Epilogue : Twenty Years Later

Searching For Avalon

 

“There’s too many people in here!”

“Well, it is the twentieth anniversary of Avalon right?”

The girl blushed, not having expected a response to her empty complaint from the school principal. Donghae ruffled her bowl cut hair, offering his hand. “Let’s move in, shall we?”

The long line of kids cheered as their teacher walked them inside the most popular section of the museum. The man smiled as he heard the gasps and whispered cries of excitement at the pictures and names of the fighters. The automatic lights slowly awoke, as if from a deep sleep and shed a comfortable light on the young mops of hair.

“Be careful!” he said and let the kids run to the spots that enthralled them.

“All the teachers taken a day off?”

Donghae turned around and grinned. “Hoya! Or should I say, Chief Commissioner Lee?”

The two old friends embraced each other, oblivious to the kids who were thrilled upon seeing their principal hug one of the most respected people in the city.

“Does that mean Donghae saem was also…”

The girl in the bowl-cut was shushed as a small group gathered around the tallest kid. Mason Wu looked around to make sure the adults weren’t eavesdropping. Satisfied, he straightened up and folded his arms across his chest.

“Don’t you know?” he started. “Donghae saem was the representative of Paragon when the International Court signed off Avalon. He was one of the Hidden, along with Chief Lee.”

More excited whispers, interjected by the words ‘the Hidden’, began spreading among the kids until another kid’s voice distracted them.

“Hey guys look! It’s him!”

Donghae and Hoya watched as the little kids left their previous objects of interest and ran towards the most crowded corner of the room.

“Always the spotlight of the party,” Hoya smiled, shaking his head. He blinked his tears away as a tall kid pushed through his friends and began reading out the words from the screen next to the bust.

“Nam Woohyun, also known as the Black Knight, was the leader of the revolution that overthrew General Lee’s dictatorial regime and reinstated democracy with the help of Avalon and the military forces of the International Court. Born on 8th February 1991, Nam Woohyun was forced to leave Paragon when the General took over and was preparing for the historic Battle for Avalon in the outskirts of West Paragon, in an unknown island. October 17 is celebrated as Avalon Day all over the still unified state of Paragon, a decision that all the district leaders had collectively made in light of the sacrifices that several people, including Nam, had made on this day.”

Mason furrowed his eyebrows and was startled when a hand touched his shoulder. He turned around and widened his eyes. “Donghae saem!”

“Why did you stop reading? Ah, well, that’s all we have about him.”

Mason glanced at the kids around him and whispered in the older man’s ears. “But there’s no mention of my father and his friends.”

Donghae smiled and looked at Howon, who was already waving goodbye and leaving the room. He reassured Mason’s disappointed and confused gaze with a mischievous smile and said, “Your father knew he was doing the right thing when he decided to dissolve EXO. Kris had helped us enough during the revolution. And perhaps, it was better that no one knew what strange things your father and his friends could do.”

Mason gasped. “So he was a part of the revolution!”

Donghae stood up straight and took the kid’s hand. “Everyone was, Mason.” He found a group of girls surrounding a glass case next to the bust, knowing fully well what had caught their attention. His grin fading away, he quietly walked out of the hall, his head hanging in contemplation.

“What are you staring at?” Mason intervened, pushing the girls away. They scowled and whined, asking him to move his pillar of a body away.

“Why are your parents so tall?” one girl muttered. Mason sniffed and looked away, turning his gaze towards the object that had caught their attention.

“That’s just a worn-out photograph,” he complained. “You can’t even see the face of that person.”

“That’s the best part,” another girl whispered, an air of mystery and amusement in her voice. Mason blushed when she looked at him, recognizing the unique light in her eyes that her father Byun Baekhyun had passed onto her. “They say that she was Nam Woohyun’s lover.”

Both boys and girls began exchanging excited assumptions and imaginated variations of what she might have looked like. Someone commented on her long hair, flying in the breeze, while some girls verbally swooned at the way the Black Knight was gazing at her.

“They look like they’re on a beach,” Mason said, slowly showing some interest. Byun Jiyeon was right; the mysterious identity of the girl in the photograph was its very charm and the little caption didn’t help much.

The only known photograph of Nam Woohyun, allegedly taken by a fellow Hidden member on the cliffs of the unknown island that was the training camp for the revolution. The identity of the woman in the photo is unknown and blurred out.

“Maybe she’s the one he killed himself for,” the girl in the bowl-cut commented. She squirmed in discomfort when all eyes moved towards her. “I-I-I heard it from my elder brother. He had seen it happen.”

“Tell us please!”

The girl was surrounded by pleas while Mason, trying to feign disinterest was quietly praying that the shy girl open .

