Field Expert

Searching For Avalon

                                                                              SUNGGYU

After introductions, we finally settled down. There was no grouping present in the room, what with everyone sitting next to a new acquaintance. Our attention was on five people at the centre of the semi circle made by us -- namely Jiyong, Woohyun, Suho, Kris and Baekho. The rest were either sitting on couches and chairs or finding a comfortable place on the ground. Kairi was on one end of the circle while Jiyeon was at the centre, with Yong Guk and Sehun flanking her sides. Nicole had been in deep conversation with Lay ever since they had met and though the jealousy was a little stingy to tolerate, I had been thrown reassuring smiles and small brushes against the back of her hand to hold me in place. 

I had also found myself a new friend.

"Now that I think about it, I don't even know your surname." I turned to look at the person I was talking to, his wide eyes hiding a sense of fear I was well aware of. 

"I'm Lee... Sung... Jong..." he murmured, bowing his head in a formal way that was well past our time. I let out an awkward laugh and looked up. Seriously...

"Are you scared of me?" I said. Sungjong shook his head and smiled, the prim and proper wave of his hand indicating tension hidden beneath his calm exterior. I found his eyes glancing at Luna and I knew he wanted to be 'saved'.

"Why are you scared of me?" I asked. 

"I'm not scared, really!"

"You're lying!"

"I'm not!"

"You lie to your hyung?"

Sungjong then took a deep breath in and sighed. I was enjoying the way the irritation was building inside him but before he could vent it out, Baekho had cleared his throat. I turned my attention to the man, though not missing out on the relieved sigh I heard from beside me. 

"The date today is 29 July," Baekho started, his eyes scanning our faces, a look that dared us to interrupt him. My sight held him in at an admirable distance, the aura of a military leader slowly seeping out of his pretty face.

"We are still not complete," he said, nodding at all of us. "There will be more from the INVICTUS team joining us but for now, we can go ahead with the first phase of our plans." Having said that, Baekho turned to nod at Kris, who nodded back and stepped forward. His towering figure commanded authority without a word, but the warmth in his eyes showcased his peace-loving personality.

"The School of EXO... I'm sure most of you remember?" When murmurs of recognition rumbled through the floor, Kris smiled and continued. "When the Shaolin Temple was destroyed to make space for NEPTUNE, the cyber-hydro project created for using water resources for power, many of the left-over teachers and students shifted south into what was previously known as South Korea. They were aware of the rapid changes taking place and knew that soon, there'll be no palce for a discipline like theirs. They wanted to save the world but in their own way. That is how the School of EXO was created.

"Suho and I were fourteen when we joined and after seven years, we returned to the new world that had been created. We were to teach this new urban religion and spread this philosophy to one and all. We met acquaintances and made friends."

At this point, I caught Suho wince a bit and in response, Kris lightly rested his hand on his shoulder. 

"It's alright," Suho whispered and smiled, the dangerous smile that could hide a thousand pains. Sooyoung had told me about Suho's story and I was in awe of him for joining our cause. He had a life back in Paragon, someone waiting for him. But he chose this. 

"A few tragedies took place," Kris said, his eyes furrowing a bit. "Our teacher had been detained for 'conspiracy'. But we also met a few students who were keen on leaving Paragon and joining us." He turned around and waved at the rest of EXO. They smiled and nodded, a few even offering a ninety-degree bow. I widened my eyes. Long time no see. 

"Following the quick and last minute recruitment, we returned to the School of EXO and began training the people who are sitting among you. Lay, Luhan, Kai, Sehun, Baekhyun, Xiumin, D.O, Tao, Chanyeol, Chen, Suho and I --- we are EXO. And it was us who saw the two of you."

"We knew," Suho picked up, letting Kris take a step back, "that the only way Paragon could take a leap towards a change was if these two families could come together. We are aware of the events that have taken place in your respective lives, aware of the hurt and revenge that has been nurtured inside of you. But it is important to remember that no fire can put out another fire. We need to be different but more powerful. We need to be a step ahead of them and with knowledge of their weakness...."

Right then, Woohyun stiffened and narrowed his eyes. I knew that look. Everytime he narrowed his eyes, it was a sign that he was attempting to control his anger. Of course, it was no guarantee that he was succeeding. But the look itself was often haunting of the fatal predicament that lay for someone who dared to challenge him. Weakness. Paragon's weakness. The very thought could make Woohyun's blood sing with hunger. He needed Avalon, more than any of us. 

What was Avalon? I went through the conversation that had taken place prior to this sit-down. Dayoung had tried to explain Avalon as best as she could but the bruises forming on her arms had overwhelmed her too much. As of now, she was lying unconscious on Ricky's bunk bed. Anyone could notice the fleeting glances that were being thrown that way by a certain someone. It took a shake of his shoulder by Kairi to calm him down, but even then, Woohyun was trembling with curiosity. 

