Impostor

Searching For Avalon

“She’s Lauren’s friend,” Jiyeon sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. Zelo blinked at Yong Guk and L.Joe, the two as confused as him.

“Who is Lauren?” he asked.

“Joon’s disciple.”

L.Joe cursed, Zelo’s jaw fell slack and Yong Guk immediately placed his arm around her shoulder.

“Do you,” Jiyeon said, lifting her head for all to see the anxiety in her eyes, “have any idea what danger we’re in? If they find her missing? If they find out that an outlaw was her mentor?”

“But Kairi is the General’s daughter,” Yong Guk remarked. Jiyeon shook her head.

“She’s right,” L.Joe agreed. “Haven’t you seen the news? Paragon’s left Kairi for dead. They don’t care whether she returns or not. If she does, it’s her funeral.”

“Or not.”

The familiar voice made the four stand up and stare at the entrace with wide eyes. Daehyun, Youngjae and Himchan emerged from their rooms while Jongup, who had been lying down on the couch, shot up in attention.

Jiyong glanced at them and chuckled. “I’m not that scary you know?”

                                                                                             *********************************************

                                                                                                                         KAIRI

Either something was wrong with me, or them.

Suddenly things had changed in Paradise. Jiyoon was being nice to me, Nicole started looking at me like I had a bear sitting on my head, while SungGyu, Sungyeol, Sungjong and Dongwoo began treating me like their little sister. L was the only predictable man, thank God. But after he flashed me a kind smile during lunch, I realized even the poor guy had been infected.

What was going on?

“Woohyun?”

Woohyun turned around, a contemplative look on his face. He smiled upon seeing me and I smiled back.

“So you do smile,” he joked. I rolled my eyes. “Look whose talking.”

Woohyun’s smile widened and the two of us sat down. We were at our spot, atop the plateau overlooking the entire area. We could see a bunch of villagers helping Yoona and L carry a big pot of stew to the table. Training had sort of ended, what with a change in our plans.

I frowned. “Sorry for my outburst.”

Woohyun glanced at me then sighed. “You don’t need to apologize. I understand what you’re feeling.”

“It’s just that…” I shook my head, blinking away tears. “Dayoung is so… small. And as much as I want to deny it, I know what they’ll do if they find out. I knew it along. I had always known Paragon’s rules. I just realized what they really mean.”

While I spoke, Woohyun stared at me. After I was done talking, he nodded and looked down at his fingers.

“Here.”

I faced him, reeling in shock when he took hold of my hand. I watched as him as he entwined our fingers together, looking at them in fascination. He saw my face and smiled, giving me jitters. I had to get used to this.

“Now tell me,” he said, leaning in closer. “Are you scared?”

My mouth opened, but words didn’t come out. Woohyun squeezed my hand and I sighed. “Yes.”

Woohyun grimaced. “I was hoping for another answer.”

I pouted. “Well, sorry for not being a warrior princess.”

I pulled out my hand, only to have it locked in his hold. “Wait.”

Suddenly Woohyun held my face in his hands and gazed at me. I looked here and there, anywhere but at him, only to have him chide me.

“Look at me.”

I did. A new feeling erupted, a feeling of warmth, a fire within.

“Now, tell me if you’re scared.”

As I looked into his eyes, every single strand of thought that had seamed themselves together broke apart. The sounds around me dissolved into a pindrop silence and the beauty of Paradise ran inside a dark room. All I could see was Woohyun. All I could hear was Woohyun. Nothing but Woohyun.

Courage bubbled up inside me and I breathed, “No. I’m not scared.”

Woohyun smiled and moved away. All sights and sounds returned to their place, but I sat there shivering. Woohyun was still looking at me.

Conscious, I glanced away, trying to absorb the view of the small hills standing atop the village. I felt my hand creep towards my stomach and clench it.

Something… was happening. To me. Inside me.

                                                                                          ******************************************

                                                                                                                            L

“Just ONE picture, L.”

Yoona looked at me like I was the annoying little brother of the group. I pursed my lips and took a picture of her and a few old women from the village. I bowed to them and was about to place the camera back in it’s place when something caught my eye.

I turned around and looked up. Woohyun and Kairi were sitting by the edge of the plateau’s cliff, talking to each other. I looked around me. Everyone was busy doing something or the other.

“Ignorant fools,” I muttered. At that moment, Kairi looked away. Woohyun on the other hand was still staring at her. I felt my expression soften and I nodded to myself.

“Just one picture,” I whispered to myself and heard the snapshot sound. I glanced at the picture and smiled.

Perfect.

                                                                                            ***************************************

“Hold it bro…”

Jiyong held up his palm, signalling Himchan to shut up. Jiyeon looked at him in shock as she tried to absorb what Jiyong had just told them.

“You want me to… what…”

Jiyong leaned forward on the table and clasped his hands together. “They won’t do anything to you. I promise. You just need to enter the office without your veil and say, “Dad, I’m back.”

“Jiyong---” Yong Guk growled.

“Don’t worry,” Jiyong waved off nonchalantly. “She won’t be married off to Joon right away. Well, I hope not.”

Yong Guk fumed and left the room. He looked over his shoulder and hollered, “Jiyeon.”

Jiyeon stayed in her place. From her peripheral view she saw Dayoung playing with Ricky, the latter looking more like a kid than his counterpart. Jiyong followed her gaze.

“They will kill her.”

Jiyeon her lips and while closing her eyes, with a shaky breath, said, “I’ll do it.”

“JIYEON!” Yong Guk stormed inside the kitchen, only to be blocked by their leader.

“Stay calm Yong Guk,” Jiyong tersely warned. “You remember what happened the last time you guys lost control?”

Himchan pursed his lips and pulled Yong Guk away, patting his shoulder. Yong Guk shrugged him off while Zelo watched him storm off to his room.

Jiyeon murmured an apology as he walked away. A hand lifted her chin up and she saw Jiyong smile and nod at Dayoung. “Time to study about Kairi.”