“Well,” she murmured. “He told me that when the agreement was signed, all the Paragon forces began pulling out. He had been hiding in the Central Paragon Library and about four hours after they had been kept there, they were told that it was over. They heard that something big had happened at the General’s house and that’s where everybody went. My brother told me that he saw a body being taken out of the building, which he later found out, was the General’s. Seconds after that, paramedics entered the building and reported that no other bodies were there.” The girl, aware of the attention her words had grasped, took a deep breath in. “Few minutes later, two bodies stumbled out of the door. One of them was a man, holding a dead body in her hand. The other one was probably a friend or an accomplice. My brother says that that body that was being carried wasn’t human, it looked like one of those scary creatures in the horror movies. He said that the man carrying it was Nam Woohyun and that the moment the paramedics took the body from him he collapsed to the ground and stabbed himself with a needle. He died on the spot.”

“So it is true,” Jiyeon commented, her eyes shining with unshed tears. “He sacrificed himself for her.”

“Her?” Mason said, his skeptical voice trembling with curiosity.

Jiyeon nodded and pointed at the picture. “That body must have been hers. Even though Paragon had achieved freedom, he probably didn’t want to live in a Paragon without her.” She smiled. “Avalon must have been a paradise for us, but maybe Nam Woohyun didn’t believe in a paradise without her.”

“Those words are wiser than your age.” Donghae walked in and patted the girl’s head. “You sound a lot like your father.”

“That’s what Mother always tells me,” she grinned. The kids slowly formed a line as their teacher led them out of the building. Mason stayed back, hovering over the photo for a while.

                                                                      ****************************************

The Central Paragon Park was its most beautiful in October, the crisp leaves of fall dancing in the cool wind and spreading their colours among joggers, readers, picnics and truant college students. About five kilometres from the intricately designed fountain and a ten-minute cobblestoned walk from the lake, one would find a finely polished black gate and fence, bordering an oval-shaped expanse embellished with engraved stones and nameplates.

This particular graveyard was generally empty, only seeing visits from tourists and audacious couples looking for privacy. Kids never ventured here but that day, while a parade was singing and dancing down the streets, a woman was standing in the middle of all those graves. The child next to her would raise eyebrows --- why bring an innocent young boy to such a place? She bent down to her knees, caressing her son’s hair and touching the name on the stone.

“Who is this Mama?”

The woman smiled at the sound of the chirpy voice and said, “This is Kim Myungsoo.”

“Myungsoo?” the kid said. “Even my name is Myungsoo!”

“I named you after him,” the mother said. “He was a very, very, brave man and he saved your mother’s life. He was… my best friend.”

“Don’t cry Mama!” The boy climbed up on his mother’s back and hugged her, making her laugh as tears fell down her face. She read the words that had been engraved in her memory as much as they were engraved in the stone. Kim Myungsoo, his mediocre jokes will be momentarily forgotten for his selfess friendship.

“I’ll tell Dad you cried,” the boy playfully warned. The woman pulled his cheek and looked up to find her husband waiting at the gates, two cups of coffee and the take-away bag from the burger place around the corner balanced in his arms.

“Your favourite Chicken and Cheese!” the man exclaimed, trying to rein in his son’s excited embrace while handing over the coffee rack to his wife. He looked at her face and smiled.

“If only Myungsoo knew he could make Im Yoona cry.” The man’s comment was obliterated by a playful smack on his arm.

“If only Paragon knew that Chief Lee Howon needed help carrying coffee mugs,” Yoona smiled, leaving a peck on his lips before they sat down on the grass, listening to their son’s exciting day at PE, how Reverend Suho had joined in for a game of football before leaving the kids to Coach Luhan.

“I met Donghae today,” Howon said. Yoona’s eyes lit up and the parents began discussing how their friends Kris and Baekhyun had brought up such smart kids, how even years later the name Nam Woohyun would send a shock of life into everyone’s pulse.

“Long time no see.” The family turned around to find a wispy looking man with a bandage on his head, smiling at them.

“Zhang Sehun!” Myungsoo shouted and ran towards him, hugging the famous racer’s leg. “My friends didn’t believe me when I told them you’re Papa’s friend.”

“Hey,” Howon said, feigning annoyance. “Am I not famous enough?”

“Your birthday is in a week right? I’ll be there and we’ll watch your friends’ reaction.” Sehun pulled the boy’s cheek and greeted his old friends.

“I thought you would be with Tao and Dayoung, at the parade,” Yoona said.

“Tao insisted on leaving them both alone so,” Sehun shrugged, making the couple laugh.

“Still as stubborn,” Howon commented.

“And romantic,” Yoona teased. “I heard he booked an entire theater so that Dayoung could watch her favourite musical.”

“Did Tao mention that she didn’t like the absence of an audience?” Sehun sat himself down and grabbed a french fry. “Besides, Himchan is always the er.”

“He’s the family she never had,” Yoona said, her voice fading into a nostalgic smile. “I remember the way she had fitted in so well, almost as if she knew she belonged with us.”

Sehun nodded, letting their thoughts drift off for a while. He wiped off the crumbs from his hand and stood up. “Well, I need to go now. I came here to see Suzy.”

“You might just bump into Shin,” Hoya called out.

“Let me know what time the dinner starts!” Sehun shouted back. He pulled Myungsoo’s cheek one last time and walked off towards the furthest corner of the cemetery.