Suho realized what he had said and gave a cautionary peek at Woohyun. Kairi gave a small smile and waved her palm, as if to say, 'go on'. Suho nodded and smiled and I mentally chuckled when I saw Kairi being dazzled by it. Thank God for Woohyun and his blind temper. No one wanted a dead priest.

"We need more than just assumptions and myths." Hoya stood up, his hand raised like a school kid. He put it down and fixed the hem of his shirt before speaking again. 

"Even if we have information," he continued, jerking his head at the sleeping figure, "we need to have a reliable plan, a realtime observation of what is out there."

Suho smiled and turned to look at Baekho, whose face had now broken into a wide cheeky grin. 

"Ah...." Luhan said, nodding in comprehension. The non-EXO members standing around him raised his eyebrows at him for explanation. He simply waved at the leaders and said, "This will be fun."

Woohyun broke out of his angry stupor and pointed at Sungjong, who yelped a little. "Yes hyung?"

"Sungjong," Woohyun called out, "Luna, Hyoyeon, Hoya and.... Yoona. Stand up."

They did so, though it took Yoona a bit more time. When I noticed the darkness in L's eyes, I realized why.

Kris nodded and whispered something to Suho who nodded back. He began calling out names too -- Sehun, Baekhyun, Luhan and D.O. It was then Baekho's turn, who picked out Taemin, JR, Chunji and Zico. Within moments of doing so, they rushed into a room with a suspicious black trolley. 

Baekho, Kris, Suho and Woohyun looked towards Jiyong who yawned and raised his palm. "Okay okay..... Daehyun!"

"Just one?" Baekho asked, looking irritated. Jiyong quirked an eyebrow. He pouted his lips and looked around. 

"L.Joe and Jaesang hyung."

Everyone looked around. Who the hell was Jaesang?

The question was answered moments later when a beep was heard and the door opened. Fifteen people stood at the doorway, calmly entering as if the sight of a massive crowd and their sudden appearance was only so ordinary. One man stood out. 

"Jaesang hyung!" Jiyong called out and ran to hug him, jumping in the fat man's arms with his legs wrapped around his waist. 

A few team members began chuckling. I saw Yoona narrow her eyes and then widen them. 

"Wait!"

The mini celebration stopped and everyone turned to look at her. She moved forward, her hand raised and pointing at him. L.Joe stood next to her, his face holding the same shock and awe. 

"If you're Jaesang....." Yoona hollered, "and they're sending you off with us.... then that means...."

"We're the impostors of group," L.Joe muttered. "Aren't we?"

Right at that moment, a crossfire of shouts and howls erupted. 

"QUIET!"

The fat man looked at us and shook his head. "Amateurs," he muttered. 

"Why did he make you think that?" L asked, then looked at Woohyun. "Is it true?"

Woohyun simply nodded. It was his turn to look confused though. "Yeah Yoona. How do you know Jaesang?"

"He's not Jaesang," Yoona spat out. The said man winced a bit. "He's the most notorious impostor, how do you not know him?!"

"There's no impostor by the name of Jaesang," I murmured. The man heard me and grinned. 

"But you must have heard my other name," he said, sticking out his hand to meet mine.

"Do NOT shake his hand!" Yoona shouted. "He was the one who conned my parents and staved off 800,000 won from them!"

My hand hung in mid-air and I looked between the two. Jaesang looked a little amused, then shrugged. He shook my hand and I heard Yoona hiss, like a sleeping dragon that had been stirred. 

"What's your other name?" I asked. I saw Yoona roll her eyes and Jiyong look up at his hyung in admiration.

The man swiped back his hair with his hand and in a grand gesture, extended his arms. "I'm Psy."

A/N : And the other fourteen, you ask?

Top - BIG BANG
JB & JR - JJ Project
Bae Suzy - miss A
Dongwoon - BEAST
Doojoon - BEAST
Hyunseung - BEAST
Kikwang - BEAST
Yoseob - BEAST
Dara - 2NE1
Jinwoon - 2AM
Wooyoung - 2PM
Minho - SHINee
Key - SHINee

THE ARMY IS OFFICIALLY COMPLETE.

P.S. - OKAY THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT. MOST OF YOU PROBABLY KNOW ABOUT MY NEXT FIC 'MAD LOVERS' STARRING EXO. I WANT YOU TO LET ME KNOW OF THE BEST PERSON TO GO TO FOR FANFIC TRAILERS. I ALREADY HAVE SOMEONE FOR THE POSTER BUT THE TRAILER IS SOMETHING THAT I'VE RECENTLY THOUGHT OF AND I'VE DECIDED TO INCLUDE IT. SO IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW! IF YOU'RE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOUR OWN EDITING SKILLS, FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A SAMPLE OF YOUR OWN TRAILER BASED ON AVALON. THANK YOU!