Safe

Searching For Avalon

Listen to Take Care by Drake ft. Rihanna : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86m44hQgy0

 

Jiyeon could feel the power of her presence reflecting back as she saw the crowd of people clearing her path. She felt like Moses walking through the miraculous bisection of the Red Sea, though this time, she was anything but His prophet. 

Female officials were made to wear masks, a rule that was crafted by the General himself. He had explained how it was important if the issue of gender equality was to be heavily pursued. Though the law seemed twisted and a few women's rights organizations had fought back, he had shut them up with one sentence :

"Is it not a fact that women often take advantage of their beauty and get away with half of the world's problems? I want the women in Paragon to be as capable as its men and if that includes not being subjected to bias by wearing a veil, then I see no trouble in it. Unless the women themselves find that they are powerless without their face and their charms."

Which was why Jiyeon was heading down towards the Rapid Express, which took her to North Paragon where the General sat in his office. Since North Paragon housed most of the core government offices and banks, the trains heading there had maximum security measures to adhere to. But one look at the midnight blue veil that Jiyeon wore and everyone made way. She walked through the body scanner, waiting for it to match the microchip inserted inside her arm with it's registered data. The light turned green and she walked out.

Suddenly, an arm shot out and grabbed her.

"WHA-??"

Jiyeon froze as soon as she recognized the man. Her lips parted in shock and she trembled as the man removed her veil and murmured, "Don't do this."

Jiyeon breathed out his name. "Baekhyun."

 

                                                               *******************************************************

"You need to explain what you're doing here."

"You need to explain WHY you're doing what you're doing."

Jiyeon lifted her chin and stubbornly stared back, even though a part of her understood that Baekhyun's question was legitimate.

"Ten years, Baekhyun. You actually expect me to just accept your act of concern? What is this, gratitude?"

Baekhyun sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "It's not that at all, I--"

"I need to get to work, I don't have time for this." Jiyeon was about to walk back out of the bathroom, only to have him pull her back again.

"LISTEN TO ME." Baekhyun held Jiyeon's arms and shook her. "Jiyong is out of his mind, he had no idea what he was saying when he told you to go and...." Baekhyun looked around and nodded. "You know what."

Jiyeon scoffed. "And who are you to know what Jiyong wants and doesn't want? What about me?"

"You're telling me you want to go and sign your own death contract? Is that what you want?" Baekhyun hissed. 

"Don't leave me please...."

"I need to. This is what I want. I'll be back."

"You never came back," Jiyeon whispered. Baekhyun blinked at the change in her tone, his expression softening the moment he realized what she was talking about.

"Jiyeon-ah..."

Jiyeon shook her head, trying to push Baekhyun away. "You joined Kris and Joonmyun and you never came back. You said you will, you said you would find out about my sister. You never did." Her eyes welled up with tears and for a moment, she thought Baekhyun would leave her, just like he had done before. Leave her to cry by herself, expect her to be strong.

Jiyeon gasped as Baekhyun embraced her, removing the headwrap that was covering her face. He kissed her forehead, letting his lips linger there while he said, "I'll take care of you. I'm stronger now. We're here. Jiyong is sitting with Joonmyun and K at headquarters. Kris and Chen are headed with the rest of M to the Hidden, where the real Kairi is. She's safe and she too will fight with us."

All this was spoken in a whisper, spoken like they were on a running train and they had timed each other to jump out at the same time. Those words were spoken like the time was coming nearer and as Jiyeon felt the rumble in her heart alert her to where she was and who she was with, she felt Baekhyun's lips crash onto hers.

The kiss lasted for no more than three seconds, by then which Jiyeon had pushed away. She took in a deep breath and pressed her hands against Baekhyun's chest. "Don't."

Baekhyun looked down at her and cupped her face. "What's wrong Jiyeon? I promise I won't leave. We--"

"Yong Guk," she said. She looked up in his eyes. "I'm with Yong Guk now."

Baekhyun froze, his lips open like he had said something that was caught in the space between him and the only girl he loved.

"I'm sorry," she said, not ready to look away. "It's not your fault, but it's not mine either. Yong Guk was there when I needed someone, anyone. He was more than anything I had ever hoped for and --"

"It's okay," Baekhyun intervened. "Don't.... don't explain it to me. There's nothing to explain."

He didn't step back and wondered if Jiyeon had changed her mind regarding the foolish plan. Just when Jiyeon slammed open the door, Baekhyun caught her again, this time in a tight hold.

"Let me go!" she shouted. 

"I'm not leaving without you," Baekhyun growled. "I'm taking you back home, I'm taking you back to Yong Guk."

Jiyeon struggled but Baekhyun managed to hold on to her. "We need to work together Jiyeon!" He kept her close to his chest, murmuring the words next to her ear in case there were any eavesdroppers. "You'll get your answers, but not at the cost of your life. Let me... let me protect you. Please."

Baekhyun knew he had won. Jiyeon was already crying, her eyelier running down her face. Baekhyun removed his robe, revealing a simple suit he had been wearing underneath. He wrapped the long cloth around her body and patted her head, shushing her while she weeped. 

"I'm here now," he whispered like a lullaby, guiding her out into the alley he had come from. "You're safe now."