“Should we tell him?” Yoona whispered.

“Nah,” Howon said after some thought. “Chanyeol said the proposal would be more special if the element of surprise was intact.”

“I wonder how Jiyong would react,” she wondered aloud. “Didn’t Dara and him have a history?”

“That was long ago,” Howon said. “And Jiyong’s been frequenting the library a little too often.”

“What does that have to do with Dara and Chanyeol?”

“Once you see their new librarian, you’ll know why. This really pretty boy called Ren. They weren’t even talking to each other but I had to walk away. The way Jiyong acts all sassy around him… ugh.”

Yoona finished her coffee and waited for her husband. She lifted herself off the grass and reached out her hand for him, who gladly took it then lifted his son onto his back. The family continued discussing whether Chanyeol would fumble during his proposal or whether Dara would be the party pooper and ask if he was joking.

The autumn leaves swirled around them and from a distance, they looked like an ordinary family, content and grateful, not a hint of a wintry past on them.

                                                                   ****************************************

“Jongin-ah, he’s---”

“I know! I know! On my way!” The man named Jongin ran out the door, the tea tray in his hand. He greeted all the old people sitting out in the garden and using his leg, opened the gate to the cottage residing at the edge of the forest.

Hawaii had been kind. Several of the East Paragon residents had sacrificed their homes for the battle and in compensation the island’s representative had offered a home for them. There was no contest, Kim Jongin was the best man and he generously took the responsibility of the temporary shelter. As time passed, the families moved out but most of the old people stayed back, preferring the quiet chatter of the birds and the sea to the fast-paced cities. Jongin stayed back with them and became their son, their brother, and their caretaker.

This particular cottage was the biggest in the area. While other residents lived in flats and cabins, this particular cottage had been designed for what seemed to be a family. Round and white, the shaggy brown roof hanging over it, the flowerbeds colourful and blooming, the cherry blossoms a beautiful finish… Jongin had made sure that this cottage remained as beautiful as it was first built to be.

“Is that my tea?”

Jongin smiled, responding to the voice before he could even place the tray on the table. He took hold of the wheelchair and placed the shawl across the old man’s shoulders.

“There’s a little nip in the air,” he told the old man, carefully rolling the chair next to the steaming mug and the radio. “The Evening Tea, as usual?”

“As usual,” the man chuckled and waited for the speaker to crackle to life.

“---as the twentieth anniversary celebrations of Avalon continue, why don’t we make this report a little interesting. What do you say Mynah?”

“Absolutely! Let us brush the dust off an urban legend about the Beautiful Stranger. For listeners who don’t know, the Beautiful Stranger refers to a rumour about the Black Knight and the reason behind his suicide. We all know that after leaving the General’s mansion the Black Knight had taken a needle, with what was later found out to be the antidote to the INVICTUS gene, and stabbed it into himself. What puzzles a lot of people is that well, the Black Knight was a normal human. His death was confirmed because well, if he survived, he would have been a) heavily deformed by now and b) as many scientists, several cells in his brain that control the recesses of his past would have gone defunct. An old, deformed, amnesiac. Man, isn't that scary."

“Which brings us to another question, that is, the identity of the disfigured body he had carried with him. Paramedics and police authorities refuse to tell us who that person was but witnesses at that time remember the long wavy locks of a woman.”

“You know Byunghee, the moment you said that I thought of the only photograph of the Black Knight, the one in the Paragon History Museum.”

“That suspicious black and white photograph? Well definitely.”

“I mean think about it. We know there was an unknown island serving as a training camp, we also know that the Black Knight in the photograph is on that island because well, it’s not like you would be on a random beach holiday just months before storming a revolution.”

“The question however is about that lady. It almost looks like her face was rubbed out, like purposely you know?”

“Uh-huh, I totally agree with you. Well, whoever that woman was, she must have been awfully dear to the hero of Avalon.”

“And no matter what anyone says, that photograph is eternal. We will always have the Black Knight gazing at the Beautiful Stranger, in the middle of what seems to be a beautiful island. Now that is a love worth remembering. On that note, we have a brand new pop ballad by vocal duo Byun Baekhyun and Kim Jongdae. Listeners, introducing to you, A Mermaid’s Tears.”

As the piano replaced the intense discussion, Jongin stared at the old man who had been gazing out at the cherry blossom branches leaning over the window. He took a sip of his tea and upon finding the young man’s eyes on him, gave a smile. He looked back at the setting sun and said, “Isn’t that a sad story Jongin?” He turned back and found his caretaker wiping his eyes. "Well you're crying now aren't you? It's just an urban legend Jongin. Nothing else."

“Yes Woohyun,” he replied, a ghost of a smile on his face. “Just an urban legend."

The cherry blossoms and the different colours of the sky overpowered the reflection of the old man’s deformity on the windowpane. The redness of the raw skin, unhealing and tattooed for eternity, Jongin silently cried as the old man began humming along to the sad melody.