

He smiles.

"You better be right," Gongchan mumbles.

Then their row is suddenly called, and Jinyoung has to go back to his position, as much as Gongchan hates the idea. But he's calmer now that he's spoken to Jinyoung. He somehow convinced that nothing will in fact happen. At least that's what he hopes.

Before he knows it, Jinyoung is crossing the stage, with his long, navy blue gown, and oxford cap. He doens't understand how he does it, but Jinyoung always manages to look good in whatever he wears, even if it is a regular graduation outfit.

Suddenly, it's Gongchan's turn. He doesn't know what to expect as he crosses the stage; doesn't really know what to do. In his head, the only thing he's repeating is the teacher's orders: walk, recieve diploma, picture. Over and over again, until he's made it across. The sound of people cheering makes him a little less anxious, specially when he's nervous to the point that his hands are shaking.

He starts to remember everything that has happened throughout high school. He remembers how he met Sunwoo, how jealous he was of Junghwan for hanging out with Jinyoung, and how unexpectedly Shinwoo appeared and dissappeared in his life. Somehow, everything became a good memory, now that is was all over. No matter how stressful it all seemed at one point.

In the crowd, his mother must be proud of him; Sunwoo and Jinyoung must be waiting for him; and Junghwan must be smiling from his seat. The thought of all of this makes his chest feel warm and fuzzy.

He's made it.

He's finally made it.

Gongchan can hardly remember shaking his teacher's hand, recieving his diploma, taking the picture, walking down the steps. Everything happened in a flash, and he's so incredibly happy that there's an almost permanent smile on his face.

 

---

 

After the ceremony, they all go to get ice cream, as they had previously planned. Gongchan's mother had offered to drive them their, but they all insisted that they would walk there instead, for old time's sake.

Gongchan and Sunwoo are walking side by side. Jinyoung and Junghwan are chatting in front of them.

"Remember when we thought they liked each other?" Sunwoo says, and Gongchan laughs.

"You were so angry," Gongchan says, "you even convinced me to help you separate them."

"Don't remind me," Sunwoo groans, and runs his fingers through his hair.

"You brought it up," Gongchan replies, and st

Please log in to read the full chapter